Start by marking “DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising” as Want to Read:
DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising

DMZ, Vol. 11: Free States Rising (DMZ #11)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,252 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
With all his allegiances wiped away by the mistakes he's made, embedded journalist Matty Roth watches as the Free States of America and the US wage civil war on the island of Manhattan - also known as the DMZ. As Matty covers the battles on the ground, old allies and enemies resurface and Matty must prove that after all he's been through that he is a changed man. Will the ...more
Published April 3rd 2012 by Vertigo (first published March 2012)

To ask other readers questions about DMZ, Vol. 11, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about DMZ, Vol. 11

Dana *
Another brilliant issue, focused on how Matty has matured and learned to play the game. He may end up being the man who ends the war and keeps Manhattan together.

A nice inset story on Zee.

This series is brilliant and continues to deliver up to its final issue.
tony rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2012
May 06, 2012 John rated it liked it
I used to be a big fan of comics and graphic novels over thirty years ago, but haven't read any until recently, after purchasing a Kindle Fire and trying a few DC Comics in Kindle format. I received this book as part of a Good Reads giveaway. This not your typical comic book by any means. There are no super heroes here. Instead, this book posits a near-future civil war in the United States, waged between the military establishment and the "Free States of America" movement. Most of the action tak ...more
Apr 29, 2012 Sean rated it really liked it
This series really is staying strong as it nears the finish. The writing is gripping and the art is powerful. Chillingly, its scenario even feels increasingly plausible.
Apr 10, 2012 Molly rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this book, even though it was about war and destruction. I would like to know what happens next to the character, Parco Delgado. I enjoyed reading it. I won this book through the GoodReads FirstReads giveaway! Thanks!
Dec 04, 2012 Donald rated it really liked it
We finally get to see some of the lead-up to the civil war, follow Roth as he navigates through the invasion of Manhattan, and learn some of what Zee has been up to.

Still enjoying this as it approaches the end of the line with book 12 still to come.
James Targett
Jun 05, 2012 James Targett rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Another excellent instalment in the DMZ series. Interesting to see the story moving into the next phase of the campaign: reconciliation perhaps?
Nov 23, 2013 Aaron rated it really liked it
Another solid volume, if a little too succinct. There's very little fat in this one as Wood takes the series into the home stretch. We start off here with a glimpse at how the Free States first took the Holland Tunnel and thus pushed for Manhattan becoming a DMZ in the first place. While I found this intriguing, it also felt a little flat. Seems like quite a task to fully lay out in just two issues how the Free States rose up and became a major force in the war. Also felt pretty unbelievable, as ...more
Apr 05, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it
These just stay totally solid, volume after volume. You can always count on Brian Wood to slap you in the face with your own hypocrisy and the massive hypocrisy of this great nation. Not wild about the art this time, but the story was rad. Happy to see Zee again!!
Aug 08, 2012 Odhran rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-dmz
At this point, I'm just reading to see the whole thing wrapped up. Not even the backstory of the FSA commander, nor the Zee story, are enough to rescue this from being a bit dull.
Oct 01, 2012 andrew rated it it was amazing
Remember how I said volume 10 was the best yet? I wish there was a 5.5 star option or something, because this volume was even better. I loved fleshing out the background of the Free States movement via everyone's favorite "commander". Definitely managed to get me emotionally invested in both him and the "others" as I've continually framed the Free States. Nothing is as simple as it seems, really, and this volume proved that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Why does this series have to end? Taking it ...more
Nov 23, 2012 Dan rated it it was amazing
Allegorical, brutal, compelling...I could do a whole A-Z of superlatives for this series which continues to exceed my expectations of a long running comic book series.
Aug 03, 2013 Mike rated it really liked it
I raced through this way too fast to really appreciate it. Knowing this is the climax or downfall of the story, and wanting so badly to see some serious payoff for all the shit our characters have been through, I couldn't stop myself. I spent maybe 30 seconds on some gorgeous splash pages and covers, but otherwise just threw myself into the maw of the hell that grinds through the city in this book.

I felt sick afterwards - like everything I know was coming all started crawling up my esophagus all
Koen Claeys
Jan 07, 2013 Koen Claeys rated it it was amazing
Man, man, man... Vertigo was often labeled as the HBO of comics and a series as this does the label justice. "This is it. The U.S. Army is a boot grinding down....and when it lifts itself up, what will be left intact ?"
Another fine installment in which Wood succeeds in surprising the reader several times but these surprises feel logical because it's so fucking realistic. What is the value of truth ? That's the question Brian Wood seems to be asking...
Jan 09, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This series remains solid as we get the back story on the FSA commander. And the final showdown between the FSA and the USA. Really enjoy the characters and the tough choices they need to make. No easy answers and a lot of grey. I would recommend this series.
Brandon Kempner
Brandon Kempner rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2013
Feb 04, 2013 Karol rated it it was amazing
Again, cool background on one of the weirder supporting characters. Simultaneously, that feeling of an impending conclusion and the wrap-up that accompanies it are palpable. It's well done, and the background on the Free States is actually done really well, too. I'm glad for the wait.
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 12, 2013 Mikael Kuoppala rated it really liked it
The penultimate volume of the excellent DMZ-series "Free States Rising" offers a major climax for the saga. The series has depicted a decade in the life of free reporter Matty Roth who has been reporting from Manhattan which has turned into a demitilarized zone in a future American civil war. In this volume the end of that war is in sight one way or the other; violent times threaten to tear up the DMZ unless the political checkmate it has become will be resolved in a not-so-obvious way.

Matty nee
David Bales
Apr 06, 2013 David Bales rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Another installment in this graphic novel series with some insight on how the war started in flashbacks, as well as how it "seems" to be ending, with the U.S. military invading Manhattan. Full of confusing intrigue, where pretty much everybody is the bad guy.
Jul 12, 2014 Kyle rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The flashback portion of this volume is pretty interesting. However, it feels as if the author has run out of compelling stories to flesh out the conflict between the free states and the USA. It would be nice to see Matty interact with more people in the DMZ and less political posturing. It would also have been nice to see more about the tribunal that was prosecuting Parco. That being said this arc was entertaining and I enjoyed it very much. Although I disagreed with Matty's choice in the end, ...more
Jul 24, 2013 Frank rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
After 10 years, the war is over. I think. There's one final volume of the series and they have to fill it with something.
Sep 19, 2013 Gavin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This is where it all comes together. The first 2 issues are backstory on the FSA Commander from the Tunnel, the one Matty always finds himself tangled up with and trying to figure out. The story does a very good job of fleshing out a character who's essential to the whole series in many ways, but has been absent for quite a while (2 years in the story, ever since Parco Delgado was elected). He's no redneck hillbilly, but he's also no patriot. Like many others, he ends up in over his head, but ju ...more
Jared Rasic
Oct 30, 2013 Jared Rasic rated it it was amazing
A powerful and bloody end to the Second American Civil War. Not a single thing happened the way I expected it to.
Nuno Gil Franco
Jun 16, 2015 Nuno Gil Franco rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books
So, the conflict ends and while the name of the TPB refers more to the "origin" of the FSA, I kinda wished that it had referred to a call-to-arms, last-rally kinda thing for the FSA. It seems like they just folded a couple of volumes ago, with Parco, before the nuke. But this volume does present some interesting conflicts for Roth.
Jan 11, 2014 Cameron rated it it was amazing
Back with a bang! (or a lot of explosions at least). The main story and the war plot lines are nicely closed out. Matty has to make a choice about the truth or the greater good.

The opening 2-part story with guest artist Shawn Martinbrough is excellent, giving us some background on the elusive FSA Lincoln tunnel commander.
Andrea Meijomil
En este tomo por fin descubrimos los orígenes de los Estados Libres de América. La primera parte está dedicada a cubrir todos los huecos de la historia sobre lo que ocurrió antes de que Manhattan se convirtiera en la DMZ. Sin embargo, la versión que nos dan sobre como un grupo de desarrapados consiguieron poner en jaque al gobierno de EEUU no termina de convencerme. Pese a todo es interesante conocer por fin al otro miembro de la guerra que tan ausente ha estado en las últimas entregas.

También n
Jul 29, 2015 David rated it it was amazing
Matt Kruse
Jan 22, 2016 Matt Kruse rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Solid start for the volume. I liked the look back at the national situation at the rise of the free states, and enjoyed the snapshots of world events scattered through the volume, but the last half just kind of fell flat for me.
Shannon Appelcline
Feb 29, 2016 Shannon Appelcline rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, comics-indy
Free States Rising (60-61). A slow start to the volume. It's sort of nice to see how things got to where they are, but this is far enough off the beaten path of the storyline that I didn't care very much [5/10].

Free States Rising: Manhattan (62-65). It's great to see Matty working as a journalist again, and it's interesting to things really come together in this arc. I was pretty shocked by the ending, which seemed like the antithesis of much of the series, but I have to guess there's going to b
Agustin Schiavon
Agustin Schiavon rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
  • Scalped, Volume 9: Knuckle Up
  • Incognito, Vol. 2: Bad Influences
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 13: Wilt
  • Ex Machina, Vol. 9: Ring Out the Old (Ex Machina, #9)
  • The Boys, Volume 10: Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker
  • The Unwritten, Volume 7: The Wound
  • American Vampire, Volume 3
Multiple Eisner Award-nominee Brian Wood released his first series, Channel Zero, to considerable critical acclaim in 1997 and has gone on to create hard-hitting original series such as DMZ, Northlanders, The Couriers, and The Massive. He’s also written some of the biggest titles in pop culture, with work on Star Wars, Conan The Barbarian, Lord Of The Rings and The X-Men. He lives with his wife an ...more
More about Brian Wood...