Start by marking “Blitz und Pam” as Want to Read:
Blitz und Pam

Blitz und Pam (The Black Stallion #18)

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,750 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Noch immer sind Alec und sein schwarzer Hengst Blitz die besten Freunde. Alec ist mittlerweile ein berühmter Jockey, der auf der Hopeful-Farm Rennpferde züchtet, doch kein Pferd ist ihm so ans Herz gewachsen wie der wunderbare Araber.

Aber da taucht in Alecs Leben noch jemand auf, der seine Zuneigung gewinnt: die Pferdepflegerin Pam, die die Welt mit so ganz anderen Augen s
Published 1989 by Wein Tosa (first published 1971)

To ask other readers questions about Blitz und Pam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blitz und Pam

Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
All I really remember is how extremely angry it made me as a 13 or 14 year old that Alec had this great thing going with his horse, the Black, and some random girl shows up and screws it all up.
description
Jessica Timmons
Apr 25, 2014 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The girl in this book is somewhat like me, however I could never really see myself being like her. With her hippie kinda of ways. However I know how she felt when she has to prove herself to a bunch of shovenistic men who believe a women's place is in the home not on a horse. I myself have had to go through that with my father in a way. But once he saw what my Arabian stallion Zsa Zsa and I could do he changed his mind very quickly. I also changed the minds of his horse friends. By not using a b ...more
Jessica
Aug 30, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one always made me kind of sad, even as a kid. Alec finally meets a girl, and Henry is not happy about it. Then the girl leaves. In about 20 books, this is the closest Alec ever comes to having a relationship. Just because he owns a horse farm doesn't mean he can't have love!
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 Wendy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses-fiction
This is kind of a spoiler, so if you don't want to be spoiled even the slightest bit, look away. Pam, the titular 'girl', is based on Farley's real-life daughter. It was apparently his way of consoling himself, because she died in real life.

She doesn't die in this book. But it's still crappy.

Why? Pam is a Mary Sue. She's perfect and wonderful and Alec is obsessed with her from the moment she arrives. And, of course, Henry doesn't like her, which makes him the bad guy, naturally.

Oh, and did I men
Gloria Piper
May 14, 2014 Gloria Piper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review- The Black Stallion and the Girl, Walter Farley

Years ago, when I was in junior high, I would visit the library and read every Walter Farley book available. And then I moved on in life, unaware he continued to write many more books in the Black Stallion Series. Perhaps it was nostalgia that guided me to pick up this book, one of his last.

The Black is a famous racehorse now, officially belonging to Hopeful Farm but still a one-man horse. Only Alec Ramsay can ride him. Meanwhile Alec has tr
Mirrani
Nov 13, 2014 Mirrani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a special meaning to fans of Walter Farley and that is that the book is written as a way to remember his daughter, who died early in her life. It is meant to share her love of horses and her free spirit with the readers of the series.

For the most part it shows a very dated version of racing, as it should. Women in Alec's time are just starting to find their way in the racing world and are not at all welcome around most stables, certainly not on the backs of horses going down the ho
Kensie Linton
Dec 16, 2014 Kensie Linton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The main character is Alec and Pam. Pam is a new girl employee that Alec hired. Alec rides the Black in races and trains horses at Hopeful Farm when he is't racing. The setting of this book takes place at Hopeful Farm and at racetracks. The conflict in this book is when Alec hires Pam, and Henry doesn't like girls getting into the horse business. So when Alec told Henry that he hired a girl, Henry said that he had to fire her. Alec went back to the farm to tell Pam that she had to leave, but whi ...more
Ashley
Probably my favorite of them all =).
Kenzie
Dec 10, 2008 Kenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very very very good book
Jared Dunn
Apr 08, 2010 Jared Dunn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Clare O'Beara
Also published as The Black Stallion and the Girl (Paperback)
This book could be read alone but complements the series well.

Alec Ramsay is still racing his Arabian stallion The Black to earn prizemoney while he gets a breeding stable established. He is advised by his surrogate father Henry Dailey, an elderly horse trainer. In need of extra help, Alec hires a girl called Pam Athene with fine blonde hair who really has a way with horses. Even the temperamental Black gets on with her.

A fair bit of t
Clare O'Beara
Also published as The Black Stallion and the Stranger (Paperback)
This book could be read alone but complements the series well.

A fair bit
Tanja Berg
Sep 09, 2012 Tanja Berg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses, feminism, kindle
I wish I would have read this when I was 12 years old. I would have felt a deep affinity with Pam - her love for freedom and horses. Her strength and her vulnerability. I would have learned a few things about equality as well. This is a book I would have read ten, twenty times, had I come across it twenty years ago. I stopped re-reading horse books (or any books for that matter) at the age of 14-15, that was when I started reading adult novels. Not that I ever really grew out of children's books ...more
Melody
Sep 06, 2012 Melody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
9/2012 Farley's love song to his vanished daughter is so poignant, so breathtakingly sad underneath, that it's maybe the most meaningful of all the series. Farley pokes at what (one assumes) were some of the arguments he and his daughter had, and attempts to resolve them in her favor. I want, now, to read an in-depth biography of Farley and see how closely my speculations match up to reality. I love the proto-hippie, beginning feminist tone of this book, and the clunky Alec falling in love. It's ...more
Lila
Apr 25, 2015 Lila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
my daughter's book.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Walter Farley's daughter Pam died sometime during this string of the last few books in the series and I think it gives some indication as why they are so bad and have so little heart. This one is rather maudlin in that a free-spirited girl (named Pam, of course) comes to work at Hopeful Farm. There is a love story for Alec, Pam's tragic love for a young racehorse, and Pam's tragic end (much like Farley's daughter). Just sappy to the extreme.
Jesse Haubert
April Helms
Jan 16, 2008 April Helms rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adults (11+) and adults
Shelves: childrens, fiction
I read most, if not all, of the Walter Farley Black Stallion books as a child (I was absolutely nuts about horses.) I don't remember a lot about many of them, but this one stuck with me. Alec is disqualified from racing for a period, and meets a girl who also can ride well -- including the Black. I remember this story was a lot darker overall than the other books, and that the ending was not "happily ever after."
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, adventure

My Rating System:
Kaitlyn
Aug 16, 2014 Kaitlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-favorites
I didn't really like the romance, it was annoying and cheesy which felt unreal to me, but I think it's interesting how Walter Farley was trying to describe his sadness for the loss of his daughter through another perspective.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Kate
This was my favorite book in the series. I'm not sure why, but I remember reading it over and over. The first chapter is pretty much burned into my memory. Although the one I read had a very different cover.
Lori
Jul 31, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Jutta
Dec 16, 2014 Jutta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's interesting to realize this wasn't so much about horses and racing, but about the changing of generations.the hippies and the woman's movement.
Victoria
Jun 11, 2008 Victoria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book focuses not mainly on the black stallion at all. It's about his master and a girl who fall in love. Barely about the black stallion.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Julia
May 17, 2012 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book!!! i finished this book faster than any other book. i couldn't put down.
Robin
May 05, 2009 Robin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, horses
Read this once -- only once -- and have never even desired to reread!
Jessica
May 13, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)