Start by marking “Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike toWinning Your First Race” as Want to Read:

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  171 ratings  ·  35 reviews
More women than ever before are jumping on their saddles to enjoy one of the fastest growing sports in the country-and to improve cardiovascular fitness, control their weight, and liven up their social lives. At the same time, cycling remains very much a "man's sport," an intimidating world that can be difficult for women to navigate.

Now celebrity spokeswoman Selene Yeage
Published March 4th 2008 by NAL Trade

To ask other readers questions about Every Woman's Guide to Cycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Woman's Guide to Cycling

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
There isn't really too much out there about cycling that is written for a beginner (or a newginner - someone who once knew how to ride and worries she has forgotten everything after 25 years...). This one really is a complete guide. I suspect it will be more complete than many want as it is geared for all but has quite lengthy sections of bike training plans. These are very helpful if you choose to race. I'd of actually like to have seen something more attuned to a triathlon cyclist schedule jus ...more
Leah Hortin
This is a pretty good basic guide to cycling. It's written in lament terms and she has a sense of humor so it makes it easy to get through but I don't think it could/should ever replace hands on learning and using your local bike gurus as resources.

I found the first third of the book to be especially helpful - basics about different bike styles, how to figure out what bike is right for you, the basic components, essential gear.

The middle third was mostly training plans that I skipped nearly com
Eli
Every bicycling book has something useful, this one included. Yeager covers some issues that even many "beginner" books skip, assuming everyone already knows how to ride a bike: a section at the beginning on more effective pedaling, dealing with hills, and obstacle avoidance; and one at the end on proper ride nutrition are epecially helpful.

However, I am not this book's target audience, as I realized the first time (of many) that Yeager referred to cycling as "your sport". Cycling is not my "spo
Robin
Nov 18, 2009 Robin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who enjoy cycling
Recommended to Robin by: read a review online
This is a book that I ordered for my library's collection and checked out so I could read it myself. Those who know me are aware of my resurgence of interest in cycling. Of course, a few months back I would have said I like riding my bike but since that makes folks ask if I ride a Harley, I'll stick to the lingo (and the library catalog term) and say I enjoy cycling. This is all because I have a wonderful man in my life who fixed my old mountain bike which hadn't been ridden in at least five yea ...more
CJ
In my new hobby as a cyclist, I'm reading everything I can get my hands about riding (because if it's worth doing - it's worth reading about). This book is a quick read and is definitely for the beginner. I had already decided on which bike I wanted and ordered it, so those sections were interesting, but not particularly helpful for me.

There's a great section on training plans if you're planning on racing or riding for a purpose, along with alternate exercises to keep everything else fit while
Scottsdale Public Library
If you haven’t been on a bike since grade school or the most cycling you’ve done since then has consisted of a week-long devotion to become the next Lance Armstrong only to succumb to the routine of daily responsibilities the following week, then this book is for you. Selene Yeager guides you on everything from deciding on what type of bicycle is best for your needs to clothing to equipment to nutrition. Reading the book, it’s like she is right there talking to you. There are lots of good inform ...more
Alannah Davis
When I started riding a bike this year for the first time since I was a kid, the first chapters of this book were exactly what I needed. You know that old cliche that says you never forget how to ride a bike? Well, that's a big, fat lie. So the thorough, detailed explanations for everything from operating the brakes to dealing with bike shops, are extremely helpful.

Since I personally am interested only in recreational riding, I didn't get as much use from the chapters dealing with racing. Still
Kathy
My interest in cycling is purely recreational/fitness (not racing) and there was plenty of good info in this book for riders like me. She covers riding techniques, training plans for various goals, some basic physiology as it relates to nutrition, exercise and weight loss, things to look for in frames and components based on the type of riding you want to do, bike fit, and basic repairs and maintenance. It's presented with humor and plenty of good reasons to just get out there an ride. Probably ...more
Shannon
Excellent resource for women cyclist with solid information. Yes, there is a lot of basic information that is covered elsewhere, but Selene Yeager goes into depth in a lot of areas as well. This is suitable for any beginner to somewhat experienced cyclist. Right away I applied what I learned about my pedal stroke, and my cadence and overall speed/ability has greatly improved. I'm anxious to try one of the detailed training plans. I consider this to be a must-read.
I thought this was an excellent guide to help a novice start to cycle. I love spin, but wanted to be outdoors more and found this book extremely helpful.
Elaine Nelson
Not really what I need in a cycling book. Definitely oriented towards "serious" road riding/racing, with the largest portion of the book dedicated to creating a training regimen.

However: I did get some useful tips on turning better (like Zoolander, I have a hard time turning left), climbing hills, and pedaling more effectively. I'm getting some nice speed bursts now with not that much more effort.
Jan 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: cycling novices
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bicycling Magazine
Shelves: fitness
Great if you have no idea about what getting into biking involves from an adult recreational and health perspective. If you've been riding for a year or more there's very little new information to be had.
Danielle
Great basics
Ali6
Excellent book! I'm new to cycling and interested in doing long-distance rides. This book covers everything from buying a new bike, safety, repairs and maintenance, nutrition, training, developing a training schedule (the book includes these already) and much more. Well written and good for anyone from a novice to professional.
Jessie Mihalik
I really enjoyed this book. I'm new to cycling (unless you count riding a bike as a kid), and this book covered the basics and beyond. I really enjoyed Ms. Yeager's writing style; it was accessible and enthusiastic and lacked any condescension or snobbery. She loves cycling and it shows.
Tracy
Jun 04, 2011 Tracy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginning cyclists
Shelves: 2011, non-fiction, cycling
I wish I had come across this book when I first started riding- would have saved me a lot of trial and error. Still, a lot of good tips for training on and off the bike. And I liked the section on the benefits of cycling such as relieving depression, PMS, and fatigue- so true.
Kerry
I essentially read this book in one sitting from cover to cover. I just bought a Specialized "Ruby" and then thought, hmm, is this the right bike for me? It turns out it is, and now I know why. Yay. This is a great book geared towards the novice. Was very pleased.
Wendy
Good book, easy to read and understand. Doesn't get too technical but doesn't talk down to you either. I learned some new tricks that will hopefully help me become stronger, faster, and meaner on the bike. (Leaner wouldn't be a bad thing either).
Kathy
Covers very basic information to training for a century or time trial. It is written by a woman and she deals with issues that we might have as women that is missing in books written by men. Has very good training plans.
I wish I had read this book some time ago, yet it's obviously the right time for me to read it. It's given me great ideas on pushing my cycling a bit further, and I'm interested to try some of the training tips.
Kristin Redmond
This gave a great insight to a beginner rider, trying to learn to ride a bit more seriously. She has a great writing style and is clearly very knowledgeable. She talks about all aspects of riding.
Cassi Campbell
Great for the beginning cycler, like me. It seems to appeal to all levels, though. Great info on everything from buying a bike and gear to form to nutrition. Easy to read and practical
Anastasia
This book is great for everybody - beginner, shopper, commuter, etc. & is helping me decide on my ideal cadence & "dream bike". I've renewed it from the library about four times now.
Aimee
Great book for learning the ins and outs of cycling. Very helpful to read before visiting a bike shop to learn the lingo. Also includes great training plans for any event.
Lisa
Don't have much to compare to and still more of a leisurely biker than a cyclist but good info and will keep and refer back to as I continue to improve
Michelle
Designed for novices, and sort of written like a fitness magazine article. But I picked up a few new tidbits. Contains some good training plans too.
Tamarin Dowling
I found this very educational and extremely helpful...this is the type of book that you can read over and over - and keep learning more!
Heidi Mcjunkin
Very well written and inspiring book. I successfully used the plans in this books to complete a metric century this summer.
Amy
Very basic info and more for the complete novice, but this has a couple of good training plans for a Century or 40K TT.
Christine
Lots of good info on both road and mountain biking. Training plans, riding tips--a great book to start with.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • Bust DIY Guide to Life: Making Your Way Through Every Day
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
  • The Life & Love of Trees
  • The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running
  • Always on: How the Iphone Unlocked the Anything-Anytime-Anywhere Future--And Locked Us in
  • The Eco Chick Guide to Life: How to Be Fabulously Green
  • Volunteer: A Traveller's Guide to Making a Difference Around
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • The Body Sculpting Bible for Women: The Way to Physical Perfection
  • Train Like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity
  • Stirring It Up: How to Make Money and Save the World
  • Eco Craft: Recycle Recraft Restyle
  • Eat, Sleep, Ride
  • The Live Earth Global Warming Survival Handbook: 77 Essential Skills To Stop Climate Change
Ride Your Way Lean: The Ultimate Plan for Burning Fat and Getting Fit on a Bike The Women's Health Big Book of 15-Minute Workouts: A Leaner, Sexier, Healthier You--In 15 Minutes a Day! The Men's Health Big Book of 15-Minute Workouts: A Leaner, Stronger Body--in 15 Minutes a Day! The Doctors Book of Food Remedies: The Latest Findings on the Power of Food to Treat and Prevent Health Problems - From Aging and Diabetes to Ulcers and Yeast Infections Get Fast!: A Complete Guide to Gaining Speed Wherever You Ride