Start by marking “A Woman On Paper: Georgia O'keeffe” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
A Woman On Paper: Geor...

Anita Pollitzer

A Woman On Paper: Georgia O'keeffe

Published by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about A Woman On Paper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman On Paper

Deb cambria
Oct 23, 2016 Deb cambria rated it it was amazing
Terrific. I admire O'Keeffe...her life and her art
Heather Denigan
Aug 27, 2016 Heather Denigan rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, art
Although Georgia told her, "I don't recognize myself" in this biography, Anita has written an affectionate account of Georgia as Georgia's friends saw her. (Most of them, most of the time, anyway.) Although not a scholarly bio, I appreciated that Anita focused on Georgia's work and passed over some of the more tabloid/soap opera aspects of her life (like Steiglitz's marital shenanigans). Anita herself seems to indicate that Georgia is best understood in her art, that only her paintings capture ...more
Barbara Rice
O'Keefe did not give permission/approval for this book to be published; it was only after the death of both the author and O'Keefe that it did see the light of day. This is a romanticzed view of Georgia O'Keefe and her career, repeating the "Finally, a woman on paper" remark allegedly made by Alfred Stieglitz - though there isn't any evidence to believe he ever said it. The low points of O'Keefe's career are glossed over or entirely ignored. In short, this is a light read for someone only ...more
Cassiel
Oct 28, 2007 Cassiel rated it it was ok
Shelves: bio-memoir
The book is an example of why biographies should not be written by friends. There is so little actual biographical material here that one wonders if the information has been sanitized, or if O'Keeffe's life could have been so very dull.

The letters exchanged between the friends are interesting, too bad there weren't more included. I am still curious about O'Keeffe, and will seek out a better biography.
Wendy Holcombe
Nov 14, 2009 Wendy Holcombe rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is strictly letters written between 2 friends. There is no filler put in between. I enjoyed reading these letters, but I already have a background knowledge of Georgia O'Keefe and her life.
I can see where this book could either whet the appetite of someone to learn more, or it may give someone miss information and make them think that this is all there was to Georgia O'Keefe's life, when in fact it was much, much fuller.
Cristiana Pagliarusco
Anita Pollitzer's biography shows aspects of O'Keeffe's life that the modernist artist carefully prevented people to discover. A powerful book to get closer to the painter, especially if it is read together with the two women friends'correspondence recorded in "Lovingly, Georgia".
Jeanne
Aug 07, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it
I am loving this inside look at the budding artistry of Gerogia O'Keefe and her letters to both Anita Pollitzer and Alfred Stieglitz. Yummy!
Carmen
Jan 05, 2013 Carmen rated it liked it
I read later than Georgia O'Keeffe read this book and couldn't recognize herself in it! Still, it was interesting. I didn't know much about her until I read this.
Rachel Q. Landers Sisk
Rachel Q. Landers Sisk rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2016
Amber George
Amber George rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2012
Alan
Alan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2010
Bo Olsen
Bo Olsen rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2015
Suzanne Krueger
Oct 06, 2009 Suzanne Krueger rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographical, art
A story about Georgia O'Keefe, told through letters to a friend.
Rita Finn
Rita Finn rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Rick Perez
Rick Perez rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2010
Caryn
Caryn rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2013
Padri Veum
Padri Veum rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Dianna LeFevre
Dianna LeFevre rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Gloria Stanley
Gloria Stanley rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2013
Shireen Kathryn
Shireen Kathryn rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Elly Sands
Elly Sands rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2008
Sally
Sally rated it really liked it
May 21, 2011
Laurie
Laurie rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2011
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2010
Pgyyc
Pgyyc rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2008