Start by marking “Dignity: The Essential Role It Plays in Resolving Conflict” as Want to Read:
Dignity: The Essential Role It Plays in Resolving Conflict

Dignity: The Essential Role It Plays in Resolving Conflict

The desire for dignity is universal and powerful. It is a motivating force behind all human interaction—in families, in communities, in the business world, and in relationships at the international level. When dignity is violated, the response is likely to involve aggression, even violence, hatred, and vengeance. On the other hand, when people treat one another with dignit

Published September 6th 2011 by Yale University Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dignity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dignity

Tina Panik
Required reading for anyone who encounters a fellow human throughout the course of their day. Includes practical tips for conflict, difficult conversations, and repairing personal pain, making this a perfect tool for managers. Hicks shares the 10 elements of dignity, 10 temptations for violating it, strategies for handling narcissists, and the epiphany from one of her clients that "I cannot take in your experience and keep my sense of who I am intact at the same time" (pg 109).

Brian Tucker
Apr 09, 2017 Brian Tucker rated it it was amazing
Required reading.
Terry
Mar 30, 2013 Terry rated it it was amazing
I like this book so much that I've given away several copies to friends and recommended it to everyone I've talked with, including the entire management team in my office. Donna Hicks takes concepts of human interaction that we are all aware of and packages them together as the "dignity model". Hicks defines dignity as the inherent worth of each human being. She maintains that the root of human conflict, from individual to international conflict, lies in dignity violations. Her intent with this ...more
Teri Peterson
Jan 26, 2015 Teri Peterson rated it it was amazing
Everyone in the whole world needs to read this book. Ignore the subtitle (if you are one for whom the word "conflict" has really specific meaning). This is a book about life and relationships...about things we all do and don't do. As we move through the world together, we need the things this book teaches.

Bonus: the chapters are short and full of real stories. This is not an abstract concept book--it's real and immediate and it's easy to find oneself in each example.

Read it. Now, please. :-)
Aubrey Eicher
May 23, 2017 Aubrey Eicher rated it it was amazing
Never have I heard such a thorough dissection and practical implementation of this topic.

I've read lots of books on practical application of social skills, but never one that does as in depth/deep as this one.

Dr. Hicks goes through many real-life scenarios of people hurting others' dignity and then also people mending relationships and giving true, healing attention to others' pain and selves (respecting their dignity).

I wish I'd read/listened to this years ago. Glad I did now. I've gained a
Sridharan
May 27, 2017 Sridharan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for relationship lovers.

Must read by everybody. I learnt what dignity means and how to honor it. I am applying in my family relationships and i found it works well. In this world of impatience, treating and seeing the other as a fellow and just and simple human being with his own spirit, is critical and essential. This is what i have learnt. Actually this book will provide a healing touch to the family relationships in the minimum and extended to higher levels.
Shannon
Jun 03, 2017 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking

This book helped me identify ways that I inadvertently denied dignity to my loved ones and myself. The first part of the book was a little slow getting through but once I got to the heart of the book it really grabbed me.
Danita
Sep 08, 2011 Danita rated it liked it
Donna Hicks has hit upon a really useful and effective way of framing conflict and explaining why people are sometimes willing to literally put their lives on the line when they react to a seemingly insignificant perceived insult or indignity. Her language of dignity doesn't exactly incorporate entirely original ideas, but it's a way of framing the issues I haven't seen before and I think it's golden for one-on-one conflicts, small groups such as collective living environments and workplaces, or ...more
cheeseblab
Nov 06, 2011 cheeseblab rated it liked it
This is another quick read that I chose to elongate as looterature. Everyone at the Press was invited to take a copy of the bound proof, which is sort of a paperback edition with the typos still in it (so please, when you get one of these copies, from my publisher or any other, don't make snide comments about the editing or the proofreading--you don't know how much the editor did accomplish, and the proofreader has by definition not had a chance to fix what you're looking at).

Anyway, this is a r
Cindy
Nov 19, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I took the author's class and this book was required reading for it. Her book, background and class is amazing. Dignity is a wonderful read about how to relate to others in the world and is applicable to any relationship that is in conflict, not in conflict, or that you simply want to make better -- romantic, family, friendship, and professional. This book changed my life and it's going to be my favorite book for a long time. I hope that everyone in the world learns dignity and practice it daily ...more
Adam Ross
A nice book discussing the central importance of dignity in human interaction, relationships, and communication. Hicks is one of the first researchers to work on the concept of dignity and its psychological imperative for international conflict and conflict resolution, both on the individual and the community level. She outlines ten things that dignity requires, and then explores ten things that kill or take dignity away from people.
Cara
Mar 12, 2013 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Donna Hicks, who has years of international experience as a conflict resolution facilitator, outlines how treating yourself and others with dignity can transform situations and bring healing. Each element she presents within the dignity paradigm is illustrated with a real-life example. The way she presents the role of dignity is organized and easy to understand. The book resonated with my own life experiences and was an enlightening read.
Linda
Oct 25, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
Hicks has a remarkable program to bring about understanding between hostile entities.
I had to skip through the introduction and get to the examples, then I was hooked.
Very powerful results are shown, for example, between an Irish Catholic and an Irish Protestant.
I highly recommend this for anyone.
Molly
Jan 06, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I will read it again. Donna Hicks makes an impeccable case for the root cause of much of human conflict is the refusal to maintain dignity in relationships. I will recommend this book to everyone.
Christina Boyle
Acceding other's point of view can oftentimes provide the extra boost in winning negotiation. It is sad how narcissists are really just the far gone result of a lack of recognition and acceptance that stunts a full grown adult in perma-childhood
Andy Johnson
Dec 12, 2015 Andy Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Love this Dignity Model. Ten components of human dignity and ten ways we can violate one another with indignity. Very important contribution to the literature on conflict. Highly recommend.
John
Oct 16, 2013 John rated it really liked it
Useful in thinking about conflict resolution, from a scholar who works on international conflicts. However, the social aspects and causes of conflict aren't really treated. It's an "individualist" approach. Thus, questions about social justice could get lost in the resolution of the conflict.
Melinda
May 11, 2013 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent and highly readable book on an unappreciated factor - dignity - that (when not recognized) underlies much human conflict.
Justin Dixon
Jan 18, 2014 Justin Dixon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Skip her intro, it almost takes away from the rest of the book, but the book itself is very useful and has re-framed how I approach interactions.
janicec100
Jan 19, 2014 janicec100 rated it really liked it
This is worth reading for those in the work world or those not in the work world. Respecting each other's dignity is important everywhere.
Tor Voller
Oct 21, 2015 Tor Voller rated it it was amazing
This is by far one of the best books I have ever read when dealing with conflict. I highly recommend it if you, like me, are looking for ways of not running from conflict.
Mary
If you are a person, consider reading this book.
Mike Walters
Aug 03, 2014 Mike Walters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mike by: Johnny Mitchell
Even when you think you are comfortable in how you interact, and treat people with care, this book gives you great insight on what to do and what to avoid. A must read for any leader of people.
Bill
Apr 01, 2013 Bill rated it really liked it
It's been a while now since I read it, but I think it was great. Pretty straightforward, but helpful and clear-headed morals and reasoning.
Shelie
Jun 16, 2012 Shelie rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I cannot think of anyone who could not benefit from reading it. That's all. I just want everyone to read it. It will be worth your time.
Devonne West
Feb 27, 2013 Devonne West rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
If there's conflict in your life with even one person; read this book.
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2017
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2015
Lorisha A
Lorisha A rated it liked it
Oct 18, 2016
  • This Incredible Need to Believe
  • The Third Side: Why We Fight and How We Can Stop
  • The Preaching Life
  • One Thousand and One Nights, Volume 02
  • The Worst Day of My Life Ever!
  • Anatomy of a Secret Life: The Psychology of Living a Lie
  • Economics for Dummies
  • Old Testament Parallels: Laws and Stories from the Ancient Near East
  • Adult Children: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • The Search for a Nonviolent Future: A Promise of Peace for Ourselves, Our Families, and Our World
  • Algebra & Geometry: Anything But Square! (Basher Science)