McKettrick's Pride (McKettrick Men, #2) (McKettricks, #7)

McKettrick's Pride (McKettrick Men, #2) (McKettricks #7)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  2,712 ratings  ·  93 reviews
The only wide-open space Rance McKettrick wants to see in his future is his hometown in his rearview mirror. The down-to-earth ex-rancher is determined to make a fresh start with his two young daughters—and leave his heartbreaking loss and family's corporation far behind. He sure doesn't need Indian Rock's free-spirited new bookstore owner, Echo Wells, confusing his choice...more
Published February 28th 2012 by HQN Books (first published March 1st 2004)

Emily
Rance McKettrick can't believe the little pixie standing in front of him, with her pink VW and interesting outfits, he can almost forgive her crazy driving. When he decides to give her his opinion, she has no issue letting him have it causing the successful businessman to balk a bit.

Echo Wells has had enough heartache in her life and wants a second chance at finding a place that she can call home. Even though the ruggedly sexy cowboy has her flushed with desire, she doesn't plan to repeat the s...more
Melissa
This is the 2nd in a little mini-series that Miller has written about some modern McKettrick men. It isn't necessary to read any of the rest of the series or other books about the McKettrick's, but it is a little nice for background. To me, this was actually one of the better ones.

Echo Wells has just moved to town to open a bookstore, and in the process she nearly runs over handsome Rance McKettrick. Ranch is a widower with two young daughters who spends his time mostly away from his home on big...more
Miss Kim
First off, I hate the names Rance and Echo. Rance? It sounds like a disease. Echo? puh-lease.

Anyway, I did enjoy their story. Rance is an executive with his family's empire and is also a widower with two young girls. Echo breezes into town in her pink VW bug, and opens a books store. This is an opposites attract romance. He is uptight and stuffy; she is the 'new age' hippy that sells love spells.

I look forward to reading Keegan's story in final book.
Pam M
I really loved this book..it would have gotten 5 stars but the ending seemed abrupt to me. It was heartwarming, heartbreaking..I even cried. Would definitely recommend it
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is a re-listen for me. It is the story of Rance Mckettrick and Echo Wells. The book opens with Echo driving to Indian Rock, AZ. She comes across a stray dog, Avalon, and takes her along for the ride in her pink Bug. Rance has focused on work since the death of his wife and leaves his daughters with their grandmother most of the time. The Mckettricks are rich and have a rich history on the Triple M Ranch. He meets Echo when she comes to town to open a book store. He lashes out to her and imm...more
Shawn
Rance McKettrick is a single father trying to hide from the guilt he carries for his wife. He blames himself for her tragic fall. He can't look at either of his daughters without seeing her staring back at him. His daughters practically live with his mother-in-law, Cora, while he jet sets around the world on business. He's shut down his heart and has no intentions of ever reviving it...until a little lady in a pink beetle bug almost runs him over. Echo Wells, online entrepreneur, has arrived to...more
Susan
Very good book. The book blurb isn't quite right though. Rance isn't trying to leave his hometown behind. He has been working a lot, trying to outrun his grief and not succeeding. All he's done is spend too much time away from his girls. So he decides to give up the corporate world and go back to ranching and be there for them. Echo has arrived in Indian Rock to open a bookstore. Though Rance's intense focus on business reminds her of her ex-fiance, she is still very attracted to him, as he is t...more
Jackie Lewis
Kath
I found this from an audible special sale and knew it was part of a series, but actually thought it was book 2 and not book 7. Even with that, the books stands well on it's own.

This was my first my Linda Lael Miller and I really enjoyed it. The characters in the story were well defined, interesting and likeable. Loved Rance and Echo, Rances's cousins (who are the subjects of other books in this series), his charming mother-in-law and daughters.

While it's definetely a romance, it also has other...more
Joanne
Echo bought a bookstore on-line and came to Indian Rock to start a new life for herself. She meets Rance McKettrick who is a widower with two girls. Echo has a big heart and is afraid of being hurt again and Rance is still running from the death of his wife. But true love prevails in the end.
Kathy
This was an awesome story. I really enjoyed it. It made me laughed and almost cried at some points in the book. If you love reading romance than this is the book for you. I couldn't put it down.
Justine
A very easy read for a summer afternoon on the beach. Everyone in the book had a happy ending, even the bad guys. :)
Denise
Echo comes to town in a pink car however it is the highlight of her history. A family history of death, feeling of being unwanted, left at the vegas wedding site all alone, leavig her just a number big city life she travels to McKettrick Country where she bought a building site unseen to start her dream of a bookstore. As the bookstore doors open so too is her life opening in new and wonderful ways, including a hot McKettrick business man / Cowboy.

Small town life and dreams of that all protecti...more
Kame
Rance has become a work-a-holic, he was before his wife's death - but now 5 years later he is worse. It helps him to ignore the pain - but in the mean time he is ignoring is two young daughters. Somehow a new bookstore owner in town - with a fancy name - Echo, is causing him to question if working so much is the right thing to do. She is making him want to connect with people and the land. But do they have a future when he doesn't even know her real name.

Echo has never had anyone really be there...more
Wendy
Jan 27, 2009 Wendy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers, cowboy lovers
I have enjoyed all of the LLM books that I have read. Her style of writing is fresh and fun. Echo Wells moves to a new town to start a book store. When she arrives she meets a hansome yet intimidating man, Rance McKettrick, with two adorable daughters. Rance is still getting over the death of his wife and isn't sure about a new relationship yet is drawn to Echo. Echo comes with her own issues, and is just as sceptical about a relationship with Rance. These two characters overcome their own issue...more
Judith
No one writes characters like Linda Lael Miller. I really feel like I know these people and didn't want the book to end. Rance and Echo are incredibly believable, warm, and passionate! And did I mention the dog and the kids??? I know of no other romance writer who includes dogs and children as major characters in their stories. I absolutely loved the entire storyline involving the stray dog.

No purple prose but the romance here is top-notch and very hot! Are there really men like Rance out there...more
Laura Beasley
Sep 08, 2013 Laura Beasley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mary Ann
Another sweet love story by Lind Lael Miller. She adds more to her stories than just "fluff." This story is about a young woman that moves to town to open a bookstore and then ends up falling in love with a rich , prominent member of the town. He is a widow with 2 girls and has his own demons to get over. Echo who goes by her nickname, has a lonely childhood and then was left standing at the altar so her feelings about love are not good. This is the 3rd book in the series and having read the oth...more
Ada Iaboni
Easy read, kind of fluff but also fun. Some of Linda's books are much more substantial but always kind of fun. Good beach book.
Jaime
Patricia Solla
The cowboy in this story has become a corporate head and has neglected his young daughters (after the death of his wife) leaving with his mother to care for them. Now here comes the romantic heroine who's certainly a bit quirky. And so the story goes. There are some interesting entanglements as the young woman prepares to open a book store in town. What's nice to see is all the brothers involved in the storyline. And the two daughters are definitely a plus.
Cursingmama
Another day, another cowboy. The 2nd in the McKettrick Men (which is in the middle of the McKettrick's series) features the very proud Rance McKettrick, Echo (not her real neame)Wells, along with Rance's daughters and his former MIL. Unlike Jesse (McKettrick's Luck) Rance is a business force to be reckoned with at multi-billion dollar McKettrickco even if it means sacrificing a relationship with his daughters and possibly another chance at love.

Harlequin Books
"I really enjoyed meeting another McKettrick man and his family,plus Echo,she added so much to the story. If you are an animal lover you will also like this one ... " From an eHarlequin.com community member review, read more HERE!
Trina
This was a great love story about two wounded people learning to open their hearts again and take a chance on the love right in front of them, be it from animals, children, family or each other. I'm certainly going to read the other two books in the trilogy. I actually wouldn't mind reading the future love stories of the children in the story too.
Carole
I think this was my favourite of the 3 McKettrick Men books. I loved Echo's story (I won't spoil anything by giving away her real name) and she and Rance really make a fabulous couple. When my middle daughter is old enough to read certain scenes, I'll recommend these books to her just because of all the horse riding.

Irene Jackson
Bought this as the cover caught my eye and i felt like reading a contemporary romance for a change. I enjoyed the story but not far into it I realised it was obviously part of a fairly big series. A good stand alone story and I liked it enough that I will probably track down some more by this author.
Ty
I really liked this book even the second time through. A family romance book?? I think what sold me on the book is that she comes to town in a pink bug yes I said pink -doesn't that make you like her instantly it happens the same time as mckettricks pride so read them together and get lost in the family
Jeanne
This is the 7th in the overall McKettrick series, the second in the stories of the current generation. It is the story of widower, Rance McKettrick and book store owner Echo Wells. I agree with one of the other reviewers that the names are a bit much. Otherwise, it was a good, quick read.
Rae
Liked the book, liked the characters, HATED the word "critters". That word should only be used for characters aged 85 and older who live in the backwoods, not 30 something year old main characters who are college educated. I cringed every time it was used. Other than that, loved it.
Stacie
Sep 10, 2007 Stacie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance
This is the second book of the series. It was much better to me than the first one. This is about a McKettrick whose wife had died and left him with two children. He meets Echo Wells and falls in love with her. But his guilt over falling in love with another woman comes between them.
Teresa
I just started this, but I am loving it. It is my first read in this series. 053109 - I just finished this book and am going to look for the rest in this series to read as well. Linda Lael Miller is one of my favorite writers and this book is another notch on her belt.
  • The Texan (Bitter Creek, #2)
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • Phantom Waltz
  • Montana Destiny
  • Heartless (Long, Tall Texans, #36)
  • Red's Hot Cowboy (Spikes & Spurs, #2)
As the daughter of a town marshal, Linda has come home to the western lifestyle that gave birth to one of today’s most successful authors. She left Washington years ago and pursued her wanderlust, living in Arizona and London and traveling the world. Now the author of more than 100 novels, the “First Lady of the West” is glad to be back home, writing contemporary and historical stories that have e...more
More about Linda Lael Miller...
Logan (Montana Creeds, #1) Dylan (Montana Creeds, #2) Tyler (Montana Creeds, #3) McKettrick's Luck (McKettrick Men, #1) (McKettricks, #6) High Country Bride (McKettrick, #1)

“Everybody's heart is like a cup. They stumble from place to place and person to person, trying to get them filled. They get cracked, those cups, and even broken. Some people throw them away, thinking that it will stop the pain. Poor fools. Nobody can fill a cup but Almighty God Himself. Nobody.” 31 likes
“bathroom, moving like a woman in a trance.” 0 likes