Start by marking “Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)” as Want to Read:
Whispers in the Dark (KGI, #4)

Whispers in the Dark (KGI #4)

4.33  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,719 Ratings  ·  702 Reviews
She came to him when he needed her the most

She came to him at his lowest point. The voice of an angel, a whisper in the dark. She’s the only thing that gets Nathan Kelly through his captivity, the endless days of torture and the fear that he’ll never return to his family. With her help, he’s able to escape. But he isn’t truly free, because now she’s disappeared and he’s le
Published January 3rd 2012 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Whispers in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Whispers in the Dark

Auntee
Jan 08, 2012 Auntee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense fans
This book had an awesome beginning, holding me in it's grip from the start. Youngest Kelly brother Nathan is being held captive somewhere in Afghanistan by (probably) the Taliban. On the verge of giving up after being relentlessly tortured day after day, a voice comes to him out of the dark, urging him not to give up.

You aren't alone. I'm here.

You mustn't give up. I'm with you. I won't leave you.

Is he hallucinating? Losing his mind? Is it the voice of an angel? Or can the voice Nathan hears in
Susanne
Aug 02, 2015 Susanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: genre-other
This whole book made me so frustrated! If I would describe it with three words, those words would be weird, stressful and painful.

description

Nathan is captured in Afghanistan, and tortured daily. When he thinks he cannot take it anymore, an angel reaches out to him. Or so he thought. Shea can take on pain telepathically, and speak to Nathan. She helps him through it, and helps him escape. But someone is after Shea and her sister Grace for their abilities.

This is romantic suspense with a paranormal element.
SBooks
Very disappointing that Maya Banks decided to introduce paranormal elements to this series. It’s completely messed up the world she established in the other books.

This one read like some sort of homage to Christine Feehan’s books. The characters are standard Banks – alpha male you wouldn’t kick out of bed, and slightly wimpy girl who all the males dote on. It’s fun, but also a tad repetitive.

The cheese factor here was so bad too.

There were some good moments – this is an author who writes very ro
Stephanie
This story was worth the 11 month wait. Great romantic suspense with a little twist of paranormal. But let me say that it just a twist that adds to the story. Don't be alarmed if you don't normally ready PNR.

Nathan was s hero to die for. I loved him every page of this book. Shea is a strong heroine worthy of our hero.

Overall 4.5 star read.
Wendy Ciliacus
Loved this one and I really enjoyed the paranormal element ;) Shea kicked ass and Nathan was a awesome hero. Also extra points for Nathans twin Joe and army buddie Swanny....loved them.

4,5 stars from me
ReaderOz
Jan 07, 2012 ReaderOz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Too paranormal, too boring and too corny!

Strange to notice, but I don’t understand why Maya Banks writes so many love scenes with her heroines going to work on the heroes with their mouths, but the heroes almost never return the favour. Sometimes I feel like the scenes are written by men – but then all the corny family scenes tell me this author is definitely a woman. Men don’t talk or act the way she writes!

I had trouble staying interested until the end. Though I anticipated racing through this
Romantic
Jan 04, 2012 Romantic rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Even after I got over just HOW paranormal the author has made this series – it used to be completely normal romantic suspense and now it is INSANE with the superpowers and stuff – I still didn’t enjoy it.

The book really starts to drag by the halfway mark, and I started skipping the huge chunks of telepathic communication that filled pages at a time.

Nathan and Shea are no different to any other characters Maya Banks has created. They are interchangeable with the characters from the other three bo
Elizabeth (Liz)
Took a while for me to get into this one and feel the connection between Nathan and Shea, but by mid-point it had improved. The interaction between the Kelly brothers is always one of the best parts of this series, and there were some very nice moments in this one.

I do wish Maya Banks hadn't felt it necessary to add the paranormal element into this series. It's very hard to find a good romantic suspense series. Everyone and their dog writes PNR now. I'm hoping that the remainder of the series, a
Wminbc
May 31, 2013 Wminbc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Who...
Nathan: hot, determined and willing to put his life on the line for his brothers and brothers-in-arms.
Shea: sweet, devoted and willing to take on another's pain to give them reprieve.

The What…
Shea is on the run for her life, but her "gift" reaches out to Nathan who is being held hostage oversees. She "goes" to him telepathically and takes on his pain, imparts comfort and renews his belief in himself. I loved the description of the connection and the wonder and the awe that each of the
Saly
This was a good KGI installment with one of the twins in the army Nathan Kelly as the hero. His tour was about to end when he went MIA and was captured and Nathan is almost thinking of giving up when he hears a voice in his head telling him to be strong and that he will get through it, the voice is of the heroine Shea who has special abilities and is on the run ever since her parents were murdered.

Shea takes away Nathan's pain and even contacts his brothers for him, staying a voice all the time
Hands down, the best KGI yet!! This was such a great story. Though I can't wait for Rio and Grace's story because that just might top this one. I loved the psychic connection between Shea and Nathan. It brought a small amount of paranormal into a more realistic story line. And the way Shea continued to take Nathan's torture and pain was amazing. Not to mention how Grace was brought into it to run her gift through Shea and make it that much stronger. Amazing!! I highly recommend this book. There' ...more
Pamela(AllHoney)
Fourth in the KGI series. Nathan, one of the Kelly brothers, has been captured by terrorists and tortured. One day he hears an angel's voice that keeps him from giving up. This angel has the ability to take his pain and is instrumental in his escape. The angel is Shea, a young woman on the run from the men who killed her parents. A wonderful romantic suspense with paranormal elements. I can't wait for the next installment!
Wendy
When it comes to action both in and out of the bedroom, the Kelly Brothers never fail to disappoint. This is a hot little number, with action, sweet romance, a touch of PNR and of course to die for alpha males. It's a keeper!
Gina
Dec 30, 2012 Gina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, favorites
I ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!

This book grabbed me from the start and didn't let go, I started it last night and finished it this evening!!

This story is about Nathan Kelly, captured and tortured for months in Afghanistan. He is locked in a cage in the mountains,ready to give up, his strength gone, he is ready to die. In his darkest hour, he hears a voice in his head. A beautiful voice telling to hang on, to not give up, that he isn't alone....

Nathan is positive he has lost his mind. But, the v
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
2.5 rating...very disappointed

Good romance covered in too much cheese. (view spoiler) The comraderie between the KGI brothers were reduced to (view spoiler) I skipped many a sex scene. There were a couple of steamy ones that were good.

I
Jonel Boyko
What a gripping and compelling story! Banks took me on an excitingly fast paced journey with twists and turns that I’d never fathomed possible. I love the way that she melded reality with something just a little more to make a new reality that was not only believable but completely possible. The bits of background information as to how this all came about gave me chills. Intertwined with the heated romance between the main characters and the action packed, suspenseful plot the whole was somethin ...more
Mandi Schreiner
Nathan Kelly's plan was to serve his last tour in the Middle East, and then join his brothers in their private KGI operations, an elite group who contract with the government and private sector, taking on dangerous jobs. But his plan gets screwed up when he gets captured in Afghanistan. Stuck in a dark cave, tortured, naked, and starved, he is not sure how much longer he can survive. But then he hears a voice in his head. At first he thinks he is crazy, but the voice is persistent.

It turns out t
Julie
Feb 10, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

Whispers in the Dark is the fourth book in Maya Banks’ KGI series. This is a romantic suspense series but don’t worry, it’s not one of those kinds of romantic suspense books. You know the type: either there is too much romance and not really any suspense or there is too much suspense – enough that you want to throw the book across the room and curl up into a ball and rock yourself back and forth, back and forth, back and forth – and not enough romance.
Christi Snow
Jan 15, 2012 Christi Snow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:

I have adored the KGI series so far, and let me just say up front on this review that, hands down, this is my favorite book in the series so far. I cannot fully explain to you how much I truly loved this book, but I am going to try! I love the entire premise of this story.

Shea has special telepathic powers. Overall, they have made her life hell, but she can't ignore the telepathic communications from a soldier being tortured who is on the brink of giving up, Nathan Kelly.

After a month
Amy
Jan 21, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fv-review, ppb

Held captive and tortured for information in an overseas prison, Nathan Kelly believes he may be facing his final days of life. Two things keep him in survival mode – the hope that his brothers of the KGI/Kelly Group International (private hostage/kidnap victim recovery group) are close to finding him and the soothing, comforting voice that now speaks to him in his mind. Shea Peterson has a unique gift of telepathy. Additionally, she is able to use this connection to draw pain from the people sh
Francesca the Fierce (Under the Covers Book Blog)
This review was posted at Under The Covers

I think the easiest way to write a review for this book is to just give you a list of the good, the bad and the ugly.

The Good:
- The Kelly family! Even though we don't get to see as much of all of them as I would've liked, we do get some brother interaction. I look forward to reading this series because I love this family.
- Plenty of action and suspense. Bad guys, running and fighting. The suspense level was excellent.

The Bad:
- The hero. Is it bad to say
Angigames
Feb 06, 2016 Angigames rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ma-anche-no
No, no, no. Decisamente NO!
La Banks ha sperimentato, questo le fa onore, ma il paranormal e i Kelly decisamente non vanno d’accordo, per niente, anzi, con questo nuovo tocco magico la storia è diventata assurda e ancor meno credibile rispetto ai precedenti volumi.
Nathan Kelly è prigioniero di una bada di malviventi, ferito, torturato, rinchiuso in una cella comincia a perdere le speranze, si lascia andare, desidera persino la fine piuttosto che il dolore che lo aspetta. Invece sente una voce ne
Tina
Jul 14, 2016 Tina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Sandy M
Jan 04, 2012 Sandy M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hi, my name is Sandy. And I’m addicted. To Maya Banks’ Kelly boys. Hooboy. I was a goner with the first book, and now with the fourth? Needless to say, I’m not coming up for air anytime soon.

This time it’s Nathan, one of the two youngest Kellys, twin to Joe, who goes through hell to find love. As we learned in the previous book, the twins were finally leaving their military service to come home and join their brothers at KGI. Before that could happen, they are both severely injured, Nathan taken
FV Angela
More like 2.5 stars...

This was a weird one for me. I've enjoyed all three of the previous books and was so looking forward to this one. I guess the whole telepathy, paranormal thing that, to me, came out of no where, threw me off. I'm guessing since the next book is about Grace and Rio that that one will be a paranormal, romantic suspense also. Now I absolutely love the paranormal genre, LOVE IT, but when you've got in your head that a series is romantic suspense, and all previous books have had
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Oooooo! KGI goes paranormal! The next in the series will also be paranormal!

Nathan is a captive & tortured in an Afghani prison/cave! One day sitting in his cell, he gets a voice in his head. Her name is Shea & she can take his pain from him. She helps him escape & he loses her connection wondering if she is real or not.

Shea and her sister Grace are on the run seperately from men who hunt them for experaments. She is captured and tortured. She escapes and reaches out for Nathan who i
Lindsay
Apr 06, 2011 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
This was another great KGI/Maya Banks book.

While reading, I was sometimes reminded of the early Ghostwalker books by Christine Feehan, but not enough for it to bother me.

I actually liked the telepathy between Nathan and Shea. That just added another dimension to the story for me.

I’m glad I already have the next book in the series because I can’t wait to find out what happens to Shea’s sister Grace.

Nathan:

Photobucket
The World of Maya...: 4. Whispers In The Dark 23 57 Jan 19, 2015 09:22AM
Does Joe get his own book? 9 122 Apr 23, 2014 09:41PM
Romance Lovers fo...: Whispers in the Dark (KGI #4) by Maya Banks; Start Date: April 22, 2013 64 56 Apr 29, 2013 03:52PM
  • With No Remorse (Black Ops, #6)
  • Breaking Point (I-Team, #5)
  • Desperate Deeds (A-Tac, #3)
  • Sweet Reward (Last Chance Rescue, #9)
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)
  • A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4)
  • Nightfire (Protectors, #3)
  • Too Hot to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #2)
  • Maverick (Elite Ops, #2)
Maya Banks is the #1 New York Times, #1 USA Today and international bestselling author of over 50 novels. A wife and mother of three, she lives in Texas.
More about Maya Banks...

KGI (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Darkest Hour (KGI, #1)
  • No Place to Run (KGI, #2)
  • Hidden Away (KGI, #3)
  • Echoes at Dawn (KGI, #5)
  • Shades of Gray (KGI, #6)
  • Forged in Steele (KGI, #7)
  • After the Storm (KGI, #8)
  • When Day Breaks (KGI, #9)
  • Darkest Before Dawn (KGI, #10)
  • Brighter than the Sun (KGI, #11)

“I'm tempted to shove one of my romance novels up your ass"- P.J. said sharply
"But I love my books too much to desecrate them like that. I'll settle for my boot.”
77 likes
“You mean everything to me. You mean more to me than I have the words to explain. Is it normal? Who gives a damn if it's normal? Fuck normal. You and I will never be normal people. If normal means I'm not with you, then I never want to be that man.” 36 likes