Start by marking “The Barefoot Executive: The Ultimate Guide for Being Your Own Boss and Achieving Financial Freedom” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  307 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
Carrie Wilkerson offers the opportunity to live life on your terms. Want to start your workday with e-mail and coffee on the back patio? Want the flexibility of joining your fourth grader on an all-day field trip? Are you ready to take that vacation you've been planning for years? Then you have a choice to make, and The Barefoot Executive will help jump-start your transiti ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Thomas Nelson Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Barefoot Executive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Barefoot Executive

Cheryl C.
May 30, 2012 Cheryl C. rated it really liked it
The Barefoot Executive isn't a how-to book that takes you step-by-step through how to start your own business. Instead, it is a book that motivates and encourages your dreams. You'll discover how to take skills you already have, determine what business model you're interested in, and how to be successful in the marketplace. Even in crowded markets you can be successful because you are unique and offer your own unique perspective. You can provide the answers to the questions people are asking.

Wi
penny shima glanz
I was pleasantly surprised. There are lots you can gloss over but there are nuggets that stopped me short and made me rethink my mindset. It isn't syrupy, it isn't all "look-at-me! I make X million a day and I suckered you into buying (or library borrowing) and taking the time (aka $) to read it and there isn't much in it". There is much in it. While the book isn't perfect (something about it is tugging at me but I'm not yet able to define what), it can appeal to a range of individuals, no matte ...more
Jonquil
Jan 28, 2013 Jonquil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-related
Some good ideas and motivational passages buried by too much repetition; I got tired of hearing about weight loss and paying off huge debt and spending time with children. The author should have enough anecdotes from her long, successful career as a coach to make her points with a new story each time rather than repeatedly citing her 100 pound weight loss. I understand the premise that our personal challenges, victories and experience are logical jumping off points for starting a business but th ...more
Justine
At first I was super excited to read this. A book club of mine had chosen it and I felt like it would help me a lot with my own business. It didn't. The introduction was the only part of the book that made me feel motivated. The rest of the book was not only extremely boring and repetitive but unhelpful.

Each section you read Carrie has recorded a short video that she asks you to watch before you read on. After I did this about 10 times I quit watching the videos because she says the exact thing
Shannah
Aug 29, 2011 Shannah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am wondering if this book would be worth adding to the list of an entrepreneur's book club for reading in the upcoming year...
Theresa
Mar 17, 2012 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review cross-posted on my blog
In the Barefoot Executive, Carrie Wilkerson gives the reader practical business advice, from her own personal experience. She presents real applications and practical techniques using interactive, thought-provoking questions and exercises throughout, it’s like having your own personal coaching session on-demand, in book format. She takes the reader through the process of starting their own business, from investigating their options and skill sets all the way to crea
Alain Burrese
Nov 15, 2012 Alain Burrese rated it really liked it
I enjoyed “The Barefoot Executive: The Ultimate Guide for Being Your Own Boss and Achieving Financial Freedom” by Carrie Wilkerson. It's an inspiring and motivating read that encourages the reader to be their own boss and achieve financial freedom by growing their own business. There are some good lessons here, but mostly it is a book that opens the reader's eyes to possibilities and points them toward greater achievement if they believe and take action on those possibilities.

The book is divided
Carol Harlow
Mar 14, 2012 Carol Harlow rated it it was amazing
I find the first chapter really meaningful in being successful in starting your own business. There are several inspiring quotes to be found in this book such as:

"Winners compare their achievements with their goals, while losers compare their achievements with those of other people.
—Nido Qubein"

I think we tend to forget that we shouldn't compare ourself with others. You may find that others are achieving success easily, but the important thing is not to use that as an excuse, but as a push to mo
F.
Mar 12, 2012 F. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big believer that you can always learn. And you should always be learning. So, when I was sent a copy of The Barefoot Executive: The ULTIMATE MANUAL For Being Your Own Boss & Achieving Financial Freedom to review, I was excited to start reading it because I can always learn from one of my main topics that I blog about and podcast about: business.

Business is such a broad topic that you can write tons about it from all sorts of views and perspectives. Author Carrie Wilkerson, founder/ow
Nicole Elliott
Feb 17, 2013 Nicole Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I am a proud barefoot executive. After my first child was born I found myself growing tired of spending hours of my day perusing Facebook, watching Sesame Street, and going through the motions. Now, don't get me wrong! First and for most I am a wife and a mommy, and I love love LOVE both of these things! In fact it was my love of these things that had me determine to be a stay at home mom. I found myself wanting more though, I knew that with my skills and with all that is available to me today w ...more
Farnoosh Brock
I loved The Barefoot Executive. I absolutely LOVE Carrie's style. I am So glad I saw her tweet on how her book was $2.99 on the Nook store, and for some reason, I just clicked through and bought it.

The only reason I am giving it a 3 stars is because there are just one too many self-promotions in the book to affiliate programs and such that I found to be distracting from the core of the message.

Something about her just intrigues me. She has been extremely responsive on Twitter to all my tweets,
David
Aug 09, 2012 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first heard about Carrie through two of my heroes, Dan Miller's 48 Days podcast and Dave Ramsey's podcast. I knew she was a very successful businesswoman and I was excited to see she published a book.

The first part of this book was not what I expected. She shared a bit about her story, but instead of digging deeper into the details, she often repeated the same high level accomplishments. Those are great, but I really wanted her to share how she did those life changes. Not too much detail, but
Sally Ferguson
Nov 04, 2013 Sally Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Several months ago, I read The Barefoot Executive by Carrie Wilkerson, and am still processing all of the information contained in that one volume. It got me really excited because it’s packed with practical tips and necessary tools to run your own business, but it also really frustrated me because I want to try everything at once! Wilkerson would say “whoa” to that idea. Her mantra is to try one thing at a time until it becomes profitable.

For anyone who wants to expand their income, there come
Ethan Fleck
Dec 31, 2013 Ethan Fleck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really great motivator for getting a business started! This girl took nothing and made it into something and encourages you to do the same. Great detail on how to start a business, how to create a brand, and how to do it all with a family and keep your sanity at the same time. I really liked how she incorporated video into the e-book, and it drove home the sense of reality (i.e.. kids and cell phones going off in the background) and that yes, this can be done. If you're looking for a little moti ...more
Dawn W.
Jul 11, 2016 Dawn W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After becoming so much more interested in my personal finances and achieving freedom from debt, this was a helpful and inspiring book to read.

My biggest problem with it was in the structure of the book. Before even introducing her procedures for what she does, she went into a lot of the seemingly unimportant minutiae. I may have to go back and read it to see if the first few chapters make more sense than they did the first time I read it.
Kerri
Jun 10, 2012 Kerri rated it really liked it
This book helped me start thinking about what I can do with my business. There were many times when I felt the author was speaking directly to me. Stop making excuses about why you can't. Start solving those problems. Do massive action until completion. Hire people to help whether it be hire a bookkeeper or a housekeeper so that you can focus on the business. Find a mentor even if you have to pay someone.

Was the book exactly related to where I am in business? No. It was more geared towards encou
Ken Ring
Apr 11, 2015 Ken Ring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the audio version while on the road. I'm going to purchase the print edition so that I can take notes and use the lists in several chapters.
This book is very good at encouraging "out of the box" thinking. Carrie gets you to think and encourages you at the same time.
Michael Guzman
The book is filled with common sense generalities. It's mostly a motivational book. Doesn't provide anything concrete you can utilize. The book can be summed up in one sentence...'You can do it!' Don't look to this book to guide you on how to start a business.
Debra Ham
Enjoyed the book, very easy to understand and relatable. I really liked Carrie's writing style, it was very honest and encouraging. I hope to read it again and to use as a refernce in future business ventures.
Stefan Wyper
Apr 28, 2016 Stefan Wyper rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book on some ideas for online businesses, the only problem was that the author had a lot of time to create the only businesses that she had.
I like the concepts, but now want to apply them
Ashley
Mar 19, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give it 3 stars for its own usefulness in my business goals at this point (her emphasis seems a little too much on just growing as big as you can), but gave 4 stars because it has lots of useful info and motivation. She definitely got my gears turning for ideas.
Leeah
Oct 15, 2015 Leeah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting but a lot of great activities for getting your mind going. I have a few to-dos now!
Waldnilso
Jan 27, 2015 Waldnilso rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book with excellent ideas for creating and running a business from home.
Clint
Jan 22, 2016 Clint rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good-ish.
Brandon
Great motivation to get going.
Melissa Reinke
May 11, 2011 Melissa Reinke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I proofed this book for the publisher and found it so interesting that I'm actually planning on buying it when it comes out. Carrie Wilkerson is an inspiring writer, giving tips and tricks that will last me for years to come. The Barefoot Executive is a book I plan on referencing time and again as I focus on beefing up my freelance work. Cheers to independent living!
Jennifer Jaynes
Jun 03, 2014 Jennifer Jaynes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what I needed!
Cory
This is a great book. I've never read books of this type before, so I have nothing to compare to... but there is a ton of practical, useful information here. Very down to earth and very readable.

If you're looking to start a business from home, start here.
ConnieK
Dec 15, 2011 ConnieK rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where is the 10 star option?! The best business development book I have ever read - and I read a lot. Chock full of ideas and inspirations that I will come back to over and over. A must read for any entrepreneur (wanna-be or already established).
Heather Littler
Jul 18, 2012 Heather Littler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book if you want motivation to start a home business! It won't tell you exactly how to do like some business guides do but if you have been thinking of starting a business and you need to be convinced, read it. You won't be sorry!
Do you think this book is book club material 1 2 Aug 29, 2011 03:21PM
  • Local Dollars, Local Sense: How to Shift Your Money from Wall Street to Main Street and Achieve Real Prosperity
  • The Suitcase Entrepreneur
  • Mentoring 101
  • Born to Win: Find Your Success Code
  • Un-Jobbing : The Adult Liberation Handbook (Second Edition)
  • Wealth Through Workshops
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • Married to Distraction: Restoring Intimacy and Strengthening Your Marriage in an Age of Interruption
  • Up, Down, or Sideways: How to Succeed When Times Are Good, Bad, or in Between
  • Sparkle: The Girl's Guide to Living a Deliciously Dazzling, Wildly Effervescent, Kick-Ass Life
  • Working in the UnOffice: A Guide to Coworking for Indie Workers, Small Businesses, and Nonprofits
  • A Field Guide To Now: Notes on Mindfulness and Life In The Present Tense
  • Heart, Smarts, Guts, and Luck: What It Takes to Be an Entrepreneur and Build a Great Business
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Success is Not an Accident: Change Your Choices Change Your Life
  • The Referral Engine: Teaching Your Business to Market Itself
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Great Sex: (And You Thought Bad Girls Have All the Fun)