Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee

Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  247 ratings  ·  25 reviews
With enough lunch for three, Mr. Magee and his dog Dee head out to the sea. But what begins as a fun day in the sun turns a bit bumpy when onel playful whale decides to say hello. Soon the crew that once was floating finds themselves flying! How will they get down? Who will come to their rescue? And when will they ever get to eat lunch? Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee is a...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Chronicle Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee

Pop Bop
Art, Rhymes, Story - It All Comes Together

You know, with kids' picture books you hardly ever get the whole package. There can be beautiful or at least interesting illustrations, but strained and practically amateurish writing and story telling. Or you get a great story, but the drawings are either too idiosyncratic or too mannered to engage your youngster.

This book is a great find because it really does touch all of the bases. The illustrations are bright and colorful with a vaguely 50's look an...more
Crystal Allen
Aug 08, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents looking for a fun book to read aloud
Bright beautiful colors, wonderful lyrical text and fun retro illustrations! This book has it all. So fun to read aloud. Parents and kids alike will love it and spot new things in the illustrations every time they read it!
Lesley
This book and the rest in the series are the BEST children's books. Chris Van Dusen writes and illustrates. Can't recommend them enough!
Adrienne

DOWN BY THE SEA WITH MR. MAGEE
Review
------------------------------
Nowhere near the sea,
A different book next to me,
I did discover
This book by its cover.

Mr. Magee looks so sweet!
The illustrations? Just neat!
The story so magical!
The adventure so whimsical!

But, hark! Oh, the grammar!
A misspelling! Oh, my!
Give four stars the hammer.
Only three stars! Sigh!

Little book you are great!
Few kids will you agitate!
Your story is far from real,
But even kids know that's the deal.

So, sit back and enjoy the...more
Crystal Lockhart
I read Down to the Sea with Magee by Chris Van Dusen as one of my Tumblebook choices. This was a fun book to read/listen too. Magee and his dog decided they wanted to go out on the boat. They ended up meeting a group of whales and one of them, by mistake, landed them in a tree. To get out of the tree the group of whales came by and helped them get of the tree. They ended their day, happy, eating their lunch for dinner at home.

It was really interesting to see a book in this format. I thought t...more
Dawn
One of my favorite kid books to read with my daughter. Illustrations are beautiful and it has a fun rhyming rhythem while keeping you connected to the story. His others are pretty good too; Camping Spree and Learning to Ski. But The Down to the Sea is our favorite.
On a side note; I ordered the book on Amazon and when I received it I found it was autographed by the author! What a treasure keeper.
Cemeread
A rhyming story of a man and his dog spending the day in his boat and a mischievous whale. Illustrations set in the 50s(?) Good for an ocean themed story time or whales as children will learn several facts about them.
Amy
I think that Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee is a cute rhyming story. I liked it. It didn't register at all on my niece and nephew's radar. They were not interested. I was surprised, because I know that they liked some of Chris Van Dusen's other works, such as The Circus Ship and If I Built a Car. This one lacks some of the dazzle of Circus Ship or If I Built a Car, but still, I thought they'd enjoy the story. Huh. Go figure.
Kevin
Loved the book about camping so I read this one. It is equally great and funny. Great illustrations.
Loren
I am a huge fan of all the Mr. Magee books! Be sure to check them all out. Mr. Magee and his dog Dee set out in their boat for a calm day on the water. While they admire a pod of whales, a stray comes up from underneath their boat and gives a big blow. The boat goes flying through the air and lands in a tree. Eventually, the whales come to their rescue and Mr. Magee and Dee return safely home after their crazy adventure. The momentum of the story is fast, and the rhyming text is sure to delight...more
Kellie
The kids loved it. They have even asked me to find more Mr. Magee books. The rhyming verse hooked them from the start, and they enjoyed the colorful illustrations. They also had fun making predictions at different point in the story.
Alice
Not my favorite Chris Van Dusen book but good all the same. The story is always fun and the pictures are great!! Good for a read-a-loud or for an older reader. I love MR. Magee camping spree and this book was a let down. I do like how that whales save him in the end!!!
Isabella
Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee—picture book
I enjoyed this simple story told in rhyme, and accompanied by vivid and alluring illustrations. I’m sure that, what with its silly and colorful nature, children must eat these Chris Van D. books right up!
Stefani
Fun adventure with Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee. The illustrations are well done and colorful. Most of the rhymes were smooth and fun to read. However, the last couplet just felt lame compared to the excitement of the rest of the book.
Lyla
We LOVE this book and all of Chris Van Dusen's books. They are wonderful, creative and fun books. I love watching my children find the dog in every section. They beam smiles at me while holding this book knowing i'll read it to them.
Angela
Love the cartoon-style illustrations (dogs and hats on every page made it a fave with my toddler). I have a weakness for stories told in verse, and this was a particularly fun-to-read and entertaining one.
Cynthia
His new favorite word is Belize! Try explaining what Belize is/means to a 23 month old! We pulled out a map, but it was like talking in circles.
Page
Another great book-I love reading aloud this author's book. the rhyming and rhythm are great and the story lines are funny.
Sophie Landrum
Oh we love this book. It takes us right home to Maine. The illustrations and rhymes are irresistible.
Chelsea
'Mr. Magee and his dog Dee'...we love reading rhyme!! Great book, fun and exciting story.
Lindsay Ruiz
I love to read this one to my kids. The illustrations are great and I love the rhythm of the book.
Monica
Van Dusen can tell a fun tale and rhyme with the best of them!
Lorna
Van Dusen's rhyming text and fun pictures are always a treat to read.
Samantha
Another awesome picture book.
PWRL
Apr 19, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2013-new
O
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Dirty Joe, the Pirate: A True Story
  • Fancy Nancy: Explorer Extraordinaire!
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Bunny Cakes
  • Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach (Scaredy Squirrel)
  • Waking Beauty
  • Prudence Wants a Pet
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • Those Darn Squirrels!
  • Plump And Perky Turkey, A
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
Chris Van Dusen writes: “I was born in Portland, Maine, on St. Patrick’s Day, 1960. As a child, my brothers and I would spend hours drawing pictures. We didn’t have video games or computers to entertain us, so we drew instead. One of my brothers would sketch intricate war scenes. Another would draw animals so realistic you’d swear they were breathing. My specialty was aliens, robots, and monsters....more
More about Chris Van Dusen...
The Circus Ship If I Built a Car A Camping Spree with Mr. Magee Randy Riley's Really Big Hit If I Built a House