Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems

Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  75 reviews
Come down to the shore with this rich and vivid celebration of the ocean! With watercolors gorgeous enough to wade in by award-winning artist Meilo So and playful, moving poems by Kate Coombs, Water Sings Blue evokes the beauty and power, the depth and mystery, and the endless resonance of the sea.
Published March 14th 2012 by Chronicle Books

Kathryn
This is a challenging one for me to rate. Most of the poems were maybe three stars for me, but a few I really liked (the title poem and the Octopus Ink especially) and the illustrations are lovely! I also appreciate the variety of ocean creatures portrayed in the collection. So, overall I was not as smitten as I'd hoped to be but I'd still recommend that any fans of poetry and sea life check it out for themselves. You might also want to check it out simply for the stunning artwork.
Rachael Stein
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."

"For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea."

Admission: I have a great weakness for sea poetry. Like Melville's Ishmael, "when my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time...more
Melissa
Wonderful variety in the poems: in form, rhyme scheme, tone, vocabulary, topics. Outstanding watercolors.
Carolynne
Apr 10, 2013 Carolynne rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Malinda
Charming poetry with a seashore theme would get this book four stars, perhaps, but the exquisite watercolor illustrations deserve 5 stars. These are no wishy-washy watercolors, either, but vividly colored paintings that enhance the poetry. Notice the illustrations for the poem "What the Waves Say," for example. The artist, Meilo So, describes her self as "Made in Hong Kong, Packaged in England, Domiciled in the Shetland Islands," and the reader can see the Chinese influence along with the rich e...more
Barbara
The 23 poems in this themed collection explore the beauty and mystery of the sea in descriptive language guaranteed to prompt readers to book an oceanside vacation immediately. The evolution of sand is described thusly: "Now we grind and we grumble,/ humbled and grave,/ at the touch of our breaker/ and maker, the wave" (unpaged). The poems hop and skip from tide pools to a sea urchin who "fell in love with a fork" (unpaged) to waves that "Roll green, rise and lean--" (unpaged) as well as paying...more
Kim
Apr 13, 2013 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Gorgeous book ... saw it last night and had to buy it... Beautiful poetry and gorgeous illustrations!
For the silly to the sublime...
For example -
Tide Pool Shopping:
"I'm going shopping at the tide pool.
They carry everything there-
mussels by the bushel
and three kinds of barnacle,
starfish and gobies to spare.

My mama gave me a shopping list.
I know I can find what she likes....etc."

and
Jellyfish
"Deep water shimmers.
A wind-shape passes,
kimono trailing."

My daughter has thoroughly studied the picture...more
Melissa Berke
Opening
I have a book to share with you today, but I’m not going to share the entire book because it is not a story, but a collection of poems. As part of our concert we will be making music sculptures based on some of the poems in this collection written by Kate Coombs. We are going to begin by listening to the poem “What the Waves Say”. As I recite this poem pay close attention to the verbs the poet uses and think about the movements that might accompany those words.

Opening Moves (Fountas &...more
Donalyn
A delicate, lyrical love letter to the ocean and its creatures. This would make a wonderful read aloud. Full of figurative language and science vocabulary.

The watercolor illustrations by Meilo So perfectly accompany the poems with soft edges and vibrant colors. So's bio in the back is a treasure all its own.

Amy Musser
This book, winner of the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award, was recently named an ALA Notable Book for Children for 2013. Beautiful watercolor illustrations accompany poems that glory in the wonders of the ocean. From hermit crabs to sea urchins, driftwood to tides, the short poems encourage readers to take a closer look at marine life. The poems are a mixture of rhyming and non-rhyming. Some are clever, others are humorous or thoughtful. Try incorporating individual poems into a storytime on fis...more
Dewi
Ini adalah buku puisi dengan ilustrasi yang luar biasa menawan. Tiga bintang untuk puisi dan empat bintang untuk ilustrasi.
Tema puisi adalah lautan. Ditulis dengan ringan dan imajinatif. Lukisan Meilo So menjadi daya tarik tersendiri bagi buku ini.

Salah satu bait kesukaan saya :

You’re not really jelly, you’re not really fish— you’re free-floating noodles escaped from a dish,
all slither and jiggle and tremble and squish.

Sayang sekali sangat jarang buku puisi untuk anak yang berbahasa Indonesia. K...more
Paula
Watercolor illustrations add to the nature of these ocean themed poems
Richie Partington
Richie’s Picks: WATER SINGS BLUE: OCEAN POEMS by Kate Coombs and Meilo So, ill., Chronicle, March 2012, 32p., ISBN: 978-0-8118-7284-3

“Song of the Boat

Push away from the stillness of the nut-brown land,
from the road that leads to the shore.

Push away from the town with its tight tree roots,
from its closed brown shutters and doors.

Push away—heave-ho—from the heavy brown pier,
from its pilings huddled and dull.

For the water sings blue and the sky does, too
and the sea lets you fly like a gull.”

For the...more
ICPL Staff Picks
Celebrate National Poetry Month by reading lots of verse for children. A new book of poems all by Kate Coombs entitled Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems will appeal to children who love the beach. The author grew up near the Pacific Ocean in California and she started collecting shells and writing poems as a child. This is her first book of poetry and she has included over twenty poems celebrating the ocean in all its mystery, power, depth and beauty. Jellyfish, coral, a sea turtle, a blue whale, ol...more
Jennifer Weiss
This book had great illustrations in it, the pictures were vibrant and detailed and aids the the reader in understanding the point of the poem. The illustrations were unique, for example the page about the blue whale is drawn vertically so it is a longer image and you have to turn the book sideways to see it. I really liked this book not only are the pictures pretty to look at, but the poems were also informative and easy to read. This book teaches about the different aspects and life forms that...more
Rll52013_stephanieroche
This collection of whimsical poetry is accompanied by the most gorgeous watercolor artwork, which is the reason it caught my eye in the first place! I loved the idea of a collection of poems about the ocean with watercolor images - so perfect! However, I found the poetry to be inconsistent. Some poems I loved, while others left me feeling a little flat. I appreciate that the author doesn't take herself too seriously, and she incorporates just a slight sense of humor within some of her poems. Tak...more
Linda
I am late reading this; many reviewed the book months ago, but I just never had it. I love how creative writers can be when they use real information and write about it so beautifully. Coombs has written of many of my own favorites, and adds her own ideas about the sea creatures. She traces sand from its beginnings, calling the ocean waves “its breaker and maker, which is its maker.” Then, there are the varieties of food available, called “Tide Pool Shopping” There is also a gorgeous vertical pa...more
Terry
Young Reader Reaction: At first my 10-year-old wasn't sure she liked the book. Picture books are for "little kids," but then she started looking at the illustrations. They drew her in, and by the time we'd finished reading, she told us this is a book "for calming you down."

Adult Reader Reaction: I can see why our daughter loved the illustrations. There are pages where you sense (feel, hear) the surf in the background. The humor is subtle and bold, like the colors on the page. There is a poem for...more
Lady Lioness
From the Stars so Far list.

To be quite honest, I don't have a lot of experience with children's poetry so I'm unsure if this is a personal preference or what, but my main issue with this book was that there was no coherence to the poetry. Some were observational, one was an haiku, and several were fantasy. To me, it felt like the author gathered up all the ocean-related poems she had and sent everything to the illustrator, so that she could create a book from them.

My favorite poem was on pages...more
Christina
Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems won the Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award by meeting the following criteria:

1. Imaginative
2. Deals with emotion and has significance beyond act of creation.
3. Figurative language and has beauty and truth.
4. Accessible to children.

I love this poem book. It relates to the ocean and everything in and/or around the ocean. It gives poems about the fish, plants, etc. This book might be good for a science class. Other than that I am not really sure what you would use it for...more
Kelly
From Chronicle Books, 2012, comes this delightful and lovely book of poems. Author Kate Coombs combines her gorgeous words with the graceful watercolor illustrations of Meilo So. This collection has poems of various styles, about various ocean creatures and things, making it a perfect companion to ELA and Science lessons. Clever words combine to describe attributes and actions of various underwater animals, while brightly colored paintings illuminate each page. This is a very pretty book, very e...more
Destinee Sutton
A few great, funny poems are in here (I especially liked "Seagulls" and "Not Really Jelly" and "Old Driftwood"), but I had a little trouble with the rhythms of others, unsure of how I might read them aloud. For example from "Jellyfish Kitchen,"

The prim bell jar
with ruffled rim
my grandma used
to cover cake
has learned to swim.

I want to skip over the line "to cover cake" and then it would be fine.

Anyway,what really stands out here is the art. Totally gorgeous. My favorite spread was for "What the...more
Librariansteph
Beautiful in every way.
Deborah
A collection of ocean poems. Some describe the elegance and beauty of ocean life. Others compare the natural movement of the ocean and it's inhabitants to life on land. Gorgeous watercolors illustrate each poem. One of my favorites:

Sea Turtle

There's a wide green map
on sea turtle's back.
Currents? She knows
their flows, never slows,
needn't stop for directions
wherever she goes,
flapping her elegant
paddle-shaped toes.

Elementary school science units on the ocean would be enhance with this book.

Emilia P
If this is what poetry for children is like, count me out.
The rhymes herein were often stiff, the vocabulary kind of old-fashioned (sometimes that can work well but here it just seemed distracting!), the illustrations pretty but not particularly affecting. But it was fine - a good effort, a nice variety of animals explored, and so forth. I just figure there is better children's poetry and better books about the sea out there. Perhaps I will discover them!
Alice
Kate knows the sea and her poems sing. Many of them include unique perspective ~ shopping at a tide pool, hermit crab as realtor, the artistry of fish, shipwrecks the bones of trees.

Illustrator, Meilo So, seals the deal on this beautiful, enchanting picture-poetry book.

If you've been enchanted by the sea and shore or perhaps dream of being so, you'll linger long in a lasting visit through Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems by Kate Coombs, Illustrated by Meilo So.

Sue Pak
Some of the words and concepts used in this book is a bit more complex for the younger children, so I would recommend to use this book with 3rd to 5th graders.

Good book to use to know a large range of sea creatures that live in the ocean. There is a poem for each sea creature and it talks about their habitats.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves going to the beach, and who is fascinated by animals (specifically sea creatures).
Samantha
Some boks have the power to take you on incredible journeys of the mind, this is one of those books. Coombs ocean poems include such subjects as boats, seagulls, sand, waves, fish, jellyfish, wahles, shipwrecks,sharks, coral, hermit crabs, driftwood, and more. Each poem is accompanied by beautiful watercolor paintings. This is a must-see summer read and one that if read while looking out upon a peaceful beach may rival perfection.
Poems about the ocean and its inhabitants - both alive and inanimate. My favorite is "Sand's Story" which begins: "We used to be rocks / we used to be stones. / We stood proud as castles, / altars, and thrones...." and continues to a poignant end.

The poems are strong across the board - some beautiful, some funny - but the illustrations put this at five stars for me. They add great depth to the experience of reading the text.
Dolly
Aug 06, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining collection of poems about the ocean and the creatures who live there. The poems are short, often rhyming, and the watercolor illustrations are beautiful.

We typically read just a couple of the poems each night, stretching our reading time over five nights, but the book could easily be read at one time. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Betsy
A beautiful book in text and illustrations. I love that the poems range in style and tone. The vocabulary is outstanding (words like "stipple" to rhyme with "ripple" and all sorts of lovely names of shells and sea creature that are just fun to say). Watercolors are perfect complement. Good for elementary (and younger and older, too!).
  • UnBEElievables: Honeybee Poems and Paintings
  • Outside Your Window: A First Book of Nature
  • National Geographic Book of Animal Poetry: 200 Poems with Photographs That Squeak, Soar, and Roar!
  • In the Sea
  • Forget-Me-Nots: Poems to Learn by Heart
  • A Stick Is an Excellent Thing: Poems Celebrating Outdoor Play
  • Step Gently Out
  • The President's Stuck in the Bathtub: Poems About the Presidents
  • Dark Emperor and Other Poems of the Night (Booklist Editor's Choice. Books for Youth (Awards))
  • I, Too, Am America
  • I've Lost My Hippopotamus
  • A Leaf Can Be... (Millbrook Picture Books)
  • Island: A Story of the Galápagos
  • The Pet Project: Cute and Cuddly Vicious Verses
  • Nic Bishop Snakes
  • I Lay My Stitches Down: Poems of American Slavery
  • Forest Has a Song: Poems
  • It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw
I was born in Spokane, Washington, but I spent most of my childhood in Camarillo, California, which is about an hour's drive north of Los Angeles. Whenever possible as a child, I read books—books, books, and more books. The rest of the time I rode my bike with my sister, Loni, or looked after my little brother and sister. Sometimes we went to the movies at an old theater we called "The Sticky Thea...more
More about Kate Coombs...
The Runaway Princess The Runaway Dragon The Secret Keeper Hans My Hedgehog The Tooth Fairy Wars