Start by marking “Missing Mittens (MathStart 1)” as Want to Read:
Missing Mittens (MathStart 1)

Missing Mittens (MathStart Level 1)

Every animal on Farmer Bill's farm is missing one mitten. Readers can investigate odd and even numbers as they unravel this mitten mystery!

Book Details: Format: Paperback Publication Date: 12/26/2000 Pages: 40 Reading Level: Age 4 and Up
Paperback
Published December 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published November 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Mittens

Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
Time Machine
Book intro's idea of even and odd numbers, January 4, 2005

We loved Murphy's "Henry the Fourth", but we didn't particularly like this book. While the artwork is delightful, the rhymes are clumsy, and worse, the premise just is not very interesting. At least, finding out what happened to the cow's utter-mittens did not engage my kids (almost 3 and 5).

On the plus side, the book did give my almost 5 y.o. and myself a place to start talking about even and odd. And the way that the artis
Jenilyn Willis
I picked out this book because I knew that Stuart Murphy wrote children's books geared towards math concepts, and I love math so I wanted to read at least one. This one dealt with odd and even numbers in the form of mittens. I thought it did an excellent job of explaining the concept, and the pictures would really help children understand it. I also like the section at the end that provides extra information as to how you can reinforce these math concepts in your classroom or at home along with ...more
Janet
Jan 12, 2013 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, I loved this one with the old timey, homey feel illustrations of the farmer in his red ling underwear and finnally he and his aimals are gathered roud the old fashioed iron stove keeping warm. This title has missingmittens that belong to the various farm animals and the book is teaching the concept of even and odd numberswhich it visually does very well. Appropriate for a school or a teachable moment, but not suitable for library storytimes. This title receives four stars, just because I per ...more
Zilha B.
Mar 04, 2013 Zilha B. rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This book is about a little boy who lost his mitten. As he goes in search of his mitten, the farmer realizes that everyone seems to have the same problem. This book teaches students about odd and even numbers in the form of mittens. The book does a great job by showing the pictures that show one mitten is odd and two are even. An extension activity for this book could be to have students draw their own even or odd picture of a missing item.
Shakita
Oct 18, 2012 Shakita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
This book is by Stuart Murphy who is known for his integration of math into his books. This book focuses on working with odd and even numbers. The students will notice that the animals need mittens to make it an even number. When reading this book to the class, the children can act out the story and we could count how many mittens the students need. The students can say whether a student has an even amount of mittens or an odd amount.
Candice Mckinnon
Missing Mittens deals with odd and even numbers throughout the story. It is a cute, rhyming book that counts up to 8, but emphasizes odd and even numbers. Children would really enjoy guessing the mystery of what happened to the other mittens. There are also fun games and suggestions in the index of the book that a teacher could use to make a lesson out of the book. This is one of my favorite math children's books.
Dorotheaholcomb
Apr 19, 2013 Dorotheaholcomb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
This book is suitable for teaching children about odd and even numbers in a non-threatening way. My son was having a little difficulty learning odd vs. even and library books we checked out just overwhelmed him. This teaches the concept in a fun way and by the end of the book, my 6 year old understood odds and evens perfectly.
Miss Amanda

Farmer Bill is on a mitten hunt. Everywhere he looks there are animals with odd numbers of mittens. Since everyone knows that mittens always come in pairs/even numbers, Farmer Bill is determined to find the ones that are missing. Nice twist ending.

Nice mitten story with an introduction to the idea of odd and even numbers.
Linh Tong
I would use this book to teach students the concept of even and odd. I will put piles of buttons on the table. Students will decide if the pile is even or odd. There will be different piles of buttons. They will then use the buttons to add and subtract. Questions to ask: Do you get an even or odd number when you add two even numbers together? Two odds? How about an odd and an even?
Julia B
Jun 24, 2011 Julia B rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-books
This book would be a great teaching tool for even and odd numbers, a concept my students struggled with last year. After reading the book out loud, my students could participate in an art activity where they would draw a line down a sheet of paper, label the two sides "even" and "odd", and represent even and odd numbers by drawing pictures of chosen objects (buttons, cookies, etc).
Christina Camp
This book is about a farmer in the winter time. It teaches the importance of even and odd numbers and why we need to knwo the difference. It has the actual number and the number word on each page so that students can begin to recognize that they go together.
Chels Patterson
Jan 22, 2013 Chels Patterson rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really disliked reading this book, I stumbled over the wording, because it just doesn't flow and jumps. Honestly I thought pages were missing, they were not. Horrible as a counting book for kids too.
Shannon
Jan 02, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, gogirl-2012, math
This is an introduction to even and odd, but I didn't think it elaborated directly enough on the topic. I also thought it wasn't useful to have the words "even" and "odd" written in script - most early readers aren't going to be able to make sense of that if they're looking at the page.
Stephanie
These are a series of picture books about all sorts of math books. Here at our library they are in the E Murphy section and are a fabulous reinforcer/compliment to any math topic. An awesome resource for the little people. :)
Christine Turner

Subject: Counting -- Juvenile literature
Numbers, Natural -- Juvenile literature

Foucus skill set: odds and evens.

Betty Kim
Mar 14, 2011 Betty Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-odd-even
This book is a cute book to teach the concept of odd and even numbers by mittens. The pictures are colorful and the story if fun.
Kyra Hahn
Dec 19, 2016 Kyra Hahn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime
Picture book that integrates odd and even number concepts about a farmer and his mittens
Kate Hastings
Feb 19, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2, math, odd and even, winter
Shelves: math-and-science
One of my FAVORITE illustrators has a fun book about numbers odd and even. Also fun for winter!
Miss Sarah
Jan 19, 2016 Miss Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mittens
didn't love this about a every animal missing one mitten on a farm until the culprit of the missing mittens is found.
Jazzmyne
Apr 25, 2016 Jazzmyne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beginning-books
Missing Mitten is an interactive book that allows students to investigate mittens using even and odd numbers. I would use this book to teach odd and even numbers.
Edna
Farmer Bill is searching for his own and the other animals' missing mittens and finally spies goat chewing on something.
Shareena
Feb 09, 2010 Shareena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kiddie-korner
teaches odd and even numbers up to 10
Jesse Albers
Apr 28, 2016 Jesse Albers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc-counting
Reviews even and odd numbers

Use to teach math lesson
Alicia
Jul 06, 2009 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, math
The story is kind of silly, but I like that this book talks about odd numbers and even numbers. I like the visual that it gives for each number.
Elanor
Tierra Wooten
Apr 21, 2016 Tierra Wooten rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I would use this book to talk about adjectives. I would have the kids identify adjectives used within the book.
Esther
Taryn Dean
Covers odd and even numbers... have students bring in mittens and gloves and do a visual hands on demonstration of the book.
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real
More about Stuart J. Murphy...

MathStart Level 1 (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • A Pair of Socks
  • Henry the Fourth
  • Double the Ducks
  • Just Enough Carrots: Math Start - 1
  • Seaweed Soup: Math Start - 1
  • Beep Beep, Vroom Vroom!
  • Monster Musical Chairs