Start by marking “Track That Scat!” as Want to Read:
Track That Scat!

Track That Scat!

For young Finn and her hound, Skeeter, exploring the outdoors becomes a somewhat pungent adventure and a vehicle to introduce readers to identifying commonly known animals through their tracks and, particularly, droppings, or skat.
Published February 1st 2012 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about Track That Scat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Track That Scat!

Jan Blazanin
Feb 20, 2012 Jan Blazanin rated it it was amazing
TRACK THAT SCAT is a picture book kids will love. First is the adventure of Finn and her dog Skeeter trekking through the woods. Then there's the kid-popular "yuck" factor as her new shoes are decorated with scat. Add the fun of guessing which animal left the deposit, and kids will be captivated. Great for parents and teachers!
Barbara
Feb 14, 2012 Barbara rated it liked it
In rhyming text, the narrative follows Finn and her reluctant dog, Skeeter, as they take a walk in the woods. The author cleverly uses the word "scat" in three different ways in the story with Finn stepping into several fecal droppings from animals in the woods. As she encounters scat from a rabbit, a goose, a raccoon, a red fox, a skunk, and a chickadee, her new boots become covered in the stuff. The text includes thumbnail sketches that describe each of the animals Finn tracks, and the illustr ...more
Laurie

Publication date: 2/1/2012
Pages: 32
Sales rank: 285,255
Age range: 6 – 10 Years
Product dimensions: 10.10 (w) x 10.10 (h) x 0.30 (d)

Overall, the rhyme is very cute to use with little ones, but the overall content won’t be understood by children until they are at least 4-5. The detailed information given about each animal is fairly complex. Each an
Bethe
Jan 14, 2014 Bethe rated it liked it
#nerdlution day 44. A hybrid of rhyming text for a story of a girl and her dog out for a nature walk and informational paragraphs about the poop they encounter. I love the first page that gives 3 complete definitions of how the word scat is used throughout the book. For each animal encountered the book shows a diagram of their tracks and shape of the scat, along with other information. The reader is cautioned to not handle any poop, and that raccoon poop carries a dangerous parasite to humans. T ...more
Liz
May 26, 2012 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012-13
Really about a "3.5". I just finished A GIRAFFE DID ONE, so I guess I'm on a "poop and farting" kick right now. I liked the illustrations (not quite as much as the "Giraffe" one), and I always enjoy the inclusion of facts. Along with the rhyming text, each page has information on the animal's tracks, scat (poop), and sounds made. Interesting and of course I found things I had no idea about!
Jeanette Johnson
Sep 29, 2012 Jeanette Johnson rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the way the book starts off with information that is relevant to each page about finding tracks of animals and their scat nearby. The illustrations are beautiful and each animals has simple facts which are interesting and informative. I think this is a terrific introduction to animals.
Kelly
Feb 09, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
Very fun! What a great book, especially for reluctant readers!

The most interesting book reivews:
Sharelle
Feb 17, 2012 Sharelle rated it it was amazing
Fun and informational. The dramatic narrative, written in rhyme, is fast, funny, and fresh. The naturalist material, written in ordinary prose, is specific and detailed about tracks and scat. The illustrations are charmingly done at the eye level of a child
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Dec 16, 2014 Mary Norell Hedenstrom rated it it was amazing
Finn gets new boots and wears them when she explores in the woods. She finds animal tracks and scat for a variety of MN animals. There is a page about the animal, its food, its scat, and its tracks. Also the inside pages describe definitions for synonyms for scat, excrement, etc.
Paula
Join Finn and her dog, Skeeter, as they venture out on a hike in the woods. Take part in Finn's discoveries as she and Skeeter stumble upon--and into--traces of several woodland creatures living nearby, and find out more about each animal along the way"--Flap p. 1 of dust jacket.
Sharon Lawler
Besides identifying animals by their tracks, Finn and her trusty dog Skeeter also describe the shape and consistency of each animal's poop. Picture book format with rhyming text is perfect for the younger child, but the subject seems more appealing to an elementary child.
Janet
Nice illustrations, as a girl and her dog go for a hike, and obviously they step in scat; good description about six commom animals, their eating habits and the resulting scat as well as their tracks.
Edward Sullivan
A humorous introduction to identifying the poop of some common wild animals found just about everywhere.
Wendy Delsol
Aug 21, 2012 Wendy Delsol rated it it was amazing
A charming story that young boys and girls alike will adore. With facts to keep the nature loved enthused and a go-out-and-explore message, this book is a treasure.
Bethany
Feb 02, 2013 Bethany rated it really liked it
Clever story of a girl and her dog on a journey in the woods. They find scat and tracks of all kinds of animals.

Grades: 2-5
Topic: scat, animals, tracks, adventure
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Children learn about animal facts and about the scat (excrement) of animals. Story in rhyming verse, but each page contains real facts about different animals.
Cindy Johnson
Feb 21, 2016 Cindy Johnson rated it it was amazing
I loved this bouncy tramp through the woods with Finn and her pooch, learning about animals from what they leave behind. Watch your step!
Donalyn
I loved that this book includes all 3 definitions for "scat"-- I'm passing this along to a first grade teacher friend.
Garren
Jul 05, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
I was so pleased to find this book exists and is so readable when I was developing a lesson plan for The Great Outdoors.

(Kids love poop.)
Yoo Kyung Sung
Jan 29, 2013 Yoo Kyung Sung rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013-ncbla
combination of fictional narration and nonfiction is engaging. The story part could have been more fun and dynamic though.
Gail
Great combo of fiction and nonfiction for nature loving kids. Added bonus that it was written by a former teacher of mine.
Jessica
Mar 04, 2013 Jessica marked it as my-snarky-shelf
I discovered that this existed today. I did not know that this was necessary in the world of children's books, but apparently this one is very well done. Mind? Blown.
Kimberly Wargin
Aug 23, 2013 Kimberly Wargin rated it it was amazing
Great book for kids of all ages who are interested in which animal left this behind?
Deeanna
Oct 21, 2012 Deeanna rated it really liked it
This book was very informative.
Mlh346comcast.net
J 591.479 MOR Amazing! Animal track pictures along with "scat" pictures and facts. Great illustrations
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
George
George rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Jill Esbaum
Jill Esbaum rated it it was amazing
Apr 12, 2013
Charlotte Gunnufson
Charlotte Gunnufson rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2017