Start by marking “Springtime for Germany” as Want to Read:
Springtime for Germany

Springtime for Germany

2.97 of 5 stars 2.97  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Unable to resist the advances of the world's first travel therapist, Ben Donald goes where few holidaymakers and so-called travellers have wanted to go - at least not since 1945. He lays bare and disproves (most) stereotypes about our German friends and falls back in love with travel.
Published 2007 by Little Brown

To ask other readers questions about Springtime for Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Springtime for Germany

Sho
Feb 13, 2011 Sho rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: travel-writing
I love travel writing. I love Germany. How could I resist this one?

I wish I had resisted it. It started off well with promise but soon descended into something that is more about the average Brit's (uninformed) attitude towards Germany and the Germans. It boiled down to: it's a big place, they like to get naked and they started two world wars. Sigh. zzzzz.
Natalye
"Springtime for Germany: Or How I Learned to Love Lederhosen" -Ben Donald (2007)

Although I initially had a difficult time getting into this book, after the first few chapters, I was hooked. Not in a page-turning, can't-set-it-down sort of way, but just in the fact that I was learning new and interesting things in every page.

Truth be told, the narratives about the author's personal life and his conversations with his "travel agent" were a bit boring, and I admit I skimmed those parts a bit. But I
Helmutkolsch
Sep 23, 2013 Helmutkolsch rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody outside England
In this book Ben Donald introduces us some interesting themes, or better he would like to do it.

Getting over this book is a tough job. I mean, there are some interesting points and cues, but they are just sketched out and diluted with british humour (bigotry?) which is rather bothersome. Donald seems more at ease in lampooning a theme, rather than developing it. The point is that even lampooning a theme is an art. One cannot simply behave like a kid yelling "poo!" and expect a standing ovation
Oktober
Nach 80 Seiten abgebrochen. Das Buch ist weder witzig noch informativ, dafür strotzt es vor Fehlern.
Christina
Finally finished this book - right before I leave for Germany! Some nice anecdotes about various parts of the country. My only problem with this book was since it was written by a Brit, there were a lot of references to things in England. This was tedious when I didn't get the comment. Otherwise, fun read.
Elaine
Second time around - a look into the soul and culture of Germany.
Muphyn
short review to come.
Stefan Rosenberger
Stefan Rosenberger marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Fruitbat
Fruitbat marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Caroline Kelemen
Caroline Kelemen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Mostafa
Mostafa marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Emily Maccready
Emily Maccready is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2014
Alexandre Klaser
Alexandre Klaser marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Linghong Hu
Linghong Hu marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
Breige
Breige marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2013
Ali
Ali added it
Sep 28, 2013
Nicole Vanderbilt
Nicole Vanderbilt is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2013