Start by marking “The Hearing (Dismas Hardy, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Hearing (Dismas Hardy, #7)

The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  2,476 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
The call comes at midnight. It looks like a tragic and petty murder -- a rising star in San Francisco's legal firmament found shot in a dark alley. But for homicide lieutenant Abe Glitsky, the crime cuts horribly close to home -- unknown to anyone, the victim was his daughter. Seething, Glitsky leans hard on his only suspect -- a homeless heroin addict found lingering over ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Dutton Adult (first published September 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Hearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hearing

Ted Wagoner
Oct 06, 2012 Ted Wagoner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hard book for me to put down. I like court room scenes, lawyers and police working together and this one was chocked full of court room antics and schemes.. Dismis Hardy is a great character,,kind of a super man being a husband, a good father, a defense attorney, a homicides cop best friend, and even a little match making on the side.. The writer doesn't just suggest possible alternate possibilities but he writes in a way that you, the reader, come up with these possibilities on your ...more
Neeka
Jan 09, 2014 Neeka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: john-lescroart
I will never get bored with any of his writing. Lescroart has a style that just pulls you into the story and you sit back and take it all in....if you are interested in shows like Law and Order, I think you will enjoy these books....
I find that the stories with political corruption are some of my favorites.... mixed with murder. I will even admit that I like Lescroart a bit more than Grisham, at least Grisham in his later writing.
Nan Williams
Jul 01, 2014 Nan Williams added it
Shelves: quit
I thought I had read all of John Lescroart's books, certainly all of them featuring Dismas Hardy. I was thrilled to find The Hearing written in 2001. I looked forward to enjoying it as I have enjoyed his other books.

Nope, not so. The plot was probably a good one, but he just couldn't get away from the racial issue. Every single page we had to read what color someone was and that they were dating (or married to) someone of a different color. How many times did he mention (and emphasize) that Abe
R.
Jan 09, 2015 R. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book, kept me hooked throughout even after it was sorta clear who the killer was. Equal parts procedural and human-interest. Dismas Hardy, Abe Glitsky and Freeman are all characters you like and root for; even Hardy's client, Cole Burgess, grows on you after a while. On the whole, I wasn't surprised I was hooked to the book, and the next thing on my list is to look for more in the Dismas Hardy series.
Jane Giardino
Apr 22, 2015 Jane Giardino rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Lescroart read and it will not be the last. I liked the main characters and the plot was complex and well done. Suspenseful as in the best John Grisham novels but with more humor and sophistication. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Coralie
Aug 10, 2014 Coralie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a courtroom drama in a while and this one was excellent. The author is a little long winded, but I still stayed up until the early morning hours to finish this book because I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended!
Wanda
Jul 26, 2016 Wanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dismas Hardy is pulled into helping a young man accused of murdering a prominent attorney. The man is a drug addict and doesn't remember what happened. The dead attorney turns out to be Abe Glitsky's illegitimate daughter. The accused is also the brother-in-law of Dismas's friend, Jeff, who is a newspaper journalist. While investigating what happened Abe is put on leave because he gives some information to Dismas and as a cop he isn't supposed to help the defense attorney. He continues to invest ...more
Joanne
Sep 01, 2010 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Police discover the body of prominent attorney Elaine Wager dead in an alley, with her killer leaning over her. Or did they? DA Sharron Pratt, who has been soft on crime and needs help if she is to be re-elected, publicly announces that the killer confessed and she will seek the death penalty. Dismas Hardy is hired to defend the accused, who was drunk and coming down from a heroine high when he was discovered over the body.

His good friend, chief of homicide Abe Glitsky, reveals that Elaine is hi

Joanne rated it 4 of 5 stars false

His good friend, chie
Gerry
Apr 09, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Homicide investigator Abe Glitsky receives a late night call reporting a murder, and the victim turns out to be his unacknowledged daughter, now a young lawyer. Her death is at first believed to be random, the aftermath of a mugging, but some have doubts that the “obvious” perpetrator is truly guilty. The case sets off a political firestorm when the D.A., fighting for re-election, decides to use this case to prop up her ailing campaign.
Mike Barker
Liked it. This one dealt with Glitsky's family and fall from grace in the homicide division and Hardy's skills as a trial lawyer. The preliminary hearing seemed just a little farcical, but I stuck with it to the end. The biggest weakness was how long it took to deal with the missing detective. Seemed like smarter crime-solvers would have moved on that faster.
Enrico Tassinari
Jul 16, 2014 Enrico Tassinari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lescroart's skill in describing Hardy's serie setting and enviroment gets better novel after novel. Good Police procedural, good legal thriller, nice and deep characters, good pace, good mystery with some good final twists. It lacks a bit of reality as Lescroart lately tends to involve too high profile community characters in blood crimes (Senators, big lawyers, big managers, D.A.).
J
Dec 09, 2012 J rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I don't hide or promote my reviews.

Attorney Dismas Hardy "co-stars" with his buddy, police detective Lt. Abraham Glitsky in this installment.

Plot revolves around an apparently good-for-nothing young white drug addict who's the suspect that the D.A.'s office "likes" for the murder of a brilliant, attractive, charismatic (and yet, at some level, troubled) female black attorney, who was killed while walking late on a public street.

Turns out the white druggie may not have done it
ReBecca
This book had a slow start and could have probably been cut a hundred pages, but overall I enjoyed the book. Suspenseful and kept you wanting to know more. The ends twist and finding out who the real killer was, was intense. Definitely would recommend!
Frank Corriveau
Jan 24, 2016 Frank Corriveau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
Riveting, great character development. Suspense, drama and a great legal backdrop. All in all I really enjoyed this author and will look for other novels.
Julie
May 18, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good legal mystery. Maybe read it long ago...at least I've read a later book about these characters. Enjoy this author...always fun to read.
Sue
The Hearing reminds me of a Law and Order episode except with a few twists. In a typical episode, the homicide detectives and the prosecution are working together to put the bad guys/gals in jail. In this story, the detective and defense team up to find the real killer.

It took a while to get into the story, but once I did, it became a page turner. The plot got a bit complicated so reading at night was problematic as I retained probably 70%. I had to re-read the ending in the morning to fully und
Ron
Feb 08, 2015 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has it all...
Corrupt bureaucrats, dishonest attorneys, murder, beautiful women, smart men, cute kids and courtroom intrigue.
Marty Fried
Sep 14, 2016 Marty Fried rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, audiobooks
I really enjoy reading books from this series. It's certainly not great fiction, but it's fun to read. Fairly easy to follow, characters that you either love or hate, and usually happy endings. Also, there's usually some good guy who's in big trouble, and is unlikely to get out of it.

There's a nice sprinkling of good humor throughout, and I like the interactions between the two main characters, Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky. I suspect John Lescroart likes to joke around, and he seems to have a go
Robin Campbell
Jul 21, 2014 Robin Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book of the series I have read I will go back and read them from the beginning.
Terri Floccare
Not bad, but not my favorite Dismas Hardy book. I think much of this can be attributed to my reading them out of order. This series ages the characters and mentions events from prior books. I did love getting to know And Glitsky better. He's a well written, interesting character.
Loretta
Dec 01, 2015 Loretta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dismas Hardy is back in the courtroom, trying to come up with a defense that will save his client, even though all evidence points to Cole as being the killer.
Sandi Stover
Jul 01, 2015 Sandi Stover rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad to see that Glitsky gets a personal life. Good story line.
Ed Klein
Jul 03, 2015 Ed Klein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fine courtroom / investigation mystery , with , surprisingly , no overt sexual or vulgarity issues !
Sue Gosland
Love all his books, all these characters.
Leo
Oct 28, 2015 Leo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pulled me in and didn't let me go...
Jim
Oct 03, 2014 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller, as always.
Rosanne
Feb 13, 2016 Rosanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really excellent!
Lee
This Dismas Hardy book follows the case of the murder of Elaine Wager his good friend Abe Glitsky's "secret daughter". Hardy is drawn into the case when the man accused of the crime turns out to be the brother-in-law of his friend Jeff Elliott. Originally only tasked to make sure he is not railroaded Hardy ends up taking the case. When Glitsky is removed from the case they try to figure out if the police have arrested the right killer. Good back and forth investigative and courtroom action from ...more
Judy Green
Jul 22, 2016 Judy Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
UNC+
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • The Final Judgment
  • Capitol Murder (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • The Last Innocent Man
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy, #1)
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)

“The Beck seemed to feel that if she let her guard down for an instant, she would die. Kidnappers lurked in every public bathroom, you got cancer if you caught a whiff of secondhand tobacco smoke, bombs and handguns proliferated in high schools everywhere, you caught AIDS if you even kissed you boyfriend. God forbid you got a sunburn of forgot to fasten your seat belt.” 0 likes