Start by marking “Death at the Deep End” as Want to Read:
Death at the Deep End

Death at the Deep End (Miss Silver #20)

Miss Silver searches for a lonely young woman who has disappeared

Anna Ball has disappeared. For a year she has moved from one job as a nanny to another, unable to settle or make friends. After just a month with her last family, she walks down the road, steps onto a bus, and is never seen again. No one notices she has gone. Almost no one. There is one woman who cares about
Published July 26th 2011 by Open Road Media Mystery & Thriller (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Deep End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Deep End

Claude
Apr 24, 2015 Claude rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery, a
One and half stars really. OK, I did finish it but had trouble focusing on an extremely boring story. I read quite a few Miss Silver mysteries when I was young and liked them a lot. This one I seemed to have missed and I shouldn't have spent time on. All I can remember is Miss Silver's knitting needles clicking... Yawn...
Ahmad Sharabiani
Anna Where Are You (Miss Silver #20), Patricia Wentworth
Rachel Piper
May 01, 2011 Rachel Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, own
Enjoyed this very much, though I guessed the twist fairly early on. This is also the second mystery I've read in the past year that has used Tennyson's poem "Enoch Arden" as a plot point, the other being Agatha Christie's "There is a Tide."
Allison Henle
One of my least-favorites, although Miss Silver comes through in fine form, as always. Both of the young lovers are fairly dumb, and behave poorly to each other. The mystery itself is not well-disguised.
Julie
Miss Silver is called in on a missing persons case involving a young woman named Anna. She is called in to help Inspector Abbot and the police and goes undercover as a governess to uncover the truth.

Well-written classic mystery with great twist.
Andrea
Jan 15, 2017 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Miss Silver mystery had an ominous beginning, with some foreshadowing about the fact that this was “one of her most dangerous and disturbing cases”, and that it “was to call forth all her courage and test to the uttermost the qualities which had brought her success”. While I’m not sure that I found Miss Silver’s search for Anna Ball to be so dramatically different from her previous cases, it was certainly a story of some brutal murders, and of a particularly vengeful criminal.

It begins when
Rebecca
When Thomasina stops hearing from her old school friend Anna, she worries because Anna has no family and no other friends, and wouldn't stop writing unless something were wrong. While her cousin Peter rants at her for doing anything at all, Thomasina stands up to him and reports to the police, then hires Miss Silver to investigate Anna's last position at a partially-bombed-out country manor house. Miss Silver finds a would-be artistic community surrounding the master of the house, Peverell Cradd ...more
Cera
Aug 23, 2012 Cera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was almost unbearably enjoyable; I really didn't want it to end. The combination of village personal drama with murder mystery is great, although of course I suspect I'd like it even more without the mystery.

"It is quite extraordinary how angrily you can dislike a persopn with whom you are in love. Peter had moments of cold fury in which he told himself that he never wanted to see her again. As these persisted side by side with a complete inability to stay away from her, his mental state wa
Anna
Dec 13, 2013 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This starts as a missing person story and develops slowly but with a marvelous atmosphere of menace, until suddenly wrapping up in just a few dramatic scenes like the author suddenly realized that the book was going to be too long. The romance in for this one seems forced and I think we could have had a better book if it had been omitted and could have got by without some of the illogical actions of some characters. I also think it would have been a much better book if it could have been about t ...more
Rita
Sep 12, 2007 Rita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Wentworth's "Miss Silver" mysteries.
They are comforting to read.
Some are better than others.

This [1951] is one of the better ones, where she goes more into the behavior and personalities of the characters.

"The case is closed" [1937] was less interesting to me because most of it was plot plot plot, less about people.

The parallels between the two books were striking: adventurous, brave, intelligent young woman takes action, and ends up in the arms of her cooler, more rational man friend [w
Evelyn Brooks
Nov 13, 2016 Evelyn Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Dark, Complex Suspense Mystery from an Amazing Author

I have the utmost respect for Patricia Wentworth's body of work and this top notch entry from 1951 hopefully won her lauds during her lifetime. Deft characterization as always, but this time Miss Silver appears in the first chapter and is central to the story throughout. Others in the series do not have so much "page-time" (I'm making this analogous to screen time for an actor) for Miss Silver. Thoroughly enjoyable but not as cozy as some o
John
Jun 06, 2016 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old Agatha Christie / Ellery McQueen style murder mystery, set in the postwar era but in a style of much earlier, more like the Edwardian era.

Anna is an unprepossessing woman that stops writing letters to her school friend after she takes up work as a governess in a vaguely Arts and Craft like colony around a mansion bombed and abandoned after WW2.

Miss Silver is an elderly spinster who goes to investigate. The ending is a bit contrived and overwrought in the prewar style but the pretensions of
Diane
another great cozy mystery featuring Miss Silver, an intrepid older lady who was once a governess and now does private inquiries! She is an astute judge of human nature, and never fails to discover "whodunit." am looking forward to reading many moe of the books in this series.
Anna
Feb 20, 2010 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad bought me this book when I was much younger. I don't know if I was rereading or reading it for the first time. I didn't remember it, and it was a really enjoyable read that I finished in a day.
Susan
Oct 27, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Recommended to Susan by: Oyster
Shelves: mysteries
An unhappy and lonely soul leaves her job as a lady’s companion for another job and disappears. A worried friend’s advertisement leads to dark doings…and Miss Silver to sort things out in this somewhat melodramatic tale.
Trisha
Jul 20, 2015 Trisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
tja, wat zal ik er van vinden. review volgt...
Abigail
Oct 04, 2016 Abigail rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-books
It was fine -dull, predictable - but written well enough, I suppose.
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Donald
Donald rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2016
Bridget
Bridget rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2012
gloria maras
gloria maras rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2017
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Nuala Raftery
Nuala Raftery rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Angela Dennehy
Angela Dennehy rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Erin Sorrels
Erin Sorrels rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Gordon Jones
Gordon Jones rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2013
Tinchen
Tinchen rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2012
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Teresa Gibson
Teresa Gibson rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2016
Susan Shank
Susan Shank rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2012
  • Pearls Before Swine (Albert Campion Mystery #12)
  • The Problem at Two Tithes (An Angela Marchmont Mystery #7)
  • Death in Berlin
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • A Murder in Auschwitz
  • A Series of Murders
  • Mud, Muck and Dead Things (Campbell and Carter Mystery, #1)
  • A Dissection of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #1)
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)

“Fancy going out into the world under the impression that you can always have your own way! Would anything be more likely to lead to disaster?” 0 likes