Start by marking “Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)

Summer Desserts (Great Chefs #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,183 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
Could a cordon bleu chef be a junk-food addict? The more Blake Cocharan learned about Summer Lyndon, dessert chef extraordinaire, the more intrigued he became-and the more determined he was to hire her. Blake wanted the Best, and Summer looked extremely good to him. Her superb credentials were icing on the cake. Summer was accustomed to traveling around the world, creating ...more
Published September 15th 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Desserts

Erika
"We'll be working together for a specific purpose," she went on smoothly. "But we're two different people with two very different outlooks. You're interested in a profit, naturally, and in the reputation of your company. I'm interested in creating the proper showcase for my art, and my own reputation. We both want to be successful. Let's not cloud the issue."
"That issue's perfectly clear," Blake countered. "So's this one. I want you."
"Ah." The sound came out slowly. Deliberately she reached for
Ronna
Aug 04, 2014 Ronna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This book was not for me. I was hoping for a light romance with a little substance, but it was more a lust for food and lustful romance. More sex than loving relationships. Though if that is what you're looking for, the book was written fairly well.

Summer Lyndon, super chef who commands respect and large payments for her delectable treats, is hired by Blake Cocharan, successful hotel owner, to super class his hotel restaurants. The attraction is immediate and goes through some issues before all
Saly
This book was full of food analogies which is only fair considering that the heroine was a famous dessert chef, the hero a businessman that wanted her to work for his business. I didn't really enjoy the romance much, the heroine didn't believe in romance only in her work while the hero fell for quick and strategized to win her over.
Joana Americano
Oct 26, 2015 Joana Americano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book, full of food and romance!
L F
Dec 31, 2015 L F rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Big disappointment.

This book is so vague that even the generalities are hidden. The plot is absolutely translucent. I kept thinking that something would happen to save this book, but it continued to the end to be a pre teen level book with no plot, using adjectives and adverbs to fill up the page. This book is a total waste of time to read. Pick up another book to read because this book does not have one saving grace.
Melodie
A famous,temperamental pastry chef and a hotel tycoon square off in one of Nora Roberts' romances from the 1990's.Summer Lyndon is an artist. Her edible works of art are coveted the world over.Blake Cocharan, scion of a hotel dynasty is very used to getting exactly what he wants. And he wants Summer Lyndon. Summer can admit to an attraction to Blake, but long term commitment to a personal relationship is more than she can stomach.So the inevitable game ensues.
There are very few authors that ca
Maria
Aug 23, 2010 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
whenever i read a nora roberts book i get immediatly sucked in, and this was the same, although not as bad as the bride quartet! i reaally loved the whole merry-go-round metaphor and how Blake was so sweet with her. I really didn't like how full of themselves both Blake and Summer were, but i guess that was part of the appeal. As always nora roberts adds a little angst, but it was good, and i think i definitly liked Blake better than Summer, since he was such a romantic and optimist, while Summe ...more
Marisa Sauco
Apr 28, 2015 Marisa Sauco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡Me encantó esta novela! ¡Es hermosa!
¡Leer a Nora Roberts SIEMPRE es un PLACER! Conocedora, como pocas, del género romántico, tiene esa magia especial que hace que adores, irremediablemente, todas sus historias de amor y a todos sus personajes.
Su pluma es exquisita, impecable, y sus historias te seducen y te atrapan desde sus primeras páginas.
Sin dudas, es una de mis escritoras favoritas.
¡Absolutamente recomendada!
Trea
Jul 26, 2014 Trea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2014
I wasn't that impressed with this book. While it could be set in contemporary times, there were little signals that it was set in what was contemporary for its time of writing. I felt the heroine was too self absorbed, making it very hard to connect with her. The hero, while wealthy, was very single minded and also self absorbed to a degree. Yet, we're supposed to believe that they come out of their absorption long enough to fall in love? Didn't ring true for me and the hasty wedding at the end ...more
Gail
Nice story. I wanted a nice little romance when I checked this one out of the library. It's a little more than that. Like a really fancy dessert (I am borrowing metaphors from the book), it was a little too much for me. A fancy bombe cake when what I really wanted was apple crisp. The language is all flowery and the romance all dramatic and flowery and I feel kinda dumb for not liking it that much, but-- I did like it. But it was a tad too much for the kind of read I really wanted. All on me.

The
Brenda Margriet
Aug 21, 2012 Brenda Margriet rated it liked it
I liked how Summer was so unapologetically melodramatic...she has an artistic temperament, is a genius at what she does, and isn't ashamed of that. Deserves her reputation.

Blake was a bit boring, really. He and Summer were interesting, and he certainly new how to handle her but thought he was kind of stodgy on his own. Which is was supposed to be, but still.

Good standard NR fare.
Michele
Jun 04, 2012 Michele rated it did not like it
I put this book down after about 35 pages. I tried my best to ignore how pompous and arrogant the main characters were, but just couldn't. I would have preferred a more small town feel, and that says a lot considering I am from Philly (where the book is based). Wasn't my favorite, Roberts let me down tremendously with this one.
Tiffany
This book was just o.k. for me. I didn't care too much for the two main characters. They were prideful and arrogant when it came to their work. They were both a little work obsessed. They were both smokers which I don't find appealing in characters at all. The plot of the story I liked if I would have liked the characters.
Mae
May 19, 2012 Mae rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't get past the smug superiority of both the main characters. I gave it a few chapters, but when I found myself wanting to throw them both off a balcony, or set them on fire with one of those blowtorches they use in a kitchen, I gave up. Arrogant, annoying and frankly uninteresting. Bleh.
Chrissy
Feb 09, 2016 Chrissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To start with, his book made me hungry! All the talk of delicious food and yummy desserts was wonderful and hunger inducing!

Summer has a standard issue NR mom: flighty, inclined to fall in and out of love on whim. Like most other of NR's female characters with this type of parent, Summer is untrusting of men and relationships. She travels the world making her dessert creations and never really stays in one place.

Blake is running his family's hotel chains, and has decided that he needs the best c
Mafi
Eu já tinha achado o 2º da duologia fraco mas este foi mesmo para cortar os pulsos com um esparguete! LOL achei tudo muito sem sal, personagens sem química, a escrita não me prendeu. Não gostei.
Romanticdryad
I thought this one was cute and sweet and quick to read. I know there was a lack of general conflict but I kind of enjoyed there not being a real villain this time around. Roberts' villains tend to be fairly one note most of the time and romance is just as likely to be hindered by fears and insecurity as by a dark outside force.

I didn't find Blake all that relatable but I've worked in a kitchen and I think Summer's ego, the drama and the egos of those around her seemed reasonably accurate. Her f
Maura
Desty
Saya tertarik untuk membaca ebook ini tentu saja karena nama besar Nora Roberts. Di samping itu, novel ini merupakan seri pertama dari Great Chef karya Nora Roberts. Novel ini sendiri sudah diterjemahkan oleh Gramedia Pustaka Utama dalam serial Languange of Love, dengan judul Manisnya Cinta. Dan saya tidak rugi, karena ceritanya memang cukup menarik untuk dibaca.

Novel ini bercerita tentang a cordon bleu chef bernama Summer Lyndon. Dia adalah seorang chef pembuat makanan penutup yang terkenal. Sa
Lucie Paris
Dec 23, 2011 Lucie Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reactions:
Impressive mastery! Nora Roberts was able to build all of her novel on the attraction between Blake and Summer. It was so well put together that the story, the setting or the events become secondary. The author manages to lead his reader by the nose ... She manages to capture and keep the attention of her assistance just by describing in a fair, poignant and vivid words the feelings that are born, grow and flourish between the main characters.

From the first pages, the reader falls unde
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Ini adalah buku pertama dari 2 buku yang ditulis NR dengan topik yg sama yaitu tentang kuliner dan Chef.
Summer adalah chef hidangan penutup, orang rela membayar mahal untuk menikmati bombe buatannya yang sangat terkenal itu.
Keunikan dari Summer saat dia melakukan proses pembuatan hidangan penutupnya adalah music pengiring yang wajib diputarkan, yaitu music gubahan Chopin.
Blake mendiskripsikan Summer Lyndon sebagai wanita yang cantik, sedikit manja karena cara pengasuhan dan kesuksesan yanng dir
Marcia Berg Haskell
How much should a very successful person give up for love

This is the story of two people who are unique and who begin to work together. Both are committed to their work and creating the unique, she is a world class baker who takes on rearranging his hotel kitchen. He manages hotel chains and wants to keep them top class. Can they get past their assumptions about themselves to accept that they might fall in love without losing themselves or their work?
Tania Martins
Girinho mas só isso, irritou-me sobremaneira a vaidade e o nariz empinado da Summer e a forma como ela se vangloriava dos seus famosos bolos e de ser mega fantástica em tudo na cozinha, gostei de a ver cair do pedestal onde estava e dar o braço a torcer no final embora "empurrada" pela mãe maluca dela. Adorei o protagonista masculino mas o nome dele era de bradar aos céus, Cocharan III? Really!

A Nora já esteve mais inspirada, vamos ver como corre o segundo livro!
Elizabeth
Apr 13, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read_2012
Summer is a chef of great renown who never stays long in one place, but when an offer comes from Blake Cocharan to revamp his prestigious hotel chain's kitchen it's an offer she finds she can't refuse. She finds herself intrigued by the sexy hotel magnet, and he finds that she is one business decision that he'd like to make very, very personal.

Another charming back issue Robert's romance. It's fun to visit her older titles where you can find the roots of her more current romance trilogies. As a
Mahita
Apr 26, 2015 Mahita rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Two headstrong protagonists, sizzling romance, sumptuous desserts... A Cocharan legacy mixed with Summer Lyndon dessert special, to woo the readers. Yet, this left a lot to desire for. As much as I love Nora Roberts, this book was a disappointment. The characters are not evolved fully and a lot of pieces were left to be desired for, including the romance between the two characters, that just did not mush my heart :).
Cookie1
Feb 08, 2014 Cookie1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book. I read it on the Kindle. It was light, fun and easily read. Summer is a top notch dessert chef and Blake owns a hotel chain or two. His Father and her Mother had an affair long ago. I enjoy cooking so I loved the brief interludes of the kitchen in the story. Naturally Blake and Summer end up together but of course the pathway to their romance is not easy.
Alicia Williams
Oct 19, 2014 Alicia Williams rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book needs two sets of stars: one for if you read it in the decade in which it was published (4 stars) and one for reading it now (2 stars). It is extremely dated (lots of smoking, sexism, and the inability to understand that "no" means "no!") but still a pleasant light read. I enjoyed the foray into a chef's world -- and the glance back at how much things have improved (especially Nora's writing!).
Jen
Jan 10, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
Summer is a renowned chef who enjoys the challenge of traveling to create just one dish for her patrons. When Blake comes to her with the offer to run the kitchen in a Cocharan hotel, it's a challenge that she decides to take. Falling in love with Summer is easy for Blake, convincing her she loves him is a more difficult task.
Rebecca
Nov 16, 2015 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tired and flat

Minimal plot and lack of depth or development of characters. Wise yet complete lack of knowledge of food, food prep, kitchens or lives of chefs. The cigarette smoking between two main characters is also absurd. Appears to be written to capitalize on the food novel trend.
Amanda Sheila
I liked it but not exactly my favorite.

Why? Mostly because the lack of angst. Nora Roberts is fantastic with conversation and simple scenes that adorable. But this book isn't really appealing to me. I need more angst.

But overall, I enjoyed it. The author definitely made me hungry while reading this book. :)
  • Reluctant Father
  • Christmas with Her Boss
  • The Bad Luck Wedding Cake (Bad Luck Brides, #2)
  • The Headstrong Bride
  • The Naughty List
  • The Silver Compass
  • His Hired Baby (Safe Harbor Medical, #2)
  • Blessed Chance (Blessed Tragedy, #3)
  • Kids Is a 4-Letter Word
  • Husband by the Hour (Hometown Heartbreakers, #7)
  • The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)
  • The Sweetest Thing: A San Francisco Romantic Adventure (Destination Love Stories, #1)
  • Getting Real
  • Another Year
  • Sweet Revenge (New Orleans Trilogy, #2)
  • Loving Eliza (South Dakota Historicals #1)
  • Snow Day: Heart of the Storm\Seeing Red\Land's End
  • Johnny Living Dangerously
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Great Chefs (2 books)
  • Lessons Learned (Great Chefs, #2)

“I want you more than I should," she heard herself say. "I have you less than I want.” 12 likes
“It does not make you less of a woman to need a man. To need one to exist, yes, this is nonsense. To need one to give one scope and importance, this is dishonest. But to need a man, one man, to bring joy and passion? This is life” 12 likes