Start by marking “ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy” as Want to Read:
ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

ACT Made Simple: An Easy-To-Read Primer on Acceptance and Commitment Therapy

Internationally-known acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT) trainer Russ Harris presents ACT Made Simple, a complete, accessible guide for therapists interested in understanding the ACT model and teaching core ACT principles to their clients.
Published November 1st 2009 by New Harbinger Publications (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about ACT Made Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about ACT Made Simple

Jeremy
Dec 21, 2016 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work, act

Quotes:

Clients have a hard time shifting from a problem-solving mode into a mindful appreciation mode.

ACT assumes that (a) quality of life is primarily dependent upon mindful, values-guided action, and (b) this is possible regardless of how many symptoms you have - provided that you respond to your symptoms with mindfulness.

ACT regards the mind as a double-edged sword. It's very useful for all sorts of purposes, but if we don't learn how to handle it effectively, it will hurt us.

The aim of ACT,
Cyndi
Sep 26, 2011 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be an excellent, accessible primer on ACT. ACT now is recognized by the APA as having strong research support for chronic pain and modest but growing support for many other problems. Use of this approach is likely to grow, especially with books like this one by Russ Harris. The first few chapters give a clear, concise frame of reference for understanding the theory, background, and essential concepts. The layout of the book makes it easy to jump to the content you want to referen ...more
Deb
Aug 31, 2013 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Jump on in.**

I’m a fan of ACT.

I jumped on the ACT bandwagon after being introduced to it during a clinical training, and I’ve been riding it ever since. To me, the core philosophy of ACT just makes sense: be present, open up, and do what matters.

I’ve read several books on ACT, and this one stands out as the most concise and usable one. In addition to distilling ACT down to its essential components, it provides clinical transcripts and worksheets galore to help you jump right in to the ACTion.
John Lockhart
Jan 03, 2014 John Lockhart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is extremely useful as a resource if u want to try ACT but presents ACT as original and better than alternatives and I don't think I buy those presumptions. I think the emphasis on ACT as theoretically proven and scientifically confirmed (at least that's how it comes across to me) is arrogant. I think the assumption that any approach that seeks to change thoughts and feelings is not workable because "you've been trying them for years and they haven't worked" is logically flawed and whi ...more
William Berry
Jun 29, 2016 William Berry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is written for therapists, to apply ACT in the therapeutic process with their clients. Though geared for therapists, the language is simple, and I believe anyone who wants to apply ACT to oneself would find the book helpful (though not a substitute for therapy).
The book is well written, gives plenty of techniques, handouts, and tools a therapist will be able to use in therapy. As a practitioner of mindfulness based therapy, (ACT is one mindfulness based therapy) I found the book inter
Evan Micheals
ACT to me is a good attempt to meld the best of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with the best of Mindfulness. The language is quite dry and formulaic, but a darn sight better than a lot of other books of therapeutic modalities. It is a good starting point for people with an interest in ACT. Harris also provides a number of links to resources he provides for free :) He intentionally keeps it free of didactic theory underpinning the techniques. ACT is a worthy tool for anyone working with people in a ...more
Michael
Apr 24, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick read and useful introduction to ACT. Each chapter has exercises to use for clients and ends with exercises to do for yourself, which makes it easy to start using ACT immediately. It's also great that you can get the handouts for free from his website, if you're a handouts kind of therapist. Highly recommend to anyone interested in therapy and particularly people that may have tried more manualized versions of ACT.
Cecilia
Mar 24, 2014 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Very concrete instruction on how you can start incorporating ACT into your therapeutic work. Very cool to find a theoretical standpoint that I have already intuitively been using. I wanted to see a little bit more about overcoming obstacles in there, but really enjoyed this thought-provoking primer and the accompanying worksheets and resources!
Drew
Jul 18, 2016 Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Superb introduction to ACT with a emphasis on introduction. Also great for already practicing practitioners for a helpful list of experiential exercises to facilitate the different processes of ACT. This is the book I recommend to my colleges who are even slightly interested in ACT (or happiness trap depending on who I'm recommending too). That said I also recommend it to you.
Alexis
May 25, 2010 Alexis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleverbooks
This was a great book for getting an overview of the ACT method using mindfulness. It is great it can offer some new ways of looking at things and is not quite as invasive as the 7 point mind training or more intensive mindfulness uses.
Richard
Oct 25, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing textbook covering the basic foundations of ACT. It was the companion book to the Introductory ACT accreditation I completed with Russ Harris in Feb of 2013 and makes the concepts and the practical use of ACT so much easier to understand.
Mie
Dec 16, 2015 Mie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very very practical book! Great for counseling-learners . This book was the textbook of counseling class.
Olwen
Oct 05, 2013 Olwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counselling
Borrowed this book from the library; so useful I've ordered my own copy. Easy to read and understand, and systematically laid out.
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2013
Kristy
Kristy rated it really liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Lana Beifuss
Lana Beifuss rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2016
Justine
Justine rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2016
Rob Same
Rob Same rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2013
Cat Goyeneche
Cat Goyeneche rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
Haggai
Haggai rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Ah
Ah rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2013
Chris Engel
Chris Engel rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Feb 11, 2014
Nancy
Nancy rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
tangle triangle
tangle triangle rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Ana
Ana rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2016
Heather Branstetter
Heather Branstetter rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2016
Carson Burke
Carson Burke rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
E
E rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Learning ACT: An Acceptance and Commitment Therapy Skills-Training Manual for Therapists
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change
  • Things Might Go Terribly, Horribly Wrong: A Guide to Life Liberated from Anxiety
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • Verbal Behavior
  • The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, And Distress Tolerance
  • The Heart & Soul of Change: Delivering What Works in Therapy
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder
  • Windows to Our Children
  • Behavior Modification: What It Is and How to Do It
  • Attachment in Psychotherapy
  • The User's Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic and What We Can Do about It
Dr Russ Harris is a medically-qualified doctor, stress consultant, executive coach, trainer, author, and a leading authority in the powerful new paradigm of Psychological Flexibility. (This is a revolutionary new development in human psychology that enhances performance, reduces stress, and improves health and wellbeing.) Dr Russ regularly presents workshops on Psychological Flexibility at both na ...more
More about Russ Harris...