Start by marking “But No Elephants” as Want to Read:
But No Elephants

But No Elephants

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  746 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Grandma Tildy finally agrees to take an unwanted elephant into her home, but soon regrets her decision.
Published 1979 by Parents Magazine Press

African Safari with Ted and Raymond by Rhonda PattonThe Story of Babar by Jean de BrunhoffAn Elephant Is On My House by Othen Donald Dale CummingsHorton Hears a Who! by Dr. SeussElmer by David McKee
Best Childrens Book About Elephants
7th out of 67 books — 93 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsLittle House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
My Favorite Childhood books
108th out of 451 books — 311 voters

More lists with this book...

Mona
My parents received this book through a mailing subscription list (it was like Netflix but with kids' books, back in the 1980s), and it became an all-time favorite book in our house. My older sister loved it, I loved it, my younger brother loved it.

My dad says he still remembers how vigorously we all three would shake our heads at the repeated line of the story, "But no elephants!" He said he can't wait to read it to the future grandkids. Good thing we kept it!
Maggie Stiefvater
I know this isn't a new book, but it is still hands-down my three-year-old's favorite bedtime story. He will listen to this book back to back night after night. In between the old woman who takes on every animal but an elephant, the pet salesman who tries to foist the elephant upon her, and the various ways the animals help her, there's lots of opportunities for funny voices and sound effects. Definitely a keeper.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favor
Melanie
An old classic about Grandma Tildy who enjoys living all alone. One day a salesman stops by and asks her if she would like a bird. Grandma Tildy accepts the bird but ensures that the salesman understands that no elephants are welcome. This continues until Grandma Tildy has a bird, turtle and a beaver. The house is pretty full when the salesman stops by for the last time and only has the elephant left. Grandma Tildy wants nothing to do with the elephant, so he sits out in the cold, miserable unti ...more
Megan
I used to love this book as a child. This litle old lady buys just about every type of animal from a salesman. Every time she refuses to buy the elephant though. Eventually the salesman just leaves the elephant on her front door. It rains and snows and finally she lets him come in. He turns out to be a real help to her...and well its just a charming book :)
Rachel
This has been my favorite book scince I was really little I give it 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000 stars out of 5 READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carrie Stephens
One of my ALL time favorite childhood books.
Rochelley
One of my favorites as a child.
Caranna
One of my favorite stories as a child now lives again as a favorite of my children.

Grandma Tildy lives all alone until the pet man comes and asks if she would like to buy a pet. Grandma agrees and finds that she enjoys the company.
The pet man returns and every time he does Grandma answers, "Very well. But No Elephants."
Every new addition is able to help Granmda in it's own way. The canary sings, the beaver cuts logs, the woodpecker fixes the roof and the turtle gave Grandma a ride home from th
Angie
My mom recently cleaned out the house and found a bunch of books from when we were little. Of course she gave them all to me. They certainly bring back memories of reading them over and over and over again. 30 years later and I still remember these stories. The books themselves may be a little worse for wear but the stories are still wonderful.

I adore this book. I think it was truly my favorite growing up. The poor sad elephant!
Anthony W
He is a book that deals with a grandma that would buy animals from the local pet man everytime he offered. Every animal she agrees to get helps her with the work she has in some way. The pet man always offers an elephant until one day she gets him, which he causes problems for her daily until one day he saves the day.

Here is a clever cartoon book with colorful pictures. The cover has a picture with an elephant getting stuck while trying to enter the house. Then you open up to the title page and
Marissa J.
This clever, somewhat repetitive book, is one about a grandmother who keeps taking animals offered to her by the local pet man. Each animal she takes serves a purpose, except the elephant that she originally refused to take. The elephant only causes problems for the grandma until the end of the story where he saves the day.

A cartoon illustrated book, But No Elephants has many pictures that cover its colorful pictures. The book cover is actually a picture that appears later on in the book. This a
george
Grandma Tildy lives all by herself and works very hard. One day a pet salesman comes to her door with a truckload of animals and asks if she would like a bird--Grandma Tildy says yes, but "No elephants." The bird helps her and the pet man returns again and again offering different animals. She always says yes, but "No elephants." The animals work with her and make her life a little happier and easier. Until one day the pet man just leaves the elephant at her house. Now what is Grandma Tildy to d ...more
Dayle Lynne
I;m fairly certain this was my favorite book as a child. I'm sure I made my mom read it to me over and over and over again . . . and once I could read it myself, I read it over and over and over again. (In fact, I think I memorized every word before I could actually read.) I still have my childhood copy (now sitting on my daughter's bookshelf) and it's one of my most treasured books.
Yassie
hehe one of my fave childhood story~! I feel sorry for the elephant especially when winter came but it all ended well~~ ^~^
Amber
All time favorite. I am so happy to read this to my kids. The illustrations are priceless!
Lisa
I loved this book so much as a child, now my daughter loves it. So loved it is falling apart!
Jessica Robinson
My brother and I loved this book growing up. I can't wait to read it to my own children.
Karen
May 06, 2014 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Karen by: garage sale :0)
My kids love this book. A cute story about how an elephant helps a grandma to retire.
Olson Family Matters
Cute read - both Madelyn and Sydney loved. Recommended by EY as a book his girls loved1
Nichole Kullman
One of my favorites as a kid, and one of Ad's favorites now!
Ashley
One of my absolute favourite books as a child.
Alicia Scully
Grandma likes to take in various animals and give them a good home but she swears on her life that she'll never take in any elephants. She denies the elephant several times and her house starts to get a little crowded with all of the other animals but she holds her ground. Will she even let the poor elephant inside and give him a good home?

This book is one that kids will enjoy for quite awhile and will help with reading skills. It also has a good message about thinking about your own prejudices
5 year old: That was weird.
Robert Beveridge
Jerry Smath, But No Elephants (Parents Magazine Press, 1992)

Cute little beginning reader about prejudice and the power that every member of a society (or a household) can bring to the table. Repetition will enable younger readers to get some of the words they might not grasp the first time around, the illustrations are fun, and the story is sure to keep the kiddies entertained. May strain parents' nerves after the hundredth reading, but it's certainly enjoyable enough the first ninety-nine times
Dolly
May 30, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens, pets
This is a humorous story about a little old lady who ends up with a variety of pets. All of the animals have a particular talent that helps the household, but the elephant is so big - what can he do? It's a fun tale and our girls really liked the ending.

But the question I pose is she an animal hoarder? She fits the profile: single, lonely older woman. I just finished the book Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things and I know it will change the way I look at things for a long time!

Dianna
"Grandma Tildy lived all alone. She worked hard every day. She had no time to play."

Then the pet man comes and eventually filters off all his pets to her, including the elephant she adamantly refuses. The elephant breaks the house and eats all the food. What will Grandma Tildy and her pets do? The elephant finds a solution.

This was a childhood favorite of mine and now my son loves it as well. Not a word is out of place, and the illustrations are charming, with just the right amount of detail.
☆αlly☆ (litєrαry єscαpist)
This is hands down my FAVORITE childhood book.
Beautiful story. Beautiful illustrations.
Hanley
Apr 09, 2008 Hanley rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents with young children
Recommended to Hanley by: The Tooth Fairy (not really)
This is how I learned to read. It's my favorite children's story of all time, purely because it makes me think of the many, many nights my dad and I "read" it together at bedtime. For anyone with toddlers, this is a charming, warm-and-fuzzy, goodnight book with plenty of places for your child to participate. (And by participate, I mean repeat the refrain: "But nooooo elephants!").
Amanda Marshall
My absolute favorite childhood book. My mom would read this to us kids and we always got to say the "BUT NO MORE ELEPHANTS!" part. Such wonderful memories. Sadly our copy got lost in our move from Kansas to Oregon when I was just 8. I'm now looking for a copy to give my mom; sadly most copies are over $50. Who knew our childhood book could now be worth so much?! Great book.
Corinne
This was my favorite kid's book when I was little! I just found it at my parent's house and of course took it home with me. The pictures are absolutely adorable and that is just as important as how cute a story it is. Everyone seems to have a version of what the deeper meaning of the book is but the bottom line is - it's a cute feel - good book.
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Popcorn
  • Pickle Things
  • Socks for Supper
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • Thomas' Snowsuit
  • A Tale of Two Daddies
  • Dinosaur Bob and His Adventures with the Family Lazardo
  • Alphabet
Wheels on the Bus I Like Pumpkins The Wee Witches' Halloween Elephant Goes to School Sammy Salami