Start by marking “A Diet to Die For: A Claire Malloy Mystery” as Want to Read:
A Diet to Die For: A Claire Malloy Mystery

A Diet to Die For: A Claire Malloy Mystery (Claire Malloy #5)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  670 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Claire Malloy believes there is just one thing better than chocolate...and it's not jumping a round in an aerobics class. Nonetheless, she gets roped into accompanying a chubby heiress named Maribeth to Faberville, Arkansas's hottest new fitness center. Personally, Claire thinks the best way for Maribeth to lose 160 unnecessary pounds would be to dump her abusive husband. ...more
Published January 7th 2002 by Minotaur Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about A Diet to Die For, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Diet to Die For

Jenn
Claire Malloy believes there is just one thing better than chocolate...and it's not jumping around in an aerobics class. Nonetheless, she gets roped into accompanying a chubby heiress named Maribeth to Farberville, Arkansas's hottest new fitness center. Personally, Claire thinks the best way for Maribeth to lose 160 unnecessary pounfs would be to dump her abusive husband. But while Claire's teenage daughter Caron unseccessfully tries every fad diet she can find (as long as it doesn't mean cuttin ...more
C-shaw
This is been on my shelves for years, and I finally took it down and started it. So far I do not care for the protagonist, Claire Malloy, a somewhat insipid bookstore owner, nor her bratty teenaged daughter.
* * * * *
My opinion didn't change. Don't care for the "Claire Malloy" mystery series.
Karen
Love the series and the humor
Mary Newcomb
The local diet center seems to be the center of some disturbing activity. When not being exasperated by her daughter (and her daughter's sidekick), Claire figures it all out.

Kyrie
I really had empathy for Lt. Peter Rosen. After all her other adventures, one would think Claire Molloy would know better than to try to figure out stuff on her own. In this story, she was definitely on a par with her daughter. Also, I think I would have strangled her friend Joanie in the first quarter of the story. I guess that'll be a murder mystery for another time.
Sandy Weir
Another fun read with Mrs. Malloy. I am trying to just read all of the series as I enjoy the conversations and reflections (a little spicy irony just what I need with all of this snow).
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Not as good as her Maggody series. Read this in 1998.
Lesley
Enjoyed the college town/bookstore setting, and the diet-related theme running through the story. I like the suthor's use of humor as well.
Daelith
Not one of the better one in this series for me. I still like Claire's witty comebacks though.
Shirley
Continuing on my Joan Hess marathon. Another good one.
Patti
May 15, 2012 Patti rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cozy Book Lovers
This is the 5th book in the Claire Malloy Series.
Carla Suzanne
Not my favorite in the series but a good read.
Susan Smith
Jul 08, 2007 Susan Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers with teenage daughters
An easy to carry easy to read vacation book.
Jeanette
This was an ok book.
Connie Crain
Connie Crain marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Betty
Betty added it
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Sharon Cumings
Sharon Cumings marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Kwilsontcworks.Net
Kwilsontcworks.Net marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • Engaged to Die (Death on Demand, #14)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • A Groom with a View (Jane Jeffry, #11)
  • Murder Gets A Life (Southern Sisters Mystery, #5)
  • Mariner's Compass (Benni Harper, #6)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)