Start by marking “Kikis Expressbud (Kikis Expressbud #1)” as Want to Read:
Kikis Expressbud (Kikis Expressbud #1)

Kikis Expressbud (Kiki's Delivery Service #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  404 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Picture book of the movie Kiki's Delivery Service by Miyazaki Hayao, the story of a young witch who tries to start her own business. In Japanese. Annotation copyright Tsai Fong Books, Inc. Distributed by Tsai Fong Books, Inc.
Published August 2006 (first published January 25th 1985)

When I was living in Japan I decided to read a kid's book to help me practice reading at a level I could possibly undertake. Since I had seen and enjoyed the film, I decided on this one. (Better, I thought, than reading a translation of Harry Potter or something like that.) I thought, since I knew the story, I could better make guesses and use "context clues" (as they used to say in school) when confronted with unfamiliar vocabulary.

Little did I know that, like Miyazaki's godawful adaptation of
Bonnie Gayle
Jul 14, 2007 Bonnie Gayle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers, readers who have seen the movie
Shelves: fantasy-sf, reviewed
I thought this book was better in ways than the Studio Gibli movie. For one reason, she doesn't play mind games with boys in the book. In fact, she says in the book that she doesn't understand the girls that DO play mind games, so it's interesting how they portrayed her in the movie. I also like how the book has each chapter as a month that she's in the town. It worked well. There was a chapter in the book, which I read before I saw the movie, that I thought would be really good in the movie, bu ...more
Tertarik pertama kali saat mengintip rak bukunya Prince.
Sudah dalam daftar buku yang ingin dipinjam, namun saat melihat tumpukan buku ini dibawah tulisan "Harga Khusus" langsung memutuskan untuk membeli.
Namun apalah arti satu buku dibandingkan sekian buku yang masih ingin dipinjam dari Sang Prince Manoharun ^_^

Buku ini bercerita mengenai Kiki, anak perempuan yang memilki ibu seorang penyihir dan ayah manusia biasa. Pada usia 10 tahun, Kiki memutuskan untuk mengikuti jejak ibunya menjadi penyihir
Harold Ogle
Apr 29, 2012 Harold Ogle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and parents who enjoy fantasy
Shelves: children, fantasy
There're two kinds of speculative fiction: the kind that imagines people who are essentially the same as people of today, thrust into very different circumstances, and the kind that imagines that the people themselves are as different as their circumstances. It's always interesting to read a translation from a foreign country, because you often (as with Kiki's Delivery Service) can't tell which of the two it is. Kiki is a teenaged girl who's never had any romantic interest. At thirteen, she is e ...more
Harun Harahap
Kisahnya sederhana tapi menarik. Kiki yang keturunan penyihir kini berusia tiga belas tahun. Sesuai tradisi, Kiki harus meninggalkan orangtuanya dan mencari kota yang belum mempunyai penyihir. Kiki ditemani Jiji akhirnya memilih kota Koriko. Pada Awalnya, penduduk Koriko agak jengah dengan kehadirannya, tapi karena kebaikan hatinya yang suka mengantarkan barang titipan dengan imbalan seikhlasnya, penduduk Koriko akhirnya bisa menerima Kiki.
Margareta Dahlin
I have seen the story as anime film from the Ghibli Studios in Japan. I recommend that DVD warmly!!!! /--- Updated on March 6 2008> I have now read the book, in Swedish, but I think the translator missed the magic! But still I love the film they made from it! There's the magic! :-)
The story is actually too flat. No sharp conflicts or interesting detours. It's charming in its own way, I suppose, and of course, the illustration is superb.
Hirosasazaki Sasazaki
I'm glad I read it and I'm glad I read it in Japanese, but there were moments when I thought longingly of how I could have read it in two hours if it were in English. This edition is intended for the middle elementary grades, so there were only about 600 different kanji used throughout. This made it kind of difficult to read, with the eye having to scan and pull long words like だいじょうぶ out of the text and assign them meaning (thus 大丈夫, which means okay, or alright).

Very different from the movie,
Bunga Mawar
Buku tentang penyihir yang saya sukaaa... karena selain setting-nya tidak memaksa (jadi bukan "London, abad ke-18", atau "New York, tahun 2005"), penyihirnya juga begitu "manusiawi", hehe...

Namanya Kiki, umurnya baru tiga belas tahun, dan dia tidak bisa sihir lainnya kecuali terbang dengan sapu terbang penyihir. Dia bisa jadi penyihir karena ibunya, Kiriko-san, juga penyihir. Jadi rupanya kemampuan menjadi penyihir hanya bisa diturunkan dari garis ibu, ya. Kiriko-san sendiri cuma punya kemampuan
Di suatu masa, para penyihir tidak lagi menguasai banyak ilmu sihir. Termasuk Kiriko-san, ibu Kiki. Dia hanya memiliki dua sihir. Kiriko-san sangat berharap kiki akan mengikuti jejanknya, karena tak ingin ilmu sihir hanya akan dimilikinya seorang. Ia ingin mewariskannya.

Walau sangat berharap, namun semua keputusan brada di tangan Kik. Untunglah, ketika berumur 10 tahun akhirnya Kiki memutuskan untuk menjadi seorang penyihir. Mendengar keputusan anaknya, Kiriko-san, ibu kiki, segera mengajari dua
Lynn Embick-morris
"Kiki's Delivery Service" has long been one of my favorite films, and I searched for some time to get my hands on a copy of the text.

Kadono has created a world in which witches' struggles are treated with the normalcy of everyday life. It is easy to get swept up into Kiki's world, and, at times, forget that she's any different from yourself. Each adventure that she and her black cat companion embark on reveal something of Kiki's resilient, thoughtful, brave, and engaging character.
saya baru "menemukan" buku ini di sebuah lapak buku second/harga miring, dng kondisi masih baru.
Pertama cuma liat covernya, eh judul dan gambarnya mirip spt filmnya Ghibli : Kiki's Delivery Service (ada penyihir, sapu, dan kucing hitam kecil). Baca sinopsis di belakangnya, baru ngeh : Lhaaa.. ini kan memang film ituuuh !!

Setelah selesai membacanya, menurutku, novelnya ini JAUH lebih MENYENANGKAN dibanding filmnya.

Kepolosan pikiran anak2 (walaupun ia penyihir),kejadian2 aneh bin ajaib tapi lucu,
The Studio Ghibli adaptation of Kadono's classic children's story has always been one of my favourite films, so I was absolutely delighted to be able to finally read the novel. Unfortunately my Japanese is rusty, so I picked up the English translation, hoping that the charming story of a young with and her feline companion would retain its original personality. I'm sure that sme of the linguistic subtleties are lost in the translation, but Kadono's themes of independence and adventure (as well a ...more
E.J. Hagadorn
As someone who saw the movie before reading the book, I found this to be a very rewarding read. It was fun to see the source material and observe how it was adapted.
On its own, the book is very good. I found Kiki to be a very believable character, and I enjoyed her adventures. Though the book is a bit episodic, together they show her going through an entire year of life, experiencing things like discovering boys and dealing with fear and adversity and tests of integrity. By the end of the story,
Indah W
May 21, 2011

Dibanding bukunya, justru gua lebih dulu menonton versi anime-nya daaann.. I loveeeeed it! Keren bangets dhe pokoknya, huhuhu.. Kiki ini termasuk salah satu "penyihir" yang mendobrak image penyihir sebagai perempuan culas berhidung bengkok, huahahaha.. pernah ngga sih bertanya2 kenapa penyihir itu digambarkan berhidung bengkok? Emangnya hidung itu menggambarkan kondisi hati ya? :p

Anywayy.. I gotta say that watching the movie is far more enjoyable than reading the book :p

Tapii.. itu k
Rosemary Reeve
Mar 04, 2012 Rosemary Reeve rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Studio Ghibli fans and young readers.
Shelves: seen-the-movie
I was a little hesitant to read this book. Kiki's Delivery Service is my favorite of the Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli movies, and I didn't want that somehow skewed. Thankfully, the book ended up being a very pleasant little read that had the same simple charm as the movie. However, the two end up being rather different.

The beginning starts out very similarly, and it's fun and interesting to recognize which bits were picked up and used in the movie. Once Kiki lands in her new city the stories slightly
una bellissima fiaba, in quanto a profondit non si pu pretendere molto di pi. comunque un gioiellino di letteratura giapponese che merita sicuramente di essere letto, capace di commuovere anche i pi grandi. ...more
I read this book because I'm such a huge fan of Hayou Myazaki's films. I thought the book was pretty cute (its probably much better in its original language), but decided that it was Myaaki's unique charm I was really in love with. I hope that doesn't belittle the book in any way, I think the themes of innocence and coming of age were laid out in the book (or else how would it have inspired a film maker?), and of course the story was the original brainchild of the author, but I liked the movie ...more
I already knew years ago that Studio Ghibli produced an anime titled "Kiki's Delivery Service", even though I haven't seen it. Little did I know that it was adapted from a young adults' book. And a funny one, indeed.

Once I got through half of this cute book, I laughed harder and more frequently. This is a very light book that will entertain your creative mind, no matter how old you are.

I recommend you to read Kiki's stories to your kids or little nephews. I bet they're going to love Kiki, and h
sederhana, ringan, dan menghibur.
Mar 31, 2007 Scott rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: wuddums, Hello Kitty fans
This is the cutest, most charming wittle book in de wowld! Kiki's a 12-or-13-year-old witch who's not good at anything except flying on her broom, so she sets up a little courier service in the big city. She has tons of adorable little problems, none of which have to do with the usual gross and horrifying stuff that faces young adults in novels today like learning about sex and death and menstration and fighting the forces of big stinky evil.

A very quick read if you're in a fantastic mood or wan
I saw Hayao Miyazaki's film of the same title way back when I was a little kid and I was enchanted by it ever since. I didn't know it was an adaption of a book until recently, and I was elated when I found the book at the library. I can actually say now that the film is much better than the book, but I kept in mind that the book is meant for little kids... It's a very innocent book, with a light and happy feeling.
It was exciting to find that there was a book that inspired this wonderful movie. The protagonist is charming, the book more clearly a coming of age tale than the movie. The plot itself is episodic, simply a series of experiences that happen to Kiki over her first year on her own, but they tie together nicely enough and lead the reader to a warm, mature ending that my eight year old at least found moving.
Aug 17, 2010 e.c.h.a rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to e.c.h.a by: Speakercoret
Kiki yang tak kenal menyerah. Kiki yang berempati. Kiki yang menghargai sesama. Kiki yang membantu tanpa pamrih.

Banyak yang bisa dipetik dari kisah Kiki ini, satu yang saya suka; apabila kita berada di lingkungan baru, kita yang harus menyesuaikan diri. Dan kegelisahan itu pasti ada saat memulai sesuatu yang baru. Tinggal bagaimana pikiran kita mengelola kegelisahan itu menjadi kesenangan.
S.N. Arly
This is an early chapter book, and the inspiration for the Hayao Miyazaki film of the same name. There are some similarities in characters and situations, but the plot between the two is vastly different.

Like the film, it lacks a 'bad guy' which is a nice change. It's a thoroughly pleasant read, and it's unfortunate that the 3 sequels have yet to make it to/through translation.
A very sweet book! This is the story that the Miyazaki (Studio Ghibli) film is based on. The writing is simple and effective with many cute metaphors and descriptions. The book is eleven chapters of short adventures that weave together to create a whole year's picture of little witch Kiki's growth as an individual. Many emotions Kiki experiences are very insightful and relate-able.
This book is a great book about a young witch trying to make her way in the world. Originating in Japan, it is the Japanese version of Pippi Longstockings. This girl, Kiki, has a series of adventures which make the reader enjoy the personalities of the characters. After reading it, I felt the strong urge to write a good book. And I wished I could do artwork.
This book appealed to my inner child, I guess...simple, entertaining, light-hearted and fun, mixed with a small dose of magic and a feline companion. All elements which make this the perfect book to curl up with on a rainy day - or any day, really. I would liken it to Bedknobs and Broomsticks or The Worst Witch. A great, clean read. :)
Sebenarnya ceritanya sederhana -bahkan cenderung datar. Tapi saya sangat menikmati ilustrasi-ilustrasi di dalam buku dengan sampul berwarna cantik ini. Juga obrolan Kiki dengan Jiji, kucingnya -yang mengingatkan akan obrolan-obrolan saya bersama mocca, waktu kami masih tinggal bersama :')

Ah, jadi kangen rumah ubi...
kiki: Random 12 5 Jan 31, 2014 08:08PM
Fun Books for Japanese Reading Practice 1 2 Dec 17, 2013 06:51PM
  • Hari-Hari Bahagia di Bullerbyn
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Ichiro
  • Spring-Heeled Jack
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Dragon Sword and Wind Child (Tales of the Magatama, #1)
  • Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic, Volume 15
  • Manxmouse
  • The Traveling Restaurant: Jasper's Voyage in Three Parts (A Tale of Fontania #1)
  • Sfeer Theory: Uitspan Era Catalogue 1 (Sfeer Theory, #1)
  • Cora Cooks Pancit
  • Heretic
  • The Art of My Neighbor Totoro
  • The Secret Footprints
  • Anh's Anger
  • Moribito II: Guardian of the Darkness (Moribito, #2)
  • The Rise and Fall of Mount Majestic
  • The Runaway Dragon (Runaway Princess, #2)
Eiko Kadono is a Japanese author of children's literature, picture books, non-fiction and essays in Shōwa and Heisei period Japan. Kadono was born in Tokyo, and attended the Nihon Fukushi University in Aichi prefecture, followed by a degree in English literature from Waseda University. After graduation in 1960 at the age of 25, she emigrated to Brazil, where she spent two years. She wrote a nonfic ...more
More about Eiko Kadono...

Kiki's Delivery Service (6 books)
  • Den Nya Häxkonsten (Kikis Expressbud #2)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その3 キキともうひとりの魔女 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #3)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その4 キキの恋 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #4)
  • 魔女の宅急便 その5 魔法のとまり木 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #5)
  • Sorezore No Tabidachi
Grandpa's Soup Kiki's Delivery Service Den Nya Häxkonsten (Kikis Expressbud #2) 魔女の宅急便 その3 キキともうひとりの魔女 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #3) 魔女の宅急便 その5 魔法のとまり木 (Kiki's Delivery Service, #5)