Start by marking “Mr. Pudgins” as Want to Read:

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  148 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"Wild and wacky things happen when Mr. Pudgins comes to sit for John, Pete, and Jane. Strangely enough, they happen only when Mr. Pudgins smokes his pipe. Faucets run soda pop instead of water. The old Model T suddenly rides on the lake like a speedboat. And playmates step right out of the mirror!"
Published by Scholastic (first published 1951)

Win a Copy of This Book

Mr. Pudgins
    You’ve never met a babysitter like Mr. Pudgins!

When Mr. Pudgins comes to watch John, Pete, and Janey, all kinds of crazy things happen. Faucets run so…more
    Giveaway dates: Apr 28 - May 26, 2015
    20 copies available, 170 people requesting
    Countries available: US
  • Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pudgins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pudgins

The Story About Ping by Marjorie FlackMillions of Cats by Wanda GágFive Children and It by E. NesbitThe Little House by Virginia Lee BurtonThe Adventures of Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
    Best Children's Books Most People Haven't Heard of...
    112th out of 808 books — 614 voters
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
    Fantasy Classics
    126th out of 151 books — 267 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne
    This is one of those books that I think everyone who reads it once remembers it forever, and wishes they had a copy! Mr. Pudgins is a magical babysitter, and the real magic here is the interesting things he is able to make happen. I loved the idea of the taps in the house running soda instead of water, and of the magical Christmas ornaments. It's hard to capture this one in words, but it's a, well, magical book.
    Lisa C
    Apr 26, 2009 Lisa C rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Shelves: kids
    My dad picked this up at a yard sale for me one time, and it was my favorite book for years. Unfortunately, I sold it in a yard sale years ago, and it took me years to track down the name again. It's also worth too much money for it to be likely I'll get another copy. I do still wish I had soda faucets, though.
    Lenny Husen
    I read this as a child, a teenager and an adult. OK, so he is kind of "a male Mary Poppins" as my therapist said when I raved about this book. But it truly is funny and like other books in the genre, there is magic mixed with realism as only an adult who has kids and also can write can produce.
    Daniel Brandon
    I read this a long time ago, when I was fairly young, and was reminded of it a little while back, so I went and tracked down a copy. All I had really remembered was that it was kind of Mary Poppins-ish, and that I had enjoyed it.

Reading it now, as an adult, I notice that while good, it's written to a younger age than I had remembered. It's not young adult; this is straight out Children's Lit. This slots roughly into that slew of books that one would encounter soon after you have the option to st
    Alice
    My 4th-grade student teacher read this to us and I loved it. We acted out the soda-from-the-faucets story in class. I'd love to revisit this book again, but it's out of print...hmmm...
    Me
    This was one of my favorite books from childhood. I still remember when Mr. Pudgins adapted each of the faucets in the house to gush out different flavors of soda pop.
    Valerie Stegman
    One of best books for young children.
    Loved it as my big sister read to me when I was little. Loving it now as I read it to my daughter.
    Valerie
    My favorite children's book. Nothing will beat it, ever.
    Jessica
    I had two favorite books that my mom read to me as a child. This was one of them. They also happened to be childhood favorites of hers. While times have changed dramatically, this book still holds up as a charming "Mary Poppins" of sorts. I love it (and my other favorite) so much that I found and bought copies of them both. They have a place of honor in my nightstand bookshelf, where only my most treasured stories are kept.
    Crystal Allen
    Jun 26, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: Everyone
    This was my favorite book growing up. I read it over and over and over again. I recently found my old copy in my parents basement and finally have it at home again. Mr. Pudgins is a babysitter and when he puffs on his magic pipe wonderful things happens (this all sounds rather suspect to now that I'm an adult but trust me, as a child it was great.)

My favorite chapter was when the family was having plumbing problems and Mr. Pudgins made pop pour from the faucets instead of water. One sink ran or
    Nathaniel Mckenzie
    It was really funny.
    Elizabeth
    Nothing can be more fun than to spend the summer being watched by a man who makes bathtubs fly, soda pop come out of the faucets, and removes the steering wheel, while in motion, so the children can drive while sitting on the passenger side of the car. Mr. Pudgins, along with Anabelle and Dodo, entertain the reader and Janey, John and Pete from the first page. Delightfully told, Mr. Pudgins is one of the best children's books I remember being read to as a child and one I will definitely read to ...more
    Kim
    I read this when I was a kid and had forgotten about it. I was reminded of the book the other day when I was reading an article about popular children's books from the 1960s and '70s. Based on the happiness I recall this book bringing me all those years ago, I'm giving it 5 stars. Besides, just look at the cover. Who can't love a man smoking a pipe and flying in a bathtub with a bunch of gleeful kids?
    Carrie
    Aug 21, 2010 Carrie rated it 3 of 5 stars
    Shelves: kids
    This is in the "magical nanny" genre, notable because the babysitter is an old man. The fact that Mr. Pudgins drives a Model T and has a Dodo bird might clue you in to its old-fashioned-ness, but its imaginative stories still hold up. I also like the first-person perspective: It's narrated by John, the oldest child of the three under Mr. Pudgins' care.

(Published 1951)
    Ursula
    Sara
    This is my all time favorite book!!! My mom read it to me and my brother as kids and I read it every year to my class. It is very hard to find this book in print, but it is well worth the hunt!!
    Angie
    Jul 13, 2009 Angie rated it 2 of 5 stars
    Recommends it for: parents to read to their children
    This book was a cute story that you'd read to your kids. It reminded me of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. Which in my opinion was much better. But still, a cute kids story.
    Jill
    Apr 20, 2011 Jill rated it 5 of 5 stars
    Shelves: jill
    Absolutely, positively the most incredible children's story book. I grew up wishing Mr. Pudgins would visit my home. Someday he just might. :)
    Feliks
    Unchaperoned middle-aged men spending the weekend alone babysitting a neighbor's kids? No references? For free? Just doesn't happen.
    Hannah
    another one that i read to pieces! out of print now but it was hilarious fun while it lasted
    frigmonkeyin awesome!
    Deborah
    I read this in elementary school and really enjoyed it! Read it to your children or grandchildren!
    Laurie
    I read this book as a child and it was always a favorite. It still is. I highly recommend it.
    Katie Kempski
    This is one of the strangest children's books I've ever read...
    Fjóla
    Apr 28, 2015 Fjóla marked it as to-read
    Awesome! This once popular book is now being reprinted!
    Judah
    I like this book. I find it very funny and amusing.
    bbluekitty
    Originally published 1951; my copy was published 1968.
    Janice
    Absolutely delightful. My kids loved it.
    Elizabeth
    Mr. Pudgins by Ruth Christoffer Carlsen (1951)
    It keeps your attention. Quite amusing.
    Frankgmcl
    • Sea Legs
    • The Ghost Next Door
    • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
    • Six Innings
    • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
    • The Little Leftover Witch
    • The Tapper Twins Go to War (With Each Other)
    • The Secret Chicken Society
    • The Master Key
    • The Return of the Twelves
    She was born in Milwaukee, WI, on February 21, 1918 to Carl Severin and Lydia Diefenthaler Christoffer. Ruth grew up in Chicago, Mason City, and Minneapolis. She graduated from the University of Minnesota in journalism with honors and after graduation was appointed assistance to the Dean of Women and a year of post-graduate studies. She married G. Robert Carlsen on April 5, 1941 in Minneapolis, MN ...more
    More about Ruth Christoffer Carlsen...
    Hildy and the Cuckoo Clock Monty and the Tree House Henrietta Goes West: The Adventures Of An Amazing Car Ride A Wild Horse Sometimes It's Up