Start by marking “Death from the Woods” as Want to Read:
Death from the Woods

Death from the Woods

Elise Andrioli is back on the case. Having solved the mystery of the child serial killings outside Paris, Elise has become sort of a minor celebrity, selling the rights to her story to a mystery writer named Brigitte Aubert.
Published April 1st 2000 by Welcome Rain Publishers (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Death from the Woods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death from the Woods

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingDeath of a Salesman by Arthur MillerDeathless by Catherynne M. ValenteDeath's Acre by William M. BassDeath of Innocence by Mamie Till-Mobley
Death Titles
115 books — 9 voters
The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeePrince Caspian by C.S. LewisWalden by Henry David Thoreau
Trees
91 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Mike Van Barneveld
Nov 30, 2012 Mike Van Barneveld rated it it was amazing
Wat een geweldig verhaal. Ik had er nog nooit van gehoord en ik zou het wellicht in de boekwinkel links laten liggen, maar dat zou eeuwig zonde zijn geweest. Een echte whodunit maar in een heel eigen jasje. Een vrouw die wegens een aanslag verlamd, blind en stom geworden is speelt een cruciale rol in dit boek. Ze kan niet veel meer maar haar oren zijn nog goed en haar hersenen ook. Omdat ze niet veel kan, merken mensen haar ook niet vaak op. Zodoende krijgt ze mondjesmaat informatie te weten ove ...more
Nele
Jun 06, 2017 Nele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spannender Krimi mit vielen Wendungen. Elise ist seit einem Bombenattentat an den Rollstuhl gefesselt. Sie kann weder sehen, noch ihre Arme bewegen und erfährt von einer grausamen Bestie, die kleine Kinder umbringt. Der Mörder kommt ihr immer näher und versucht sie aus dem Weg zu räumen. Neben den Kindern werden immer mehr Erwachsene umgebracht. Zum Glück beginnt Elise langsam wieder Kontrolle über ihre Finger und Muskeln des Arms zu gewinnen.
Garryvivianne
May 10, 2017 Garryvivianne rated it liked it
Good mystery story, which is done in a different way.....the major sleuth in this is Elise, who has been maimed by a terrorist bomb and is now quadriplegic, and is also blind & mute. An interesting take on the whole story. Her brain is functioning, but what good is that, if she cannot say a thing or express herself? All in all, a very interesting mystery tale.
Ngo Tuan
Cốt truyện tốt, xây dựng tình tiết lạ, kết thúc ổn. Tuy nhiên những tín đồ trinh thám có thể đoán ra thủ phạm ở 1/3 truyện. Ngoài ra nhân vật chính coi như liệt toàn thân trừ bộ não và ngón trỏ trái nhưng được ứng xử và giao tiếp như người bình thường là hơi phi lí. 7 điểm
Koen De Feyter
Mar 11, 2017 Koen De Feyter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wat hou ik toch van de boeken van Brigitte Aubert.
Knap hoe ze nu alweer alles personages op een of andere manier aan elkaar weet te linken !
Kort verhaal, ik wil nog !
Nhi Nguyễn
Một cô gái trẻ tên Elise bị liệt tứ chi sau một vụ khủng bố cùng lúc cướp đi mạng sống của người bạn trai, để cô lại với cuộc đời gắn chặt trên chiếc xe lăn, đồng thời mất cả thị lực và khả năng nói. Tuy nhiên, giao tiếp của cô với thế giới bên ngoài vẫn được duy trì một cách mạnh mẽ nhưng khó khăn, vì thính lực của cô vẫn còn hoạt động tốt.

Một hôm, cô bé Virginie sống ở khu vực gần đó đến gặp Elise khi cô đang chờ nhũ mẫu của mình đi chợ, và cô bé ấy đã tiết lộ cho cô một sự thật hãi hùng về cá
Trish
Aug 04, 2011 Trish rated it really liked it
This was a bestseller in France and I read it when it came out in English ten years ago. Many hundreds of books later, I still remembered the thrill I had at the risk the author had taken with her unusual murder mystery centered around a blind mute quadriplegic. I know, I know, how can this be? It was almost as if the author, sitting around with friends over several bottles of good wine, had taken a bet to see if she could construct a story about the most unusual of protagonists—one that cannot ...more
Sabine
Jan 21, 2014 Sabine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elise Andrioli ist jung, reich und verliebt. Gemeinsam mit ihrem Verlobten Benoit ist sie im Urlaub in Irland, als eine Bombe ihr Glück zerstört. Benoit stirbt bei der Explosion und Elise kehrt schwer verletzt nach Hause zurück. Sie hat überlebt, kann sich aber weder bewegen, noch sprechen oder sehen; sie ist gefangen in ihrem eigenen Körper und geistig voll da - was sie aber niemanden mitteilen kann. Sie wird zuhause von der älteren Yvette gepflegt, die sich sehr um Elise kümmert und auch sehr ...more
Cathy Cole
Death From the Woods was named France's Best Thriller of 1997, and the reason for that, without doubt, is the character of Elise Andrioli. Most people upon hearing that the main character is a blind, mute quadriplegic will probably avoid the book, thinking that it's too depressing. It is not because the story is told by Elise, and we get to see how smart and brave and funny she is. Her sense of humor is what is helping her to survive being unable to communicate with anyone. When Virginie shares ...more
LJ
DEATH FROM THE WOODS (Suspense-France-Cont) – G
Aubert, Brigitte – 1st book
Berkeley Prime Crime, 2005, Paperback
As the result of a car bomb, Elise Andrioli is a blind, mute quadriplegic. Left by her caregiver, Yvette, in a park to wait, Elise is befriended by Virginie, a 7-year-old who tells Elise she knows who is killing young boys. When Elise is attached, she is faced with finding a way to communicate and to stay alive.
*** Translated from French, the story, for the most part, flows well and onl
Maddy
Aug 30, 2013 Maddy added it
Shelves: 2013-reads
RATING: None given
WHY: As a result of being near a car bombing in which her fiancé was killed, Elise Andrioli is now a quadriplegic, mute and blind--but she can hear. While out with her caretaker, she is approached by a little girl, Virginie, who tells her about several murders of young boys. Elise is unsure whether Virginie has witnessed the murders or somehow has a hand in them. V's family and their friends befriend Elise. Soon, Elise herself finds herself in danger, with no way of communicati
Apollonia
Brigitte Aubert is an exceptional writer with amazing ideas. I'm reading her stand-alone novels in the order that they appeare(d). So this is my third experience with her novels. A very good and suspenseful read.
Still, somehow, I didn't like it as much as its predecessors.

Quite an array of different characters whose motivation(s)do not always seem very credible.
The same goes for the narrator and protagonist, a woman who, after an accident, has become completely immobile, blind and speechless.
Kharen
Aug 16, 2011 Kharen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, thrillers
Death from the Woods is a super suspense novel by Brigitte Aubert released on 2001.

I simply admired this book and it sent goosebumps on me.

I read it on my Sophomore Year in College.

The story basically revolves around Elise Andrioli which has been a victim of a bomb shock and has been quadriplegic, mute and blind since then.

Eventually, she meets Virginie, a young mysterious girl.

Virginie whispered her a secret about ‘Death from the Woods’ that she has seen, adding the name of ‘Death’s’ next victi
Elke
Oct 08, 2008 Elke rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels, sold, mystery, review, b4gr
Elise is blind, mute and quadriplegic, being able only to move one finger. Then there is the little girl Virginie who tells her of a mysterious stranger from the woods killing small boys. Soon, Elise is caught in the middle of a murder investigation. But while she struggles to find out who the murderer is, the murderer has already noticed her...

The story is told from the pov of Elise who hears and notices everything around her, while she herself is almost invisible to others, sitting silently in
Sheila
Apr 08, 2016 Sheila rated it really liked it
This award-winning French thriller brings to mind Rear Window. But since the wheel-chair rider is a blind woman who can't speak, and can only move one finger; and since the victims are children whose little bodies pile up quickly; well, right away you see that the stakes are higher and the situation of the protagonist is a tad more challenging.

I usually avoid serial killer stories, but this page-turner was more tolerable because - since the books is written in the first person - you never "see"
Suzanne
Apr 17, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Jennifer, Krista, Emily, Emma
Recommended to Suzanne by: Cara Black (author interview)
Shelves: mysteries
Wow, this book puts the thrill in thriller! The protagnoist is a quadrapalegic who is also blind and mute. People start sharing their secrets with her since she is a safe holding vessel. Some of the scenes were so spooky my skin was crawling. I tried closing my eyes and imagining that I couldn't move and couldn't talk - unnerving.

The thing that held me back from awarding a 5 was that there was a small section in the middle of the book that dragged somewhat. I will definitely check out more of th
Julia
Sep 19, 2008 Julia rated it really liked it
I read this book in one jet lagged night, with the effect that I didn't end up being able to turn off the light because I was scared. I mean, a blind, mute quadriplegic??? Involved in a murder mystery? It doesn't get much scarier than that. Just think... You're there, blind, mute, unable to move, and with the distinct feeling that you're not alone.... Aaaahhh! This does sound a little exaggerated, maybe that's why it only gets fours stars of me, but this was a one of a kind page turner that left ...more
Genna
Sep 12, 2015 Genna rated it really liked it
Read this a while ago but remember I read it quickly, it is a real page turner and what a fantastic idea! Is there any idea more creepy than a blind, mute quadraplegic experiencing threats and intimidation from a deranged killer whilst being unable to identify them, draw attention to them or avoid their attention - I lent my copy to several colleagues once I'd read it and we all agreed it was a bloody good read!
Holly Lindquist
This French whodunit features an unusual heroine, a mute and blind woman confined to a wheelchair. By chance, she hears a disturbing tale from a neighborhood girl about who may be behind some recent child murders in the area. Now she has to try to solve the mystery, with the added challenges of her extreme disability and the fact that the killer may be on to her. Fortunately she's very clever and very brave...
Patricia Vocat
Jan 21, 2014 Patricia Vocat rated it liked it
J’ai bien aimé lire ce livre, car il y a un rôle principal inhabituel. L'héroïne est Elise Andrioli, aveugle, muette et tétraplégique. C'est génial de lire l'histoire du point de vue de quelqu'un qui ne peut pas parler, mais tout le monde lui fait de la confiance, de quelqu'un qui ne peut pas se défendre quand l'assassin s’approche.
Cependant, l'histoire était facile à deviner et elle est un tantinet exagérée.
Celinethesword
Oct 17, 2011 Celinethesword rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
un tres bon polar, a ne pas lire lorsqu'on est seule chez soi. J'ai adoré et j'ai eu du mal a le poser pendant les deux jours qu'on duré ma lecture. C'est bien écrit et surtout on ne s'attend pas du tout au déroulement du livre. L'auteur a pris un sacré risque en faisant tenir le role principale a une tetraplégique et c'est assez intéressant de voir comment l'intrigue se déroule autour de ce caractere hors du commun. Un tres bon livre a lire au coin du feu avec une bonne tasse de thé .
Babs
Mar 06, 2012 Babs rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Good book until the ending. Wasn't real happy with how it played out but not sure what the alternative could have been. The story was told by a young lady who'd been hit by a car bomb and left a quadraplegic, unable to move, see, or speak. I liked how the author was able to make this part so interesting. It worked.
Vanlilith
Jun 29, 2012 Vanlilith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, finished, on, 8, 2011, may
Thriller classico nella forma ma innovativo nei contenuti - Non pensavo che un thriller con protagonista una donna tetraplegica potesse essere cos� avvincente e allo stesso tempo ricco di ironia. La Aubert dimostra maestria nello scrivere un giallo rispettandone i canoni classici e allo stesso tempo creando dei personaggi e dele situazioni uniche che reggono e non annoiano n� intristiscono.
Guna
Oct 31, 2011 Guna rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
This book was the winner of France's Grand Prix de Litterature Policiere. It is told from the point of view of a girl who survived a terrorist bomb, but as blind, mute, and quadriplegic. She gets involved in serial killings and mutilations of young children, and is subjected to terror herself. This was an absorbing mystery.
Feb 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, mystery
I loved this book so much. I became completely wrapped up in the plot and characters that I stayed up till 3am when I had to get up for work at 6:30am. I couldn't help it, I fell in love with Elise and her amazing inner narrative. I'm not a fan of mysteries or really thrillers but this pulled me in from the start.
Ricardo Santos
Jun 21, 2015 Ricardo Santos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine uma detetive que tenta solucionar um crime sendo paralítica, cega e muda. A protagonista deste romance entrou no meu hall dos melhores detetives de todos os tempos. Além disso, o livro tem muito humor e uma trama de tirar o fôlego.
Jan 12, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Decent thriller. The main character, a blind & mute quadripalegic, was interesting. I really didn't care for any of the other characters. While I was surprised at the identity of the murderer, the book was just ok.
Dennis Fischman
Oct 03, 2010 Dennis Fischman rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
The story is told from a very unusual perspective. That both makes the book intriguing and makes the plot hard to follow. Plus, more and more I find I don't like books about serial killers as much as other mysteries.
Ann Tonks
On one level, this novel is based on a tenuous premise - experiencing murders and their solving through a blind, mute, quadraplegic. On another level, it's fascinating to experience her "locked in" world. It is a surprisingly good read.
Colleen
Sep 30, 2010 Colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I think the author was very talented to make an interesting mystery where the protagonist could neither see nor speak nor move. I would have given it higher grades for its ingeniousness but found the ending to be somewhat of a let down
  • Sans feu ni lieu (Les Evangélistes, #3)
  • The Key
  • Reprobate: A Katla Novel (Amsterdam Assassin, #1)
  • Broken (1Night Stand, #100)
  • Love in Plain Sight (Senses and Sensations, #2)
  • Heartsight
  • See You Soon
  • L'Anneau de Moebius
  • Blind Impulse
  • The Abigail Affair
  • Le 5e règne
  • Out of Light into Darkness (Darkness and Light, #1)
  • Rocky Mountain Match (Rocky Mountain, #1)
  • Knight of Pleasure (Smuggler's Cove, #1)
  • The Chairman
  • Holiday Confessions
  • Kill Chain (Evan Delaney, #5)
  • A Heart to Mend

“Gekkenhuizen worden gebouwd om mensen die er niet opgesloten zitten te laten geloven dat ze nog bij hun verstand zijn. (Michel Eyquem de Montaigne)” 2 likes