Start by marking “Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)

Summer Desserts (Great Chefs #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,456 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Published September 15th 2011 by Silhouette Desire (first published October 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Desserts

Erika
"We'll be working together for a specific purpose," she went on smoothly. "But we're two different people with two very different outlooks. You're interested in a profit, naturally, and in the reputation of your company. I'm interested in creating the proper showcase for my art, and my own reputation. We both want to be successful. Let's not cloud the issue."
"That issue's perfectly clear," Blake countered. "So's this one. I want you."
"Ah." The sound came out slowly. Deliberately she reached for
Ronna
This book was not for me. I was hoping for a light romance with a little substance, but it was more a lust for food and lustful romance. More sex than loving relationships. Though if that is what you're looking for, the book was written fairly well.

Summer Lyndon, super chef who commands respect and large payments for her delectable treats, is hired by Blake Cocharan, successful hotel owner, to super class his hotel restaurants. The attraction is immediate and goes through some issues before all
Saly
This book was full of food analogies which is only fair considering that the heroine was a famous dessert chef, the hero a businessman that wanted her to work for his business. I didn't really enjoy the romance much, the heroine didn't believe in romance only in her work while the hero fell for quick and strategized to win her over.
Melodie
A famous,temperamental pastry chef and a hotel tycoon square off in one of Nora Roberts' romances from the 1990's.Summer Lyndon is an artist. Her edible works of art are coveted the world over.Blake Cocharan, scion of a hotel dynasty is very used to getting exactly what he wants. And he wants Summer Lyndon. Summer can admit to an attraction to Blake, but long term commitment to a personal relationship is more than she can stomach.So the inevitable game ensues.
There are very few authors that ca
Maria
whenever i read a nora roberts book i get immediatly sucked in, and this was the same, although not as bad as the bride quartet! i reaally loved the whole merry-go-round metaphor and how Blake was so sweet with her. I really didn't like how full of themselves both Blake and Summer were, but i guess that was part of the appeal. As always nora roberts adds a little angst, but it was good, and i think i definitly liked Blake better than Summer, since he was such a romantic and optimist, while Summe ...more
Mafi
Eu já tinha achado o 2º da duologia fraco mas este foi mesmo para cortar os pulsos com um esparguete! LOL achei tudo muito sem sal, personagens sem química, a escrita não me prendeu. Não gostei.
Trea
I wasn't that impressed with this book. While it could be set in contemporary times, there were little signals that it was set in what was contemporary for its time of writing. I felt the heroine was too self absorbed, making it very hard to connect with her. The hero, while wealthy, was very single minded and also self absorbed to a degree. Yet, we're supposed to believe that they come out of their absorption long enough to fall in love? Didn't ring true for me and the hasty wedding at the end ...more
Maura
The plot had some promise, but the failure IMHO was in the characters. Blake was wealthy, arrogant and demanding - but he wasn't all that bad really. The heroine is the one I hated. She grew up wealthy and demands the best of everything. She's vain and conceded. She knows she's the best dessert chef out there and doesn't show an ounce of modesty at any time. She's beyond arrogant and demanding when it comes to her profession. And am I supposed to find it charming and her more likable because she ...more
Brenda Margriet
I liked how Summer was so unapologetically melodramatic...she has an artistic temperament, is a genius at what she does, and isn't ashamed of that. Deserves her reputation.

Blake was a bit boring, really. He and Summer were interesting, and he certainly new how to handle her but thought he was kind of stodgy on his own. Which is was supposed to be, but still.

Good standard NR fare.
Michele
I put this book down after about 35 pages. I tried my best to ignore how pompous and arrogant the main characters were, but just couldn't. I would have preferred a more small town feel, and that says a lot considering I am from Philly (where the book is based). Wasn't my favorite, Roberts let me down tremendously with this one.
Tiffany
This book was just o.k. for me. I didn't care too much for the two main characters. They were prideful and arrogant when it came to their work. They were both a little work obsessed. They were both smokers which I don't find appealing in characters at all. The plot of the story I liked if I would have liked the characters.
Mae
I couldn't get past the smug superiority of both the main characters. I gave it a few chapters, but when I found myself wanting to throw them both off a balcony, or set them on fire with one of those blowtorches they use in a kitchen, I gave up. Arrogant, annoying and frankly uninteresting. Bleh.
Romanticdryad
I thought this one was cute and sweet and quick to read. I know there was a lack of general conflict but I kind of enjoyed there not being a real villain this time around. Roberts' villains tend to be fairly one note most of the time and romance is just as likely to be hindered by fears and insecurity as by a dark outside force.

I didn't find Blake all that relatable but I've worked in a kitchen and I think Summer's ego, the drama and the egos of those around her seemed reasonably accurate. Her f
Duncan Mandel
Could a cordon bleu chef be a junk-food addict? The more Blake Cocharan learned about Summer Lyndon, dessert chef extraordinaire, the more intrigued he became-and the more determined he was to hire her. Blake wanted the Best, and Summer looked extremely good to him. Her superb credentials were icing on the cake. Summer was accustomed to traveling around the world, creating the perfect ending to perfect meals. But Blake had a unique appeal. Summer found herself responding to the challenge, both p ...more
destinugrainy
Saya tertarik untuk membaca ebook ini tentu saja karena nama besar Nora Roberts. Di samping itu, novel ini merupakan seri pertama dari Great Chef karya Nora Roberts. Novel ini sendiri sudah diterjemahkan oleh Gramedia Pustaka Utama dalam serial Languange of Love, dengan judul Manisnya Cinta. Dan saya tidak rugi, karena ceritanya memang cukup menarik untuk dibaca.

Novel ini bercerita tentang a cordon bleu chef bernama Summer Lyndon. Dia adalah seorang chef pembuat makanan penutup yang terkenal. Sa
Lucie Fuentes
Reactions:
Impressive mastery! Nora Roberts was able to build all of her novel on the attraction between Blake and Summer. It was so well put together that the story, the setting or the events become secondary. The author manages to lead his reader by the nose ... She manages to capture and keep the attention of her assistance just by describing in a fair, poignant and vivid words the feelings that are born, grow and flourish between the main characters.

From the first pages, the reader falls unde
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Ini adalah buku pertama dari 2 buku yang ditulis NR dengan topik yg sama yaitu tentang kuliner dan Chef.
Summer adalah chef hidangan penutup, orang rela membayar mahal untuk menikmati bombe buatannya yang sangat terkenal itu.
Keunikan dari Summer saat dia melakukan proses pembuatan hidangan penutupnya adalah music pengiring yang wajib diputarkan, yaitu music gubahan Chopin.
Blake mendiskripsikan Summer Lyndon sebagai wanita yang cantik, sedikit manja karena cara pengasuhan dan kesuksesan yanng dir
Elizabeth
Summer is a chef of great renown who never stays long in one place, but when an offer comes from Blake Cocharan to revamp his prestigious hotel chain's kitchen it's an offer she finds she can't refuse. She finds herself intrigued by the sexy hotel magnet, and he finds that she is one business decision that he'd like to make very, very personal.

Another charming back issue Robert's romance. It's fun to visit her older titles where you can find the roots of her more current romance trilogies. As a
Cookie1
I enjoyed this book. I read it on the Kindle. It was light, fun and easily read. Summer is a top notch dessert chef and Blake owns a hotel chain or two. His Father and her Mother had an affair long ago. I enjoy cooking so I loved the brief interludes of the kitchen in the story. Naturally Blake and Summer end up together but of course the pathway to their romance is not easy.
Alicia Williams
This book needs two sets of stars: one for if you read it in the decade in which it was published (4 stars) and one for reading it now (2 stars). It is extremely dated (lots of smoking, sexism, and the inability to understand that "no" means "no!") but still a pleasant light read. I enjoyed the foray into a chef's world -- and the glance back at how much things have improved (especially Nora's writing!).
Amanda Sheila
I liked it but not exactly my favorite.

Why? Mostly because the lack of angst. Nora Roberts is fantastic with conversation and simple scenes that adorable. But this book isn't really appealing to me. I need more angst.

But overall, I enjoyed it. The author definitely made me hungry while reading this book. :)
Justine
First of all, this book made me soooo hungry. Everytime they talked about one of her desserts, I wanted to run to a bakery. I listened to this on audiobook, and I believe I would have liked it better if I would have just read it. It alternated between who's point of view it was, but it never said when it was switch. Confusing at parts.
Jessi
Most definitely a romance from the early 90s, this is still a fun story.
Summer Lyndon is a renown dessert chef. And Blake Cocharan wants her. For his restaurant. What?
Yes, he also finds her very attractive.
Michelle
You can tell these (this and Best Laid Plans) were little Harlequin-type books -- there isn't time for any build-up of the relationship. They seem to be kissing the first time they meet. So these are okay, but I'd like more development.
Aruna Nandigama
A Good Book, a story about Chef. A Strong willed woman, who chose her profession as chef, meets equally strong willed person.

Will she conquer her fears and take a chance at a merry-go-around.
Mandy
As an author, Nora Roberts rarely overwhelms me. I’m not saying that she’s a bad writer. On the contrary, she routinely writes books of a high quality. If I’m looking for a relaxing read that’s sure to be well written, I turn to Roberts. That being said, I found this book to be lacking. The characters were just shy of deplorable and their relationship was severely underdeveloped. Likewise, there was very little plot. While reading this, I wondered if Roberts was just filling a slot in her yearly ...more
Nancy Steinle gummel
Summer Desserts is another wonderful story from Nora Roberts. You can't go wrong with one of her books. This one is no different. Summer Lyndon is a master chef born in France, badic education in England and culinary school in France. She based out of Philadelphia but her art takes her all over the world building master desserts for her clients. Then there's Blake Cocharan, CEO of Cochatan House International, a chain of high end, sophisticated hotels around the world. His Philadelphia hotels re ...more
Mireille
Not bad but it felt a little too conflit-less, like "these pretty people met, then got together, and... that's it". Summer was an interesting character, and I liked their dialogue once they got together, but the ending marriage was way too rushed and yeah, just forgettable.
Barbara
A fun light hearted Nora Roberts romance. All the descriptions of food particularly desserts made me hungry
Weaverannie
Erg voorspelbaar boek over chef kok Summer, gespecialiseerd in desserts, die om die desserts te maken de wereld over reist om op feesten voor veel geld die desserts te produceren.
Ze krijgt het aanbod van een hoteleigenaar om de keuken van zijn hotel te reorganiseren. Aanvankelijk heeft ze daar niet veel zin in, maar na enige prikkelende opmerkingen van Blake, de hotelier, gaat ze de uitdaging aan.
Summer heeft niet veel vertrouwen in het huwelijk: haar ouders zijn gescheiden, haar moeder is aan h
  • Lady Love
  • Love Bites
  • Seeing Red (Firefighter, #3)
  • Ready For Marriage
  • The Bad Luck Wedding Cake (Bad Luck Brides, #2)
  • Deep Autumn Heat (Star Harbor, #1)
  • The Petrakos Bride
  • Babycakes (Cupcake Club, #3)
  • Coming Home
  • Erotic Invitation (Harlequin Blaze, #17)
  • Sweet Laurel Falls (Hope's Crossing, #3)
  • Open House (Kingston Brothers, #1)
  • Taken in Death (in Death, #37.5)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

“I want you more than I should," she heard herself say. "I have you less than I want.” 12 likes
“It does not make you less of a woman to need a man. To need one to exist, yes, this is nonsense. To need one to give one scope and importance, this is dishonest. But to need a man, one man, to bring joy and passion? This is life” 12 likes