Start by marking “Have a New Teenager by Friday: How to Establish Boundaries, Gain Respect & Turn Problem Behaviors Around in 5 Days” as Want to Read:

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Popular psychologist and bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman shows parents how to establish boundaries, gain respect, and turn problem behaviors around with their teenager in five days.
Published September 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Have a New Teenager by Friday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have a New Teenager by Friday

Amy
Very disappointing...Leman's solutions for typical teenage complexities seemed simplistic and formulatic (I know that's not a word). It was surprising how little research and Biblical grounding was utilized in this book and I found the personal stories to be overused and often contradicting good examples of parenting instruction. Several times in the book he mentions using the silent treatment as "punishment" to your children for disobeying or not making correct decisions. I believe this to be a...more
Misty
This advice is a bit old fashioned for my taste. Quick points: Dr. Leman suggests modesty in clothing for girls, which is fine. But it's advised in such a way so that the girls don't turn the boys on. Umm, it's not my daughter's responsibility to keep your son from getting a little boner. I also have sons and I'd like to think my job as their mother is to raise them to be respectful of ALL women, regardless of how they are dressed. It would have been nice to hear him mention this.

Another point i...more
Patrick
There is nothing new or groundbreaking in this book, but it is nevertheless a useful guide to surviving and thriving with teenagers. Unlike some of the other authors in the "self help" genre, Dr. Leman never sounds pedantic. And while you may not have a "new" teenager by Friday, you can't go wrong following his five-point advice for parenting, which is supplemented after the "Friday" chapter by an alphabetized list of 75 common questions and his answers to them.

I especially appreciated the remin...more
Stacie Carroll
So I've decided my new reading plan will be one book for entertainment/enjoyment and one book for education/self-improvement/enlightenment/etc. I selected Dr. Lehman's New Teenager book because I enjoyed him on Oprah & when I catch him on the radio he is always interesting. My teen is actually a great kid who gives us almost no trouble & based on input from friends I should be considered crazy for any of the areas I might label as trouble. She isn't the most forthcoming with information,...more
Tina Klinesmith
I’m not entirely sure why I bought this book because, hey, my kids are perfect. RIGHT! I love my children and they are “good kids” but I would never, ever call them “perfect.” With three kids from 12-16, it’s never quiet and we have plenty of teen angst to go around. In fact, the only reason I picked up this book and bumped it to the top of my “To-Read” list was due to issues I couldn’t stand any longer with my 13 yr old son.

The promise of taking a moody, mouthy, disrespectful boy to a winning c...more
Stephanie Schmidt
First, I must disclose I was a recipient of this book via Giveaways! Thank you very much, it couldn't have come at a better time!
Yes, I am one of those parents who woke up one day and didn't recognize the 15 year old, seldom-speaking, cave-dwelling, food-inhaling giant who replaced the adorable child who used to hang on my every word. At this point, our conversations (what few we do have) are not productive, nor enjoyable. Requests to do chores are met with arguments; actually, requests to do an...more
Patrice Sartor
Closer to 4.5 stars.

The book starts with Monday, so when I was on Thursday's suggestions but was less than 1/3 of the way through the book, I wondered what was up. I discovered that the first third consists of the Monday-Friday plan. The latter portion is an alphabetical index of specific issues, with a couple of paragraphs addressing each one. Anorexia, lazy, mouthy, and more are covered in an easy-to-find format.

I've got two boys, 14 and 12. I think they are amazing and wonderful, yet they don...more
Rachel Niemeyer
The title may tick off your teenager like it did mine, but the content focuses more on changing the way you parent than on changing your teen.

This book is filled with great tips on showing grace, mercy, and love to your teen (specifically 11 - 19), while at the same time being the authoritative parent every kid needs.

Kevin Leman is a Christian psychologist. He's funny, and uses humor as a parenting tool. If you have a problem with humor, or like to be Mr. Serious Jones, you may not enjoy his ap...more
Lisa
I'm blessed with a really great teenager, but there are tons of insights in this book by Dr. Leman for despairing or blessed parents!

The biggest insight I gleaned is around parents letting go and letting their kids take responsibility for their actions. Creative tools and techniques are provided to guide you as a parent. Great read!
Julie
Loved the advice on improving my soon to be teenagers attitude, and for specific situations that he outlines like acne, parties, sibling rivalry, etc. A bit of the advice was vague and could have been more specific, but if you read the whole book you see his philosphy and can interpret for each situation. I love advocates of real world consequences for teens.
H
Books about parenting teens aren't full of a-has... They all say pretty much the same thing - be the adult, decide what the important things are, stick to your "no," keep a sense of humor, let kids fail but be there to love them when they do, etc. This book's author has some of that same advice. He's a little conservative for my views, but his advice is sound. I read these now and then just to reinforce myself and give myself that boost and reminder of what to do right, and try to correct my wro...more
Jerrel
Agree that there was nothing new here BUT when one day you wake up with a teenager and feel like it is the day of a final and you forgot everything you ever learned, this book is the path to making it through the test! I do recommend it.
Cara
Some good stuff in this book, but most of it is out of my control as a non-parent (not giving in to temper tantrums, not letting the kid grow up thinking he's the center of the universe, insisting on personal responsibility, making everyone in the family contribute, not protecting kids from the consequences of their actions, making your home the preferred hangout for your kids and their friends, etc.).

For me, the main takeaways seem to be: listening, not reinforcing bad behavior by reacting, an...more
Fastener Gal
I've always enjoyed Dr. Leman's views after reading his Birth Order book. I would rate this 4.5 stars only because the content for having a new teenager by Friday is only half of the book; the other half is frequently asked topics. If the title encompassed both parts or the material was more cohesive I'd feel differently, because the information is updated and pertinent. But the lay-out was a bit of an issue for me. Silly, but true.
Jason Joy
Kevin Leman is one of the best Christian psychologists around. This book is a valuable resource for any parent dealing with teens. The book shows you simple things you can begin doing to make a difference in the life of your teenager in a week's time. Over half of the book is Dr. Leman speaking on different topics from A-Z that might come up in the life of a teenager. It is almost like having a counselor sit down and answer your questions one by one. I plan to use this topical section over and o...more
Monica
This book gave me hope that I can have a good relationship with my oldest when he leaves the nest. Dr. Leman gives practical advice that makes sense and never with condemnation. I've realized some of my behaviors are the problem and I can change. When I do, some of the negative behaviors from my teenager should also stop as they are just a reaction to me.

I can already feel a difference in my attitude and my confidence as a parent.
Vicky Kern
I'm listening to this book on Audible and I'm getting a lot out of it. I agree with many things - don't over schedule, family first, school second, friends third, care more about character than grades, be encouraging, don't be a friend, be a parent, and STAY CALM. The stories about the hormone raging people are funny and these are trying years so the humor is appreciated!! I've already changed my behavior and outlook.
Nannette Rader
Full of common sense, which sounds very simplistic, but isn't so much when you throw all the emotions into it. He really reminds parents to look at their own behaviors and habits before trying to control their kids'. Dr. Leman is so funny and real. I wish he were my own dad growing up. I reread parts of this book all the time and I'm always glad when I do. Makes me a better parent, for sure.
Leslie Mesmer
I liked how the author told you how to handle something, gave an example and then gave a statement sent by someone who tried the tip.
The book was written in very simple terms and very quick and easy to jump right in and try. Although I don't believe a life of habits can be changed in 5 days I do believe the common sense can actually be accomplished longterm.
Lori Cox
My teen daughter rolled her eyes when she saw the title, "Seriously mom?!" It is full of good advice: yes,some obvious ones too,but it helps to be reminded even of the obvious, as living with a teen can make me forget the basics! I think anyone raising one of these creatures can benefit from this book, it isn't of the fantasy genre!
Mary
Great to take away some good ideas on how to handle your teenager. Take what applies and leave the rest but good insight and I find it helpful to pick up a parenting book every now and then and should do so more often just to keep my resolve and know that nothing is new under the sun... it's all been done and happened before.
Amy
I liked this book, not because of the promised time frame but because he talks about how parental attitudes effect their teenagers responses. Teens get a bad rap and that can be sad, with a sense of humor and the ability to pick your battles both parents and teens can survive. He has some great advice, worth the time for sure.
Wendi
Pretty good simple and important things to do to develop a better relationship with your teen. Take kid worried about acne to a skin advisor or pharmacist at local store, get to know your kids' friends and freimds' parents, don't stick around to argue with your kid, and more. The arguing part is most helpful for me.
Judy Clemens
Even if you have fantastic kids (like I do) this book is helpful, entertaining, and affirming of parenting skills. From advice on very serious matters to those not so huge, this book is great for reminding you what's really important when it comes to parenting kids from 11-19 years old!
Lisa Shirley
This book is amazing, it helps you understand the way your teenager thinks rather than what you need to change. It focuses more on forms of communication rather than what we as parents have done to rune the next generation.

Another amazing book Dr Kevin Leman
Andrea Strickland
A must read for every Christian parent of teenagers, no matter if they are 12 or 17. Dr. Leman shares some very sound and logical advise that most of us need to be reminded of. Sometimes the truth hurts, but in a good way. Especially in the long term.
Nancy
I didn't want a new teenager, but just some tips. This book provided some new insights and understanding of teenager behavior and the process of guiding to adulthood. I found it very helpful and would highly recommend to any parent of a teenager.
Adriane
I have read this book and am in the process of reading it for a second time, this time with my husband. This has practical advice that promises real results. This book is about empowering the kids and reliving stress for parents.
Jason
It felt like Kevin Leman has made a living recently by repackaging earlier books. Some of the more shocking advice becomes clear when I realized that it was based on how his saintly mother raised the difficult teenager he was.
Lisa
I was a struggling mom with a 14 yr old pusging every one of my button..\I seen Dr. Kevin Leman in person he was speaking at a local church..after reading this book it has helped me relate more to my son and we argue much less
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • Parenting by the Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • 5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • Named By God: Overcoming Your Past, Transforming Your Present, Embracing Your Future
  • How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • All Moms Go to Heaven
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Positive Discipline: The First Three Years: From Infant to Toddler--Laying the Foundation for Raising a Capable, Confident Child
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Change Your Questions, Change Your Life: 10 Powerful Tools for Life and Work
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • Leading Little Ones to God: A Child's Book of Bible Teachings
Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally recognized psychologist, author, and media personality. He was the first to popularize Adlerian psychological concepts in the United States, which are based on birth-order and family dynamics. Dr. Leman holds Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Arizona.

Dr. Leman is the founder and president of "Couples of P...more
More about Kevin Leman...
Sheet Music: Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage Birth Order Book, The: Why You Are the Way You Are Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days Making Children Mind without Losing Yours The Way of the Shepherd: 7 Ancient Secrets to Managing Productive People