Start by marking “Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee” as Want to Read:
Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee

Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee (Mr. Magee)

4.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  418 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
With enough lunch for three, Mr. Magee and his dog Dee head out to the sea. But what begins as a fun day in the sun turns a bit bumpy when onel playful whale decides to say hello. Soon the crew that once was floating finds themselves flying! How will they get down? Who will come to their rescue? And when will they ever get to eat lunch? Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee is a ...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Chronicle Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee

Pop Bop
Jul 04, 2014 Pop Bop rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Art, Rhymes, Story - It All Comes Together

You know, with kids' picture books you hardly ever get the whole package. There can be beautiful or at least interesting illustrations, but strained and practically amateurish writing and story telling. Or you get a great story, but the drawings are either too idiosyncratic or too mannered to engage your youngster.

This book is a great find because it really does touch all of the bases. The illustrations are bright and colorful with a vaguely 50's look an
Bea
I've read a few of Van Dusen's books at the schools where I've taught but what I didn't realize at first was that he was from my home town. My home town has produced several author/illustrators of children's books and I enjoy reading them when I come across their books. This was available in my library's ebook collection so I downloaded it to my Kindle Fire.

"Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee" has a humorous story, that's just a bit over the top, a rhyming flowing text, and bright, beautifully detai
Crystal Allen
Aug 08, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents looking for a fun book to read aloud
Bright beautiful colors, wonderful lyrical text and fun retro illustrations! This book has it all. So fun to read aloud. Parents and kids alike will love it and spot new things in the illustrations every time they read it!
Lesley
Apr 03, 2009 Lesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and the rest in the series are the BEST children's books. Chris Van Dusen writes and illustrates. Can't recommend them enough!
Adrienne

DOWN BY THE SEA WITH MR. MAGEE
Review
------------------------------
Nowhere near the sea,
A different book next to me,
I did discover
This book by its cover.

Mr. Magee looks so sweet!
The illustrations? Just neat!
The story so magical!
The adventure so whimsical!

But, hark! Oh, the grammar!
A misspelling! Oh, my!
Give four stars the hammer.
Only three stars! Sigh!

Little book you are great!
Few kids will you agitate!
Your story is far from real,
But even kids know that's the deal.

So, sit back and enjoy the
Crystal Lockhart
I read Down to the Sea with Magee by Chris Van Dusen as one of my Tumblebook choices. This was a fun book to read/listen too. Magee and his dog decided they wanted to go out on the boat. They ended up meeting a group of whales and one of them, by mistake, landed them in a tree. To get out of the tree the group of whales came by and helped them get of the tree. They ended their day, happy, eating their lunch for dinner at home.

It was really interesting to see a book in this format. I thought t
Dawn
Mar 18, 2014 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite kid books to read with my daughter. Illustrations are beautiful and it has a fun rhyming rhythem while keeping you connected to the story. His others are pretty good too; Camping Spree and Learning to Ski. But The Down to the Sea is our favorite.
On a side note; I ordered the book on Amazon and when I received it I found it was autographed by the author! What a treasure keeper.
Shannen Mitchell Magee
Considering it has our last name (spelled correctly) and is a tale of Mr. Magee and his dog and their fishing exhibition - well, it is the perfect fit. A great easy to read, fun children's book. The whole Mr. Magee series is fantastic but this with the fishing/dog inclusion is a perfect fit for our family. FUN!
Phillip Lemons
May 27, 2016 Phillip Lemons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-books
This is just a fun, silly story. Adventures don't always go there way we planned, but they can still be fun. The artwork is fantastic and the story reads easily with a nice rhythm. The only complaint I have is some of the black text was hard to read on dark blue pages.
Lynn
Jun 29, 2016 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Action and suspense tale told in rhyme provide a fun read for youngsters with fun, colorful illustrations.
Chris Van Dusen does a great 'visiting author' presentation at our elementary school, and still have an affordable price for Maine schools!
Cemeread
A rhyming story of a man and his dog spending the day in his boat and a mischievous whale. Illustrations set in the 50s(?) Good for an ocean themed story time or whales as children will learn several facts about them.
Kim Nelson
Jun 08, 2016 Kim Nelson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another rhyming adventure for Mr. McGee and his dog Dee. They decide to go boating in the ocean. A playful whale causes a situation for Mr. McGee. The pod of whales later helps Mr. McGee.
Andrea Campbell
Mar 02, 2015 Andrea Campbell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: silly, marine-life
A fun story about a man and his dog who find themselves stuck in a boat at the top of a tree. The illustrations in this book are phenomenal and would really interest children and adults alike.
The Brothers
Jan 23, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: boats, dogs, oceans, picnics, whales
A very charming rhyme about Mr. Magee and his dog Dee going down to the sea for a day of boating. They come across some whales, and a more mischievous whale ends up derailing all the plans they had for the day.

Delightful illustrations.
Amy
Jan 04, 2012 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I think that Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee is a cute rhyming story. I liked it. It didn't register at all on my niece and nephew's radar. They were not interested. I was surprised, because I know that they liked some of Chris Van Dusen's other works, such as The Circus Ship and If I Built a Car. This one lacks some of the dazzle of Circus Ship or If I Built a Car, but still, I thought they'd enjoy the story. Huh. Go figure.
Brendon
Feb 18, 2016 Brendon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of my favourite books to read aloud to kids. Great pictures and great text combine to produce a delightful story.
Kristin King
Jan 19, 2015 Kristin King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lil Man liked that it had details and whales that helped Mr. Magee, and that the whale was trying to play with them.
Kevin
Feb 10, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the book about camping so I read this one. It is equally great and funny. Great illustrations.
pati
Mr. Magee in his debut book, and Dee too! A whale of a good time!
Meaghan Laura
Mar 04, 2015 Meaghan Laura rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
Good longer book. Creative plot and good rhyming
Loren
Jul 01, 2010 Loren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge fan of all the Mr. Magee books! Be sure to check them all out. Mr. Magee and his dog Dee set out in their boat for a calm day on the water. While they admire a pod of whales, a stray comes up from underneath their boat and gives a big blow. The boat goes flying through the air and lands in a tree. Eventually, the whales come to their rescue and Mr. Magee and Dee return safely home after their crazy adventure. The momentum of the story is fast, and the rhyming text is sure to delight ...more
Alice
May 09, 2012 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Chris Van Dusen book but good all the same. The story is always fun and the pictures are great!! Good for a read-a-loud or for an older reader. I love MR. Magee camping spree and this book was a let down. I do like how that whales save him in the end!!!
Isabella
Down to the Sea with Mr. Magee—picture book
I enjoyed this simple story told in rhyme, and accompanied by vivid and alluring illustrations. I’m sure that, what with its silly and colorful nature, children must eat these Chris Van D. books right up!
Stefani
May 05, 2011 Stefani rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-picture
Fun adventure with Mr. Magee and his little dog Dee. The illustrations are well done and colorful. Most of the rhymes were smooth and fun to read. However, the last couplet just felt lame compared to the excitement of the rest of the book.
Kellie
Apr 22, 2015 Kellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, fiction
The kids loved it. They have even asked me to find more Mr. Magee books. The rhyming verse hooked them from the start, and they enjoyed the colorful illustrations. They also had fun making predictions at different point in the story.
Angela
Jul 16, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Love the cartoon-style illustrations (dogs and hats on every page made it a fave with my toddler). I have a weakness for stories told in verse, and this was a particularly fun-to-read and entertaining one.
Cynthia
Mar 07, 2010 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jack-s-books
His new favorite word is Belize! Try explaining what Belize is/means to a 23 month old! We pulled out a map, but it was like talking in circles.
Page
Jan 08, 2008 Page rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: logans-books
Another great book-I love reading aloud this author's book. the rhyming and rhythm are great and the story lines are funny.
Sophie Landrum
Aug 08, 2007 Sophie Landrum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh we love this book. It takes us right home to Maine. The illustrations and rhymes are irresistible.
Chelsea
'Mr. Magee and his dog Dee'...we love reading rhyme!! Great book, fun and exciting story.
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Hilda Must Be Dancing
  • President Taft Is Stuck in the Bath
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • The Imaginary Garden
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Calvin Can't Fly: The Story of a Bookworm Birdie
  • Everything but the Horse
  • Augustine
  • Memoirs of a Goldfish
  • Carnivores
  • Clothesline Clues to Jobs People Do
  • Bee-bim Bop!
  • A Plump And Perky Turkey
Chris Van Dusen writes: “I was born in Portland, Maine, on St. Patrick’s Day, 1960. As a child, my brothers and I would spend hours drawing pictures. We didn’t have video games or computers to entertain us, so we drew instead. One of my brothers would sketch intricate war scenes. Another would draw animals so realistic you’d swear they were breathing. My specialty was aliens, robots, and monsters. ...more
More about Chris Van Dusen...

Mr. Magee (3 books)