Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy

More than magic...

Where else can one combine chemistry and philosophy to turn base metal into gold while discovering a magical elixir to prolong life? Here's a simple and straightforward guide to alchemy that explains its basic principles. Written by one of the world's few practicing alchemists, it's a concise reference guide that provides easy-to-follow information so tha
Published April 1st 2008 by Alpha (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Alchemy

Jasmine
Oct 02, 2010 Jasmine rated it did not like it
Do you know know what is wrong with this book?

The idiots who read it.

Alchemy is
Alchemy, derived from the Arabic word al-kimia, is both a philosophy and an ancient practice focused on the attempt to change base metals into gold,
according to wikipedia.

according to this book.

Books like this cause interactions like this:

customer:
Is there a place other than new
B.  Barron
Jun 23, 2011 B. Barron rated it really liked it
Its a good book, very enlightening on the subject – though perhaps not in the way the author seems to have intended. Still it certainly merits the 4-star rating based on the wealth of information it provides. It does drag at points.

I am a huge, flaming skeptic when it comes to things mystical and magical and miraculous. I want to believe in these things, and in point I really do believe in them – just not the way most do. There is magic in this old, dark world of ours – but its not what the pedd
Taliesin Mcknight
Jan 30, 2015 Taliesin Mcknight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I have my reservations about this book, I still give it 4 stars because this is a really good general introduction to the subject of alchemy. It explores the general history of the subject, the different types of alchemy, and basic symbolism. This is good for someone who would like just a brief overview of the subject. However, as it goes into many different aspects, it doesn't give much detail in any one aspect of the subject. Also, it would be nice if it gave more instructions on prac ...more
Alex Dunn
Oct 15, 2016 Alex Dunn rated it it was amazing
I don't normally like these Idiot guides but this one was really good, I've read a few other books by this author and he's excellent at explaining very complex subjects and alchemy is a complex as it can get (sorry for the unenlightened it's not as simple as J K made out).

If you want to learn more about alchemy read this first, then go onto the other books.
Ron
Mar 08, 2011 Ron rated it liked it
Arcane. Occult. Occasionally pragmatic. Some parts fascinating, others not so much. Not everyone's cup of tea. I found his discussions about Jung's attraction to alchemy to be illuminating, and I appreciated his clear explanation of the different possible foci (dimensions?) of alchemy, including the psychological.
Bridger Montana
Nov 24, 2013 Bridger Montana rated it it was amazing
If this is a topic you are interested in, this was an amazing read that opened my eyes to the wonder of the world around me, as well as helped me to understand what I thought to be a dead art. I loved this book.
Brad
Apr 03, 2011 Brad marked it as to-read
Yup. It exists. I bought it at a Borders that was closing. It's for research for my young adult novel!
Bryan Corradino
Oct 15, 2012 Bryan Corradino rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Excellent guide, simple but very much detailed at the same time. It helped me a lot when i took the Trinity exam (my topic was about alchemy).
Shinynickel
Oct 05, 2010 Shinynickel marked it as to-read
Holy shit, I have to read this.
K.A. Stewart
Aug 26, 2010 K.A. Stewart rated it liked it
For research!
Sheila Coldiron
Nov 02, 2012 Sheila Coldiron rated it it was amazing
I read this book in preparation for a seminar on the "Emerald Tablet." It is an excellent book and I learned a lot from it. If you have no previous experience or knowledge of Alchemy.
Lauren
Lauren rated it really liked it
Aug 01, 2012
Dario Gómez Candia
Dario Gómez Candia rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2012
John
John rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2013
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2015
Sofia
Sofia rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2012
Chris Vanslambrouck
Chris Vanslambrouck rated it it was ok
Oct 01, 2014
Lysette
Lysette rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2016
Mohammed Ali
Mohammed Ali rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Scott DeVogelaere
Scott DeVogelaere rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Caryl Barnes
Caryl Barnes rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
Daren
Daren rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2013
Ainmhithe
Ainmhithe rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2015
Pam Jackson
Pam Jackson rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Pat Smith
Pat Smith rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2015