Start by marking “Mr. Pudgins” as Want to Read:
Mr. Pudgins

Mr. Pudgins

"Wild and wacky things happen when Mr. Pudgins comes to sit for John, Pete, and Jane. Strangely enough, they happen only when Mr. Pudgins smokes his pipe. Faucets run soda pop instead of water. The old Model T suddenly rides on the lake like a speedboat. And playmates step right out of the mirror!"
Published by Scholastic (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Pudgins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Pudgins

Jun 07, 2012 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that I think everyone who reads it once remembers it forever, and wishes they had a copy! Mr. Pudgins is a magical babysitter, and the real magic here is the interesting things he is able to make happen. I loved the idea of the taps in the house running soda instead of water, and of the magical Christmas ornaments. It's hard to capture this one in words, but it's a, well, magical book.
Lenny Husen
Jul 27, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it it was amazing
I read this as a child, a teenager and an adult. OK, so he is kind of "a male Mary Poppins" as my therapist said when I raved about this book. But it truly is funny and like other books in the genre, there is magic mixed with realism as only an adult who has kids and also can write can produce.
Lisa C
Apr 26, 2009 Lisa C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My dad picked this up at a yard sale for me one time, and it was my favorite book for years. Unfortunately, I sold it in a yard sale years ago, and it took me years to track down the name again. It's also worth too much money for it to be likely I'll get another copy. I do still wish I had soda faucets, though.
Valerie Stegman
Apr 14, 2010 Valerie Stegman rated it it was amazing
One of best books for young children.
Loved it as my big sister read to me when I was little. Loving it now as I read it to my daughter.
Jan 29, 2011 Me rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books from childhood. I still remember when Mr. Pudgins adapted each of the faucets in the house to gush out different flavors of soda pop.
Jan 13, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
My 4th-grade student teacher read this to us and I loved it. We acted out the soda-from-the-faucets story in class. I'd love to revisit this book again, but it's out of print...hmmm...
Jun 12, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Feb 10, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, best
My favorite children's book. Nothing will beat it, ever.
Daniel Brandon
I read this a long time ago, when I was fairly young, and was reminded of it a little while back, so I went and tracked down a copy. All I had really remembered was that it was kind of Mary Poppins-ish, and that I had enjoyed it.

Reading it now, as an adult, I notice that while good, it's written to a younger age than I had remembered. It's not young adult; this is straight out Children's Lit. This slots roughly into that slew of books that one would encounter soon after you have the option to st
Crystal Allen
Jun 26, 2007 Crystal Allen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was my favorite book growing up. I read it over and over and over again. I recently found my old copy in my parents basement and finally have it at home again. Mr. Pudgins is a babysitter and when he puffs on his magic pipe wonderful things happens (this all sounds rather suspect to now that I'm an adult but trust me, as a child it was great.)

My favorite chapter was when the family was having plumbing problems and Mr. Pudgins made pop pour from the faucets instead of water. One sink ran or
Joyce Lansky
Jun 05, 2015 Joyce Lansky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Pudgins was one of my favorite books from childhood, and I always wanted a babysitter like the one John, Pete, and Janey had. I don't know which chapter is my favorite. The mirror children would be fun but so would flying in a bathtub. And of course that goofy dodo bird is memorable, too. I had read this book to a class years ago, and they loved it. I guess that proves the ageless and timelessness of Mr. Pudgins.

I also love the illustrations in this book. This seems to be one of those things
Jun 13, 2016 Anne rated it really liked it
I would class this book with things like Ruth Chew's fantasies and, possibly, the Mrs Piggle-Wiggle books. This one has a similar sense of humor and playfulness as those do. I think (I'm far from a skilled judge at such things) that this is a step or three harder to read than most of Chew's books, but that may just be me looking at the relatives lengths of the books.

It's been quite a while since I read this, so I really can't judge how well it has aged in terms of things like gender roles. I sup
Aug 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-fiction
Nothing can be more fun than to spend the summer being watched by a man who makes bathtubs fly, soda pop come out of the faucets, and removes the steering wheel, while in motion, so the children can drive while sitting on the passenger side of the car. Mr. Pudgins, along with Anabelle and Dodo, entertain the reader and Janey, John and Pete from the first page. Delightfully told, Mr. Pudgins is one of the best children's books I remember being read to as a child and one I will definitely read to ...more
Jan 09, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it
This is a perfect book for kids who like Mary Poppins or Miss Picket. Instead of being a governess with an umbrella or a babysitter with black-rimmed glasses, Mr Pudgins is a babysitter who smokes a pipe. Each chapter is a stand-alone adventure, so the book is good for a night time read aloud. At the end of the book (after 12 chapters), it's fun to choose the adventure that appeals to the kids the most.
Sep 28, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing
I had two favorite books that my mom read to me as a child. This was one of them. They also happened to be childhood favorites of hers. While times have changed dramatically, this book still holds up as a charming "Mary Poppins" of sorts. I love it (and my other favorite) so much that I found and bought copies of them both. They have a place of honor in my nightstand bookshelf, where only my most treasured stories are kept.
Mar 22, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was a kid and had forgotten about it. I was reminded of the book the other day when I was reading an article about popular children's books from the 1960s and '70s. Based on the happiness I recall this book bringing me all those years ago, I'm giving it 5 stars. Besides, just look at the cover. Who can't love a man smoking a pipe and flying in a bathtub with a bunch of gleeful kids?
May 18, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I have recently revisited this favorite from my childhood with my grandchildren. They were just as enthralled as I had been by Mr. Pudgins and the adventures that happened with the three children whenever he smoked his pipe. Hopefully, they will remember into childhood the faucets that began to spew different kinds of pop instead of water and the mirror children who stepped out to play or one of the many fun events in Mr. Pudgins.
Aug 21, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is in the "magical nanny" genre, notable because the babysitter is an old man. The fact that Mr. Pudgins drives a Model T and has a Dodo bird might clue you in to its old-fashioned-ness, but its imaginative stories still hold up. I also like the first-person perspective: It's narrated by John, the oldest child of the three under Mr. Pudgins' care.

(Published 1951)
Nicole Clinton
Jul 25, 2015 Nicole Clinton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of this book for free on the Goodreads giveaway. My oldest daughter is 7 and she had a great time reading this. It kept her interested and we spent time reading it together. It was such a great book! Thank you :)
Elizabeth S
How awesome to have an old classic republished. Especially one that I never encountered before. Awesome book, similar to Mary Poppins (the book) and Half Magic.

I received a copy of this book for free from the Goodreads FirstReads program. Thank you!
Dec 03, 2013 Feliks rated it liked it
Shelves: genre-kids
Unchaperoned middle-aged men spending the weekend alone babysitting a neighbor's kids? No references? For free? Just doesn't happen.
Very much along the same lines as Nanny McPhee and Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. Its a wonderful whimsical book, terrific if you have children that age. I would totally read this to my kids!
Sep 08, 2009 Hannah rated it it was amazing
another one that i read to pieces! out of print now but it was hilarious fun while it lasted
frigmonkeyin awesome!
Jul 13, 2009 Angie rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: parents to read to their children
This book was a cute story that you'd read to your kids. It reminded me of Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle. Which in my opinion was much better. But still, a cute kids story.
Nov 01, 2009 Sara rated it it was amazing
This is my all time favorite book!!! My mom read it to me and my brother as kids and I read it every year to my class. It is very hard to find this book in print, but it is well worth the hunt!!
Apr 20, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jill
Absolutely, positively the most incredible children's story book. I grew up wishing Mr. Pudgins would visit my home. Someday he just might. :)
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Pye Wacket
Pye Wacket rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2009
Jill rated it it was amazing
Feb 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • What the Witch Left
  • Key to the Treasure
  • Twin Spell
  • Time at the Top
  • Betsy's Little Star
  • Striped Ice Cream
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
  • Winter Cottage
  • The Peterkin Papers
  • A Book of Coupons
  • Julia Gillian And the Quest for Joy
  • The Problem with the Puddles
She was born in Milwaukee, WI, on February 21, 1918 to Carl Severin and Lydia Diefenthaler Christoffer. Ruth grew up in Chicago, Mason City, and Minneapolis. She graduated from the University of Minnesota in journalism with honors and after graduation was appointed assistance to the Dean of Women and a year of post-graduate studies. She married G. Robert Carlsen on April 5, 1941 in Minneapolis, MN ...more
More about Ruth Christoffer Carlsen...