Start by marking “1,000 Comic Books You Must Read” as Want to Read:
1,000 Comic Books You Must Read

1,000 Comic Books You Must Read

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Hero Worship!"1000 Comic Books You Must Read" is an unforgettable journey through 70 years of comic books. Arranged by decade, this book introduces you to 1000 of the best comic books ever published and the amazing writers and artists who created them.See Superman from his debut as a sarcastic champion of the people, thumbing his nose at authority, to his current standing ...more
Published May 27th 2014 by Krause Publications (first published September 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 1,000 Comic Books You Must Read, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 1,000 Comic Books You Must Read

Let's get the obvious criticisms out of the way. The title is misleading. These are not 1000 "essential" or "best" comics, but a highly subjective cross section of seven decades of comic books. There are a few glaring ommissions, and the author includes far more Archie books from the '80s and '90s than almost anyone else would. You will also notice that of the 1000 comic books Tony Isabella thinks you must read, about 20 are written by...Tony Isabella.

I'm also unclear on what criteria was used.
I don't think that a book is the best format for this information.

Mr. Isabella provides a list of his favorite comics broken down by decade. Each section starts with a brief synopsis of what was happening in the world at the time and how this affected the comics that were published. This is all well and good. However the information provided is along the lines of what one would expect from a simple blog post.

Each comic presented as a "must read" for the decade is accompanied by an image of the c
Lots of good comics in a lot of different genres over the decades. I've been out of the comic collecting hobby for a few years now, but this made me tempted to get back in. I collected comics not out of a desire of completeness, but because I actually like reading comics, It's obvious the writer of this book does as well.[return][return]There are a few flaws that kept me from giving this a four and a half star rating instead of five. The first is that several entries end abruptly as the last lin ...more
His choices were subjective. He admitted to not reading one of Carl Barks' Disney comics but including it because he liked the cover. Although the tidbits he offered per comic could be interesting, he should have provided more information. Not worth the money. Even as a novice, there were titles I've seen on numerous top comic lists that weren't included here. He did include some underground comics and award-winning graphic novels.
A beautifully photographed comic book wishlist, from your Bettys through to Veronicas.
This book is really fun starting with issues from the 1930s all the way through the 1960s. Then it starts to peter off a little more each decade after that (like underground comix given only a few shout outs etc). Some glaring oversights, but also some really interesting comics showcasing the different eras. Worth checking out from the library, but maybe not owning.
Christopher Obert
I read this book while I was doing research for my own book about comic books and I found it very fun and useful. The book has tons of color cover images and short descriptions of each comic. Tony also gives you longer descriptions on each decade and those very important comic book issues. A great book any comic book fan will appreciate.
I was a bit leery of this one originally, but it turned out to be fantastic. Of corse there were comics thatI didn't agree with, overall the auther was right n the money.
It got interesting in the end when modern Batman and graphic novels began to appear.
Wouldn't recommended this to anyone that isn't a comic book's fan.
Miss Lasko-Gross
Fun to read, but points off for bad copy editing (a few paragraphs that cut off mid sentence) and the inclusion of an EMBARRASSING amount of his own work.
Excellent, funny, and useful book! Highly recommend for any comic fan.
Read it on Kindle. Somewhat gratified to find I'd read most of them.
"Pep Comics #17" (1941)? Yeah, I'll, uh, get right on that.

Mouhamed.Niang marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Ryan Cheek
Ryan Cheek is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2015
V.J. Sr.
V.J. Sr. marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Danny added it
Aug 04, 2015
Michaela Liebel
Michaela Liebel marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
victor added it
Jul 13, 2015
Joe marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
ALBERTO marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2015
Viswa added it
Jun 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Captain America: Liberty's Torch Champions Classic - Volume 1 Star Trek: Other Realities The Case of the Colonist's Corpse Teen Titans Spotlight #17