Start by marking “THREE MEN OUT” as Want to Read:
THREE MEN OUT

THREE MEN OUT (Nero Wolfe #23)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  665 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Nero Wolfe and sidekick Archie Goodwin attempt to solve three puzzling cases of murder: in one, a person's questions lead to his death; another finds a man killed in a soundproof office; and in the last, a baseball rookie is removed from the lineup through murder.
Published August 3rd 2011 by Crimeline (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about THREE MEN OUT, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about THREE MEN OUT

Susan
Three Nero Wolfe mysteries are better than one--that must be why Stout wrote so many novellas and published them in compilations of three. In this collection, the title is a giveaway to expect three male corpses. It's notable because in two of the novellas, Wolfe leaves his house, which he tries to avoid doing.
Frances
Sometimes in a murder mystery, the detective arrives on the scene after the body has been found, and must gather clues about the crime after the fact. Think of Agent Dale Cooper in Twin Peaks, or any episode of Law and Order. Some murder mysteries unfold with the murder happening right under the detective's nose. I like that kind better because everything that happens from the beginning could be a clue. The first novella in this series, Invitation to Murder, is structured that way and, of the th...more
Mary
Sometimes, a novella is just enough. This collection of 3 Nero Wolfe mysteries works very well. Short and sweet, solved in typical Wolfe style.
Robert J. Sullivan
Rex Stout's “Three Men Out” is a collection of three stories from the 1950's of his master detective, Nero Wolfe, and his sidekick, Archie Goodwin.

In “Invitation to Murder”, where Wolfe sends Archie to find out which of three women has her hooks in the client's uncle, and Archie tricks Wolfe into leaving his home on business.

In “The Zero Clue”, Archie goes to the office of a mathematics genius who rivals Wolfe in solving mysteries, fails to discover his body, and Wolfe reveals the killer to the...more
Julie
This is a collection of three shorter mysteries. In two of them Wolfe leaves the brownstone. I really liked Invitation to Murder and The Zero Clue which were the first two in the collection. This Won't Kill You takes place at a baseball game and had a bit too much baseball in it for me, but it was another great clue that solved the murder.
David Miller
A Friday night spent with Archie Goodwin and Nero Wolfe is never wasted; I don't think Stout was capable of writing less than a 4-star book. Even so these stories are not the cream of the crop. I'd still rather read Stout at less than his best, than any other mystery writer...
Jason
Three brilliant short stories. Tightly packed with action and info-if you pay very close attention, you can figure each solution out-but most likely you'll geet caught up in all the action and let it unfold in Nero's usual way.
William
I've read all but a handful of the enormous number of Nero Wolfe mysteries Stout produced. I have found in general that the collections of novellas are generally less engaging than the full-length books, and this is one of the weakest of the novella series. Of the three stories in this volume, only the second one ("The Zero Clue")really engaged me. Unless you are committed to reading the entire Stout collection, this is one to skip.
Stephen Osborne
The three novellas that make up this volume are all fun reads and top notch mysteries. The first was my favorite, as Archie comes up with an ingenious method of getting Wolfe to leave the brownstone for a case. The enjoyment of the third story comes mainly from Wolfe's discomfort at having to attend a baseball game and being able to only perch on the edge of his seat. Fun tales from one of my favorite authors.
Jill Hutchinson
Just one more in my long list of favorite Nero Wolfe books.......to be truthful, they are all my favorites. This little book contains three short stories and in one, Wolfe actually goes to a baseball game which makes it worthwhile just to imagine him trying to fit into one of those stadium seats. Simple stories with the typical Rex Stout wit. that are good for a rainy afternoon.
Vanessa
I was in the mood for light/quick re-read, and this fit the bill. But it's definitely not a pinnacle of the Wolfe cannon, even if it drags Wolfe out of the house more than once. The plots are thin, and Wolfe basically materializes the solution to the second story out of nowhere, and it's never fully explained. Just okay.
Ed
#23 in the Nero Wolfe series.

Nero Wolfe series - Novellas that first appeared in The American Magazine: "Invitation to Murder" (August 1953, as "Will to Murder"); "The Zero Clue" (December 1953, as "Scared to Death"); and, "This Won't Kill You" (September 1952, as "This Will Kill You")
Bill  Kerwin

An entertaining trio of Nero Wolfe novellas featuring: 1) a wheelchair-bound widower with three live-in eligible females, 2) a mysterious message coded in the geometric arrangement of eight pencils, and 2) a plot to fix a Giants and Red Sox world series. Thoroughly enjoyable.
Vicki Cline
This is a collection of three stories, not as satisfying as a novel, but still entertaining. In the last story, Wolfe actually goes to a baseball game, because a famous visiting foreign chef wants to see one. Wolfe in uncomfortable situations is always amusing.
Eliot
This collection of three novellas is my least favorite Nero Wolfe so far. "The Zero Clue" has one of those dopey "dying message" clues that was an Ellery Queen specialty; you need to be more into baseball than I am to find "This Won't Kill You" readable.
Meg J.
Mysteries haven't been my thing since I devoured all the Nancy Drew books when I was young. I got through the first of three murders in this book before book club met. The characters were interesting, but I couldn't get into the mystery. 11/30/07
Lil Sparrow
My father's love for baseball has been rubbing off a little, so I highly enjoyed reading the last story, "This won't kill you," of Archie and Wolfe at a baseball game. Wolfe at a baseball game. Imagine that.

Steven Vaughan-Nichols
This isn't the best collection of Nero Wolfe novelettes. Indeed the last of the trio has a major hitch in the tale, but still even a bad Nero Wolfe story is better than 90% of most mystery tales.
Dave
This collection was my least favorite so far. Each story barely making 50 pages; a little too brief for my liking but still it's Nero and Archie... and of course the orchids.
Megan
Fun trio of short Nero Wolfe mysteries. In two of them, Wolfe even leaves the house! Nice paperback for carrying around in case I am in need of some quick reading material.
Lisa Kucharski
An interesting, if quirky, trio of stories. In this one we get to go to a baseball game (world series) with Mr. Wolfe coming along as well.
meeners
3 stars for three men out. the baseball mystery put me to sleep, but that had more to do with the baseball than with the mystery.
Jessi
Three Rex Stout mysteries. Highly enjoyable.
Aju
Aju marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2014
  • Murder in E Minor
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Thirteen Clues for Miss Marple
  • Dancers in Mourning (Albert Campion Mystery #9)
  • Maigret and the Man on the Bench
  • The Finishing Stroke
  • Top of The Heap (Hard Case Crime, #3)
  • The Fabulous Clipjoint
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Find a Victim
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • People of Darkness (Navajo Mysteries, #4)
  • The Sibyl in Her Grave (Hilary Tamar Mystery, #4)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)