Start by marking “I Am a Bunny” as Want to Read:
I Am a Bunny

I Am a Bunny

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,586 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews
I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree.

In the spring, Nicholas likes to sniff the flowers, and in the summer, watch the frogs in the pond. In the fall, he watches the animals getting ready for winter, and in winter, watches the snow falling from the sky. One of Golden's most beloved titles, this beautifully illustrated, gentle story is now availableas a
Published August 31st 2011 by Golden Books (first published 1963)

Dashiell John
Apr 14, 2008 Dashiell John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A spiritual tale of a rabbit who goes by the name of Nicholas. No last name is given. In a way, he is Everybunny, making his way through the seasons of life as best he can. This is a classic "bunny v. environment" conflict, one which Nicholas survives through his wits. In one scene, he is threatened by rainfall, and just when you think it is going to be the end for him he decides to keep dry under a toadstool. A profound statement about the instinct to survive.
Megan
Sep 02, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still have a copy of this book from when I was a baby, and I have just started reading it with my one year old. The pictures are absolutely beautiful, and the story is simple and short enough that my baby can pay attention the whole way through, without being annoyingly simple or cutesy. It's just a really sweet book, one that I cannot recommend enough. While my baby's not quite at the talking stage yet, I think the pictures are really helpful in pointing out what the story is about - flowers, ...more
Jon
May 28, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who like bunnies, any kid I'm going to read a book to
Ok, I lied. This isn't one of Kate's favorite books, it's my favorite book to read to Kate. She only likes it if I change the words so instead of "snow", I say "marshmallows" or something like that, and she can laugh and correct me. But then if I don't change the words, she gets mad and tells me "No, do it wrong!", but then it isn't really as fun, because how much of a surprise is it for me to read the words wrong when she just told me to.

Great illustrations too. And it's dang short.
Peter
Nov 19, 2007 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great alpha waves of contemplative calm emanate page by page from this exceptional book.
A
Oct 05, 2008 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a Bunny

This book is perfect for babies and toddlers who are actively discovering the natural world around them. A cute bunny in red overalls named Nicholas narrates the story; he lives in a hollow tree and shows us how he enjoys observing the changing seasons and playing with plants and animals.

Although Richard Scarry painted the illustrations, they don’t have the cartoonish quality of his later books—they are brightly colored, but show subtle details such as the fall coloration on maple l
Ann
Nov 23, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I Am A Bunny is one of my all-time faves. Beautifully and simply written by Ole Risom, and perfectly ilustrated by Richard Scarry, this was one of the few children's books I never tired of reading aloud.

The charming Nicholas, (the bunny of the title), takes us gently, sweetly, thoughtfully, and happily through the four seasons of the year. We learn about the seasons, weather, colors, counting, animals, plants, and having fun outdoors. I learn, each time I read it, to take a deep breath, smile,
Jon
Feb 27, 2010 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hildy-books
An almost mystical paean to the seasons, illustrated by Richard Scarry. A peaceful book that is still fraught with the raw power of nature.

Such a contrast to that fraud Eric Carle, whose anti-capitalist screed "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" drips with socialistic, vegetarian dogma in every sentence.
Hannah Mayes
Aug 23, 2009 Hannah Mayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This my my book as a child. I found it in one of my old boxes just before my daughter was born. It was the first book she would let me read all the way through was she was a tiny baby. Now I would still have to say it is her favorite book at 18 months. When I am done reading it to her she always says "more". I don't even have to read it anymore because I have it memorized.
Sometimes when she gets fidgity when we are somewhere that she needs to behave I just recite it to her and it usualy calms h
Kerry
Jul 06, 2015 Kerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I had forgotten all about this book until a mommy blog I read put it at the top of their best books for babies list. I loved this book as a child. I can remember reading it over and over again. I loved the beautiful, colorful illustrations by Richard Scarry. I can remember counting the birds, the butterflies, the frogs, the dandelion seeds, the leaves, but not the snowflakes- too many! Growing up in the desert which doesn't really have seasons, I was fascinated by this book's depiction of all fo ...more
Amar Pai
Jun 29, 2010 Amar Pai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Better than the usual claptrap. Not very accurate in its depiction of bunny life though. Also books with animals dressed in people clothes kinda ick me out, but I need to get over it I suppose.
Don
Jul 23, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
An epic tale covering a whole year in of a naturalist rabbit's life. The rabbit has a very limited wardrobe.
Deborah
Nov 09, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is, quite literally, the FIRST book I ever read. It was read to me many, many times. I very clearly remember the day that I wanted my mother to read it to me, but she was doing something else at the time, so I sat in the doorway of my closet and opened it up, wanting to look at the pictures again, at least.
And suddenly.
I knew how the words went, because I could have recited it to you from memory.
But now the words on the page connected with the words in my head.
And I was off to the race
Jenny
My toddler loves this book. (Apparently, so did I when I was her age.) Every page has pictures of things she knows by name (bunny, bird, butterflies, flowers, frogs, etc.) because they're common in books for this age and/or recognizable from the real world. The vocabulary and story are simple, which means this is a book she's starting to understand, far earlier than many of her other books. Very few words per page make for easy storytelling with a child who can sometimes be restless during long ...more
Douglas
Mar 15, 2016 Douglas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone reading to their child
So everyone who reads to their toddler knows that you’ll soon be bombarded with requests to read the same book over and over, enough that you could recite it without even opening it. Of course you have to open it because there are pictures and besides, just reciting is not reading right. Seriously, Parental Unit in Question, don’t you know how to read right?

Okay, sorry. That was a bit of a tangent. I’ve just started reading to my little girl (henceforth the most Adorable Little Girl Ever), and f
Nikki
Summary- This story starts with the introduction of a small bunny named Nicholas, who lives in a hollow tree. The book goes on to take about the things he likes to do best in each season. In spring he likes to pick flowers and chase butterflies. In the summer he likes to lay on the beach and watch the birds, and the frogs in the pond. In fall he watches the leaves change color and fall to the ground, or blow dandelion seeds into the wind. During winter he likes to watch snow fall from the sky, b ...more
Alicia Beaumier
Mar 01, 2015 Alicia Beaumier rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off this is a cute little book that would appeal to a younger child. The bunny is named Nicholas and he is so little compared to everything else. Normally the main character stands out and in this book he does not. The scenery in the book is beautiful! To be honest this book surprised me because it was so cheap I honestly did not expect it to be so good.
The setting changes from season to season(Summer, spring, fall, and winter) and with it being such a short book I think that is amazing.
Emerson and Theodore
Easter gift from Aunt Christy and Uncle Gregor. Beautiful drawings. We had the very abridged story "I am Bunny" in the yellow "Best Storybook Ever" but this is the full length version and it is also a board book. Emerson has been ripping pages again so this is a big plus.
Meg McGregor
Mar 14, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A world without the delightful stories by Richard Scarry would be a scary one indeed.

This wonderful little book starts Nicolas, who as the title implies, is a bunny who loves to observe the world around him.

In the spring he likes to pick the flowers and chase the butterflies.

In the summer he likes to lie in the sun, watch the birds, and the frogs in the pond, and blow dandelion seeds across the fields.

In the fall he likes to watch the leaves fall from the trees and the animals getting ready for
Abigail
Ike loves this book. He really does show a preference for it, through grunting. The illustrations by Richard Scarry are vibrant, full and beautiful, and the story is really sweet and simple. Love you Richard Scarry.
Pat Williams
Jan 25, 2016 Pat Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this to my children and now my grandchildren. The pictures of the changing seasons are beautiful and the kids love all the pictures of the different bugs and animals. We play lots of pretend - picking the strawberries off the page and eating them and sharing them with Nicholas Bunny and the birds. One grandchild is a comic and he likes to pretend he is eating a frog (so we get to say "eeewwwww icky icky"). We kiss Nicholas Bunny goodnight at the end of the book. It's also nice to ...more
Stephanie
Nov 16, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homeschool
Love this story of seasons. So cute and Richard Scarry's illustrations always rock.
Julie
Jul 14, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book between 10 and 15 times a day. Definitely a favorite in our house!
Julie Rylie
Mar 08, 2014 Julie Rylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
I'm absolutely in love with the illustrations of this book <3
Kelly
Nov 24, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scarry is my fondest picture book memory...
Morris
Jun 16, 2013 Morris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I loved him chasing the butterflies."
Heather
Apr 24, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this at a library used book sale. Our copy is a hardback with thin cardboard pages.
I particularly like this book for the illustrations. I have always loved Richard Scarry. This is a much earlier work of his, and the illustrations are more detailed and natural in my opinion.

Ole Risom compliments Scarry's illustrations with simple and poetic text...

I am a bunny. My name is Nicholas. I live in a hollow tree.
In the spring, I like to pick flowers.
I chase the butterflies, and the butterflies c
Sylvester
8* art
3* story

I would love to frame these illustrations and hang them in Squirt's room. The book is merely an excuse for Richard Scarry to revel in the seasons. The words hardly matter, and the author made them scarce. Does Squirt like this book as much as his Mom does? That's the question.

Erin
I am a Bunny is a beautifully illustrated book about the different seasons, narrated by a red overall clad, cute little bunny named Nicholas. As Nicholas goes through each season he highlights various aspects of each that he enjoys, such as picking flowers, chasing butterflies, watching the leaves fall, and seeing the animals get ready for winter. The text is short and sweet, and the bright and colorful illustrations portray the beauty of nature flawlessly through intricate and realistic details ...more
Mariam
Oct 12, 2013 Mariam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vfv
This classic Golden Book, illustrated by Richard Scarry, celebrates its 50th anniversary with the story of Nicholas, a bunny clad in red overalls. In the spring, he picks flowers, and in the summer, watches the frogs in the pond. In the fall, he sees the animals getting ready for winter. And when winter comes, he...more
Board Book, 26 pages
Published January 13th 2004 by Golden Books (first published February 1st 1990)
Get a copy:

online stores
Libraries

More…
Friend Revi
Heidi Thorsen
Feb 21, 2015 Heidi Thorsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
I got this book as a baby shower gift, I don't rename reading it myself as a child. At first I was unimpressed, but over time, the more books I read to my kids, the more I was happy to reach for this one. It is simple, straightforward, timeless. The illustrations are lovely and sweet. I can now see why it was one of my friends' favorites to read to her children. I've given away many of the baby books, but this is one of of the few I've saved.
All Time Best Book 3 24 Aug 02, 2012 07:45PM