Start by marking “Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike toWinning Your First Ra ce” as Want to Read:

More women than ever before are jumping on their saddles to enjoy one of the fastest growing sports in the country-and to improve cardiovascular fitness, control their weight, and liven up their social lives. At the same time, cycling remains very much a "man's sport," an intimidating world that can be difficult for women to navigate.

Now celebrity spokeswoman Selene Yeag
Published March 4th 2008 by NAL

To ask other readers questions about Every Woman's Guide to Cycling, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Woman's Guide to Cycling

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
Feb 11, 2014 Jo * Smut-Dickted * rated it really liked it
There isn't really too much out there about cycling that is written for a beginner (or a newginner - someone who once knew how to ride and worries she has forgotten everything after 25 years...). This one really is a complete guide. I suspect it will be more complete than many want as it is geared for all but has quite lengthy sections of bike training plans. These are very helpful if you choose to race. I'd of actually like to have seen something more attuned to a triathlon cyclist schedule jus ...more
Leah Hortin
Oct 29, 2012 Leah Hortin rated it liked it
This is a pretty good basic guide to cycling. It's written in lament terms and she has a sense of humor so it makes it easy to get through but I don't think it could/should ever replace hands on learning and using your local bike gurus as resources.

I found the first third of the book to be especially helpful - basics about different bike styles, how to figure out what bike is right for you, the basic components, essential gear.

The middle third was mostly training plans that I skipped nearly com
Eli
Jun 13, 2011 Eli rated it liked it
Every bicycling book has something useful, this one included. Yeager covers some issues that even many "beginner" books skip, assuming everyone already knows how to ride a bike: a section at the beginning on more effective pedaling, dealing with hills, and obstacle avoidance; and one at the end on proper ride nutrition are epecially helpful.

However, I am not this book's target audience, as I realized the first time (of many) that Yeager referred to cycling as "your sport". Cycling is not my "spo
Robin
Nov 18, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those who enjoy cycling
Recommended to Robin by: read a review online
This is a book that I ordered for my library's collection and checked out so I could read it myself. Those who know me are aware of my resurgence of interest in cycling. Of course, a few months back I would have said I like riding my bike but since that makes folks ask if I ride a Harley, I'll stick to the lingo (and the library catalog term) and say I enjoy cycling. This is all because I have a wonderful man in my life who fixed my old mountain bike which hadn't been ridden in at least five yea ...more
Rita
Jan 30, 2015 Rita rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed
great for fitness/racing information. accessible and practical tips for any other kind of cycling or every day biking. the last straw was "leave the most of the maintenance to the boys," when I had picked up this book for a better understanding of how my bike works.
Cami
Mar 21, 2016 Cami rated it really liked it
Shelves: cycling
My questions on what to look for in buying a bike and how to train and compete were answered in this fun reading guide. It covers pretty much everything you'd need to know.
This left me wanting to dive head first into the world of cycling.
CJ
May 09, 2010 CJ rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
In my new hobby as a cyclist, I'm reading everything I can get my hands about riding (because if it's worth doing - it's worth reading about). This book is a quick read and is definitely for the beginner. I had already decided on which bike I wanted and ordered it, so those sections were interesting, but not particularly helpful for me.

There's a great section on training plans if you're planning on racing or riding for a purpose, along with alternate exercises to keep everything else fit while
Scottsdale Public Library
If you haven’t been on a bike since grade school or the most cycling you’ve done since then has consisted of a week-long devotion to become the next Lance Armstrong only to succumb to the routine of daily responsibilities the following week, then this book is for you. Selene Yeager guides you on everything from deciding on what type of bicycle is best for your needs to clothing to equipment to nutrition. Reading the book, it’s like she is right there talking to you. There are lots of good inform ...more
Alannah Davis
Dec 06, 2013 Alannah Davis rated it really liked it
When I started riding a bike this year for the first time since I was a kid, the first chapters of this book were exactly what I needed. You know that old cliche that says you never forget how to ride a bike? Well, that's a big, fat lie. So the thorough, detailed explanations for everything from operating the brakes to dealing with bike shops, are extremely helpful.

Since I personally am interested only in recreational riding, I didn't get as much use from the chapters dealing with racing. Still
Kathy
Feb 17, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
My interest in cycling is purely recreational/fitness (not racing) and there was plenty of good info in this book for riders like me. She covers riding techniques, training plans for various goals, some basic physiology as it relates to nutrition, exercise and weight loss, things to look for in frames and components based on the type of riding you want to do, bike fit, and basic repairs and maintenance. It's presented with humor and plenty of good reasons to just get out there an ride. Probably ...more
Toni
May 06, 2015 Toni rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone, especialy women who cycle
Very engaging read with lots of useful tips
Shannon
Excellent resource for women cyclist with solid information. Yes, there is a lot of basic information that is covered elsewhere, but Selene Yeager goes into depth in a lot of areas as well. This is suitable for any beginner to somewhat experienced cyclist. Right away I applied what I learned about my pedal stroke, and my cadence and overall speed/ability has greatly improved. I'm anxious to try one of the detailed training plans. I consider this to be a must-read.
Jan 16, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I thought this was an excellent guide to help a novice start to cycle. I love spin, but wanted to be outdoors more and found this book extremely helpful.
Elaine Nelson
Aug 07, 2008 Elaine Nelson rated it did not like it
Not really what I need in a cycling book. Definitely oriented towards "serious" road riding/racing, with the largest portion of the book dedicated to creating a training regimen.

However: I did get some useful tips on turning better (like Zoolander, I have a hard time turning left), climbing hills, and pedaling more effectively. I'm getting some nice speed bursts now with not that much more effort.
Jan 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Recommends it for: cycling novices
Recommended to Jennifer by: Bicycling Magazine
Shelves: fitness
Great if you have no idea about what getting into biking involves from an adult recreational and health perspective. If you've been riding for a year or more there's very little new information to be had.
Stacy
Apr 21, 2015 Stacy rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
As a novice, I found this to be informative and quite readable.
Danielle
Jun 23, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it
Great basics
Ali6
May 27, 2009 Ali6 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! I'm new to cycling and interested in doing long-distance rides. This book covers everything from buying a new bike, safety, repairs and maintenance, nutrition, training, developing a training schedule (the book includes these already) and much more. Well written and good for anyone from a novice to professional.
Jessie
Feb 01, 2012 Jessie rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-paperback
I really enjoyed this book. I'm new to cycling (unless you count riding a bike as a kid), and this book covered the basics and beyond. I really enjoyed Ms. Yeager's writing style; it was accessible and enthusiastic and lacked any condescension or snobbery. She loves cycling and it shows.
Tracy
Jun 04, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Beginning cyclists
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011, cycling
I wish I had come across this book when I first started riding- would have saved me a lot of trial and error. Still, a lot of good tips for training on and off the bike. And I liked the section on the benefits of cycling such as relieving depression, PMS, and fatigue- so true.
Kerry
Jun 22, 2014 Kerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
I essentially read this book in one sitting from cover to cover. I just bought a Specialized "Ruby" and then thought, hmm, is this the right bike for me? It turns out it is, and now I know why. Yay. This is a great book geared towards the novice. Was very pleased.
Wendy
Mar 28, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
Good book, easy to read and understand. Doesn't get too technical but doesn't talk down to you either. I learned some new tricks that will hopefully help me become stronger, faster, and meaner on the bike. (Leaner wouldn't be a bad thing either).
Kathy
Nov 16, 2009 Kathy rated it liked it
Covers very basic information to training for a century or time trial. It is written by a woman and she deals with issues that we might have as women that is missing in books written by men. Has very good training plans.
May 16, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I wish I had read this book some time ago, yet it's obviously the right time for me to read it. It's given me great ideas on pushing my cycling a bit further, and I'm interested to try some of the training tips.
Kristin R
Aug 15, 2009 Kristin R rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This gave a great insight to a beginner rider, trying to learn to ride a bit more seriously. She has a great writing style and is clearly very knowledgeable. She talks about all aspects of riding.
Cassi Campbell
Sep 27, 2008 Cassi Campbell rated it really liked it
Great for the beginning cycler, like me. It seems to appeal to all levels, though. Great info on everything from buying a bike and gear to form to nutrition. Easy to read and practical
Anastasia
Aug 25, 2011 Anastasia rated it really liked it
This book is great for everybody - beginner, shopper, commuter, etc. & is helping me decide on my ideal cadence & "dream bike". I've renewed it from the library about four times now.
Aimee
Jan 03, 2014 Aimee rated it really liked it
Great book for learning the ins and outs of cycling. Very helpful to read before visiting a bike shop to learn the lingo. Also includes great training plans for any event.
Lisa
Nov 14, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
Don't have much to compare to and still more of a leisurely biker than a cyclist but good info and will keep and refer back to as I continue to improve
Michelle
Aug 19, 2012 Michelle rated it liked it
Designed for novices, and sort of written like a fitness magazine article. But I picked up a few new tidbits. Contains some good training plans too.
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • The Crafter's Guide to Taking Great Photos: The Best Techniques for Showcasing Your Handmade Creations
  • Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling
  • Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180
  • The Cyclist's Training Bible
  • The Bible in 90 Days: Cover to Cover in 12 Pages a Day (New International Version)
  • Just Ride: A Radically Practical Guide to Riding Your Bike
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
  • Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer
  • Praying the Names of Jesus: A Daily Guide
  • The Vitamin D Revolution: How the Power of This Amazing Vitamin Can Change Your Life
  • The Mayo Clinic Diabetes Diet
  • Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities
  • When Gadgets Betray Us: The Dark Side of Our Infatuation With New Technologies
  • Crochet Saved My Life: The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet
  • The Mayan Calendar and the Transformation of Consciousness
  • Runner's World Complete Book of Beginning Running
  • Train Like a Mother: How to Get Across Any Finish Line - and Not Lose Your Family, Job, or Sanity