Start by marking “Track That Scat!” as Want to Read:
Track That Scat!

Track That Scat!

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  52 ratings  ·  22 reviews
For young Finn and her hound, Skeeter, exploring the outdoors becomes a somewhat pungent adventure and a vehicle to introduce readers to identifying commonly known animals through their tracks and, particularly, droppings, or skat.
Published February 1st 2012 by Sleeping Bear Press

To ask other readers questions about Track That Scat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Track That Scat!

Jan Blazanin
TRACK THAT SCAT is a picture book kids will love. First is the adventure of Finn and her dog Skeeter trekking through the woods. Then there's the kid-popular "yuck" factor as her new shoes are decorated with scat. Add the fun of guessing which animal left the deposit, and kids will be captivated. Great for parents and teachers!
Barbara
In rhyming text, the narrative follows Finn and her reluctant dog, Skeeter, as they take a walk in the woods. The author cleverly uses the word "scat" in three different ways in the story with Finn stepping into several fecal droppings from animals in the woods. As she encounters scat from a rabbit, a goose, a raccoon, a red fox, a skunk, and a chickadee, her new boots become covered in the stuff. The text includes thumbnail sketches that describe each of the animals Finn tracks, and the illustr...more
Laurie

Publication date: 2/1/2012
Pages: 32
Sales rank: 285,255
Age range: 6 – 10 Years
Product dimensions: 10.10 (w) x 10.10 (h) x 0.30 (d)

Overall, the rhyme is very cute to use with little ones, but the overall content won’t be understood by children until they are at least 4-5. The detailed information given about each animal is fairly complex. Each an...more
Bethe
#nerdlution day 44. A hybrid of rhyming text for a story of a girl and her dog out for a nature walk and informational paragraphs about the poop they encounter. I love the first page that gives 3 complete definitions of how the word scat is used throughout the book. For each animal encountered the book shows a diagram of their tracks and shape of the scat, along with other information. The reader is cautioned to not handle any poop, and that raccoon poop carries a dangerous parasite to humans. T...more
Mlh346comcast.net
J 591.479 MOR Amazing! Animal track pictures along with "scat" pictures and facts. Great illustrations
Liz
Really about a "3.5". I just finished A GIRAFFE DID ONE, so I guess I'm on a "poop and farting" kick right now. I liked the illustrations (not quite as much as the "Giraffe" one), and I always enjoy the inclusion of facts. Along with the rhyming text, each page has information on the animal's tracks, scat (poop), and sounds made. Interesting and of course I found things I had no idea about!
Jeanette Johnson
I love the way the book starts off with information that is relevant to each page about finding tracks of animals and their scat nearby. The illustrations are beautiful and each animals has simple facts which are interesting and informative. I think this is a terrific introduction to animals.
Paula
Join Finn and her dog, Skeeter, as they venture out on a hike in the woods. Take part in Finn's discoveries as she and Skeeter stumble upon--and into--traces of several woodland creatures living nearby, and find out more about each animal along the way"--Flap p. 1 of dust jacket.
Sharon Lawler
Besides identifying animals by their tracks, Finn and her trusty dog Skeeter also describe the shape and consistency of each animal's poop. Picture book format with rhyming text is perfect for the younger child, but the subject seems more appealing to an elementary child.
Sharelle
Fun and informational. The dramatic narrative, written in rhyme, is fast, funny, and fresh. The naturalist material, written in ordinary prose, is specific and detailed about tracks and scat. The illustrations are charmingly done at the eye level of a child
Janet
Nice illustrations, as a girl and her dog go for a hike, and obviously they step in scat; good description about six commom animals, their eating habits and the resulting scat as well as their tracks.
Kelly
Very fun! What a great book, especially for reluctant readers!

The most interesting book reivews:
Bethany
Clever story of a girl and her dog on a journey in the woods. They find scat and tracks of all kinds of animals.

Grades: 2-5
Topic: scat, animals, tracks, adventure
Wendy Delsol
A charming story that young boys and girls alike will adore. With facts to keep the nature loved enthused and a go-out-and-explore message, this book is a treasure.
Jessica
Apr 26, 2013 Jessica marked it as this-exists
I discovered that this existed today. I did not know that this was necessary in the world of children's books, but apparently this one is very well done. Mind? Blown.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Children learn about animal facts and about the scat (excrement) of animals. Story in rhyming verse, but each page contains real facts about different animals.
Yoo Kyung Sung
combination of fictional narration and nonfiction is engaging. The story part could have been more fun and dynamic though.
Donalyn
I loved that this book includes all 3 definitions for "scat"-- I'm passing this along to a first grade teacher friend.
Edward Sullivan
A humorous introduction to identifying the poop of some common wild animals found just about everywhere.
Kimberly Wargin
Great book for kids of all ages who are interested in which animal left this behind?
Deeanna
This book was very informative.
Linsey Wymer
Linsey Wymer marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014