Start by marking “Afterglow (Lodestone Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
Afterglow (Lodestone Trilogy, #2)

Afterglow (Lodestone Trilogy #2)

Pleasure with a price.

A high-profile celebrity wedding in Monaco is the kind of A-list event security specialist Rand Maguire excels at. Everything goes like clockwork, until guests start inexplicably losing all their inhibitions. . . .

Painful secrets from the past.

Rand is no stranger to the effects of Rapture. His chemist father’s attempt at a cure for depression caused R
Mass Market Paperback, 400 pages
Published March 20th 2012 by Pocket Star

To ask other readers questions about Afterglow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Afterglow

Saly
Rating 3.25

To be honest the entire setup of this book was bat-shit crazy and I shouldn't have enjoyed it but it still kind of worked. The hero is a former Hollywood stunts-man turned security business owner who doesn't know what happened at his event, all the guests were drugged and lost all inhibitions, indulging in an orgy. He asks his friend for help and he sends Lodestone agent and his ex fiancee Dakota.

Rand is not happy to see her and has had no contact with her since he broke it off with h
Kathleen
Mar 26, 2012 Kathleen rated it it was amazing
Story Rating 4.5 Stars
Character Rating 4.5 Stars
Romance Level 4 Stars
Heat Level 3.5 Stars
Action Level 5 Stars
Overall Rating 4.5 Stars

The only reason it did not get the full 5 Stars was because some of it was kind of hard to believe. Other than that this book WOWED me and I LOVED IT!

I loved the hero Rand, he was so sexy and capable. I also really like the heroine. She had certain quirky things about her that she put aside to be a kick butt type of heroine.

This book had a bit of a paranormal them
Kristina
Feb 22, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: signed, own
What I Loved
Characters
Rand: Cherry has created another wonderful sexy male character. This guy was a Hollywood stunt double turned security guard business owner for the Hollywood elite. Not only is he good looking but he has a lot of survival fighting and escape skills that help them out along the way.
Dakota aka Dr. North: At first when Rand sees her he has this intense venomous hatred towards her and I didn't like her. It took getting to know her and hearing her side of the story to like her.
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Jan 28, 2012 Cindy ~ SnS Reviews rated it it was amazing
In Cherry’s 2nd book in the Lodestone series we start off with a twist on the don’t drink the Kool-Aid. At a wedding reception someone spikes the champagne with an aphrodisiac and all inhibitions are lost.

Rand Maguire used to be a stuntman and is now security specialist to the stars. His current job was to protect the celebrity guests at a wedding. Well that didn’t turn out so great. He calls Zak from the Lodestone group asking to send someone that can help figure out what and who could have do
Cindy
Apr 09, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed with this follow up to Hush. I was expecting to have my socks blown off but it just didn't happen. If it wasn't for the suspense of a set up, I would not have finished the book. The hero was OK but I didn't really care for the heroine at all. She needed to stand up for herself long before she finally did. The romance and the sex weren't all that good either. Cherry Adiar is capable of so much more, but not this time. :(
Jess
Apr 18, 2012 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog Rating: 3.5/5

“I’m not going to turn feral,” he snapped. “I am feral.”

~Rand

I love when a book starts out with the hero and heroine having a past that didn’t end well at all. Now they’re thrown together in order to stop a drug from being used as a weapon of mass destruction, a drug that Dakota, our heroine, had a hand in creating two years ago. The couple had been engaged and their relationship ended on a horrible note with a lot of hurtful accusatio
Nikki Brandyberry
Oct 09, 2011 Nikki Brandyberry rated it really liked it
Coming back to the one man that broke her heart was something Dakota never thought she’d have to do. When Rand broke up with her over misinterpretations and lies she never could get him to see the light and she long ago gave up trying. Now the drug she helped to engineer has resurfaced with horrible complications. Only Dakota can track it down, whether Rand wants to admit it or not.
All Rand knows is his sexy ex fiance is a liar. One ultimately responsible for his mothers death and the imprisonme
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Kimber's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

The premise of this book had me laughing and intrigued at the same time, and because I enjoyed the first Lodestone story, I jumped at the chance to read this one too. Ms. Adair’s brand of sarcastic humor and edge-of-your-seat adventures will pull you in and keep you there until the very end. I finished the book in a day because I literally could not put it down.

Rand McGuire is in charge of security detail for a Hollywood couple’s wedding and someone has
Andreasoldier
Jul 04, 2013 Andreasoldier rated it it was ok
Somebody gave me a bunch of Adair books and I've been plowing through them. I must say this is better than the earlier books, but suffers from what I think are the same problems.
Adair is a bestseller, and I understand why: hot sex scenes and nonstop action. But I also didn't fall in love with a lot of these books because:
1> It's supposed to be romantic suspense. I don't feel a lot of romance, but there is a truckload and more of lust. Chemistry does not equal romance in my book; every chemica
Sobia
Mar 22, 2012 Sobia rated it liked it
I fell asleep.
I wasn't particularly tired, and generally if I'm really into whatever I'm reading it wouldnt matter if I was exhausted I'd still keep going...so...I fell asleep...then had to push myself to continue.

the first lodestone book was so so good, I liked the characters, the story kept me riveted, and the bad guys were well planned out....and it was the reason i became a Cherry Adair fan...so Afterglow, as a follow up, was a pretty crushing disappointment.

The story wasn't bad, just irri
Lauren
Afterglow
3 Stars

A disappointing sequel that does not live up to the potential established in the first book. Aside from the fact that the heroine, Dakota North, works for Zak Stark, there is no connection between the books, which is unfortunate as it would have established a continuity that is sorely lacking.

The hero, Rand Maguire, is a complete jerk and almost ruins the book. Dakota, however is intelligent and engaging although the fact that she still wants to be with a man who called her a "m
Darcy
I think I would have liked this one better had the main characters not had a past together. Each one was still mired down in how the other wronged them that they had a hard time working together facing this new threat. By the end of the book I was tired of each of them bringing up the past, even when they realized how the other was mislead. I didn't care that they managed to get past it all. Then the big reveal of who was the big bad...well at this point I didn't really care. I wish there had be ...more
Michelle
Jul 31, 2012 Michelle rated it really liked it
Another great suspenseful read in the Lodestone series from Cherry Adair. Afterglow had the right amount of nail biting, gut clenching action that I love to read with a small bit of paranormal thrown in. I loved both characters, Rand and Dakota, and felt so much emotion when Ms. Adair was breaking down the relationship between the two. There were a few tears but only the good kind. Again, there were some deaths that I was pretty bummed about but a Happily Ever After makes it worthwhile. I can’t ...more
Paraphrodite
Mar 27, 2012 Paraphrodite rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
When I began this book, it felt like there should have been a prequel since there was so much history being hinted at between the protagonists. Fortunately, their history was gradually revealed in the book.

At the start though, I thought it was a romantic comedy rather than a romantic suspense - who would think of an aphrodisiac being a weapon of terrorism? But it does get serious very quickly and the finale is suitably climatic and surprising. A good read overall.
Ellen
I'm giving this a 2.5. It started off slow and I was annoyed at the idiocy of both Rand and Dakota. Later you do actually see that both of them had reasons to mistrust and not explain themselves, but people who don't commit to finishing all their books the way I do would dnf it.
Bianca
If you can suspend your disbelief this was a pretty fun read! Completely ridiculous plot, didn't always make sense.... But I still enjoyed reading it! I think it was the great chemistry between the H/h. They were also both very like able! I totally enjoyed it!
Cindi
Sep 06, 2011 Cindi rated it liked it
Not one of my fave Cherry books but I enjoyed.
Nicole
Mar 17, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/03/19/...

I’ve long been a fan of Adair and I know when I pick up one of her books, I’m in for a good read. While I still haven’t gotten the chance to read the first book in this series, Hush, it’s waiting for me on my nook, and I can’t wait to see how this series started off.

Dakota lost everything she had going for her in a short amount of time, her fiance left her, she lost her job and was caught in an explosion that put her int he h
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
Yet again, I had to read a book just to be caught up in a series & It wasn't very good.

So the guy in this book broke up with (totally DUMPED) the girl in this story 2 years prior based on his mother & fathers words without asking her about any of it. All I can say is "WHAT AN ASS!"

She is a chemist who can track people based pn a paranormal gift she has & is sent to Moraco tho help him with a drug slipped in the champaign causing an orgy at a famous couples wedding problem.

Now my sl
Bookaholics
Apr 03, 2012 Bookaholics rated it really liked it
Afterglow by Cherry Adair
Paranormal Romance –March 20th, 2012
4 stars

Afterglow is a hot contemporary romance with lots of excitement and betrayal and a touch of magic! It is the second in her Lodestone adventure series.

Afterglow features strong characters and sizzling hot chemistry! The tension between the main characters is off the charts as the hero begins the book feeling the heroine has betrayed him. When Rand Maguire’s security at a high profile wedding is infiltrated and the guests are drug
MsRomanticReads

I think this was the wildest paranormal romantic suspense I’d ever read. The opening scene was shockingly funny and titilating, and it set the tone for the rest of the story. The plot itself was quite bizarre and implausible. However, I did enjoy the chemistry between the hero and heroine, as well as the adrenaline fueled craziness spanning across several European countries.

Dakota and Rand had sizzling chemistry, but the relationship was strained for the majority of this book due to omissions, l
Brittany
Jul 03, 2013 Brittany rated it really liked it
Where to start…. I am giving this a 4 star rating, the pace was great, excellent twist at the end, and I appreciated the fact that Rand put all his years as a stunt man to good use.

Rand, our hunky hero, son of Paul a pharmaceutical genius, has a rather extreme falling out with Paul’s genius protégée Dakota. Two years later, the same drug Dakota and Paul were working on, rears its ugly head at a wedding.

Slight spoilers

Oddly enough, the notion of Rapture is not that far fetched. It would make se
Melinda
Apr 13, 2013 Melinda rated it really liked it
I liked this book but felt guilty for liking it. I think the premise is original and that's saying a lot from someone who reads as many romance novels as I do. Rapture is such a problematic drug. It's like E taken to it's logical extreme. I spent the whole time reading this wondering what would happen if someone ever created a drug like this. At the same time it's kinda a unique idea. It's soap opera dramaful in that over the top way that was really entertaining.

I confess to figuring out the pl
~ Becs ~
Rand Maguire, a high profile event security specialist is watching his most recent gig go totally FUBAR. He’s supposed to be managing the security for an A List Hollywood celebrity wedding – unfortunately somebody slipped a mickey into the toasting champagne and now the entire guest list is under the influence of an extremely powerful aphrodisiac and are now shagging each left right and centre all over the wedding buffet!

He asks Zak, hero of the first Lodestone book, to send help and he sends Dr
Glittergirl
Apr 03, 2013 Glittergirl rated it really liked it
Rand Maguire, stunt man and now owner of Maguire Security handling the celebrity wedding of the god-daughter of his friend and benefactor Director Seth Creed's Monaco wedding, seeks to find out who dosed the guests with his Dad's failed anti-depression drug turned deadly aprodisac. The guest are horrified to remember they all had wild monkey-sex willy-nilly 12 hours before on Rand's watch. He's ruined without getting to the bottom of who's responsible. His old buddy Zak at Lodestone sends agent ...more
Suzie Weber
Jan 30, 2017 Suzie Weber rated it really liked it
I read Hush which is book 1 in the Lodestone series. I feel this book is worth reading - however this book goes back and forth between a 3 to a 4 to a 5 back to a 3 to a 5. Without giving the story away here is my review.
The book starts with a bizarre story. Enter Dakota, who has the same sixth sense as Zak Stark, from "Hush". (I would have liked more on how Lodestone started but in the end it didn't matter - maybe a novella in between Ms Adair?).
Well Rand and Dakota have a past. And Rand w
Hope Frost
May 09, 2012 Hope Frost rated it liked it

I am intrigued by the abilities the agents of Lodestone have, so I was excited to read Afterglow. I am on the fence about this one. The villain was truthfully one of the worst I have ever read (which is great), I thought I knew who it was, then I was certain that it couldn't be, then it turned out it was. I enjoyed watching the interaction between Dakota and Rand, and when all the secrets finally came out, watching them accept who they are and who they can be together. Dakota had lived through s
Michelle Tempted By Books
This story jumps right into the thick of a mystery and just goes from there. I found the mystery immediately interesting and was intrigued by the characters. It didn't take me too long to figure out the bad guy though. It also didn't take me to long to decide that Rand was either an idiot or an ass. I think I could have liked this story more if Dakota and Rand just talked. I mean honestly they go a VERY long time believing what they want and playing the button lip game. I find that rather frustr ...more
Tina
Mar 09, 2013 Tina rated it it was amazing
Warning this book is a romance, for everyone confused with the concept that means the characters have sex, get mushy and all around have a romping good time. Along the way, welcome to wild adventure and intrigue.

It is no shock that Ms. Adair is one of my fav authors. Her ability to create intense action, steamy romance and kick ass characters keep me turning the page and coming back for more. I realized Relentless was ready to be released so I went back and read the Loadstone books again for fun
Mareli
Jul 16, 2013 Mareli rated it really liked it
Ok. more 3.5 stars.

The story was good until the end. They were in love and then he felt like she betrayed him (not her fault, I'm not into cheating heroines). They met after some years because he did a security job in a wedding and all the hosts were drugged with a drug she worked on during their engagement (she worked with his father). So she is called and the thing begins.

A lot of actions, really good until the end. The end was for me totally bad. Sorry, I found it really unbelievable.
(view s
  • Under Fire (Elite Force, #3)
  • Last Man Standing (Black Ops Inc., #7)
  • If You Know Her (The Ash Trilogy, #3)
  • Face of Danger (The Guardian Angelinos, #3)
  • Too Hot to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #2)
  • Date With a Devil
  • If Looks Could Chill (Passion For Danger, #2)
  • Guardian Ranger (Shadow Agents, #2)
  • A Perfect Storm (Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor, #4)
  • No Regrets (Delta Force, #1)
  • No Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #4)
  • Betrayal (Scarlet Deception #3)
Always an adventurer in life as well as writing, New York Times best-selling author Cherry Adair moved halfway across the globe from Cape Town, South Africa to the United States in her early years to become a interior designer. Now a resident of the Pacific Northwest she shares the award- winning adventures of her fictional T-FLAC counter terrorism operatives with her readers.

Cherry settled in bea
More about Cherry Adair...

Lodestone Trilogy (3 books)
  • Hush (Lodestone Trilogy, #1;  Stark Brothers, #1)
  • Relentless (Lodestone Trilogy #3)