Start by marking “Death at the Deep End” as Want to Read:
Death at the Deep End

Death at the Deep End (Miss Silver #20)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  193 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Miss Silver searches for a lonely young woman who has disappeared

Anna Ball has disappeared. For a year she has moved from one job as a nanny to another, unable to settle or make friends. After just a month with her last family, she walks down the road, steps onto a bus, and is never seen again. No one notices she has gone.Almost no one. There is one woman who cares about A
Published July 26th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Death at the Deep End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death at the Deep End

Rebecca
When Thomasina stops hearing from her old school friend Anna, she worries because Anna has no family and no other friends, and wouldn't stop writing unless something were wrong. While her cousin Peter rants at her for doing anything at all, Thomasina stands up to him and reports to the police, then hires Miss Silver to investigate Anna's last position at a partially-bombed-out country manor house. Miss Silver finds a would-be artistic community surrounding the master of the house, Peverell Cradd ...more
Cera
This was almost unbearably enjoyable; I really didn't want it to end. The combination of village personal drama with murder mystery is great, although of course I suspect I'd like it even more without the mystery.

"It is quite extraordinary how angrily you can dislike a persopn with whom you are in love. Peter had moments of cold fury in which he told himself that he never wanted to see her again. As these persisted side by side with a complete inability to stay away from her, his mental state wa
Rita
I like Wentworth's "Miss Silver" mysteries.
They are comforting to read.
Some are better than others.

This [1951] is one of the better ones, where she goes more into the behavior and personalities of the characters.

"The case is closed" [1937] was less interesting to me because most of it was plot plot plot, less about people.

The parallels between the two books were striking: adventurous, brave, intelligent young woman takes action, and ends up in the arms of her cooler, more rational man friend [w
Diane
another great cozy mystery featuring Miss Silver, an intrepid older lady who was once a governess and now does private inquiries! She is an astute judge of human nature, and never fails to discover "whodunit." am looking forward to reading many moe of the books in this series.
Rachel Piper
Enjoyed this very much, though I guessed the twist fairly early on. This is also the second mystery I've read in the past year that has used Tennyson's poem "Enoch Arden" as a plot point, the other being Agatha Christie's "There is a Tide."
Anna
My dad bought me this book when I was much younger. I don't know if I was rereading or reading it for the first time. I didn't remember it, and it was a really enjoyable read that I finished in a day.
Janet
Janet marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Hstrait
Hstrait marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Lilania Kershaw
Lilania Kershaw marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Aaf
Aaf marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Deadly Duo
  • Death in Berlin
  • The Vanishing Shadow (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #1)
  • Death of a Fool (Roderick Alleyn, #19)
  • Detection Unlimited (Inspector Hemingway Mystery #4)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • Blood on the Water (William Monk, #20)
  • Hunter's Fall (The Hunters, #13)
  • Warehouse 13: A Touch of Fever
Patricia Wentworth--born Dora Amy Elles--was a British crime fiction writer.

She was educated privately and at Blackheath High School in London. After the death of her first husband, George F. Dillon, in 1906, she settled in Camberley, Surrey. She married George Oliver Turnbull in 1920 and they had one daughter.

She wrote a series of 32 classic-style whodunnits featuring Miss Silver, the first of wh
More about Patricia Wentworth...

Miss Silver (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1)
  • The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2)
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Danger Point (Miss Silver, #4)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Clock Strikes Twelve (Miss Silver, #7)
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • She Came Back (Miss Silver, #9)
  • Pilgrim's Rest (Miss Silver, #10)
Grey Mask (Miss Silver, #1) Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16) The Case Is Closed (Miss Silver, #2) Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29) The Catherine Wheel (Miss Silver, #15)