Start by marking “What is HTML 5?” as Want to Read:
What is HTML 5?

What is HTML 5?

HTML5: Everyone’s using it, nobody knows what it is. I realize that sounds more like a line out of an existential movie — maybe Waiting for Godot or a screenplay by Sartre — than a statement about HTML5. But it’s really the truth: most of the people using HTML5 are treating it as HTML4+, or even worse, HTML4 (and some stuff they don’t use). The result? A real delay in the ...more
Published (first published July 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about What is HTML 5?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What is HTML 5?

Matt Maldre
Aug 11, 2016 Matt Maldre rated it liked it
Free kindle ebook, so it's already a good deal. I give it three stars because the book is average. Not bad. Not great. If you want to learn the concepts behind HTML 5, this is a good book to read. It's short. To the point. I want to give it 4 stars, but that's a bit high. 3.5 would be more accurate.

This book doesn't get into the nitty gritty coding and programming, but you do need to have a knowledge of coding to understand the book.

A handful of good quotes from the book:
-------------
The winn
Roger
Dec 17, 2011 Roger rated it it was ok
Very short and generic. Much more of an article in a general audience magazine than an actual book. It should be looked at as an initial primer to HTML5 rather than a learning experience. You would do better with other books if you want to learn or learn about HTML5.
Dave Jones
Dec 30, 2011 Dave Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: technology, ebooks
This was a freebie Kindle book that I read via my smartphone. I really wouldn't call it a "book" so much as an essay. Anyway, this was a little over my head. After finishing this book, I'm not entirely sure I understand what HTML5 is. I have some vague concept of how it works: it focuses not so much on web pages as creating an interconnected environment that web developers -- particularly programmers -- can develop applications that can cause all these different applications to play nice. It is ...more
Scott
Jan 23, 2013 Scott rated it really liked it
This short e-book contains a top-down view of HTML5. Often technical books, blogs, articles, and documentation focuses on features, techniques, and syntax. This book focused more on the entire web as a petri dish of technological activity. Design and architectural considerations were given less to how to develop with HTML5, and more about how and why HTML5 was developed. Some unique features were discussed, such as canvas and multimedia. Although these features were explained from a strategic ...more
Ashley
Jun 26, 2013 Ashley rated it really liked it
I don't think this should be advertised and "sold" on Amazon as a book. It's really just a lengthy essay introducing the reader to HTML5. It is moderately well written, interesting, and as informative as a brochure. The author, Brett McLaughlin, just touches on the features of the language and what is new to the development surrounding it. I do recommend that you have a background in web development if you want to understand the references made in this essay.
khrome
Jan 14, 2012 khrome rated it really liked it
Shelves: computers
This book is a short read, and free, so I don't have any complaints. But after reading the other reviews, I do realize it is targeted to a specific audience. I think the people that will get the most benefit from this book are those who are familiar with history of HTML and have little prior knowledge of HTML5. If you are familiar with the drawbacks and shortcomings of older HTML versions, especially band-aid solutions, this synopsis of what HTML5 can do is very motivating.
David
Apr 22, 2015 David rated it it was ok
My Review is probably not fair to the book.

It would be a great introduction if I was non-technical and looking in from the outside.

However as someone who just wanted to get a more technical introduction, I felt it was lacking. I glossed over the last parts of the book just to have it crossed off my list.

If you are looking for a super short almost blog introduction, this could be the one.

It was very cheap on amazon so it was value for money...just not value for what I wanted.
PF
Nov 02, 2011 PF rated it really liked it
Shelves: geek-and-tech
I really enjoyed this. It was just what I needed. I knew HTML5 was critical for web accessibility and designing programs for mobile devices, but I didn't know much more than that. This put it in the context of the evolution of HTML over time, the long term vision, and useful ways to use it, as well as suggestions for best practices and what not to do. With the addition or with and humor, it was a light easy read.
Ron
Jan 27, 2014 Ron rated it liked it
Shelves: work
This was a free Amazon kindle book that I would describe as a white paper. If you don't know anything about HTML5 and are looking for a quick overview, I'd recommend this. However, it doesn't go into a lot of details and you'll be looking for something else to follow it up with.
Simon Gianoutsos
This is a short book that is essentially a sales pitch for HTML5 and provides a good overview for somebody that is wanting a high level overview of what HTML5 is about, but not detail as to how to do anything. It focuses on the "what" not the "how".
Jennifer Taylor
Sep 28, 2014 Jennifer Taylor rated it it was ok
Even though this book was free on Kindle, I downloaded it hoping to gain more insight into HTMLL5 and was very disappointed. Since then, I have learned more from free articles on the Internet than I gained from my time reading this book. I agree with other reviewers that it is more of an essay.
Jon Keto
Sep 22, 2011 Jon Keto rated it it was ok
Very short read. Didn't help me get any closer to doing and coding, but is a good primer to get me in the right mindset when thinking about HTML5. I don't think I would recommend this book to anyone.
Nicole
Jan 26, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: design-dev
As others have stated, this was a free Kindle ebook, so I downloaded it. It was an overview of HTML5 and focused a lot on semantic markups. It was okay, but I feel I have read more interesting articles on HTML5, than what was in this ebook/article.
Lbousson
Sep 12, 2015 Lbousson rated it it was ok
I've referenced this short guide a couple times. It's kind of a nice introduction to what HTML5 is. But it probably will get dated fairly fast, and I'm sure I won't reference it again after I've used HTML5 for awhile.

Two stars.
Minah
Nov 14, 2011 Minah rated it liked it
Now everybody seems to use HTML5, but nobody seems to know what it is. This book explains and defines what HTML5 is all about.
Pasquale
Jul 28, 2013 Pasquale rated it liked it
Apologia di HTML 5. Corto riassunto delle potenzialità teoriche offerte dal linguaggio. Nessun codice. Un lungo articolo per convincere.
Verky Yi
Jan 03, 2016 Verky Yi rated it really liked it
Like unfinished

Only some concepts without detailed info.

You can only know some simple idea of Html5.

Not recommended for serious study.
Vedran
Oct 09, 2012 Vedran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice and short read to introduce differences between legacy HTML standards and new one (HTML 5). Nice catch-up.
Sampath Kumar
Aug 31, 2016 Sampath Kumar rated it it was amazing
Good book

This is really a good book for the starters the elements are explained precisely. It helped me to quickly go through the topics when I required.
Guiltyofbeingmike
Aug 26, 2016 Guiltyofbeingmike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone interested purely at a surface level, found this useful; occasionally dry, occasionally unspecific.
Michael Larsen
Michael Larsen rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Amcii
Amcii rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2014
Michael Sturgeon
Michael Sturgeon rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
Daryl Ducharme
Daryl Ducharme rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Muthanna Attyah
Muthanna Attyah rated it it was ok
Apr 08, 2016
Jon Parise
Jon Parise rated it it was ok
May 26, 2014
Ziva La roux
Ziva La roux rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Glen Barnhardt
Glen Barnhardt rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
Victor Raj
Victor Raj rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2013
  • Introducing Microsoft SQL Server 2012
  • How to Sew: Basics
  • Social Media Marketing for Publishers
  • Being Happy
  • The Crowdfunding Bible: How to Raise Money for Any Startup, Video Game or Project
  • CSS and Documents
  • Store This! Simple Home Storage Systems & House Organization Solutions
  • What Is Data Science?
  • Boost Your Memory: Brilliant Ideas You Won't Forget (52 Brilliant Ideas)
  • The Truth about Getting the Best from People (Truth about)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »