Kindred Hearts

Kindred Hearts

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  868 ratings  ·  146 reviews
Charming rascal Tristan Northwood seems to have it all: an ancient name, a noble inheritance, a lovely wife, and a son he adores. Women love him, men admire him, and it seems there is nothing he can’t do, whether it’s seducing a society wife or winning a carriage race. Little does Society suspect that the name means nothing to him, the fortune is in his father’s controllin...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Dreamspinner

To ask other readers questions about Kindred Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kindred Hearts

Kaje Harper
4.5 stars Tristan is a young man rebelling against his wealthy and disapproving father by playing the libertine, until his father insists he marry. And after meeting his fiancée, Tristan realizes that she is restful and practical, and he goes through with the wedding. His wife is undemanding, calm and not romantic, and after a while she gives him a son who becomes the light of his life. And yet his days and nights feel empty and pointless. Until he meets her brother Charles, a cavalry officer an...more
Audrey
I just have to say it: This one shot its load a little too early and left me unfulfilled at the finish.

I know I know, that was terrible, but it was too good to pass up.

I don't really have the juice to write a full blown review right now. Full review (maybe) will follow.

For now, let me work on a stream of consciousness "review"ish thing...

1) It's a m/m historical set in the Regency. Ding ding ding! Sold!
2) There's lots of emo stuff from both Hs at different points in the story.
3) The relationship...more
Lauraadriana
This book was just fine writing from beginning to end...perfect historical fiction, well researched, the vernacular was just right, and the love story was beyond moving.

It's 1810 and Tristan Northwood is going through life as the stereotypical spoiled young English aristocrat having fun, womanizing, drinking too much and indulging as much as he can.

In an effort to sober him up (in more ways then one) his father marries him off to Charlotte Mountjoy, a young woman from a good family with financia...more
Steelwhisper
this is 2.5*, but I can't bring myself to give this a full 3, and thus I guess I am one of the odd ones out. I decided to be honest and hope this won't end in some retribution-fest again either.

The 2.5 stars are for the--mostly--good to very good research effort which went into this book. I appreciate that, though there were niggles, like for instance the anachronisms in some of the medical information.

But excellent research isn't enough to outbalance everything. There were simply far too many...more
Bookwatcher
Why this book deserve 5 stars?
* The story is VERY good, and I never got bored or tired. It´s hard to write a historical romance, so thumbs up to the writer!
* The drama (even if I´ll talk more about it later) was perfect. I like the romance, with dramatic moments, and again more romance... it´s perfect, the balance between both.
* It´s a long book, but I dare you to read and search for useless parts. Every chapter is needed, to tell Tris and Charles love story.

Why I gave 3, not 5, stars?
For a pers...more
Heather C
Beautiful. So wonderfully beautiful.

While I'm not a huge fan of historical romance, I do appreciate one that touches my heart. And this one was just perfect!! A little heartbreaking at times but ends with a wonderful HEA. Plus, I adored all the characters...especially the wife.

Definitely one of the best m/m historical romances that I've ever read.
MandyM
4.5 stars. Complex and endearing characters coupled with an obviously well researched Napoleonic setting puts this M/M historical romance a cut above the rest.
Edina Rose
I don't know what to say. This book is brilliant, perfect, wonderful. I was not sure about reading it because one hero is married with children and the other hero is his wife's twin brother! It is not a threesome, so I thought it would be some disgusting cheating and I will not like the characters.
I was sooooo wrong! It is a wonderful book, full of love, and nothing disgusting about the heroes or their love at all. Their love and love story is of the purest kind. Ah, my romantic heart! Money ve...more
Kate McMurray
I was in the mood for a good historical, and this one really delivered. In some ways, it's a traditional Regency, with a rakish hero and the associated angst involving fancy parties and rich peerage problems. There's even a clever woman. Our hero Tristan has pissed off his father one time too many and the consequence is that his father forces him to marry a spinster named Charlotte, who turns out to be quite delightful. Tristan isn't actually a particularly good rake; he never deflowers the inno...more
Shelby
Fan-Freakin-Tastic!!! Wow, oh wow! This is by far the best historical M/M romance I’ve read. I absolutely adored everything about this book and just plain devoured it. I’m a history buff first and foremost and loved the addition of Napoleon’s nasty little second campaign. I completely adored Charlie, Trist, and Lottie as well. If I’m going to have some female parts in my M/M well I guess Lottie is the best option out there. ☺

Tristan Northwood lost his mother when he was young when they all came...more
Erastes

This has the feeling of a "proper" Regency, and as a comparison, if you liked the Regency work of Lee Rowan, G.S Wiley, or Bonnie Dee and Summer Devon you'll definitely like this. It has all the elements in place for a "nice" traditional Regency - an arranged marriage, a brooding rake, clubs and ballrooms etc etc--but it doesn't stick to the rules for too long thank goodness!

That's not to say it isn't flawed, but in this case the good definitely outweighs any faults--I can't go so far to say "th...more
Karen K
This was a fabulous read and since I don't usually get so hooked on historicals, that's saying a lot. I love the author's writing style and her characters always just pop for me and stay with me for a long time. Tristan was no different, whether portrayed as a sexually-heartless rogue or the sweet, needy man he was on the inside, I absolutely fell for him right off the bat.

The story worked well, the descriptions taking me right into the characters' heads and scenes and the characters themselves...more
LenaLena
Started out really good. I like Regency and its rules and this was one of the better ones. Tristan was very likable and his desperation well done. And then, about 40% percent in, the MCs get together and turn into the worst kind of sniveling women. You could fill a swimming pool with the manly tears spilled in this book! Of course, we're spending about half the book nursing one or the other back to health, too. And yes, that includes the Grand Declarations of Love for Convalescing Characters. Si...more
Snowtulip
Jul 10, 2011 Snowtulip rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snowtulip by: Pushubuu
Shelves: m-m
The storytelling, the history, the character development...all just perfect. I was riveted to the story and could not break myself away from learning more about Tris and his insecurities and his growth in developing a sense of self.

This is such a great heartfelt love story between Tristan and Charles. We see the full range of emotions with these two men and the people in their lives. A wonderful read!
BlackTulip
Reviewed By BlackTulip for Booked Up

Well, I will simply say that this is how every m/m Historical romance should be ... what a treat!

How many times have I thought or said in my reviews that there was definitely a lack of background, well in this book there is no such thing!

The wealth of details, the observation of the human mind, and its reaction when faced with very specific situations give much depth to the story and seem utterly genuine. Page after page you are given a piece of the puzzle of...more
Lexi Ander
I have now said this twice in as many days...I don't like many historical romances. I read earlier this week Bitterwood and really enjoyed it so I turned around and tackled Kindred Hearts.

I have to say that I would eagerly read any historical written by Rowan Speedwell.

The plot, the setting, the characters was written with such meticulous care giving the story depth and life. The knowledge and care for the period that this was written in is evident on every page. The story is touching, engaging...more
Katharina
Oh wow, this was exceptional for me. What a read! I love good historical novels and this one fit that bill perfectly. The writing was awesome, the setting felt authentic, the characters were interesting, likeable, but far from perfect, the implementation of real historical events was fantastic, the romance heartwarming and electrifying, and the drama level - that could have become totally soap-opera-worthy if you look at the character constellation - was appropriate and never too over-the-top.

I...more
Antonella
- My major pet peeve: MCs = grown men often weepy and sobbing
- Charles is too perfect, Tristan too self-deprecating all the time
- Lenghty (500 pages): I understand the need to embed the plot in the historical time, but I would have appreciated less... history ;-). But maybe this is because although I do read historicals, they are not my favorite genre.

It will be a satisfying read if you don't mind points like the ones I've listed above. I liked Charlotte (her first meeting with Tristan! LOL!) an...more
Kira

This book is pure perfection. Everything from characters to plot to the correct language for the time... It takes you to the time period and keeps you there and leaves you smiling.

I really loved this. The writing is so good and you learn to love all the characters so much... The best thing, I think, were the emotions. I felt SO MUCH while reading this, everything from laughing my butt off to actually tearing up a few times.

Just, lovely. Read it.
LdDurham
This started off pretty strongly. It could get a bit repetitious at times, but I was fully engaged and invested in the story. However, the moment the two protagonists began their love affair, it seemed to devolve into a soppy melodrama. A repetitive melodrama. Both men suddenly became criers with Tristan leading the waterworks race. There were several places in which both of them rhapsodize about their love for the other, to each other or to anyone else, it seemed. The story dragged out, as well...more
Dee Wy
Beautifully written historical. I'll watch for more titles by this author.
Kukko
Main Characters: Charles Edward Mountjoy (Charlie) and Tristan Northwood (Tris)
Key Themes: GFY, In the Closet, War, Self Abuse, H/C, Men with Children, Mental Illness
Location: UK (London) & Continental Europe (Brussels)

An engrossing story of the love that develops between two men, of similar social status, whose love lives should have been dictated by their position in society, but who instead find a way to be together, albeit hard-won.

The story takes place at the time of Napoleon Bonaparte...more
thelastaerie
When I started to read this story, I didn't expect it to be such an epic. Not that it spans over a particularly long period of time, but the transformation of the characters, the war, the drama they go through, all in epic level.

The story is historical in every sense - the romance itself and the background it sets against, vivid details that captures the time and mood.

At times, I was a bit impatient with the main protagonist, he's too stubborn for his own good, but in the end, he won me over an...more
Ally
If you enjoy a historical story and prefer it to be slash romance, Kindred Hearts is a good pick - mainly because there aren't many books of the same genres that manage to deliver that same authentic historical feel as this one has.
One minor complaint I have is that the majority of the book actually focus on Tristan, the protagonist, to the point that it almost feels like a memoir of Tristan Northwood of his adult life rather than a romantic story. But the good thing is that he's a likable chara...more
Jayhjay
I originally bought this book b/c I loved Finding Zach so much, even though I don't read a lot of m/m historicals. But I am happy to say I loved Kindred Hearts and would definitely recommend it.

As much as it is a love story, this book is also really a story of Tristan and personal growth towards happiness throughout the book. When we first meet Tristan he is deeply unhappy, acting out and misbehaving but feeling miserable about himself all the while. Tristan lost his mother as a child and he and...more
Tristan's only goal in life is to annoy his Father. As much as possible. Easily done by excessive drinking, womanizing, and crazy life threatening dares. He and his wife Lottie are much happier as friends, only coming together long enough to create the required two children before she can retire to the country and he can stay in town and continue his dangerous ways.

As the years go by, Tristan sinks deeper and deeper into unhappiness, his only joy being his son. Then, Lottie's brother, the hands...more
Elisa Rolle
Definitely a good Regency romance, maybe a little too much focused on the war and diplomatic issue of the time (but that is probably justified by one of the hero being an officer) but nevertheless very romantic.

What is probably the best achievement of the author is to make me like Charlotte “Lottie”, a supporting character that I was ready to hate even before starting the book; true, in the blurb they presented her like a supporter of Charlie and Tristan’s relationship, she is Charlie’s sister a...more
Valérie
Lectrices de M/M ou pas vous ne pourrez qu'apprécier cette romance magnifique, plus de 400 pages d'une fresque historique riche et passionnante qui s'écoule sur une trentaine d'années sous l'ère Napoléonienne. L'auteure a fait un travail remarquable sur le contexte historique en faisant des recherches minutieuses non seulement sur la situation politique à cette époque mais également sur la vision de la société sur l'homosexualité. Elle nous offre une histoire d'amour superbe avec deux magnifique...more
Jaya
SlashReaders: Tristan Northwood is a true gentleman and an aristocrat who hasn't found anything to truly give his life purpose. Over the first part of the novel we go from childhood to the point where Tristan realizes just how empty his life is. Then Charles comes into the picture and things only get more complicated as Tristan realizes what he's really wanted over the course of his drinking, playboy years. For his part Charles is equally taken with Tristan though he has since gotten over many o...more
Beck
What a nice surprise it was to actually download a full-sized book from the kindle store (when will Amazon start standardising the listed length of kindle books by word count?????). As I prefer a longer read, I was already humming in pleasure as I started to read & I wasn't disappointed either. This was a lovely romance. Lots of time spent laying the foundation story lines. Lots of time spent on character development. As far as I could tell, the author actually spent some time to ensure hist...more
  • Bonds of Earth
  • The Only Gold
  • Seducing Stephen
  • Counterpoint: Dylan's Story
  • The Desire for Dearborne
  • His Client (His Client, #1)
  • Bless Us With Content
  • Well Traveled (Gideon and Jedediah, #1)
  • A Midwinter Prince
  • A Private Gentleman
  • Captain's Surrender
  • Lover's Knot
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • The Christmas Wager
  • According To Hoyle
  • Beguiled (Enlightenment, #2)
  • The Gentleman's Keeper
An unrepentant biblioholic, Rowan Speedwell spends half her time pretending to be a law librarian, half her time pretending to be a database manager, half her time pretending to be a fifteenth-century Aragonese noblewoman, half her time… wait a minute… hmm. Well, one thing she doesn't pretend to be is good at math. She is good at pretending, though.

In her copious spare time (hah) she does needlewo...more
More about Rowan Speedwell...
Finding Zach Love, Like Water Illumination Hopes and Fears Angel Voices

“You can't always choose the people you work with, but you can choose to learn how to deal with them. They are all different." - Charles” 6 likes
“Life is the death of all of us.' - Tristan” 5 likes