Start by marking “The Lake” as Want to Read:
The Lake

The Lake

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  346 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A free short story taken straight from the pages of THE MONSTER’S CORNER, an all original anthology from some of today’s hottest supernatural writers, featuring stories from the monster’s point of view.

In THE LAKE, Abbie LeFleur, a lifetime Bostonian, who hides her scales, webbed feet, and an incredible hunger for people, has relocated to Graceville to start her life anew
Published August 17th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about The Lake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lake

Chris
Predictable. No suspense and no attempt to explain what was happening to the main character. Polished writing style but not much else to sell this story. I liked Jeff Strand's "Specimen 313", which comes out of the same anthology, better--also free on Kindle.

I think this story isn't really about a lake monster. See spoiler below.

(view spoiler)
Alondra
Short and sweet. I wanted just a tad bit more; but I guess that is why it is a short story. :/
Charlene
I picked up this short story because a friend recommended I check out this author.

The Lake is a good short story, but a bit predictable. As others have already described the plot, I will leave it be. Though not very scary this short story would've made an excellent Twilight Zone episode. The changes which the main character undergoes throughout the story would have been even more powerful in a visual medium. Overall, I thought this was a good, well written story. As it is currently free, you rea
Shara
I'm glad this was a short story because it was just ridiculous. I kept reading it thinking there would be some great big ending. When I reached the end, I was flabbergasted. I know its a great deal for someone to write a book and put it out there..but in my honest opinion I just felt that I waited a few hours and I could have read something better.
dollmatic
Too predictable, too disappointing. I mean, soon as the story became even minimally interesting, it cuts off. WTF. T. Due is a great sci-fi writer, but it just seems like she got lazy here.
Lawrence
A very good short story that left me wanting to read more about Abbie and The Lake.
Natasha
Not bad for a short story. Definitely leaves you wanting more.
Brie
Abbie Lafleur is a teacher who has relocated from Boston to Graceville, Florida for a fresh start. She left behind her parents and best friend Mary Kay, all of whom can't quite understand why Abbie wanted to go to rural Florida to teach. Abbie buys an old fixer-upper because it is on the lake and for the privacy it grants. She spends hot summer nights dipping into her own little piece of the lake. Soon strange things start happening to Abbie. Her body slowly changes, and her dreams are becoming ...more
Karissa
This is a short story that I picked up free for Kindle. This story is one of the stories released in The Monster's Corner Anthology. It was a decent story, fairly short, but engaging enough.

Abbie LaFleur has just moved to Graceville from Boston to start her life anew. Unfortunately for her nobody tells Abbie not to swim in the lake behind her house. As Abbies goes for increasingly lengthy nighttime swims she begins to develop strange side effects from her swimming that end up turning her into so
Mav Skye
Interesting Concept

This story definitely had some cool elements including a predator fish-like woman with a taste for young flesh. However, I felt uncomfortable with the nature of the story (older female teacher sexually enticing and preying on young teen boys.) I also felt confused by the language and imagery on a few pages. Interesting concepts, but read at your own risk and comfortability level.
iRead

The Lake by Tananarive Due is a short story about a school teacher whose body, thoughts, and appetite begins to change after numerous swims in the lake behind her new house. The story is well-written and fast paced, but it needs more details and a better ending. Other than that, I enjoyed it and might try another book by this author.
Book Lovers Never Go to Bed Alone
This is a free short story by Tananarive Due and can also be found in the anthology The Monster’s Corner. Although the premise sounded a little weak, I gave it a chance as a possible introduction to the anthology itself.

The story remained as weak as its premise throughout. A fish-woman who hides her “true self” and eats people. It never progressed beyond this. We have Abbie, a strange science fiction fish creature. She moves to a new town to begin a new life. I’m just not sure what Due was drivi
Erin (PT)
Jul 22, 2014 Erin (PT) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nilchance
A very well written short, but predictable from the outset. Still, Due has lovely prose. I tried one of her books before and bounced off it; I really want to give her another try now.
Dawn
Awesome!

This was an amazing short story!!! Never in a million did I guess the end.
The writing just sucks you in and for a short story it packs a punch.
Faith McKay
I really found this to be enjoyable to read and didn't stop. I felt like I was being pulled into her world, but then it just sort of ended. I can see it would frustrate a lot of people. It raises a lot of questions. I can see WHY the story stopped when it did, but at the same time, when I turned the page and realized that was the end I definitely had a WTF moment. It makes it hard to decide whether I liked the story or not because while I enjoyed reading it, I was confused at the end.
Linda Boyd
Short story about a teacher, Abbie LaFleur who moves from Boston to Graceville Florida for a fresh start. She purchases a house on the lake and thinks this is just what she needs. But is this really just what she needs?? This is a good story - a little too short for me, it left me wanting to know more about Abbie.
Nancy Hammond
an excerpt from The Monster's Corner, The Lake is both an interesting and unique tale of a woman that assumes the traits of an amphibian from swimming in the lake bordering her property. As odd as it sounds I look forward to reading more shorts from The Monster's Corner..
Renise Grimes
Great

it was a great book I loved it and how she went through that transformation. I think there should have been more to it though
Charlotte-Marie
Jan 20, 2012 Charlotte-Marie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Quick read
Recommended to Charlotte-Marie by: No one
I enjoyed reading this "short story". I really like Ms Due's writing style. I know that some have said the story was predictable, yet I found The Lake creative, intriguing, and engaging. Had this been an actual book, I could have easily seen myself reading it through to the end in a sitting.
Ti Leo
Nette Kurzgeschichte, nicht mehr. Aber da es die Geschichte umsonst gibt (als Teaser für einen Sammelband, zu dem sie gehört), will ich nicht meckern. Tananarive Due kann schon schreiben.
Kevin
The best thing that I can say about this is that it reminded me of old-school King and that's never a bad thing in my book. The writing was better than I expected for a short story that Amazon gave me for free, and I was engaged for every page. I'll be looking for more from Due.
Tamara
This is another Kindle freebie. This was a nice preview to the complete book The Monster's Corner. Over all, good short story. I wish it were longer. The ending was kind of abrupt and there could have been more to explain why the lake did what it did to Abbie.
Rosann
I liked it.. wasnt bad. The author gave you just enough momentum in the storyline that you couldnt help but keep turning the pages to find out more of what is happening to the character.

Wonder if this was how "Creature from The Black Lagoon" started :P
Amanda Dorsey
At only 18 pages, The Lake is a very quick read. It has something of the feel of a fire-side ghost story, with very little character depth but a lot of fun. A bit more atmosphere would have improved it greatly, but it's still well worth the read.
KyBunnies
Nov 06, 2011 KyBunnies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like thriller, mystery books
Recommended to KyBunnies by: Amazon.com
This was a free book in the Kindle Store.
THIS BOOK WAS NOT LONG ENOUGH! lol I go to the end and I was like "OH". Where is the rest but then the author leaves that up to the readers imagination. This was a great quick short read.
Bill
I have not previously read this author so I thought a free short story a good place to start. The story moved quickly and I enjoyed the writing style. I look forward to reading more by Due.

Sena
This short story was actually quite good. It had a way of drawing me in and making me want more. I love how we hear everything from the monster's point of view. Good, fast read!
Katie
Interesting short story. Nice development, but ended just when it was about to get interesting. Would have been better writing to flesh the story out to novella length.
K.R. Bankston
This was a short story, very short I might add. It held my attention and of course I love Tananarive's work, buttttt yeah, this one left me lacking.....
Doreen Petersen
A very weird short story that never quit explains itself. Nice try though. I would suggest the author keep practicing his or her craft.
  • Specimen 313
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 205
  • Ashes
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • The Ancestors
  • When Graveyards Yawn (Apocalypse Trilogy #1)
  • Not Before Bed
  • Blink
  • Reversion: The Inevitable Horror (The Portal Arcane Series, #1)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • Zombie Zoology
  • Itsy Bitsy
  • They
  • Message for Minerva (Garland of Druids, #9)
  • A Very Holly Christmas
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Some of the Best from Tor.com: 2011 Edition
  • What the Dead Fear
Tananarive Due is a novelist and a creative writing teacher who has worked as a journalist. She won the American Book Award in 2002 for her novel The Living Blood.
More about Tananarive Due...
My Soul to Keep (African Immortals, #1) The Living Blood (African Immortals, #2) The Good House Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3) The Between