DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising

DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising (DMZ #11)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  734 ratings  ·  32 reviews
With all his allegiances wiped away by the mistakes he's made, embedded journalist Matty Roth watches as the Free States of America and the US wage civil war on the island of Manhattan - also known as the DMZ. As Matty covers the battles on the ground, old allies and enemies resurface and Matty must prove that after all he's been through that he is a changed man. Will the...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by DC Comics (first published March 2012)

Aaron
Another solid volume, if a little too succinct. There's very little fat in this one as Wood takes the series into the home stretch. We start off here with a glimpse at how the Free States first took the Holland Tunnel and thus pushed for Manhattan becoming a DMZ in the first place. While I found this intriguing, it also felt a little flat. Seems like quite a task to fully lay out in just two issues how the Free States rose up and became a major force in the war. Also felt pretty unbelievable, as...more
Mike
I raced through this way too fast to really appreciate it. Knowing this is the climax or downfall of the story, and wanting so badly to see some serious payoff for all the shit our characters have been through, I couldn't stop myself. I spent maybe 30 seconds on some gorgeous splash pages and covers, but otherwise just threw myself into the maw of the hell that grinds through the city in this book.

I felt sick afterwards - like everything I know was coming all started crawling up my esophagus all...more
Mikael Kuoppala
The penultimate volume of the excellent DMZ-series "Free States Rising" offers a major climax for the saga. The series has depicted a decade in the life of free reporter Matty Roth who has been reporting from Manhattan which has turned into a demitilarized zone in a future American civil war. In this volume the end of that war is in sight one way or the other; violent times threaten to tear up the DMZ unless the political checkmate it has become will be resolved in a not-so-obvious way.

Matty nee...more
John
I used to be a big fan of comics and graphic novels over thirty years ago, but haven't read any until recently, after purchasing a Kindle Fire and trying a few DC Comics in Kindle format. I received this book as part of a Good Reads giveaway. This not your typical comic book by any means. There are no super heroes here. Instead, this book posits a near-future civil war in the United States, waged between the military establishment and the "Free States of America" movement. Most of the action tak...more
Gavin
This is where it all comes together. The first 2 issues are backstory on the FSA Commander from the Tunnel, the one Matty always finds himself tangled up with and trying to figure out. The story does a very good job of fleshing out a character who's essential to the whole series in many ways, but has been absent for quite a while (2 years in the story, ever since Parco Delgado was elected). He's no redneck hillbilly, but he's also no patriot. Like many others, he ends up in over his head, but ju...more
andrew
Remember how I said volume 10 was the best yet? I wish there was a 5.5 star option or something, because this volume was even better. I loved fleshing out the background of the Free States movement via everyone's favorite "commander". Definitely managed to get me emotionally invested in both him and the "others" as I've continually framed the Free States. Nothing is as simple as it seems, really, and this volume proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Why does this series have to end? Taking it...more
Cameron
Back with a bang! (or a lot of explosions at least). The main story and the war plot lines are nicely closed out. Matty has to make a choice about the truth or the greater good.

The opening 2-part story with guest artist Shawn Martinbrough is excellent, giving us some background on the elusive FSA Lincoln tunnel commander.
Kyle
Jul 12, 2014 Kyle rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
The flashback portion of this volume is pretty interesting. However, it feels as if the author has run out of compelling stories to flesh out the conflict between the free states and the USA. It would be nice to see Matty interact with more people in the DMZ and less political posturing. It would also have been nice to see more about the tribunal that was prosecuting Parco. That being said this arc was entertaining and I enjoyed it very much. Although I disagreed with Matty's choice in the end,...more
Bri
See Matty getting back to journalism is great.
Koen Claeys
Man, man, man... Vertigo was often labeled as the HBO of comics and a series as this does the label justice. "This is it. The U.S. Army is a boot grinding down....and when it lifts itself up, what will be left intact ?"
Another fine installment in which Wood succeeds in surprising the reader several times but these surprises feel logical because it's so fucking realistic. What is the value of truth ? That's the question Brian Wood seems to be asking...
A+
Karol
Again, cool background on one of the weirder supporting characters. Simultaneously, that feeling of an impending conclusion and the wrap-up that accompanies it are palpable. It's well done, and the background on the Free States is actually done really well, too. I'm glad for the wait.
Dana *
Another brilliant issue, focused on how Matty has matured and learned to play the game. He may end up being the man who ends the war and keeps Manhattan together.

A nice inset story on Zee.

This series is brilliant and continues to deliver up to its final issue.
Sara
These just stay totally solid, volume after volume. You can always count on Brian Wood to slap you in the face with your own hypocrisy and the massive hypocrisy of this great nation. Not wild about the art this time, but the story was rad. Happy to see Zee again!!
David Bales
Another installment in this graphic novel series with some insight on how the war started in flashbacks, as well as how it "seems" to be ending, with the U.S. military invading Manhattan. Full of confusing intrigue, where pretty much everybody is the bad guy.
Steve
This series remains solid as we get the back story on the FSA commander. And the final showdown between the FSA and the USA. Really enjoy the characters and the tough choices they need to make. No easy answers and a lot of grey. I would recommend this series.
Donald
We finally get to see some of the lead-up to the civil war, follow Roth as he navigates through the invasion of Manhattan, and learn some of what Zee has been up to.

Still enjoying this as it approaches the end of the line with book 12 still to come.
Molly
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, even though it was about war and destruction. I would like to know what happens next to the character, Parco Delgado. I enjoyed reading it. I won this book through the GoodReads FirstReads giveaway! Thanks!
Odhran
At this point, I'm just reading to see the whole thing wrapped up. Not even the backstory of the FSA commander, nor the Zee story, are enough to rescue this from being a bit dull.
Sean
This series really is staying strong as it nears the finish. The writing is gripping and the art is powerful. Chillingly, its scenario even feels increasingly plausible.
Dan
Allegorical, brutal, compelling...I could do a whole A-Z of superlatives for this series which continues to exceed my expectations of a long running comic book series.
James Targett
Another excellent instalment in the DMZ series. Interesting to see the story moving into the next phase of the campaign: reconciliation perhaps?
Frank
After 10 years, the war is over. I think. There's one final volume of the series and they have to fill it with something.
Jared Rasic
A powerful and bloody end to the Second American Civil War. Not a single thing happened the way I expected it to.
Lynne
Mar 25, 2012 Lynne marked it as to-read
I won this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. Looking forward to reading it. Thank you.
Nelly Paulina
these get better with absolutely every book. can't wait to dive into 12.
Timo
Apr 18, 2012 Timo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: comics
Building up to something. Sadly, I'm losing interest fast to this series.
Jamil
man, have I grown to dislike Matty Roth. John Paul Leon covers are boss!
Stefan Fergus
Great penultimate volume. Started reading Volume 12 immediately.
Bryce Holt
Very good work, headed toward a fairly solid ending.
  • Scalped, Volume 9: Knuckle Up
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 13: Wilt
  • American Vampire, Vol. 4
  • Incognito, Volume 2: Bad Influences (Incognito, #2)
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • The Unwritten, Vol. 5: On to Genesis
  • Chew, Vol. 5: Major League
  • Who is Jake Ellis? Volume 1
DMZ, Vol. 1: On the Ground DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist DMZ, Vol. 4: Friendly Fire DMZ, Vol. 3: Public Works Northlanders Vol. 1: Sven the Returned