Start by marking “3 Free Sins: A New Perspective on Sin and Grace” as Want to Read:
3 Free Sins: A New Perspective on Sin and Grace

3 Free Sins: A New Perspective on Sin and Grace

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  47 reviews
This book is about the misguided obsession with the management of sin that cripples too many Christians. It's about the view that religion is all about sin...about how to hide side sin or how to stop sinning all together.

In the Introduction, the author toys good-naturedly with an agitated caller on his radio program, teasing him in a segment where he offers three free sins

Published February 7th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about 3 Free Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 3 Free Sins

Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"When Christians get to the point where they read only Christian books, go only to Christian movies hang out only with other Christians, eat only Christian cookies, and wear only Christian underwear, it's time for a reality check. That's sick, and it is a sickness unto death.

Once we are free from the need to defend, protect and hide, we have the freedom to show up in places where proper Christians don't go for fear of getting dirty. And it is in our showing up that the authenticity of who we are
Bob Henry
I was not familiar with Steve Brown, but the tag line, "God's Not Mad at You" is a phrase that has had me in some heated conversations. I picked up the book at B&N and literally read the introductions and the first couple chapters before leaving the bookstore. Not only is it an easy read, it is a fun, true and profound book. I probably don't agree with Steve Brown's theology fully, but I do believe in his approach to ministry and the journey of faith. Often the stories, the analogies, and th ...more
Carmen
Nov 18, 2013 Carmen rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christians
I did not agree with the author of this book. It wasn't that I disagreed with his main concept: that Christians are already forgiven and are going to heaven no matter what they do so they might as well not worry so much and condemn others so much for sinning. He preaches forgiveness and acceptance and that there is no such thing as a 'perfect' Christian.

But I do disagree with him because it is clear throughout the book that he thinks being homosexual is a sin and I do not. He believes in welcom
Vaclav
Dr. Steve Brown has been my mentor for over two years now. I have been greatly blessed through his podcasts "KeyLife Network", "You think about that", and "Steve Brown etc.", and his books "Three free sins", and "Scandalous freedom". I can honestly say that the grace, the truth and the freedom I have come to see and experience during this time have come to me through the ministry of this dear old brother. Jesus Christ is the center and focus of the Holy Bible, and brother Steve keeps it that way ...more
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "Three Free Sins”
Author: Steve Brown
Published By: Howard Books
Age Recommended: 17+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: A delightfully humorous book by Dr. Steve Brown that shows an interesting insight into religion using both a spiritual and scientific means.
This book was quite interesting and highly entertaining a definite must-read for any that enjoy a light-hearted Christian read.
Laura Schmigel
I've been a Steve Brown fan since before I was a believer, when I ran across his voice roaming the radio dial late at night. It's very easy to hear his voice while reading here about God's great grace. We'll never be good enough. Praise God, Jesus is. And because He is, we should cut each other (and ourselves) a little slack. Enjoy His love and extend it to others.
Bryan Robinson
I enjoyed this one. He makes me laugh and hits me with true truth.

Three Free Sins - Steve Brown
April 6, 2012

1. p24 - When people tell me their secrets, my response is often: “So? You thought Jesus didn’t have to die for you? You thought you surprised a God who had perspiration on his upper lip and high hopes for your success?”

2. p33 - It is a short trip between convictions and self-righteousness. And the real problem is that one hardly ever remembers making the trip.

3. p70 - A reporter asked Bil
Josh
I liked this book, I just feel the author took too long in explaining the premise and main argument of this book and I got tired of some of the melodrama. I understand though that he felt the need to go to the extreme in order to get through to many Christians out there who refuse to let to of their slavery to works and acting "good".
I feel that this could cause a revolutionary change and empowering of Christians' lives. Putting into practice though will certainly be hard for some (myself inclu
Mark
I tried really hard... but the sledgehammer approach to corrective Biblical teaching (even laced with humor & personal insight) was just too much. I think that in attempting to counteract legalism & crippling guilt, the author ends up pounding his point endlessly - or at least as far as I could get.

I don't know how to rate it fairly - two stars may be too low, but I can't finish the book despite multiple tries and can't in good conscience give it three stars.
Jessica
This deserves a longer review than I can type from my phone...but suffice it to say that I found his title gimicky and the book dangerously shallow in spots. His ultimate point is that Chriatians worry too much about obedience and not sinning, when, in fact, God views us now as righteous. Agreed. but he skirts around some important aspects of spiritual growth and discipleship. Unfortunately, the book read like a series of quips and rants...to me.
David
This book is like cold water to a parched soul. If you are not a Christian, Steve shares the hope you've been looking for. If you are a Christian, especially one of many years, you need this book to remind you of the kernel of your faith - grace. The flesh, the I-earn-everything-I-get mentality, the legalistic heart, the religious soul, all need smacked upside the head with Steve's truth.
Barbara Cook
Although I do not agree with everything mr. Brown is saying on his book, I so agree with much of it. We can't be good enough to get to heaven. Who measures that stuff anyway? I do believe that Christ paid it all and my sins are forgiven....all of them. I do think I love Him because He first loved me and because I love Him, I want to walk with Him. I am not good. I am forgiven.
Vincent
I was going to buy four of these books so I would have 12 free sins. but I'm too cheap! thankfully the book actually says we have an unlimited number of sins. if that makes you mad, youll want to read the book.
Joseph
Loved the book. My experience has been that most "serious" Christians don't understand justification. This book was like drinking a cold glass of water on a hot day. If you have struggled with the fact that your life has been less than sinless, this will help put it into perspective. God realizes that those he saves are not sinless, they are sinners!
Michael Banh
I actually loved this book by Steve Brown. Some may not agree with his theology and call him an antinomianist, but I found this book to be freeing and comforting! I'm a natural legalist and when I fail, boy do I fall hard, but Steve has come alongside me in this book and helped me back up and shown me that Jesus loves the screw up and the type A jerk!
Lori
Love, love Steve Brown's books and daily programs. I can't hear what he has to say enough! I thank God for the ability to let go a little more because of the truths taught by him. I find that I need to continue to hear the same truth over and over again to find peace. Steve's book is one I'll read over and over again!
Kevin Larose
In this book, Steve Brown proposes the theory that Christians today are focusing far too much on sin, which is getting in the way of worship. If we all just acknowledged that everybody sins (which would free people up from trying to be "perfect"), energy could be diverted to other uses. I'm inclined to agree with him.
Wendy C
Oh that we had more Steve Brown's. Lighthearted, funny, blunt to the point...a different genre than the young, restless and reformed, yet freeing, truly freeing....not a watch every tittle that you do and then try harder but be free, repent and truly ask for heart change. WE NEED MORE STEVE BROWNS.
Luke
What an incredible look at the Gospel. If you look at a lot of what is out there regarding Christianity and "how to behave" this is a refreshing take. Yes, we sin, but it's good to be reminded that Christ covered all our sins, not just the ones we made before we accepted salvation.
Michael Philliber
His style grates my nerves - flippant, breezy, etc. But the subject matter was overall okay. Chapter 7 disturbed me where he seemed to swallow the imperatives of the New Testament into the indicatives so that no imperatives remained (let the reader understand).
Brian Mccumsey
Steve Brown writes with his typical humor and provides a challenging look at the problems in our approach to sin and grace.

If you find yourself constantly obsessing over sin and never thinking about the grace of God I can't think of a better book.
melissa
I really enjoyed the amazing message of this book, especially bc it is so often overlooked in Christian books and the church. His style of writing was not my favorite, and the humor was a bit hokey & predictable- but I still give it 5 stars.
Carol
Okay, Steve Brown, you did it again.....kept me entranced from the beginning to the end....and you reminded me in so many ways of the grace that I receive and the grace that I have the privilege and responsibility to administer.....
Kristen Hatton
I love this author. Through sarcasim and stories he powerfully proclaims truths we all need to hear and get! I used this book for a ladies' 6 week book study and it really was well-recieved and produced lots of great discussion.
Christy
I loved this book! It is really important to remember that we are saved by grace alone--no works can get us closer and no works can get us farther. I am so blessed as a sinner to have the free gift God gives us.

Walter
What if you knew that God really does like you? Not love you, but LIKE you? How would your life be different. Many churches preach grace but live works. This book will set you free.
Lora
This is a great book! Perfect to read each time I need a reminder of who God really is as opposed to who I thought He was. Sometimes I forget He is not mad at me, but loves me madly.
Wendy
The title does not mean what everyone thinks..this is a wise from experience explanation of how much Christ loves us even though we have sinned and continue to sin.
Eric
Brown's provocative title is much what the book is like - he provocatively and lovingly pushes you to grace. It is a refreshing read, especially for legalists.
Doug
one of the best books I read all year---I've read it in the past week.
It's funny, brutally honest and powerfully encouraging! In a word, it's gospelicious!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Sacred Year: Mapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice -- How Contemplating Apples, Living in a Cave, and Befriending a Dying Woman Revived My Life
  • The Ultimate Conversation
  • You Can Begin Again: No Matter What, It's Never Too Late
  • Mere Churchianity: Finding Your Way Back to Jesus-Shaped Spirituality
  • Everything: What You Give and What You Gain to Become Like Jesus
  • Live Original: How the Duck Commander Teen Keeps It Real and Stays True to Her Values
  • The Pressure's Off: There's a New Way to Live
  • Six Weeks to OMG
  • Risk is Right: Better to Lose Your Life Than to Waste It
  • Noah: A Wordless Picture Book
  • Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words
Steve Brown is a radio broadcaster, seminary professor and author. He previously served as a pastor for over twenty-five years and now devotes much of his time to the radio broadcast, Key Life.

With such varied experience and unique perspective on life, Steve is an original. He refuses to be a "guru," doesn't want to be anyone's mother and gives, in his teaching, the freedom to think. Overall, Stev
More about Steve Brown...
A Scandalous Freedom What Was I Thinking?: Things I've Learned Since I Knew It All Carolina Girls How to Talk So People Will Listen Freak Legion: A Player's Guide to Fomori