Start by marking “The DASH Diet Action Plan: Proven to Lower Blood Pressure and Cholesterol Without Medication” as Want to Read:

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The DASH diet isn't just for healthy living anymore-- now it's for healthy weight loss, too. Using the key elements of the DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) diet and proven, never-before-published NIH research, bestselling author, foremost DASH dietitian, and leading nutrition expert Marla Heller has created the most effective diet for quick-- and lasting-- we ...more
Published September 12th 2011 by Grand Central Life & Style (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The DASH Diet Action Plan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The DASH Diet Action Plan

My cholesterol jumped to 300+, which sent me to my family doctor for advice. After we agreed that I am not keen to start medication, she promptly recommended the DASH Diet. So far, so good.

This is not an easy diet. It is very restrictive (low-fat, low sugar, hardly anything processed), so you have to be willing to cut out a lot of convenient foods. And the diet requires that you have the skills and time to shop and cook most of your meals. Some people complain that it is an expensive diet, but
Penny Minding Mom
Eating healthy in my house is can be a struggle. We try and sometimes we succeed and sometimes we fail. We've got my daughter starting to try new foods and now it's time for Mom and Dad to catch up! I've heard the about the DASH diet and was interested in learning more about it. We are looking to find a diet that is easy to follow (I hate number crunching), nutritious with food that the picky eaters in my house will eat, contains various health benefits. I am not dietitians or nutritionists so I ...more
Frankly, the amount of carbohydrates this book recommends scares the heck out of me and I have a difficult time understanding how following this to a T would improve the health of someone with metabolic syndrome or someone who is diabetic.

That being said, this does seem to be a very doable plan for the long-term and is a good representation of the conventional advice for improving one's health.
This book is short and quick to read. Much of the basic information is found in more than one place in the book, making it easy to review and remember. I felt that just when I had a question, the subject was addressed in the next paragraph. There are menus for 28 days, along with many recipes. The menus are very easy to use because the author has information for those who are aiming for 2000 calories a day for health, or 1600 or 1200 calories for health and weight loss. The author includes enoug ...more
Dan Hamrick
This is one of three diet books I've read over recent months; I'll comment on the other two.
The eating habits plan in this book, The Dash Diet, was selected by experts in a panel for U.S. News and World Report as the healthiest diet available. However, like another reviewer, I found it too heavily laden with grains. As a Type II diabetic, I know the effect of too much pasta, bread and other grain-based products in raising my blood sugar.
The book is worthwhile reading for someone who is healthy
Lots of good information, though I was surprised with some of the recommendations in the dining out section - it seems like the diet should be more restrictive given the heart impacts
A very easy to read book. The diet plan itself is a no nonsense common sense approach to food. I appreciate that it doesn't focus on what to limit but rather what to add to your meals
This book helped changed my life and my frame of mind. I am really glad I read it.
Jim Johnson
The author took her nutritional advice right out of the 80's. It seems a waste to write an entire diet book using outdated concepts like "don't eat fat", "don't eat salt", or "don't eat cholesterol". Any book that tells you to eat margarine over butter has serious problems.

As a side note, the audio book format was not appropriate for the chapters that outlined several weeks of daily suggested menus. There was a later chapter that read out a great many recipes that also got cumbersome to hear.
Thanks to Goodreads and Marla Heller for my copy.

This is a diet plan I can live with. Packed with valuable information that will educate you on your condition and ways to improve it. Recipes that are easy to make and most often with ingredients already in your cabinets. I would recommend this book if your ready to start that diet.
This was essentiall a CNN Health article with a few recipes a bunch of worthless checklists and a synopsis at the end of each chapter for those of us who have ADHD so badly we cannot focus for 2 seconds.

Save your money, read this one at the library (no need to check it out, just set aside 15-20 minutes).
I am really excited to read this book and start this diet. It should be arriving from Amazon any day now. I especially like that the recipes appear to be very family friendly! So, it comes with 28 days of menus and recipes and even grocery lists - I can do it, I can do it, I can do it!
There was absolutely no new information. Just eat lots of fruit and vegetables, curb the red meat, etc. I guess it would be good for anyone who has not listened to news or has no clue about good eating.
Nicole Joseph
Really good information. I liked that the book gave me foods that I could eat that helped with high blood pressure instead of telling me everything I cannot eat.
Lady Jane
Provides simple, research-based guidelines for adopting diet changes that combat hypertension. Good introduction, but one needs more guidance than this book alone.
This is laid out in an easy to read format. Lots of info that is useful and makes the plan doable.
I don't have hypertenstion, but wanted a good diet book not based on the newest fads.
Just started will let you know if it works. Sounds sensible
Another book recommended by doctor. We'll see if this works.
Good plan for those who need an intro to healthy eating.
Krisko Isackson
Jane Walker
Jane Walker marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Mohammad marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
  • The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life
  • Nutritarian Handbook
  • Voices of the Food Revolution: You Can Heal Your Body and Your World--With Food!
  • The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life
  • Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead: How Fruits & Vegetables Changed My Life
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Vegan for Her: The Woman's Guide to Being Healthy and Fit on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Get Healthy, Go Vegan Cookbook
  • Healthy Eating, Healthy World: Unleashing the Power of Plant-Based Nutrition
  • The Low-Carb Fraud
  • The Stop: How the Fight for Good Food Transformed a Community and Inspired a Movement
  • The Campbell Plan: The Simple Way to Lose Weight and Reverse Illness, Using The China Study's Whole-Food, Plant-Based Diet
  • Sugar Busters! Cut Sugar to Trim Fat
  • Cooking with All Things Trader Joe's Cookbook
  • Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day
  • The Spark: The 28-Day Breakthrough Plan for Losing Weight, Getting Fit, and Transforming Your Life
  • The Four Levels of Healing: A Guide to Balancing the Spiritual, Mental, Emotional, and Physical Aspects of Life
  • Food
The Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution: 2 Weeks to Drop Pounds, Boost Metabolism, and Get Healthy The Everyday DASH Diet Cookbook: Over 150 Fresh and Delicious Recipes to Speed Weight Loss, Lower Blood Pressure, and Prevent Diabetes The DASH Diet Younger You: Shed 20 Years--and Pounds--in Just 10 Weeks The Dash Diet Younger You: Shed 20 Years - and Pounds - in Just 10 Weeks The Dash Diet Younger You: Shed 20 Years--And Pounds--In Just 10 Weeks