Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel

Along the River: A Chinese Cinderella Novel

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  209 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Bestselling Chinese American author Adeline Yen Mah weaves her authentic accounts of life in China into an absorbing novel about a Chinese girl and her vision of a previous life.

After a fall, CC is whisked away to a hospital. As she drifts in and out of consciousness, she is haunted by vivid dreams that seem strange—yet somehow familiar. Thus begins CC’s emotional journey...more
Published April 10th 2012 by Ember (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Along the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Along the River

Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Along the River is really the story of Mei Lan, a privileged chinese girl in the Song dynasty. There is a sweet friendship between her brother Gege, and the servant boy- Ah Li who is an amazing artist with lots to teach Gege, and Mei Lan.
CC is a young woman and the conduit to our story. When she slips and falls, she wakes up drawn to a painting from ages ago, and with strange dreams. Through hypnosis, she relates to her doctor her memories, which is the life of Mei Lan and her adventures.
A...more
Levi
Adeline Yen Mah's book, Along the River, for young adults was a pleasant read. She created a fictional world based on some historical facts from China's Song Dynasty.
Adeline, I thought, did a good job bringing the reader into the story. CC is a young girl who takes a fall and has to go to the hospital. While there, she undergoes hypnotherapy and tells the story of a completely different person, Zhang Mei Lan, who supposedly lived during the 11th and 12th centuries in China. The weaving of the...more
Rachel
2 1/2 stars

Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Along the River is a quick read that explores the importance of art and the challenges of growing up. Author Yen Mah offers vivid descriptions of ancient Chinese life during the Song Dynasty. Readers will be entertained by the book's fascinating details about cricket fights, calligraphy, and jade carving, to name a few.

Though the amount of detail was astounding, the pages were often too heavy with facts and lacked enough dialogue to keep the stor...more
和泉美優
In the 1940s of China, a young girl named CC has an accident of falling down a roof and she regains visions and hallucinations of her past life while recovering in rehab. So one day after her doctor has recorded his conversation with her past life spirit (?), he lets her listen. So begins the tale of a young daughter of a nobleman in the capital city and her friend, Ah Li.

I started reading this book because I thought it would be interesting, and give me a lot of historical facts, but I was wr...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Monica Sheffo for TeensReadToo.com

CC is a young Chinese girl whose own misfortune landed her in a hospital in a coma. When she reawakens three weeks later, she feels and appears fine.

That is, except for an unusual obsession with a painting called "Along the River at Qing Ming".

A session with a hypnotherapist reveals the unthinkable. CC is possessed with the spirit of Zang Mei Lang, a young girl from the Song Dynasty, desperate to tell her story.

CHINESE CINDERELLA's Adeline Yen Mah de...more
Alexa
Actual rating: 3 1/2 stars.
Intriguing story. The beginning was a bit boring, but once they got to Mei Lan and everyone, it got pretty good. I really liked Ah Zhao and Mei Lan, and how she grew over the course of the story.
One thing I don't understand, though, is why it's a Chinese Cinderella. The only similarity was the stepmother and she didn't seem evil to me exactly. I mean, there were some nasty things about her to be sure, but she hardly seemed like the main antagonist. Actually, it just se...more
Amanda
Diana Nguyen
The premise for this novel was a romance set in Song Dynasty between two lovers in different social classes. A girl from a well to do family and a barbarian orphan fall head over heels for each other.

I loved the premise for this novel, but the author focused too much on historical details such as the ranking system for nobles, castration, foot binding, and etc. It mentioned the origins of several famous Chinese paintings. Granted, there aren't many historical fiction books out there for young a...more
Anne
CC is running away from a woman who scared/startled her while at the Chinese market in Feng Jie. She almost makes it, but then she falls and is knocked unconscious. She wakes up in a hospital. Recovery seems to be taking longer than expected so the doctor decides to hypnotize her and see if there is something else going on. Listening to the tapes of her session, it's revealed that CC has memories of being a young Chinese girl named Mei Lan over 800 years before. Mei Lan was the daughter of a wea...more
Malia
This book was written for young adults, but it seems very basic, compared to other excellent young adult books like Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, etc. There wasn't a lot of character development, but even more annoying is that I didn't feel like it really captured any of the flavor of 11th century China. The characters behaved much like modern people and it just wasn't believable to me. I should have stopped reading it, but I'm one of those people who j...more
Kathy Chung
different cover different title but same story as the Mystery of the Song Painting
JiaMin Luo
CC fell down from the roof. She sees herself living eight hundred years ago, during the Song Dynasty in China. Her name was Mei Lan, she had an older brother and a good friend/servant named Ah Li. And Ah Li was very good at painting and calligraphy.
I love the transition part of the story from the character CC to MeiLan. CC fell and hurt her head. Therefore, out of unconsciousness, CC was able to see herself living as MeiLan during the SOng Dynasty. Then MeiLan fell down while escaping from the s...more
Rachel Lim
I hated it and I if could help it, I'll put no star at all. This book is a far cry from Falling Leaves which I've read many years ago and if my memory serves me correctly, it was a great book and nicely written. I dislike the way the story was written. I dislike how the story evolve so quickly without depth. I dislike the fact that there're not much dialogue in this book. Okay... I barely reach 1/10 of the book and I'm judging so harshly. Seriously...... CC(Chinese Cinderella)??? I'm gonna have...more
Amy Zeng
I hate how they leave you cliffhanging.
Annamarie
i thought i would try a second Chinese Cinderella book and i disliked it more than the first i had read. this one basicly has her fall of a roof hit her head end up in a hospital where she stares at a painting and the doctor hypnotizes her and she "relives" a past life that has to do with said painting. was not impressed.
Richelle
Interesting in terms of Chinese history and culture, but slow, plodding plot sort of makes it a boring read.
Jem  Langford
The plot had so much potential, but I'm sorry, it's just didn't cut it for me. I was looking forward to a fiery romance between star-crossed lovers, but there was none. I was disappointed and the way the emperor acted did not do well with me.
Mark
very simple story told well, but there isn't much drama or tension in the novel. I think it might even be read by 5th or 6th graders. I enjoyed the translations and seeing the writings.
Elizabeth Coleman
Quick, easy, and deeply moving are the three words I would use to describe this book. I love the premise, and the ending (don't worry no spoilers) was breathtakingly different!
Julia
Along the River was, overall, not too bad. I think the idea is interesting; but I also think the writer could have played it out a little better than she did.
Alika Kay
This book doesn't know what it wants to be. The two stories have nothing in common. Needs an editor stat.
Trisha
Kinda boring. Factual. Doesn't end well and the relationship between the two lives doesn't make any sense.
Beth
lots of detail about ancient chinese culture. good story interwoven through descriptions
T
it was all right, but not spectacular. A lot of talk of eunichs. ok enough for jr hi.
Samia
I thought the ending was too sudden..but i think i know why now.
Muff
Interesting, if slight. Characters could be more finely drawn.
Barbara
A good read even if it is for young adults and without a defined end
Calla
good buck i really wanted to know what would happen next
Celeste
Very interesting topic and new perspective
  • Vikram and the Vampire: Classic Hindu Tales of Adventure Magic and Romance
  • White Water Terror (The Nancy Drew Files, #6)
  • The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys, #26)
  • The Destructors
  • The Secret of the Crooked Cat (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #13)
  • Gay Neck: The Story of a Pigeon
  • Asterix and the Class Act (Asterix, #32)
  • Song of the Silk Road
  • Throwaway Daughter
  • Asterix and Obelix All at Sea (Asterix #30)
  • Lights on the Nile
  • The Mystery of the Kidnapped Whale (The Three Investigators, #35)
  • Daughter of Xanadu (Daughter of Xanadu, #1)
Adeline Yen Mah (Chinese: Yen Jun-ling; Pinyin: Mǎ Yán Jūnlíng; Yale (Cantonese): ma5 yim4 gwan1 ling4) (official birthday 30th November 1937, however real birthday not known, this is in fact her father's birthday) is a Chinese-American author and physician. She grew up in Tianjin, Shanghai and Hong Kong with an older sister, Lydia; three older brothers, Gregory, Edgar and James and a younger half...more
More about Adeline Yen Mah...
Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter Falling Leaves: The Memoir of an Unwanted Chinese Daughter Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society A Thousand Pieces of Gold: Growing Up Through China's Proverbs Watching the Tree to Catch a Hare: A Chinese Daughter Reflects on Happiness, Spiritual Beliefs and Universal