Start by marking “A Grand Murder” as Want to Read:
A Grand Murder

A Grand Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #1)

When a prominent local businessman and friend of the chief of police is murdered on the front steps of his posh Grand Avenue Hill home, Saint Paul homicide detective Catherine O'Brien a pithy, vertically challenged, St. Paul, Minnesota, homicide detective with a monstrous coffee habit and her partner Louise are given two days to find his killer.

They soon discover their vic
Nook, 224 pages
Published August 8th 2011 by Before the Fall Books

To ask other readers questions about A Grand Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grand Murder

Ron McGhee
Sep 03, 2011 Ron McGhee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a Columbo meets Cagney and Lacey mystery written by Agatha Christie and you get a glimpse into the latest gumshoe novel by Stacy Verdick Case. With an emphasis placed on character development and detecting, A Grand Murder quickly settles into easy and fun reading. This ‘whodunit’ manages to keep a healthy pace of intrigue throughout a corporate multiple-murder case. Betrayal, cooked books, and cooked gooses will no doubt make this an armchair detective’s favorite.
"Come out, come out, wh
Wendy Hines
Jul 04, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Grand Murder is an exciting and quick read. Catherine O'Brien and her partner Louise had me in stitches many times. They obviously know one another well, and their imperfections really make them human. When a judge is stabbed and killed on a front lawn, Catherine and Louise are on the case. The only drawback is that they only have forty-eight hours before their boss blows a gasket. Then their prime suspect is murdered and they have to start from scratch. The whole investigation is filled with ...more
Carien
Sep 09, 2011 Carien rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very satisfying read.
The writing is decent and the plot engaging. It's got all the elements I like to see in a good murder mystery: a weird murder, lots of suspects with suspicious behaviour, red herrings, clues that are open to interpretation, and to top it all off, a quirky investigator who has to make sense of it all to catch the killer.
Catherine is a tough, but very likeable, lead character and her dry sense of humor makes this book not just a suspenseful read, but a funny one as well. Alt
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Apr 28, 2012 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Stacy Verdick Case
Stacy Verdick Case has a strong ability to create a novel that will pull the reader into the story instantly. I loved that. I loved being able to jump in to the heart of the story and become a part of the characters' lives. I wasn't sure what to expect, though, as I've seen so many different opinions on the book. However, giving it a shot myself, really proved that it's worth the read!

Catherine O'Brien is a sassy, tough gal when it comes to her police investigations. She and her detective partn
Kristi (Books and Needlepoint)
Now, I don't remember a whole lot about Cagney and Lacey, but they were the first ones I thought of when I met Detectives (Catherine) O'Brien and (Louise) Montgomery. Catherine is married to a saint of a man (Gavin) who puts up with her crazy hours and dangerous jobs with understanding and foot rubs, though he does admit it is not what he imagined marriage to be. Louise is single and always seems to be put together, with not a hair out of place, regardless of how much sleep she has or hasn't had ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Apr 15, 2012 Kathleen Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Grand Murder by Stacy Verdick Case is a murder mystery with an unlikely pair of detectives, as opposite as they can be. A man is murdered on his doorstep and the clues left make it seem like a robbery gone bad but with further investigation it is anything but a robbery. The police chief wants the murder to be solved within 48 hours, which does not leave a lot of time but the victim is a friend of his so he wants the case solved fast. All the time spent on investigating keeps Catherine from her ...more
J.L. Campbell
Mar 27, 2012 J.L. Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-connected businessman is murdered on his doorstep and the police investigation reveals that the victim has more enemies than one person should have in a lifetime. Someone murders the dead man’s business partner, and the police have little to go on in a case where the command chief demands that everything be wrapped up within two days.

PLAYERS: Catherine O’Brien is a smart, but abrasive cop, who has little patience and a huge caffeine habit. She has a softer side that’s reserved for her hu
LORI CASWELL
Apr 27, 2012 LORI CASWELL rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
Catherine O’Brien is a petite St. Paul Detective whose hair is never right, wears clothes that are more masculine than feminine, lives on Starbucks coffee, thinks laundry, cooking and housework are punishments to be avoided at all times, and has a husband who loves her just the way she is.

Louise Montgomery is her partner who never goes home yet her hair and clothes are always perfect. She is tech savvy and hell on wheels literally. Every time Catherine gets in the car with Louise behind the whee
 Gigi Ann
This is the first time I've read a book by this author. I want to say thank you to Stacy Verdick Case for providing this book for me to give an honest review for a book tour.

I enjoyed the storyline and it was a good mystery about two lady detectives, Catherine and Louise, out to catch the killers. Catherine was good at her job, but capricious enough to be interesting.

The book had some laugh-out-loud moments, which made it a fun and funny book to read. I wasn't sure who the guilty person was rig
Cameron
Apr 09, 2016 Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cameron's Audiobook Review from What the Cat Read

When Stacy asked me to review the audio edition of this book for her virtual book tour I will admit to a bit of hesitancy on accepting the task, mostly because it is really easy for me to zone out while listening to an audiobook. However, upon starting the book, I found myself getting wrapped up in both the storyline and the reader herself. Justine Huxley does a fantastic job of grabbing the listener’s attention, giving each character their own to
Books Mom
Catherine O'Brien, described as vertically-challenged and perpetually disheveled, is partnered with Louise Montgomery, a tall black woman who is always impeccably dressed—even after being up all night. This first book in a new series about this unlikely pairing begins when they have already been partnered for three years and have grown into friends. Catherine is short, but feisty; and as the first-person POV character in this story, we see all the action through her eyes. She's also very grumpy ...more
Inga
Mar 30, 2012 Inga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review:

A Grand Murder by Stacy Verdick Case is a first book in Catherine O'Brien mystery series. I know that it must sound weird, but it was a fun book to read, even though it's about murders. It was smoothly written and the story flowed nicely. I enjoyed the characters and the humor in the book.

Regarding the plot:

Catherine and her partner Louise are getting a murder case of a prominent businessman and they have only two days to solve the case. It does not help that the murdered businessman
Yvonne
Mar 03, 2012 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the first book of the Catherine O’Brien mystery series, the detective finds herself involved in investigating a high profile murder. A prominent business man is found dead at his Grand Avenue Hill home and the chief of police want Catherine and her partner Louise to quickly solve this case.

As Catherine and Louise get deeper into the investigation, they find the victim had quite a few enemies and the suspect list keeps getting longer. They don’t have much to go on, but it’s not long before the
Aileen
Nov 20, 2013 Aileen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received as a Goodreads giveaway. The first of what promises to be a really good series. Detective Catherine O'Brien and her partner Louise Montgomery pick up the murder of a company director who just happens to be a good friend of their chief. He insists on a quick arrest but they're left with little to go on. The business partner is found dead soon after and suddenly it seems like everyone could have been the murderer.

The rapport between untidy Catherine and elegant Louise was very good, often
Babs
Mar 01, 2012 Babs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, murder
This is the first book I have read by this author. Two female detectives from St Paul have 2 days to solve the murder of a judge. They are easy to like and you want to see them do well from tje start of the book. It made for a fast read trying to figure out what was going to happen. I had a feeling early on who the murder might be. There were some laugh out loud moments which made it over all a decent book.

There were two things that held me back a bit ,a lot of swearing which I can deal with som
Pam
Feb 05, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.6 actually.
I enjoyed the book. It was about 2 female detectives in St. Paul, Minnesota solving a double murder. The two main characters are polar opposites and I really enjoyed their interactions - quite humorous. The plot was pretty good and there were some sub-plots that I am sure will be developed further in books to come. The thing that kept me from rating it higher is the fact it did not seem to make it to an editor's desk. I guess because I am a bit anal I got stuck on typos, dialog that
Nancy
Catherine O'Brian and Louise Montgomery, St Paul Mn police detectives, must solve a case in two days. Two men from the same company are murdered. One seems to be a good guy, the other not. The bad guy was blackmailing many people some from his work and the wives of some from his work. He was not killed by any of them, rather a personal assistant in the business. The bad guy was siphoning off money the assistant found out and knew the company would fold, including her pension, and killed the bad ...more
Shirley
Apr 05, 2012 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One might call A Grand Murder a cozy mystery as it certainly is an easy book to curl up with and read in one sitting. If ever you want something light and highly entertaining in a mystery, I definitely recommend A Grand Murder! I'm happy to inform you that it is but the first in what will be here-to-fore known as the "Catherine O'Brien Mysteries". The next in the series to be released soon is Murder is a Family Affair, and Stacy is currently working on the third.

Warning to sensitive readers: som
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Two homicide detectives are sent out on a priority killing. Catherine O'Brien and partner, Louise have two days to solve the crime or make their Chief unhappy.

This was a fast-moving, humorous, and interesting murder mystery. It is hard to find humor with the subject of death, but in this case it was handled by descriptions of various interviews with possible suspects and witnesses.

I expect this series will continue to be even sharper with time.
Titas (Emperor)
May 20, 2016 Titas (Emperor) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, detective
The book is the kind of 3.5 that you actually wish to be 4.

So, 4 stars.
Kimberly
Nov 17, 2011 Kimberly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosy-mystery
I enjoyed the story. The characters were believable and you quickly became involved and cared for them. The story was fun to try and figure out. I had an idea early on as to who the killer would be but as, the detectives worked the case, it made me wonder. The language was realistic but I could have done without all the swearing. I will probably not recommend it because of the language.
International Cat Lady
I finished this last night. Definitely a quick read. It wasn't bad, but nothing particularly memorable.

I just started this book last night (Kindle tells me I'm 13% in) - anyway, short comment for the author and editor: at 7% in, "Leather sofa's flanked two of the walls" - sofas, people. No apostrophe.
Anthoney Jaworski
Aug 29, 2011 Anthoney Jaworski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, it was a great weekend getaway read and it captured some good Minnesota humor! Looking forward to the next book to see where she goes.... Catherine reminds me of Beckett from Castle keep the books coming! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrOSSr...
Jon Bjorkstrand
Aug 30, 2011 Jon Bjorkstrand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book that was fun to read. A 4 star book for sure! It will leave you wanting to read more about its main characters. If you like John Sandford and Robert Crais you will like this book. A definate must read for Murder Mystery junkies.
Stacy
Oct 14, 2011 Stacy added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my first book so I love it like a child. I will not give it a star rating because I hate when authors do that to pump up their reviews. I will let actual readers rate it so you get the true measure of the book.
Jeffrey
Very basic mystery book. I usually like reading books that take place here in minnesota, but not much was talked about for landmarks, so it really didn't make much difference.
Nina
Nov 06, 2011 Nina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good mystery, lots happening and the plot line kept the reader wondering what would happen next. And to top that off, it is a book based in Minnesota.
Farrah
Jul 27, 2012 Farrah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very fun and enjoyable thriller to read. A great quick one day read that will have you sleuthing along with Catherine to figure out who did it.
Mary
Jan 16, 2012 Mary rated it liked it
You can read my take here.
Kimmie
May 11, 2012 Kimmie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery.....I really enjoyed this. Some parts were just a tad slow, but otherwise I really liked this.
  • Chop Suey (Darby Stansfield, #1)
  • The Heirloom Murders (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #2)
  • In Sickness and In Death (Broken Vows, #3)
  • The Ronin's Mistress (Sano Ichiro, #15)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • The Dead Detective Agency (Dead Detective Mysteries, #1)
  • Assault with a Deadly Glue Gun (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery #1)
  • Alibis and Amethysts (A Crystal Shop Mystery #1)
  • Funeral Food (Tory Bauer Mystery, #1)
  • The Path of the Crooked
  • Carpe Bead'em
  • The Defector (Janac's Games, #1)
  • The Summer We Lost Alice
  • Few Are Chosen (K'Barthan, #1)
  • The Square Root of Murder (Sophie Knowles, #1)
  • A Wild Ghost Chase (A Haunted Guesthouse Mystery, #3.5)
  • Lost and Fondue (A Cheese Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Bingo Barge Murder (A Shay O'Hanlon Caper, #1)
Stacy Verdick Case was born in Willmar, Minnesota. After a brief stint as a military brat, where she lived in Fort Sill Oklahoma and Fort Campbell, Kentucky, her family moved back to Minnesota.

Stacy currently lives in a suburb of St. Paul with her husband and her daughter.

Stacy is also one of the hosts of The Not Boring Book Show.
More about Stacy Verdick Case...

Catherine O'Brien Mystery (3 books)
  • A Luring Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #2)
  • An Intimate Murder