Start by marking “The Wealthy Barber Returns : Dramatically Older and Marginally Wiser, David Chilton Offers His Unique Perspectives on the World of Money” as Want to Read:

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,086 ratings  ·  138 reviews
"If you've always thought of money as a dry and dusty subject, let Dave show you just how interesting it can be. While you're at it, learn a thing or two about your personal motivation and how to point it in the right direction. And laugh your socks off, too! I thoroughly enjoyed this book!"
Gail Vaz-Oxlade, TV Host of Til Debt Do Us Part and Financial Author

"The Task Force
224 pages
Published 2011 by Financial Awareness Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Wealthy Barber Returns , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wealthy Barber Returns

Daniel
ok. I must be a financial geek - I loved this book.

A big change from his previous book is his view of mutual funds - and choosing a good fund family with good fund managers that have a good track to beat the market - it doesn't work. He says that he doesn't recommend index funds - it's simply that the math is undeniably positive for them, the costs of cdn mutual funds are way too high and that buffett recommends them (index funds).

He stands by his recommendation for term insurance - regardless o
Jason
I really liked this book.
I didn't give it a 5, because it just didn't hook me like the original wealthy barber did. I loved the first half, but the last half where he gives his more random thoughts was sub par.
The topics were excellent, the advice current and helpful.
I especially like his thoughts on credit cards, and have made it a must read section for my 19 year old daughter.... who loves collecting her bonus points.
Jenny
I was very interested in what he'd have to say, over 20 years after "The Wealthy Barber". Not nearly as cohesive or eye-opening, but still nice to get a modern take from him.

Things to remember:

"I can't afford it."

Save 10-15% of my gross income.

Reminder: what percentage of my working-years income does my pension pay? (gotta go look that up)

I'll need 60-70% of my working-years income to live on in retirement.

Buy an index fund with a 0.5% MER - I want to match the market's return...S&P 500?

Chec
Jeff Macdonald
With his “The Wealthy Barber Returns,” David Chilton takes what I’ve always considered to be an inscrutable subject—personal finance—and makes it accessible. His advice is straightforward, his self-deprecating humour abundant. I laughed and learned throughout. Highly recommend!
Mike Bercier
I thought that the book was OK. I have read other finance books with better information and a plan on how to not only get out debt but also to plan for my retirement.

The chapter called "A Borrowed Approach to Borrowing" almost made me stop reading the book only 25% into the book. He suggested that the idea of using a line of credit to buy things or go on vacation as long as you pay it off before buying something else on the line of credit. Not everyone has the discipline required for something
Cory
There are no shocking new insights in this book, it's more like a collection of quick little essays written by someone with a lot of common sense and experience when it comes to managing money. A decent and easy read if you want a general overview of how to manage (i.e. save) your money, but don't expect many new ideas if you've already spent time thinking about your finances.

Also, the author's self-deprecating but lame sense of humor did not really add anything to the book, at least not for me.
Louise
Maybe The Wealthy Barber was a better read, but I didn't read it and instead jumped into this "sequel." The financial advice ranged from stupidly simple to doesnt-apply-to-me-I'm-not-Canadian. That wouldn't have been as bad, but Chilton tries to be funny in his writing. He's about as funny as a stand up comedian laughing at his own jokes when no one in the crowd is. Awkward.
Kara
Sometimes it's pretty Canada-specific (RRSPs, "we Canadians", etc), but still communicates some great general principles about saving and managing your money. I liked his silly, self-deprecating humor- kept the subject light and entertaining. But by the end, I'd cried a little and reluctantly doubled my monthly saving commitment, so something must have worked.
Biljana
This book has something for everyone.

For those who are just starting to save or have had trouble with consistently saving, the first half of the book focuses on saving more and spending less (and borrowing smartly or not at all!). I found this half of the book reinforced many of my choices to date, but didn't reveal anything too surprising.

I was more interested by the second half of the book, at which point Chilton discussed registered-retirement savings plans (RRSPs) versus tax-free savings ac
Andrew
Using time-tested principles—save your money, live within your means, make conservative investments, exercise caution with credit— David Chilton offers his own unique brand of financial advice.

Straightforward and concise, yet overly simplistic in its approach. Information is, however, supported with an abundance of examples and anecdotes (real or otherwise) based on his own personal experience as a financial advisor and speaker. Despite the subject matter, Chilton writes with an astonishing amo
Sage S
Pay yourself first
TFSA vs RRSP
Index Funds (*) => don't try to beat the market on your own ever; everything else is hit/miss situation
Spend 10% less rather than save 10% more
Give yourself 24 hours to decide whether or not something is worth getting
Mortgages / Reverse mortgages (*)
25-35 $ savings => compounded >> 35-50 $ savings
LOC

Financial information / stories / advice told in an interesting way, worthwhile to read if you're interested in learning the basics / a little extra. Gener
Elisa
After sitting down in a meeting with my banker to discuss my financial future, she recommended this book to me. I work in the finance sector (don't ask how that happened), so not only did I want a clearer understanding for myself but also for my clients. Thus, I agreed to read The Wealthy Barber Returns.

I did not expect to laugh while reading Chilton's book. Nor did I expect to come away with such a positive outlook about my finances. But you don't care about that.

Yes, this book contains some se
Emily Noel
Although I haven't read the first one, I really enjoyed reading The Wealthy Barber Returns. David Chilton's writing was engaging and interesting, never boring. It had just the right amount of humour in it so that it never felt like he was dumping us over the head with the information. He also managed to tell you what things were bad without acting like the people who did those things were the "worst people ever". This is a good thing because a lot of people tend to get defensive, especially when ...more
Tina
Oct 24, 2014 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone 21+
Recommended to Tina by: mother in law
Shelves: business
As someone who isn't a math person but who isn't bad with money, I found this book both relieving and helpful. It relieved me to know that most of the stuff he cautions not to do, I don't do, and the stuff that he suggests to do is achievable. Granted, we're 2 years past his start date for recommending to begin an RRSP and/or a TFSA, but that's not too hard to rectify! I really appreciated his chapter comparing RRSPs and TFSAs; as someone who doesn't know anything about finance and who wants to ...more
Ok just stop whatever it is you're reading and pick up a copy of this book and read it. Simple to understand, quick to read, it's a finance book that everyone should read.

Seriously, if you're a high school teacher, you should have one in your classroom for your students to read too. Or even better, if you're a teacher that incorporates life skills at all into the curriculum, read the book with your students. Let's actually educate people about the basic operations of the finance world.

Don't get
Matt Simpson
Are you saving for retirement? You need to read this book.

Not saving for retirement? You need to read this book.

Already retired? You probably don't need to read this book, but it's pretty entertaining, and hey, you've got lots of time to read, don't you? You're retired. (Got ya!)

David Chilton sat down one day and wrote a no-nonsense, plain English book about what you need to do to ensure you don't run out of money when you retire. By being encouraging instead of preachy, concise instead of tedi
Stevie
May 15, 2014 Stevie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Teenagers & Young Adults
Recommended to Stevie by: A wealthy supervisor.
This book is by no-means the end all be all of financial knowledge, and one shouldn't expect it to be... This book was suggested to me while I was serving active duty. One of my officer's had made some very sound stock decisions and was really just hanging around for pension. When I asked him to help me understand personal finances better, he suggested to read this book. While he never gave me the follow up advice I requested, I am very happy to have read this book as early in my adulthood that ...more
Leanne
Truthfully, I only read The Wealthy Barber because I kept seeing all of this stuff about David Chilton's new book, The Wealthy Barber Returns. I saw a Globe and Mail piece earlier. There was also an interview in my personal favourite magazine, MoneySense, where he said something sharp about real estate markets in Canada reaching their top limits:"The bigger picture to all of this, though, is that a lot of people think they’re wealthier than they actually are because they have a fully paid-for $6 ...more
Wanda
If you find financial books to be snore-fests, this might be a good option for you (if you’re Canadian). It was his original Wealthy Barber book that got me paying attention to my finances & planning for the future when I was in my late 20s. Twenty-some years later, I’m looking at a reasonably comfortable retirement because of that attention.

The basics are simple, but not always easy.
1. Figure out how much you make.
2. Then track your spending.
3. Make sure item 2 is less than item 1.
4. Sa
Lucy Yao
A good general overview of a bunch of different personal finance topics but the second half of the book felt disorganized and scattered. Better advice than in the original The Wealthy Barber probably because some of the financial instruments that exist today may not have been around when he wrote the first book (ETFs). I'm surprised he didn't mention the Couch Potato Strategy or explain it in more depth but I guess this was a more general overview book vs a pure investment focused book. His joke ...more
Christine Newhook
I really liked how simple this book is. The advice David offers is practical and more of an overview of what you should be doing without getting too much into the nitty gritty. I loved that he mixed finances with humour even though I sometimes found it a bit too much. Overall, I would recommend this to all Canadians that are interested in getting their finances in order. This will give you a great starting point to work from.
Doug O'hare
I never read The Wealthy Barber, but it mattered not for reading and enjoying this one. The book explores the world of personal finance and covers some of the most widely used concepts for managing your money, reshaping how you think about them, and providing some good information about the principles everyone should know for saving and spending (but mostly about saving).
Probably a book better suited for the financially inept, but there are certainly some good tips for any Canadian trying to gai
Ashley
I enjoyed this book. Some of the information was not new to me ("live within your means!"), but some things were new, some confirmed my own thoughts, and many things were eye opening. If you're working on becoming more financially savvy and looking at retirement options, I recommend this book for sure. It's a fast read, and he uses clear examples to illustrate concepts.
Curtis Hempler
A nice follow-up to the original Wealthy Barber book... the first half is a bit vague, and reiterates the very basic (yet valid) advice that the original book contained. The second half is a bit meatier, but still easy to follow, and Chilton has a knack for using plain english to make his points clear. Basically it's an easy read, with short chapters, each of which has a worthwhile point to make. For a Canadian with limited financial knowledge, looking for some good advice, and to be reminded of ...more
Vuk
Good and very casual overview regarding the philosophy of saving money but is intentionally light on the financial details of saving. A bit more detail and explanation of financial terms would have been beneficial to readers who are new to personal finance. Otherwise, very much recommended.
David
This was a good read for me at the right time. As I get started on my plans of saving (admittedly a bit late but hopefully not too late) I was looking for a read like this that would lay a foundation for further reading or conversations with a financial planner.

While I found some of the earlier parts of the book too easy and a bit cheesy, I also conversely found some later chapters technical and not cheesy enough. I a way though I find his writing style to be very similar to mine if I was to wri
Elizabeth Anderson
I haven't read The Wealthy Barber or any personal finance books before... I found this to be a great starter for me and I learned a few new things. I have already implemented some of the author's tips. I was able to chat with my husband regarding our financial future feeling confident that we are on the same page! This is a must read for all. I liked that the chapters were short, engaging and to the point. It actually was a page turner for me... Surprise!
a'tte
This was a good book. I found it easy to read. I picked up this book because I saw the interview on George Strombolopolous and was convinced I must read it. To me, David Chilton is a sound voice of reason! My inner critic of over-exessive-consumption was appealed to and satisfied. Good, simple,financial advice on spending and saving wisely. And I should add, it's a funny, light, informative read -- it's not really a critcism as my above comments I might make it seem.
I would recommend this book t
Lee-Ann Sleegers
This book was very different from the original book. Chilton's wit shines throughout the book resulting in messages that are easy to understand when it comes to managing one's finances. I missed the story aspect of the original Wealthy Barber, but enjoyed The Wealthy Barber Returns all the same. I like that there aren't a lot of equations and math but rather good old fashioned common sense in the book. I tend think I'm pretty good with finances but even I learned a thing or two while reading as ...more
Intikhab
A very interesting read as David Chilton walks one through the difficult waters of finances, savings, investments, and best possible ways to make one's future safe and secured. The first half of the book emphasizes the need to adopt saving as a habit, arguing in support of it as the best fiscal strategy to secure one's after retirement life. He does not only propagate 'living within one's means' he has suggested some really doable techniques to avoid wastage of money. He also makes a case for TF ...more
  • Millionaire Teacher: The Nine Rules of Wealth You Should Have Learned in School
  • Never Too Late: Take Control of Your Retirement and Your Life
  • Persuasion: A New Approach to Changing Minds
  • Driven: How To Succeed In Business And In Life
  • Cold Hard Truth: On Business, Money & Life
  • Decisions
  • A Nation Worth Ranting About
  • Redefining Success: Still Making Mistakes
  • Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Night and Insights
  • Free the Children: A Young Man Fights Against Child Labor and Proves that Children Can Change the World
  • The Power of Why: Simple Questions That Lead to Success
  • The Investor's Manifesto: Preparing for Prosperity, Armageddon, and Everything in Between
  • The Little Book of Common Sense Investing: The Only Way to Guarantee Your Fair Share of Stock Market Returns
  • Rising Strong
  • A Soldier First: Bullets, Bureaucrats and the Politics of War
  • Say It Right the First Time
  • Call Me Russell
  • See You in a Hundred Years: Four Seasons in Forgotten America
The Wealthy Barber: The Common Sense Guide to Successful Financial Planning The Second Royal Berkshire Regiment in World War One Paradise Restored: A Biblical theology of Dominion Un barbier riche: Le bon sens appliqué à la planification financière Wealthy Barber, The: Everyone's Commonsense Guide to Becoming Financially Independent