Start by marking “Sound of the Heart (The MacDonnells, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sound of the Heart (The MacDonnells, #2)

Sound of the Heart (The MacDonnells #2)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  194 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
From Genevieve Graham, author of Under the Same Sky, comes a sweeping romantic historical novel of one man’s strange gift and dangerous battles…
Dougal MacDonnell, a fierce warrior from the Highlands of Scotland, is able to hear the thoughts of other men and dream how the future will unfold. Devastated by the loss of his family during the Battle of Culloden in 1746, he fos
Published May 1st 2012 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Sound of the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sound of the Heart

Jill
Jun 24, 2014 Jill rated it really liked it

description
The Scottish Highlands

Dougal MacDonnell, barely a man, has fought at the Battle of Culloden, losing his father, and not knowing the fate of his younger brothers, Andrew and Ciaran. Captured by the victorious British soldiers he, along with other surviving Highlanders, are taken from the moors of Culloden to the prison at Inverness. From there to the floating prison on the Thane of Fife, to Tilbury Port and the filthy streets of London, and finally to the colonies.

description
The Jacobite Army

This i
Megan Riverina Romantics/Meggerfly

Sound of the Heart is the first historical Romance novel that I've red in over a year and let me tell you it was a like a breath of fresh air. Genevieve Graham did an excellent job with her second book. It is a companion to her novel debut, Under the Same Sky and follows Dougal MacDonnell, the brother of Andrew.

Sound of the Heart starts in 1746 during the battle between the Scots and English at Culloden. Right away the book drew me in, enabling me to experience the sights and sounds as if they w
Regan Walker
Apr 28, 2013 Regan Walker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Sweeping Saga of the Scots’ Fate After Culloden and Life in the American Colonies

This is a sweeping historical saga, and companion to UNDER THE SAME SKY, Graham’s first novel. It covers more than a decade, and at times seems more historical fiction than romance, but it does have a worthy love story running through it, so I consider it a crossover. It begins in 1745 with the Battle of Culloden that cut a dark scar on the history of Scotland as the English tried to wipe out a people whose desire f
Carolyn
Jul 10, 2012 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carolyn by: Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
Shelves: graham-genevieve
When I finished this book, I was terribly disappointed and truly pissed. For two books, we read about the brothers, their separation since The Battle of Culloden and their amazing connection. All along, I was waiting for them to finally be reunited after all the years and horrors they experienced. And, yet, at the end of this book, it wasn't to be. Oh, we are left with the idea that they will get together, but it would have completed the circle and the promise of the two books, to read about the ...more
Angelc
May 10, 2012 Angelc rated it really liked it
Genevieve Graham's characters really go through the wringer to get to their happy ending!! How much more can these two endure? Yes, there was more violence than I would have liked to read about, but I knew that going into this book. Graham's characters are so strong in their convictions though, you can't help pulling for them through all of their un-ending struggles.

As for the 'big reveal' (no spoilers, you'll have to read it), just wow!! I was really not expecting that to happen. Looking back,
Aoi
Apr 14, 2015 Aoi rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

(view spoiler)

Sandy M
May 05, 2012 Sandy M rated it it was amazing
I had hopes for this book after finishing Genevieve Graham’s debut, Under the Same Sky, which I loved. Sometimes a new author has a difficult time maintaining such excellence after a first book. So you can imagine my tad of hesitation as I began reading Sound of the Heart. Should I have been worried?

Not one bit. Ms. Graham writes like an old pro. The history is rich and deep. Her characters truly live the times, the emotion tugs at your soul, and her added twist of the paranormal is just the rig
Ruth Hill
Dec 07, 2012 Ruth Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, historical
This was the first "Highlanders" book I have ever read. I have read the buzz about these great romances that people read from the Highlanders, and I have to admit that I somewhat dismissed this as a fad. What could be so great about reading a book about the Scottish people?

Was I ever wrong! This book was unbelievable! I am so glad I took a gamble on it. I love history, and I got to read about a part of history I knew virtually nothing about. Not only that, but the romance was hot and steamy, and
Danielle (Bookwhoreblog) Perez
When I started reading Sound of the Heart I was instantly hooked. You as the reader are thrown straight into the story. I love when a book kick starts right away grasping my attention from page one. Also Genevieve Graham is an amazing writer, with the added ability to capture reader’s attention with the art of storytelling. Graham's writing is beautiful, and she uses imagery flawlessly, putting you right into the story with the characters.

Sound of the Heart is unlike any romance I have ever rea
Evie
***Originally posted to: Bookish Book Blog |YA and Adult Book Reviews, Author Interviews, Guest Posts, Giveaways and news! ^___^

First, check out the book thong I made for this awesome book:

Yes, I am a fan!!!

If there's one thing that every romance fan should hope for when diving into a new historical romance, it would most definitely be for the historical part to be done right. It isn't all that hard to write a steamy, heart-pounding romance, but to set it against a historical background that wo
Jessica
Dec 13, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it
Sound of the Heart further deepens my slow journey into this genre, and I have to say that I am so glad that Genevieve Graham offered me the opportunity for a review! This was a book that I truly enjoyed. From the sweeping highlands of Scotland, to the dark and dank streets of London, Graham is an expert at explaining the setting just right. I was transported each place that I followed Dougal and settled right in to read his story. Descriptive writing abounds in this story.

If that isn't enough f
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

*** REVIEW CONTAINS A SPOILER***

In Genevieve Graham's first novel, Under the Same Sky, we are left believing that Andrew's brother, Dougal MacDonnell has been killed in combat on the fields of Culloden. In the latest book, Sound of the Heart, we happily find out that is not the case, but his situation is dire. Dougal awakens after the battle hurting and bound by restraints. He, along with several other survivors of the infamous battle are taken as prisoners by the British who wish to strip them
Kimberly
May 11, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
The Sound of Heart by historical fiction romance author Genevieve Graham takes us from the sweeping hills of Scotland to the savage shores of America. When Graham approached me for this tour she had me at the words; Scotland and Highlander. I am delighted to say I wasn't disappointed. She delivered an epic tale of hardship, history, and a romance that will captivate readers.

The tale begins with Dougal MacDonnell, a swoon worthy warrior. He and his family are Highlanders in Scotland. They are try
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
The book begins with a battle lost and prisoner of war status for the Scotsmen. They are kept in sub-human conditions and endure inhumain treatment.

Through all of this Dougal perseveres. He is a fighter and a good man. He and his friend, John, take it upon themselves to watch after two young men who were also captured.

An escape doesn't go as planned, but leads him to Glenna. They make a life together hidden in a remote area of Scotland. The unthinkable happens and they are separated. Dougal will
Kathy
Aug 22, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it
A follow on from Under the Same Sky, Sound of the Heart is equally as good, although it took me a while to get into purely because I was still living in the first book – with Maggie and Andrew. Genevieve Graham has a gift of writing incredible, page-turning, detailed, historical romance and this one is quite breathtaking also…… Highly recommend as a follow on from Under the Same Sky….a captivating saga from the fields of the Battle of Culloden to the savage shores of America – enjoy!

S.R. Roddy
Jan 13, 2014 S.R. Roddy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to S.R. by: I found the book trailer.
Like the first book this well written sequel contains a stunning combination of historical accuracy, smooth flowing dialogue, action and tender romance. Dougal's extensive character development and the plot surrounding him held me enthralled from cover to cover. Graham's descriptions of the times and conditions as well as her battle scenes allowed my imagination to flow easily.

Unlike the first book there is interaction from nearly the beginning between the two main characters, allowing us to wat
Sherron
Jul 10, 2012 Sherron rated it really liked it
Shelves: frontier, scotland
3.5

I liked it, but it felt unfinished to me.
Michelle (True Book Addict)
I really enjoyed this book. I have a lot of interest in Scottish history because of William Wallace and Rob Roy so any chance I get to read a book with Scottish characters and set in Scotland is wonderful. Set in 18th century Scotland, with settings in England and the American colonies as well, Sound of the Heart is an exciting historical tale with two extraordinary characters, Dougal and Glenna. I'm not usually big on romance in novels, but the relationship between the two main characters is so ...more
Moonlight Gleam
May 30, 2012 Moonlight Gleam rated it it was amazing
*Warning, may contain spoilers for Under The Same Sky*

Sound of The Heart is a companion novel to Genevieve Graham’s debut release, Under The Same Sky. The books focus on the separate adventures of two brothers who believe the other was lost at the Battle of Culloden. In Under The Same Sky, readers are introduced to Dougal MacDonnell, Andrew’s brother who is believed to have died in battle. It is later revealed in Sound of The Heart that Dougal is in fact still alive and is an incredible warrior.
Kimberly
May 07, 2012 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
A couple of months ago I was approached by the author to review her book as part of her blog tour, and of course I had to say yes because a lot of you know that this is my favourite genre. How could I refuse to read it?

I well and truly fell hard for Dougal MacDonnell, much like the same way that I fell for Diana Gabaldon's character Jamie Fraser. It was just that good of a book, it really was. I thought that Genevieve did a fantastic job of writing a book from the male point of view (for the mo
Jana (That Artsy Reader Girl)
I read Genevieve's Under the Same Sky and reviewed it over at The Broke and the Bookish last month, so I was excited when Genevieve contacted me and asked if I was interested in reading this companion novel. Under the Same Sky was a tricky read for me, as some of the subject matter was highly distressing, and my tender heart had a hard time reading the recounting of certain historical happenings, including rape, abuse, and war. I wrote to Genevieve about my struggles, and we began discussing his ...more
Siobian
Jun 16, 2012 Siobian rated it really liked it
Dougal McDonnell is fighting at the battle of Culloden when he is separated from his family and taken prisoner. After being imprisoned in ghastly conditions, Dougal escapes and begins a new life in the Scottish Highlands with his newly found love, Glenna. Things go wonderfully for a while, but when Glenna is taken by the British soldiers and sent to the American colonies, Dougal must join the enemy for the chance to save her.

I literally could not put this book down! While Jamie Frasier is my fav
Pam
May 21, 2012 Pam rated it liked it
Imagine the Scottish Highlands, big brawny men in kilts, thick Scottish brogues, and action. Sounds like a big budget Mel Gibson movie, doesn’t it? Well, Genevieve Graham’s latest book, Sound of the Heart, just might be.

Set in the mid 1700s, Sound of the Heart is Graham’s companion novel to Under the Same Sky. From the first page to the last, the reader is drawn into the engaging, fast paced action of the war between the Scots and the English. The story revolves around the main character, Dougal
Christina
Jun 01, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
I read Under the Same Sky by Graham, and knew that Sound of the Heart would not disappoint. I don't feel I need to summarize the book in this review, but only give my thoughts. It is no secret that Graham is a gifted writer. She takes the time to choose words carefully, and does painstaking research to add lush historical detail. I love that I can trust her in this. Her characters are full of depth. She is not flowery, with big displays of words and vocabulary, but keeps things simple.
Although
Aislynn
Do you ever start a book and know you probably shouldn’t because you KNOW you won’t be able to put it down until it’s finished? Well for me this was one of those books. I started it at 8pm – while hubby was watching TV and ended up staying up until 1am because I HAD to know what happened to Dougal and Glenna. This is one of those books that sucked me right in and held me until it was finished.

We met Dougal briefly in Under the Same Sky (Genevieve’s debut in 2011), he is brother to Andrew (the ma
Julia
May 22, 2012 Julia rated it really liked it
Sound of the Heart is the passionate, beautifully written tale of Dougal MacDonnell and Glenna by Genevieve Graham. I haven't read anything else by Genevieve, but have heard wonderful things about her novel Under the Same Sky, so I was incredibly eager to read this one! It didn't disappoint me, and Genevieve has been added to my list of must buy authors in the Historical Romance genre. Genevieve blends history, action and romance perfectly in Sound of the Heart.

The main characters, Dougal and Gl
Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter)
May 27, 2012 Stephanie (Once Upon a Chapter) rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
What I Loved: Genevieve Graham does an amazing job writing an enriching and beautiful story without hampering it down with pages and pages of historical facts. Sound of the Heart is a heart-wrenching story of war and love. Graham pens her novel with great care. I truly enjoyed each page even as she gripped my heart and twisted.

Dougal and Glenna are amazing together. Truthfully I can’t see either of them with anyone else. I think what I enjoyed the most about Sound of the Heart are the surprises
Ellie
Jun 10, 2012 Ellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Detra Fitch
Jun 09, 2012 Detra Fitch rated it it was amazing
Dougal MacDonnell, from Invergarry, is a fierce Highland warrior of Scotland. During the Battle of Culloden in April, 1746, Dougal is separated from his brothers and sees his father fall. Devastated by the loss of his family, Dougal becomes a prisoner of the English. During this time Dougal strikes up a friendship with John Wallace, another prisoner. Together they keep all of the other prisoners from preying upon the two drummer boys, Joseph and Aiden. (Skipping a lot here to avoid spoilers.)

Do
Betty
May 02, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
Dougal MacDonnell's story begins on the fighting field of Culloden in 1746. He is with his father and two brothers, all well trained Highlander warriors. As the fighting gets more fierce he loses track of his brothers in mists that have fallen over the fighting fields. He watches as his father is felled and sees him draw his last breath. He looks for his brothers again but cannot find them. He looks around and realizes that he is surrounded by British soldiers and soon is their captive.

He is d
  • FOUND : The Rake And The Recluse : Part Two
  • Miracle in New Hope
  • Gathering Storm
  • When a Laird Takes a Lady (Claimed by the Highlander, #2)
  • Keowee Valley
  • A Little More Scandal (The Christies, #1.5)
  • X Marks the Scot (Bad Boys of the Highlands, #2)
  • Hell's Phoenix (The Road To Hell, #2)
  • An Heiress at Heart (Love's Grace, #1)
  • Forbidden Highlander (Dark Sword, #2)
  • Border Lord's Bride (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #4)
  • The Summer Before the Storm
  • What Happens in Scotland (Second Sons, #1)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Kira, Daughter of the Moon
  • The Blood of Roses (Highlands, #2)
  • White Rose Rebel
  • The Highlander's Reward (Stolen Bride, #1)

The MacDonnells (3 books)
  • Under the Same Sky (The MacDonnells, #1)
  • Somewhere to Dream (The MacDonnells, #3)