Start by marking “Devil's Sonata-xled” as Want to Read:
Devil's Sonata-xled

Devil's Sonata-xled

It begins with a book.
It ends in fire.

Beauregard Abbey is an elite boarding school in the wilds of North Yorkshire - a school built in the ruins of a monastery renowned for corruption and the study of dark magic until its destruction by Henry VIII five centuries ago. When a grimoire, a book of evil spells, is unearthed in the abbey church, the school turns t
Published July 19th 2011 by Attica Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Devil's Sonata-xled, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Devil's Sonata-xled

Marta Rawlings
Jul 26, 2016 Marta Rawlings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While reading "Devil's Sonata" I was very grateful for Wikipedia. Living in the US all of my life, references to sixth-form students are Greek to me. I found that in a few other instances of slang, some of which the dictionary in my Kindle did help with. This was the only thing that gave me any difficulty with the book. Otherwise, I did enjoy"Devil's Sonata".

At times I forgot the fact the Zuleika Rathbone was the main character. There are so many interesting characters that none really receives
Jan 07, 2013 Sandra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
(Will probably contain spoilers!)
Hm, what do I think?

I think it was a quick and easy read, which was actually what I was looking for. Still I am disappointed. Why?
Let's start with the characters. The first thing that really aggravated me was the choice of names. I mean ... Zuleika, Verity, Petrus, Wyndham, Sylvestra ... really? Since this book is (in my eyes) not build up as fantasy etc., I somehow cannot forgive this accumulation of curious, odd and sometimes even ridiculous names. Now this mig
Jan 07, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not the author's usual, but wonderful all the same

This subject matter is not my cup of tea, but I enjoy this author so much, I thought I would give it a go.

I couldn't put it down, which surprised me. It's not exactly a mystery, but the characters are involved in tracing a family's genealogy, which can be very fascinating, in and of itself.

As a Christian, I firmly believe in evil. I think anyone who has ever had the privilege of speaking to a Holocaust survivor, would absolutely understand that p
Feb 07, 2016 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth and final time I've taken the time to carefully write a review that Goodreads refuses to save. I'm done. No more reviews, you're all on your own.

This is a good read *yadda yadda*. Ms. E. breaking through to current day setting *yadda*.

Creepy, not horror *yadda yadda*

Easy page-turner. Go for it.

I hope you enjoyed my final review.

Okay, that's probably a lie, but... dang it! frustrating. This one was even only three paragraphs, succinct... everything I'm not so good at doing. *sig
Aug 08, 2011 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was expecting a typical teen horror story, but was pleasantly surprised. The book is set in a British boarding school, so many of the characters are teens. But many others are adults, including the main character Zuleika. Most of the characters were well-developed and enjoyable to get to know. The setting, an old Abbey converted to a manor house and then a school, was almost a character in itself. The architectural descriptions made me wish for illustrations.

Ms. Edmondson's plot starts off qu
Suzi Willis
Jan 15, 2016 Suzi Willis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Devilishly GoodBook !

I really liked this book. It held my interest from beginning to end. In fact the only thing I DIDN'T like, is the fact I couldn't keep reading it. There is real excitement and atmosphere in the story. It did not disappoint on any level. Am looking forward to reading more from Ms. Edmondson soon.
Jul 26, 2016 Vickie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A safe delve into an evil subject

The thing I like about EE is the way she builds a story and the characters together. She doesn't spend a lot of time in fluffy character creations. She lets the story tell the reader who they are. This story had some dark elements without being over the top freighting. I thoroughly enjoyed this book as i have so many of her others.
Feb 19, 2012 Blair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to give this a 3.5. I was really enjoying it and looking forward to the climactic scene which was promised by the steady build-up throughout, when all of a sudden the author loosely concluded events with an epilogue. I really resented that.
Norma Garcia
Jan 19, 2016 Norma Garcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The story pulled you in and layer by layer entranced you, it would make a scintillating script for a movie
Nancy McLaughlin
Absorbing read

A dark mystery that I couldn't put down. Evil from the past that ensnares the present. Well written, but typos were distracting.
Ibbie White
May 21, 2016 Ibbie White rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Excellent characterizations. Complex story line, entertaining. A little spooky but keeps interest. More involved plot than in author's other works I've read.
Catie rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2011
Karen Nelson
Karen Nelson rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
JH rated it it was ok
Feb 28, 2016
Veronica Greer
Veronica Greer rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2016
Mr. Iven
Mr. Iven rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
William Colley
William Colley rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
tan sze lian celine
tan sze lian celine rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Sue R. Russell
Sue R. Russell rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2015
kathyblue rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2015
Anne Estes
Anne Estes rated it liked it
Oct 21, 2015
Patricia Fernandez
Patricia Fernandez rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Linda rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Marie Korb
Marie Korb rated it really liked it
May 04, 2016
Julia rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Natalie rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Julie rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
ANNA BROOKES rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2016
Lee Pratt
Lee Pratt rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Adrien rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Chile, and educated in Calcutta and London before going to Oxford University, Elizabeth Edmondson now divides her time between the countryside north of Rome and the spires of Oxford. She is married to an art historian and has two children.

I write historical mysteries about love, marriage families and friendship, where the loyalties, feuds, secrets and betrayals of the past cast long shadow
More about Elizabeth Edmondson...

“He had an astonishing voice, deep and sonorous, a Christopher Lee of a voice.” 0 likes