Start by marking “In the Dolphin's Wake: Cocktails, Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands: Cocktails, Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands” as Want to Read:

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Anaamusing and erudite account of Harry Bucknall's 183-dayajourney through the Greek islands from Venice, in the West, to Istanbul, in the EastaIn the summer of 2006, Harry Bucknall traveled from Venice to IstanbulOCoa journey across the Aegean ofamore thana5,500 miles that included the glories of Mount Athos, 36 islands, and every island chain in the Greek Archipelago. It ...more
Published August 14th 2014 by Not Avail (first published July 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about In the Dolphin's Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dolphin's Wake

John
Had I read the print book, I might've come away thinking it "not bad" probably, though somewhat slight. The audio production, however, is a mess. I had an inkling of that from the sample, but figured, "Well, I really like travel narratives, so how bad can it be?" Bad enough.
To start, there was obviously no editing whatsoever - on occasion, Bucknall starts a sentence, loses his track, and then just ... tries again, like hearing an echo. Secondarily, he gives Americans rather cartoonish accents -
Roger Neilson
I struggled to finish this one. There are some nice descriptions in there, and some pleasant moments but its very 'bitty' and could have done with some overall narrative. Disappointing.
Natalie Hinman
What glorious escape! I absolutely romped through it, albeit conversely didn't want it to end, for I was so enjoying basking in the warmth of the Greek Islands, alongside Harry.
I wished myself there for so much of his journey... And anyone that is familiar with Greece will recognise parallels with characters and experiences, I'm sure!
There is a lot to enjoy as he provides a taster of all the island groups. It is rare to find a decent modern travelogue which includes a tour of all the islands (s
Ernie Apostolos

There are many books written by travellers to the Greek Islands and as this one was subtitled “Cocktails Calamities and Caiques in the Greek Islands”, I assumed that this would be another patronisingly written tome in the just relate lots of situations in which the Greeks and their customs appear eccentric, stupid, lazy and they lack the Western European skills in organisation and timekeeping, style. However what made Bucknall’s account more interesting for me, was the economical way in which he
Marjory McGinn
Harry Bucknall's odyssey around the Greek islands is incredibly entertaining, informative and full of fun. With a lightness of touch, he has brought to life many lesser known islands, local characters and made the often-complex history of Greece very readable. His trip to the 'men-only' monasteries of Mount Athos, that few people ever attempt, is magical indeed. This is a wonderful read!
Paula Curtis
enjoyable wander through some of the islands that we have visited. Amused in that most of the characters mentioned we have seen or met whilest traveling around Greece are all there in black and white. The Greek characters are the most funny, sad, compelling and friendly people you could met as long as you've willing to pay.
Ekaterina Botziou
A highly informative, beautifully descriptive account of Harry Bucknall's Greek Island hopping adventures. Harry writes with wit and charm and the book is engaging and entertaining.
Simon
Charming, engaging and informative. A must read for anyone who has visited or plans to travel to the Greek Islands
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Robert
Robert added it
Apr 02, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 16, 2014
Paul Cheney
Paul Cheney marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Mania
Mania marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2012
Fritzov
Fritzov marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Chrissie
Chrissie marked it as to-read
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Irena
Irena marked it as to-read
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2012
Harry Bucknall was born in 1965 and brought up in Dorset. After 12 years service in the British Army, he worked in the oil and mining industries and as a consultant in the Middle East. He has also produced theatre on the London Fringe, sat on the Olivier Awards Panel and reviewed theatre for Arts Council, London. As a freelance travel writer he has contributed to the international and national pre ...more
More about Harry Bucknall...
Like a Tramp, Like a Pilgrim: On Foot, Across Europe to Rome In the Dolphin's Wake Like a Tramp, Like A Pilgrim: On  Foot, Across Europe to Rome Like a Tramp, Like A Pilgrim: On Foot, Across Europe to Rome In The Dolphin's Wake