Start by marking “The Weekend That Changed Wall Street: And How the Fallout Is Still Impacting Our World” as Want to Read:

A first-person account of the white-knuckle weekend that brought the financial world to its knees, from one of America's most famous business reporters.
As bankers and government officials scrambled to keep the economy from total collapse during the weekend of September 12-14, 2008, top CNBC anchor Maria Bartiromo was taking frantic phone calls from the most powerful playe
Published September 1st 2011 by Portfolio (first published September 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Weekend That Changed Wall Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weekend That Changed Wall Street

Tara
Apr 17, 2012 Tara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I grow up, I want to be like Maria Bartiromo!! :)

You won't find in this book the technical details on what derivatives are, or what "toxic assets" are, that sit in the banks financial statements (or not) and that created the systemic financial meltdown we had in 2008. What you'll find though, are the key players during the crisis as they come together to resolve it... or tried to. You would know who was the actual "too big to fail" company (or at least, I didn't b/c I didn't follow the news
Dave Jones
This book examines the events and players behind the financial meltdown that started September 12-14 2008. Ms. Batiromo replays this weekend including the actions and insights of the major players. (She enjoyed first-hand access with many of these people.)

For students of economics and investments, there is a lot of information to ponder. The last chapter is the high water mark of the book in which she ponders whether Capitalism itself is to blame. Many lessor catalysts of this tragedy are also r
Martin
Nov 28, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I continue to gobble up books about the '08 financial crisis, because a) it's important to know the details and important to simply know about it. b) I don't understand any of it. c) I'm fascinated by the fact that I understand none of it even though I'm inundating myself with information about it. Bartiromo has gotten me closer to understanding because, by dint of her capacity, has a unique perspective of the particulars. She explains much of the happenstance by way of metaphors, which is reall ...more
Phil Mullen
This may be the 7th of such books I've read since the Great Recession of 2008, & it's a lot more superficial than some of the others.

What's nice about it, though, is that it shows how, through the author's connections, she could see the crash coming, & feel the thrashing about as power-brokers tried to save themselves & their organizations.

So I'm glad I read it (AND that I got it from the library!).
Shawn Q
Dec 13, 2013 Shawn Q rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow, is this a disappointment. Reads like a fans accounting of the crisis. Continually apologizing for and defending the bad actors who caused the mess. Also doesn't read so much as an insiders view as a viewers perspective. We all watched the news, I would appreciate some behind the scenes. That being said, it's a reasonable approximation of the crisis - as long as you read it as written by a diehard capitalist (and read it with a huge grain of salt).
SallyStenger
Brand new book about the weekend in September 2008. Didn't like it quite as much as some others I have read. Felt it was a little superficial. However it is helpful to fill in a little additional information. Maria Bartiromo has a news program called Closing Bell about the stock market and that's her experience.
Sandy
Oct 30, 2010 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Made understandable why everything crashed at once and why it was too connected to fail, not "too big to fail".
Peter
Abandoned this a few days after starting it. Don't know what didn't resonate with me. Well written, can't criticize it, it just wasn't a match for me.

Nmkt library ebook.
Mike
Jun 30, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although it's been 5 years since I've read this, I remember it very well. Bartiromo writes about the financial collapse in a simple understandable way.
Jeremiah
Not bad, a little on the fluff side. I did enjoy reading about the major players and seeing them from a more personal perspective.
Mark
Oct 18, 2010 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great recount of the recent/current/ongoing financial crisis with a bird's eye view of Bartiromo.
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Alejandro
Alejandro rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2010
Bob Connell
Bob Connell rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2016
Mohamad Bourji
Mohamad Bourji rated it did not like it
May 04, 2015
Jennifer Stewart
Jennifer Stewart rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Josephine
Josephine rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2015
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Terry
Terry rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2011
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Kevin Curry
Kevin Curry rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Nicole Shea
Nicole Shea rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Anne Defot Sido
Anne Defot Sido rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2014
Connie Smith
Connie Smith rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2011
Robert Mcfarlane
Robert Mcfarlane rated it it was ok
Aug 09, 2015
Marilyn
Marilyn rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Christine Mulcahy
Christine Mulcahy rated it liked it
Sep 17, 2011
Maryann
Maryann rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016