Start by marking “Our Sunshine” as Want to Read:
Our Sunshine

Robert Drewe

Our Sunshine

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Ned Kelly is the extraordinary tale of a man whose story outgrew his life. Robert Drewe's re-creation of the inner life of Ned Kelly, the National Hero and Devil Incarnate of Australia, is written with brilliant clarity and impressionistic economy. It carries the reader into a dreamworld of astonishing and violent revelation, an entrancing and frightening landscape of murd ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Our Sunshine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Sunshine

Glen O'Brien
The original title of this book is "Our Sunshine." Changing it to "Ned Kelly" is an unfortunate marketing device to tie in with the film that was based on the novel.
Todd Stockslager
Review title: The original smart-ass
Ned Kelly, in the book (I haven't seen the movie with Heath Ledger and Orlando Bloom) comes across as the lovable smart-ass, but with a sharp edge. In a first-person inner monologue, Drewe tells the story of Australia's most famous outlaw elliptically and sometimes cryptically. Perhaps it is Australia's history as a nation of outlaws that made him so revered and sheltered like no other outlaw save perhaps Robin Hood and Jesse James.

Drewe's Kelly is a spirited
Linda Funnell
Robert Drewe’s Ned Kelly gets under the skin.

But back in 1991, the most remarkable thing about the Ned Kelly story was that our best-known folk hero had not received more attention fr
J.M.
Andrew
this review first appeared on [http://intraspace.blogspot.com]

this, apparently, is the book that the film 'ned kelly' was based on. as is often the case though, i didn't notice too many similarities other than the fact that both were about ned kelly.

i picked this up as a quick read - a book that anna got at an op shop i think. it turned out to be quite good. the narrative style is almost a stream-of-consciousness approach - it has a poetic quality to it.

i think there is a connection here between
Mark Wilson
Robert Drewe's "Our Sunshine" (original title) is the novel that was later adapted into the film "Ned Kelly" starring Heath Ledger. Drewe's writing is exquisite and although I found the book a little disjointed, I really enjoyed his beautiful language. The book suffered a little from not flowing smoothly, which was a little jarring at first, but the surreal imagery Drewe creates makes up for this.
Phillip
I began this book expecting a kind of rollicking adventure story, a Western set in Australia with Irish accents, which is pretty much what the movie is. However, this is a very different type of story than what we get in the film version. First off, this novel is not linear. I think the narrative style is mean to reflect Ned Kelly's thoughts, memories, and anxieties on the night of the battle at Glenrowan, where Kelly was captured by police. Through the irregular and incomplete memories you get ...more
Ty
Although it is based on the true story, the author admits that he has let the legends spum from it shape this story as much as the historical facts. The stream of consciousness sometimes confusioned me as it went back and forth between 3rd and 1st person. Quick chapters made for a quick reading paste.

The Australian author is clearly writting for an Australian audience (with some taken for granted knowledge) so a few things were left out that confused me. I have been to the jail were Ned was hung
Cheyenne Blue
A novel of Ned Kelly, told in disjointed tiny chapters. Took me a while to get into this, but the language carried me along, and it grew on me along the way.
Cüneyt
it was amazing.
Newtown Review of Books
Nine years before Peter Carey published his Booker-winner The True History of the Kelly Gang, he gave a cover endorsement to Robert Drewe’s Our Sunshine, claiming it would ‘forever change the way we see Ned Kelly’. With hindsight, Carey could also have been writing the creative brief for his own, later, achievement. Read more:: http://newtownreviewofbooks.com/2012/...
Debbie
This would have been a much harder book to get through if I didn't already know the story of Ned Kelly, the Australian bushranger that could be compared to the United States' Jesse James. It was very poignently written but several times, I was very tempted to just put the book down. The only reason I didn't was because I was reading the book as research for my senior thesis.
Anthony
Interesting style.
I think I enjoyed the purpose and concept of the novel more than the novel itself.
It was written well, it was just hard to follow since it was very fragmented.
Overall, Drewe indeed wrote an interesting novel.
Justin
Here's the weirdness of colonial Australia in full voice. Conjures up parrots and eucalypts, Tucker and Nolan, Irish police, Irish horse thieves - treats Ned well without glory.
Valerie F
Dec 18, 2007 Valerie F rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ???
Shelves: fiction
In my quest to understand more about Australia, I picked this up at a Sydney BC meetup. Honestly, I barely remember how bad I thought it was. Not for me...
Michelle Prak
One of those books that made me cry when I finished it. But, I preferred it when it was called the original title, Our Sunshine!
Miriam
Sharon
Totally Uninteresting
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Leonie Netherton
Leonie Netherton marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Frederick Rotzien
Frederick Rotzien marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Snef Snef
Snef Snef marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2015
Peta
Peta added it
Aug 01, 2015
Meri
Meri marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
j to the muthafuckin R
j to the muthafuckin R marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • Elemental
  • Journey to the Stone Country
  • Rich in Love
  • Carpentaria
Robert Drewe is among Australia’s most loved writers – of novels, memoir and short stories. His iconic Australian books include The Shark Net, The Bodysurfers and Our Sunshine. He is also editor of Black Inc.’s Best Australian Stories annual series. Recently, he has revisited the short story himself, with a masterful new collection, The Rip. Jo Case spoke to him for Readings about storytelling.
More about Robert Drewe...
Shark Net The Bodysurfers The Rip The Drowner 10 Short Stories You Must Read This Year