Start by marking “But No Elephants” as Want to Read:
But No Elephants

But No Elephants

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  1,236 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
Grandma Tildy finally agrees to take an unwanted elephant into her home, but soon regrets her decision.
Published 1979 by Parents Magazine Press

To ask other readers questions about But No Elephants, please sign up.

Mona
Jul 30, 2014 Mona rated it it was amazing
My parents received this book through a mailing subscription list (it was like Netflix but with kids' books, back in the 1980s), and it became an all-time favorite book in our house. My older sister loved it, I loved it, my younger brother loved it.

My dad says he still remembers how vigorously we all three would shake our heads at the repeated line of the story, "But no elephants!" He said he can't wait to read it to the future grandkids. Good thing we kept it!
Maggie Stiefvater
I know this isn't a new book, but it is still hands-down my three-year-old's favorite bedtime story. He will listen to this book back to back night after night. In between the old woman who takes on every animal but an elephant, the pet salesman who tries to foist the elephant upon her, and the various ways the animals help her, there's lots of opportunities for funny voices and sound effects. Definitely a keeper.

***wondering why all my reviews are five stars? Because I'm only reviewing my favor
Kristie
Oct 09, 2015 Kristie rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristie by: ally ¯\(ツ)/¯
Shelves: childrens
Cute little children's story about how everyone is special and helpful in their own way.
Kendra Loch
Mar 05, 2016 Kendra Loch rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-choice
But No Elephants has been my favorite children's book from the day that I got it-about 18 years ago!

One day, a salesman came to her house selling pets and asked her if she would like to buy a canary bird. Grandma says her famous lines, "Very well. But no elephants!" The canary sang for Grandma Tildy and gave her company.

The next few days the pet man came again and again and Grandma continued to buy pets with her phrase "Very well. But no elephants!" But soon an elephant was all that was left a
Megan
Feb 15, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I used to love this book as a child. This litle old lady buys just about every type of animal from a salesman. Every time she refuses to buy the elephant though. Eventually the salesman just leaves the elephant on her front door. It rains and snows and finally she lets him come in. He turns out to be a real help to her...and well its just a charming book :)
Rachel
Jan 12, 2011 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This has been my favorite book scince I was really little I give it 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,00,000,000 stars out of 5 READ IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carrie Stephens
Jan 20, 2013 Carrie Stephens rated it it was amazing
One of my ALL time favorite childhood books.
Rochelley
Jan 28, 2012 Rochelley rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites as a child.
Kim
Aug 31, 2015 Kim rated it liked it
read this book to my son when he was little. he liked the book
J. Boo
Nov 26, 2016 J. Boo rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Pleasant little kids book about an elderly lady who is an itinerant pet salesman's best customer, willing to buy all the animals he trots out for her, BUT NO ELEPHANTS. Not a spoiler to guess with what she eventually winds up. The kids have been requesting it multiple times, so good all around.

Me: 3/5
DS#1 (age 5) & DD (age 3): 4/5
Ashley
Nov 08, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is hands down my favorite children's book of all time.
Julia Maisel
Jan 28, 2016 Julia Maisel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book begins with the sweet and hardworking Grandma Tildy in front of her yellow house, where she lived by herself. A tall salesman with a feather in his cap approached her one day and asked if she would like to buy a yellow canary. She accepted his offer but insisted, "No elephants!" The bird kept her company throughout her daily tasks and so she agreed to buy a beaver the next day from the salesman. Again, Grandma Tildy insisted, "But no elephants!" As the pets began to make Grandma Tildy's ...more
Amanda
Sep 08, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorites growing up, which is saying a lot as I read many books and enjoyed the majority, marking only a small percentage as favorites. Upon reading this after years of searching, I was transported back to my childhood and waams reminded me why I loved this book so much.
It starts of funny and just keeps getting better. The friendship and help given freely despite not wanting to get involved is simply amazing. I can't recall why I loved this book so as a kid, but considering t
Kellie Callahan
Dec 06, 2014 Kellie Callahan rated it really liked it
This book is about Grandma Tildy, and the man who keeps selling her pets, and every time she buys an animal from him, she exclaims, “But no elephants!” At first, she buys a canary bird. Then, a beaver. And all of the animals help her around the house. And then, she buys a turtle, but no elephants. And then, she buys a woodpecker. After that, the pet man asks her if she’d like to buy an elephant, because he’s the only animal left and he needs to sell him before winter. She exclaims “No! No ...more
Caranna
Jul 25, 2013 Caranna rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-the-kiddies
One of my favorite stories as a child now lives again as a favorite of my children.

Grandma Tildy lives all alone until the pet man comes and asks if she would like to buy a pet. Grandma agrees and finds that she enjoys the company.
The pet man returns and every time he does Grandma answers, "Very well. But No Elephants."
Every new addition is able to help Granmda in it's own way. The canary sings, the beaver cuts logs, the woodpecker fixes the roof and the turtle gave Grandma a ride home from th
Melanie
An old classic about Grandma Tildy who enjoys living all alone. One day a salesman stops by and asks her if she would like a bird. Grandma Tildy accepts the bird but ensures that the salesman understands that no elephants are welcome. This continues until Grandma Tildy has a bird, turtle and a beaver. The house is pretty full when the salesman stops by for the last time and only has the elephant left. Grandma Tildy wants nothing to do with the elephant, so he sits out in the cold, miserable ...more
Shayla
Apr 27, 2015 Shayla rated it it was amazing
This book is about an old woman, Grandma Tildy, who is visited by a man who sells animals. Grandma Tildy continuously buys the animals that the man sells her, but she says she will never buy an elephant. These animals make Grandma Tildy’s life better, and they all help one another out. The man eventually leaves the elephant at Grandma Tildy’s house, in the winter. She lets the elephant inside and he eats all her food, and breaks her home. But then the elephant walks, and walks, and walks, to a ...more
Anthony W
Mar 04, 2010 Anthony W rated it liked it
Shelves: pbgs-2
He is a book that deals with a grandma that would buy animals from the local pet man everytime he offered. Every animal she agrees to get helps her with the work she has in some way. The pet man always offers an elephant until one day she gets him, which he causes problems for her daily until one day he saves the day.

Here is a clever cartoon book with colorful pictures. The cover has a picture with an elephant getting stuck while trying to enter the house. Then you open up to the title page and
Marissa J.
Mar 04, 2010 Marissa J. rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
This clever, somewhat repetitive book, is one about a grandmother who keeps taking animals offered to her by the local pet man. Each animal she takes serves a purpose, except the elephant that she originally refused to take. The elephant only causes problems for the grandma until the end of the story where he saves the day.

A cartoon illustrated book, But No Elephants has many pictures that cover its colorful pictures. The book cover is actually a picture that appears later on in the book. This a
george
Jun 28, 2008 george rated it really liked it
Grandma Tildy lives all by herself and works very hard. One day a pet salesman comes to her door with a truckload of animals and asks if she would like a bird--Grandma Tildy says yes, but "No elephants." The bird helps her and the pet man returns again and again offering different animals. She always says yes, but "No elephants." The animals work with her and make her life a little happier and easier. Until one day the pet man just leaves the elephant at her house. Now what is Grandma Tildy to ...more
Drew Graham
Aug 07, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Grandma Tildy is perfectly willing to take in most pets the traveling salesman offers her, but she's quite adamant when it comes to elephants. Will she ever change her mind?

This is a book that The Wife grew up with, so she was excited to add it to our children's book library. It became a quick favorite with The Boy, and although I found the artwork to be a bit dated (you know how books from the '70s and '80s just have a certain look?), it was still charming and funny, and of course had a great p
Robert Beveridge
Jerry Smath, But No Elephants (Parents Magazine Press, 1992)

Cute little beginning reader about prejudice and the power that every member of a society (or a household) can bring to the table. Repetition will enable younger readers to get some of the words they might not grasp the first time around, the illustrations are fun, and the story is sure to keep the kiddies entertained. May strain parents' nerves after the hundredth reading, but it's certainly enjoyable enough the first ninety-nine times
Dolly
May 30, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
This is a humorous story about a little old lady who ends up with a variety of pets. All of the animals have a particular talent that helps the household, but the elephant is so big - what can he do? It's a fun tale and our girls really liked the ending.

But the question I pose is she an animal hoarder? She fits the profile: single, lonely older woman. I just finished the book Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things and I know it will change the way I look at things for a long time!

Dianna
Jan 01, 2011 Dianna rated it it was amazing
"Grandma Tildy lived all alone. She worked hard every day. She had no time to play."

Then the pet man comes and eventually filters off all his pets to her, including the elephant she adamantly refuses. The elephant breaks the house and eats all the food. What will Grandma Tildy and her pets do? The elephant finds a solution.

This was a childhood favorite of mine and now my son loves it as well. Not a word is out of place, and the illustrations are charming, with just the right amount of detail.
Alicia Scully
Apr 29, 2012 Alicia Scully rated it really liked it
Grandma likes to take in various animals and give them a good home but she swears on her life that she'll never take in any elephants. She denies the elephant several times and her house starts to get a little crowded with all of the other animals but she holds her ground. Will she even let the poor elephant inside and give him a good home?

This book is one that kids will enjoy for quite awhile and will help with reading skills. It also has a good message about thinking about your own prejudices
Angie
Jul 25, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
My mom recently cleaned out the house and found a bunch of books from when we were little. Of course she gave them all to me. They certainly bring back memories of reading them over and over and over again. 30 years later and I still remember these stories. The books themselves may be a little worse for wear but the stories are still wonderful.

I adore this book. I think it was truly my favorite growing up. The poor sad elephant!
Alice
Jan 16, 2015 Alice rated it liked it
3.75 stars I think I am going to call this the Florida book...why? Because a cold winter happens and she buys all the animals and pets in the neighborhood but has no room for the elephant...but he will get cold.... so they try to get him into the house. He walks and walks and walks to a nice warm place and they are still here. I like the pictures, the story is good but in Florida.... I see no ELEPHANTS!
Chris
Jan 05, 2016 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I remember this book from when I was a small kid, no smaller than 2 or 3 years old, sitting on my father's lap, him making noises for every time the author said their famous words. Although my father recently died, and the book copy I originally had that inspired me to repurchase toys book was nowhere to be found (it got sold a long, long time ago), I stl have a copy now that I will cherish forever and ever, if I ever have kids of my own (which I probably won't, but you never know).

Nancy
Sep 17, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I must have read this book a million times over the years! My three boys just loved shaking their heads back and forth and mouthing "but no elephants" along with Grandma Tildy. Much like the smell of lavender scented shampoo, opening the pages of this silly little book evokes memories of their childhood.
Craig
Mar 06, 2016 Craig rated it it was ok
Emily and her mum went to the zoo but there was no elephants. The next day Emily and her mum went to a teddy shop but there was no Teddy's that were elephants . The day after Emily went to a safari park and she met an elephant . Next day Emily looked for her brothers toy elephant but she couldn't find it . No elephants she sighed.
The end
  • Henry's Awful Mistake
  • Popcorn
  • Pickle Things
  • Socks for Supper
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
  • Goose Goofs Off
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • Kanga and Baby Roo Come to the Forest
  • Thomas and Percy and the Dragon (Thomas & Friends: Step into Reading)
  • Come Over to My House
  • Mortimer
  • The Penguin that Hated the Cold (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Alphabet