Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time

Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  400 ratings  ·  48 reviews
All across America, people are knitting for peace. In yarn shops and private homes, churches and synagogues, schools and even prisons, they meet on weekday evenings or weekend afternoons to knit afghans for refugees, mittens for the homeless, socks for soldiers, or preemie caps for AIDS babies. The tradition goes back as far as Martha Washington, who spearheaded knitting e...more
Published September 13th 2011 by STC Craft | Melanie Falick Books (first published October 1st 2006)

Knitology
Knitting for Peace is an exceptional book that celebrates the long heritage of knitting for others. It tells the stories of 28 contemporary knitting-for-peace endeavors, and features patterns for easy-to-knit charity projects such as hats, socks, blankets, and bears, plus a messenger bag emblazoned with the Knitting for Peace logo. Enlivened by anecdotal sidebars and quotations from both knitters and peacemakers, this inspiring book also includes everything readers need to know to start their ow...more
atla
Feb 03, 2009 atla rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any crafter with a big heart
I've looked through this book quite a few times at bookstores, but never wanted to shell out the cash for it. So when I found it at the library, I finally picked it up and read it. It's a good read for someone who wants to knit or crochet (though it only has patterns for knitting) for a charitable cause, but isn't sure which organization best suits their abilities and desires. I found two groups that really tugged at me. The Mother Bear Project, which is "is dedicated to providing comfort and ho...more
Dana
This book is truly inspiring and very touching. The author tells the history of wartime knitting and showcases 28 charitable knitting organizations. Some groups donate knitted items to others, like blankets, and hats for babies in hospitals, hats and blankets for poor people who live in cold areas, stuffed animals for children, and shawls and blankets to go to people in old folks homes, homeless shelters and other places. Other groups are those that make and sell their knitted items bringing muc...more
Shelba
Compiled by a social worker, the patterns are from various charity organizations and have been well tested. You can add intarsia if you want a picture, or find a yarn of similar guage that is incredible to liven up something that is plain. The bottome line: These patterns work. You will also be inspired by the many different groups doing good for others.
Becky Klein
Nov 07, 2007 Becky Klein rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who knits
What an inspiring book. After reading it I wanted to contact every knitter I knew to start a charity project. The book gives you the background of the various knitting charities in the US, including stories of people who have benefited from the work. There are lots of projects too and all of them are simple, meaning a new knitter could take them on.
pathic
Jul 10, 2007 pathic rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beginning knitters
Shelves: knitting
This book has a lot of good basic knitting patterns: baby blankets, hats, teddy bears, etc. I enjoyed the stories behind some of the charities I've read about in various knitting magazines. If you find yourself wanting to knit, but needing a recipient, this book fits the bill.
Becky
Reading this book gave me the idea to knit something for everyone on my holiday list and donate it in their name to an appropriate charity. Just reading it makes you feel good about yourself.
Linda Caldwell
Made me want to k1 p1 for the world.....
Rhiannon
Jul 04, 2013 Rhiannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters, charity workers
This book serves the double purpose of action and information. If you are looking to do some knitting work for a charity this book will give you a variety of options to choose which suits your need. This book supplies you with patterns and instructions for knitted donations as well as hooking you up with a website and contact information. It's also just a great read if you are looking for an uplifting look at how people are helping others through knitting, now and in the past.

There is always th...more
Ryan
This was not what I was expecting it to be (I freely admit I rarely read book jackets or blurbs)but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was expecting just another knitting pattern book but was greatly surprised by the history of knitting and the different organizations new and old who knit for the good of others. Most of the things in this book I never knew about and was enthused to look up more information about the many organizations and projects. Good Job.
Claudia
It is so difficult to find an adaptable mitten pattern that can transfer between adult and toddler. This book had one, so I checked it out of the library. Not only does it have that mitten pattern, it has other projects that the author recommends for charity knitting, as well as contact information for various charities that accept finished hand knit projects. I liked this book so much I bought it!
Arielle Walker
Some really good things in here but I simply cannot get excited about anything supporting war, and despite the title I felt that there was a little too much American patriotism going on for me to fully enjoy reading. Still, some fantastic ideas and causes.
Tammy
A very cool look at all sorts of charity knitting organizations and projects. Includes patterns and details about how to find local organizations that could use your help.

(Provided by publisher)
Chelsey
I’ve been wanting this book all summer, but only got around to ordering it right before I went to Europe, and it was waiting for me when I got home.

I read it quickly and found it very inspiring; there were a lot of charities listed that I would love to knit for. My few complaints are that I would have liked to see more basic patterns, for novice knitters, since I will be working on converting others to our knitting club. Also, some of the stories felt a bit repetative, which probably just goes...more
Marissa  Pineda
This book is a showcase for charities to knit for. There are descriptions of each charity along with anecdotes from people who have either knitted or received the handmade items. Also included are patterns (with color photos and diagrams) for various items appropriate to each charity. If you're looking for a charitable project that allows for personal creativity, this is the book for you. Most of the patterns are geared for the beginning knitter, so it's a win-win---you can practice your craft a...more
Courtney
This is a really good book - I love all the stories about the different charities and groups that use knitting to help people. The historical info wasn't entirely new, but they presented it in a really interesting way, and gave a lot of good information without making it too dry or fact-based. There are a lot of different projects scattered through, as well. Needs to be updated a bit - some of the groups webpages have changed, and one shop they mention has shut down. The majority are still going...more
Kathleen
this book was heartbreaking, hopeful, and inspiring. the patterns are basic, so the items in this book probably aren't things i could get excited about wearing or making for my own use. however, what they lack in aesthetic quality, they more than make up for in usefulness and love. my new goal is to make at least one of each thing in this book to send to the charities that need them. i would also love to start a group for people interested in helping in this way. this book was truly inspiring.
Dayna
I love the concept of this book, the anecdotes, and the information on different organizations you can knit for. But none of the projects really jumped out at me. I know, I know ... it's not like knitting sensible things that people need is going to be really flashy. But flashy isn't even what I am looking for. It should still be fun. I found most of the projects to be awkward. Maybe once I have more experience I can come back to this and try one of the projects ... like the swirl hat.
Vicki
This book made me cry, and that's probably the only time I've ever said that about a craft book. Such an elegant little book full of stories about how knitting and sending things off to people around the world can make life better for everybody. Lots of great personal stories interspersed throughout (that's why got me crying), and some good patterns to knit for particular organizations. A really wonderful idea, and a great book.
VJ
Items to knit for various charities. From cancer patients, to premies, to homeless animals, foster children, people victimized by disasters of every stripe, there is a project to make and a list of organizations with which to get involved.

I've finished reading the introductory information and plan to make several of the project items, especially the snuggle for animal shelter inhabitants.

Inspirational read.
Theresa
I like the patterns in this book, it's what got me started on Mother Bear knitting/crocheting. The stories are fascinating as well. My one problem with the book is that some of the choices in the book design do not make sense. Page backgrounds of pastel colors with white lettering make it hard to read in anything but the best light. Other than that, I like this book.
Monica
Thanks Nicole for this recommendation. I enjoyed reading the historical aspects of knitting for a cause and finding out about all the various organizations that currently exist. I may just give knitting another try. Maybe knitting for someone else will make it more enjoyable for me, give my knitting some meaning. It's what initially got me into quilting.
Janet
This is an excellent book to read as a starting point to learning about organizations (there are so many!) that would be happy to receive knitted and crocheted items. If you've ever been interested in knitting for charity, hospitals or local organizations, I would recommend this book.
Sam
Knitting for Peace provides a wealth of information for knitters who are interested in getting involved in their community and their world through knitting. Projects range from preemie caps for babies in the ICU to blankets for shelters to clothing for Afghanistan.
 Barb Bailey
I really like the concepts in this book. It includes several good patterns and information about organizations devoted to knitting for others. I'm milling around in my mind just how I would like to become a participant in one of these knitting organizations.
Julie
Don't mind if I do. I'm still learning how to work the needles, but this book is a fantastic resource for anyone with the skill. Great opportunities to serve and reach across the nation (and in some cases, the globe).
Nicole
I liked this a lot. Some great research on the history of knitting, especially during wartime. Also, lots of good links -- I made an entire google doc of them if anyone wants access to it, just let me know!
K
This is a lovely book . . . all inspiring and cozy. I'd like to meet Betty Christiansen. She sounds like a smart lover of people. This book is VERY practical and helpful.
Chade66
If you are interested in charity knitting, this book is for you. Its lists a lot of different charities and how they got started and how you can contact them. Includes patterns!
Leslie Jem
Might get this for Mom.
  • 101 Designer One-Skein Wonders
  • Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points & Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Knit 2 Together: Patterns and Stories for Serious Knitting Fun
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together
  • Knitting Without Tears: Basic Techniques and Easy-to-Follow Directions for Garments to Fit All Sizes
  • Zen and the Art of Knitting: Exploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creaexploring the Links Between Knitting, Spirituality, and Creativity Tivity
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • Weekend Knitting: 50 Unique Projects and Ideas
  • Vogue Knitting Stitchionary Volume One: Knit & Purl: The Ultimate Stitch Dictionary from the Editors of Vogue Knitting Magazine
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Domiknitrix: Whip Your Knitting Into Shape
  • Knitting in Plain English
  • Getting Started Knitting Socks
  • The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice
Handknit Holidays: Knitting Year-Round for Christmas, Hanukkah, and Winter Solstice Girl Scouts: A Celebration of 100 Trailblazing Years Knitting Memories: Reflections on the Knitter's Life