Missing Mittens

Missing Mittens (MathStart Level 1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Missing MittensEvery animal on Farmer Bill's farm is missing one mitten. Readers can investigate odd and even numbers as they unravel this mitten mystery!
Paperback
Published December 26th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published November 15th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Missing Mittens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Mittens

Janet
Oh, I loved this one with the old timey, homey feel illustrations of the farmer in his red ling underwear and finnally he and his aimals are gathered roud the old fashioed iron stove keeping warm. This title has missingmittens that belong to the various farm animals and the book is teaching the concept of even and odd numberswhich it visually does very well. Appropriate for a school or a teachable moment, but not suitable for library storytimes. This title receives four stars, just because I per...more
Jenilyn Willis
I picked out this book because I knew that Stuart Murphy wrote children's books geared towards math concepts, and I love math so I wanted to read at least one. This one dealt with odd and even numbers in the form of mittens. I thought it did an excellent job of explaining the concept, and the pictures would really help children understand it. I also like the section at the end that provides extra information as to how you can reinforce these math concepts in your classroom or at home along with...more
Zilha B.
This book is about a little boy who lost his mitten. As he goes in search of his mitten, the farmer realizes that everyone seems to have the same problem. This book teaches students about odd and even numbers in the form of mittens. The book does a great job by showing the pictures that show one mitten is odd and two are even. An extension activity for this book could be to have students draw their own even or odd picture of a missing item.
Shakita
This book is by Stuart Murphy who is known for his integration of math into his books. This book focuses on working with odd and even numbers. The students will notice that the animals need mittens to make it an even number. When reading this book to the class, the children can act out the story and we could count how many mittens the students need. The students can say whether a student has an even amount of mittens or an odd amount.
Candice Mckinnon
Missing Mittens deals with odd and even numbers throughout the story. It is a cute, rhyming book that counts up to 8, but emphasizes odd and even numbers. Children would really enjoy guessing the mystery of what happened to the other mittens. There are also fun games and suggestions in the index of the book that a teacher could use to make a lesson out of the book. This is one of my favorite math children's books.
Julia B
This book would be a great teaching tool for even and odd numbers, a concept my students struggled with last year. After reading the book out loud, my students could participate in an art activity where they would draw a line down a sheet of paper, label the two sides "even" and "odd", and represent even and odd numbers by drawing pictures of chosen objects (buttons, cookies, etc).
Linh Tong
I would use this book to teach students the concept of even and odd. I will put piles of buttons on the table. Students will decide if the pile is even or odd. There will be different piles of buttons. They will then use the buttons to add and subtract. Questions to ask: Do you get an even or odd number when you add two even numbers together? Two odds? How about an odd and an even?
Miss Amanda

Farmer Bill is on a mitten hunt. Everywhere he looks there are animals with odd numbers of mittens. Since everyone knows that mittens always come in pairs/even numbers, Farmer Bill is determined to find the ones that are missing. Nice twist ending.

Nice mitten story with an introduction to the idea of odd and even numbers.
Dorotheaholcomb
This book is suitable for teaching children about odd and even numbers in a non-threatening way. My son was having a little difficulty learning odd vs. even and library books we checked out just overwhelmed him. This teaches the concept in a fun way and by the end of the book, my 6 year old understood odds and evens perfectly.
Shannon
This is an introduction to even and odd, but I didn't think it elaborated directly enough on the topic. I also thought it wasn't useful to have the words "even" and "odd" written in script - most early readers aren't going to be able to make sense of that if they're looking at the page.
Christina Camp
This book is about a farmer in the winter time. It teaches the importance of even and odd numbers and why we need to knwo the difference. It has the actual number and the number word on each page so that students can begin to recognize that they go together.
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2014 Stephanie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subject-math
These are a series of picture books about all sorts of math books. Here at our library they are in the E Murphy section and are a fabulous reinforcer/compliment to any math topic. An awesome resource for the little people. :)
Chels Patterson
Really disliked reading this book, I stumbled over the wording, because it just doesn't flow and jumps. Honestly I thought pages were missing, they were not. Horrible as a counting book for kids too.
Alicia
The story is kind of silly, but I like that this book talks about odd numbers and even numbers. I like the visual that it gives for each number.
Betty Kim
This book is a cute book to teach the concept of odd and even numbers by mittens. The pictures are colorful and the story if fun.
Edna
Farmer Bill is searching for his own and the other animals' missing mittens and finally spies goat chewing on something.
Kate Hastings
Feb 19, 2009 Kate Hastings rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Grades K-2, math, odd and even, winter
Shelves: math-and-science
One of my FAVORITE illustrators has a fun book about numbers odd and even. Also fun for winter!
Shareena
teaches odd and even numbers up to 10
Suzanne
Cute but could have been a lot better.
Fallon Manchin
Fallon Manchin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jun 06, 2014
Gail Nye
Gail Nye marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Zoe
Zoe added it
Mar 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
PICTURES & WORDS, STORIES & BOOKS
MathStart http://www.mathstart.net
I See I Learn http://www.iseeilearn.com

I was one of those kids who talked all the time in class. I loved telling stories. One day in the 4th Grade, my teacher said, “You tell such good stories, maybe you should try writing some of them down.” “Wow,” I thought. “She thinks my stories are good.” That’s when I started to real...more
More about Stuart J. Murphy...
Give Me Half! (MathStart Level 2) The Penny Pot Lemonade for Sale Divide and Ride A Pair of Socks