Start by marking “Have a New Teenager by Friday: How to Establish Boundaries, Gain Respect & Turn Problem Behaviors Around in 5 Days” as Want to Read:

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  542 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Popular psychologist and bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman shows parents how to establish boundaries, gain respect, and turn problem behaviors around with their teenager in five days.
Published September 1st 2011 by Fleming H. Revell Company

To ask other readers questions about Have a New Teenager by Friday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Have a New Teenager by Friday

Amy
Jun 26, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, parenting
Very disappointing...Leman's solutions for typical teenage complexities seemed simplistic and formulatic (I know that's not a word). It was surprising how little research and Biblical grounding was utilized in this book and I found the personal stories to be overused and often contradicting good examples of parenting instruction. Several times in the book he mentions using the silent treatment as "punishment" to your children for disobeying or not making correct decisions. I believe this to be a ...more
Cindy Rollins
Apr 30, 2015 Cindy Rollins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, audiobooks
This is NOT the kind of book I normally would read. I found it while browsing my library's audio selections on my phone. I would not even have taken a second look but I happened to be having a problem with one of my children and decided to put the book on my listen list.

Turns out I found the book helpful. Have I mentioned my amazing abilities in enabling? This book helped me visualize ways of being courageous in my relationships.

Of course, I did not like everything and found some of it as trit
JoNel
Jun 29, 2015 JoNel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was OK. I disagree with the author's stereotypical gender roles. I also didn't care for the old "girls must protect boys from their raging hormones" schtick. I'm tired of men blaming men's bad behavior on women. In all other areas the author advocates for holding the teenager accountable for his/her actions. Why not here?
Dawn
Dec 02, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has solid advice. As to whether you will find it helpful or not, it depends on where in the parenting journey you are. Well-read parents will have heard this advice before. Those not so well-versed in parenting techniques will find it full of revelations. Can you have a new teenager by Friday? I don't think so. As with all parenting techniques, the parents have to learn them and be consistent executing them. This takes more practice than just a few days. But the ideas are easily execut ...more
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Realistic, but tells me what I should do, but not How to do it. Yep, great, I know my kid needs to be responsible. That's why I am reading your book. But HOW do I do that? His overall consequence is "the keys to the car are missing. ". That doesn't help with my 11 year old, but I would like for her to learn to respect others before she can drive. So basically, this book drives home what you already know, but doesn't give any useful advice for HOW. Yep, keep the lines of communication open. Thank ...more
Adyuga
Apr 11, 2016 Adyuga rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! My wife loved it! Though I could not finish it in one single reading, every time I drank from it it gave me hope and inspiration. The part with real life approaches is great. It helped me to calm down do not over react and make solid thought through decisions. It's the best teenage book I've read. And I confess that applying principles from this book really helped us a lot!!!
But more than that, as I said you are feeling joy while reading it, it's the it supposed to be with gr
Misty
May 20, 2014 Misty rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This advice is a bit old fashioned for my taste. Quick points: Dr. Leman suggests modesty in clothing for girls, which is fine. But it's advised in such a way so that the girls don't turn the boys on. Umm, it's not my daughter's responsibility to keep your son from getting a little boner. I also have sons and I'd like to think my job as their mother is to raise them to be respectful of ALL women, regardless of how they are dressed. It would have been nice to hear him mention this.

Another point i
Patrick
Mar 21, 2012 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing new or groundbreaking in this book, but it is nevertheless a useful guide to surviving and thriving with teenagers. Unlike some of the other authors in the "self help" genre, Dr. Leman never sounds pedantic. And while you may not have a "new" teenager by Friday, you can't go wrong following his five-point advice for parenting, which is supplemented after the "Friday" chapter by an alphabetized list of 75 common questions and his answers to them.

I especially appreciated the remin
Stacie Carroll
So I've decided my new reading plan will be one book for entertainment/enjoyment and one book for education/self-improvement/enlightenment/etc. I selected Dr. Lehman's New Teenager book because I enjoyed him on Oprah & when I catch him on the radio he is always interesting. My teen is actually a great kid who gives us almost no trouble & based on input from friends I should be considered crazy for any of the areas I might label as trouble. She isn't the most forthcoming with information, ...more
Tina Klinesmith
Nov 15, 2012 Tina Klinesmith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m not entirely sure why I bought this book because, hey, my kids are perfect. RIGHT! I love my children and they are “good kids” but I would never, ever call them “perfect.” With three kids from 12-16, it’s never quiet and we have plenty of teen angst to go around. In fact, the only reason I picked up this book and bumped it to the top of my “To-Read” list was due to issues I couldn’t stand any longer with my 13 yr old son.

The promise of taking a moody, mouthy, disrespectful boy to a winning c
Stephanie Schmidt
Jul 21, 2013 Stephanie Schmidt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
First, I must disclose I was a recipient of this book via Giveaways! Thank you very much, it couldn't have come at a better time!
Yes, I am one of those parents who woke up one day and didn't recognize the 15 year old, seldom-speaking, cave-dwelling, food-inhaling giant who replaced the adorable child who used to hang on my every word. At this point, our conversations (what few we do have) are not productive, nor enjoyable. Requests to do chores are met with arguments; actually, requests to do an
Patrice Sartor
Closer to 4.5 stars.

The book starts with Monday, so when I was on Thursday's suggestions but was less than 1/3 of the way through the book, I wondered what was up. I discovered that the first third consists of the Monday-Friday plan. The latter portion is an alphabetical index of specific issues, with a couple of paragraphs addressing each one. Anorexia, lazy, mouthy, and more are covered in an easy-to-find format.

I've got two boys, 14 and 12. I think they are amazing and wonderful, yet they don
Lynnea
Mar 10, 2016 Lynnea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have shared much of Leman's opinion about homework but still great reminders. and some conviction too! Some bits and pieces from that section (p 196):
"But the reality is that their homework is their homework. I already went through school and did mine."
"So let me ask you this: why are you involved in your son or daughter's homework?
Is it because you believe your child has to have all A's to be successful? Or you need to get some psychological jollies yourself out of people patting you on the b
Rachel Niemeyer
Jul 15, 2013 Rachel Niemeyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The title may tick off your teenager like it did mine, but the content focuses more on changing the way you parent than on changing your teen.

This book is filled with great tips on showing grace, mercy, and love to your teen (specifically 11 - 19), while at the same time being the authoritative parent every kid needs.

Kevin Leman is a Christian psychologist. He's funny, and uses humor as a parenting tool. If you have a problem with humor, or like to be Mr. Serious Jones, you may not enjoy his ap
Lisa
Apr 08, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm blessed with a really great teenager, but there are tons of insights in this book by Dr. Leman for despairing or blessed parents!

The biggest insight I gleaned is around parents letting go and letting their kids take responsibility for their actions. Creative tools and techniques are provided to guide you as a parent. Great read!
Julie
Feb 24, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the advice on improving my soon to be teenagers attitude, and for specific situations that he outlines like acne, parties, sibling rivalry, etc. A bit of the advice was vague and could have been more specific, but if you read the whole book you see his philosphy and can interpret for each situation. I love advocates of real world consequences for teens.
Mario Streger
Nov 18, 2015 Mario Streger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had already read “Have a New Kid by Friday” and this book does not really bring much new information, as I thought it would. But the concept of dealing with the child/kid is really good and works. I tried it at home, some things changed around here (not exactly until Friday) and my kid is more respectful now than before.
H
Jan 05, 2014 H rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books about parenting teens aren't full of a-has... They all say pretty much the same thing - be the adult, decide what the important things are, stick to your "no," keep a sense of humor, let kids fail but be there to love them when they do, etc. This book's author has some of that same advice. He's a little conservative for my views, but his advice is sound. I read these now and then just to reinforce myself and give myself that boost and reminder of what to do right, and try to correct my wro ...more
Shari Macdonald
Recommended to me by a friend. Some solid advice about setting boundaries and following through, a little corny, didn't address some of the issues I most wanted advice about, such as how to manage/monitor/limit phones and other screen time.
Jerrel
Jun 10, 2014 Jerrel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agree that there was nothing new here BUT when one day you wake up with a teenager and feel like it is the day of a final and you forgot everything you ever learned, this book is the path to making it through the test! I do recommend it.
Cara
Nov 06, 2012 Cara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life, kindle
Some good stuff in this book, but most of it is out of my control as a non-parent (not giving in to temper tantrums, not letting the kid grow up thinking he's the center of the universe, insisting on personal responsibility, making everyone in the family contribute, not protecting kids from the consequences of their actions, making your home the preferred hangout for your kids and their friends, etc.).

For me, the main takeaways seem to be: listening, not reinforcing bad behavior by reacting, an
Mishu Soreng
May 18, 2015 Mishu Soreng rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It has started working for me

Thank you Dr K Leman . I have just started applying what I read
Although it appears to be a long road but I think I know my way.
Rebecca
Jun 11, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not really a fan of Kevin Leman. He is cocky and proud.
I liked some of his ideas.
It was good food for thought...but I hate the "tone" of his writing.
Matthew Damico
Aug 09, 2016 Matthew Damico rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really just pointed out flaws in my parenting lol! Helped me to take ownership of mistakes and guided me on working on them !
Heather
Apr 14, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it's so simple yet hard to follow through. very good ideas. I have found his ideas to work :) glad I found this book!
Shannon Rammler
Jul 15, 2015 Shannon Rammler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical tips for raising difficult teenagers -I took lots of notes!
Katrina
Jun 06, 2015 Katrina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could have done without the religion and the sexism, but there were still some good ideas here. I'll be testing this out with Coltrane next week.
Fastener Gal
Jun 06, 2014 Fastener Gal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Dr. Leman's views after reading his Birth Order book. I would rate this 4.5 stars only because the content for having a new teenager by Friday is only half of the book; the other half is frequently asked topics. If the title encompassed both parts or the material was more cohesive I'd feel differently, because the information is updated and pertinent. But the lay-out was a bit of an issue for me. Silly, but true.
Jason Grubbs
Jan 28, 2013 Jason Grubbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Kevin Leman is one of the best Christian psychologists around. This book is a valuable resource for any parent dealing with teens. The book shows you simple things you can begin doing to make a difference in the life of your teenager in a week's time. Over half of the book is Dr. Leman speaking on different topics from A-Z that might come up in the life of a teenager. It is almost like having a counselor sit down and answer your questions one by one. I plan to use this topical section over and o ...more
Chelle Folts
Nov 10, 2014 Chelle Folts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good common sense. Nice to be reminded that a calm parent is a more effective parent!
  • Parenting is Heart Work
  • Boundaries with Teens: When to Say Yes, How to Say No
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Parenting Children with ADHD: 10 Lessons That Medicine Cannot Teach
  • The ADHD Effect on Marriage: Understand and Rebuild Your Relationship in Six Steps
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas for Everyday Discipline
  • Parenting Teens with Love and Logic: Preparing Adolescents for Resposible Adulthood
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • When Mother Was Eleven-Foot-Four: A Christmas Memory
  • Story of Jonah
  • Travail and Triumph (The Russians, #3)
  • 50 Signs of the Times and the Second Coming
  • How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Every Age
  • How to Really Love Your Teenager
  • All Moms Go to Heaven
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally recognized psychologist, author, and media personality. He was the first to popularize Adlerian psychological concepts in the United States, which are based on birth-order and family dynamics. Dr. Leman holds Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Arizona.

Dr. Leman is the founder and president of "Couples of P
More about Kevin Leman...