Start by marking “The Hearing (Dismas Hardy, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Hearing (Dismas Hardy, #7)

The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  2,095 ratings  ·  75 reviews
The call comes at midnight. It looks like a tragic and petty murder -- a rising star in San Francisco's legal firmament found shot in a dark alley. But for homicide lieutenant Abe Glitsky, the crime cuts horribly close to home -- unknown to anyone, the victim was his daughter. Seething, Glitsky leans hard on his only suspect -- a homeless heroin addict found lingering over ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Dutton Adult (first published September 7th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Hearing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hearing

Ted Wagoner
This was a hard book for me to put down. I like court room scenes, lawyers and police working together and this one was chocked full of court room antics and schemes.. Dismis Hardy is a great character,,kind of a super man being a husband, a good father, a defense attorney, a homicides cop best friend, and even a little match making on the side.. The writer doesn't just suggest possible alternate possibilities but he writes in a way that you, the reader, come up with these possibilities on your ...more
Nan Williams
Jul 01, 2014 Nan Williams added it
Shelves: quit
I thought I had read all of John Lescroart's books, certainly all of them featuring Dismas Hardy. I was thrilled to find The Hearing written in 2001. I looked forward to enjoying it as I have enjoyed his other books.

Nope, not so. The plot was probably a good one, but he just couldn't get away from the racial issue. Every single page we had to read what color someone was and that they were dating (or married to) someone of a different color. How many times did he mention (and emphasize) that Abe
Neeka
I will never get bored with any of his writing. Lescroart has a style that just pulls you into the story and you sit back and take it all in....if you are interested in shows like Law and Order, I think you will enjoy these books....
I find that the stories with political corruption are some of my favorites.... mixed with murder. I will even admit that I like Lescroart a bit more than Grisham, at least Grisham in his later writing.
Joanne
Police discover the body of prominent attorney Elaine Wager dead in an alley, with her killer leaning over her. Or did they? DA Sharron Pratt, who has been soft on crime and needs help if she is to be re-elected, publicly announces that the killer confessed and she will seek the death penalty. Dismas Hardy is hired to defend the accused, who was drunk and coming down from a heroine high when he was discovered over the body.

His good friend, chief of homicide Abe Glitsky, reveals that Elaine is hi
Chris

Joanne
Sep 01, 2010
Joanne rated it 4 of 5 stars false

His good friend, chie
R.
Excellent book, kept me hooked throughout even after it was sorta clear who the killer was. Equal parts procedural and human-interest. Dismas Hardy, Abe Glitsky and Freeman are all characters you like and root for; even Hardy's client, Cole Burgess, grows on you after a while. On the whole, I wasn't surprised I was hooked to the book, and the next thing on my list is to look for more in the Dismas Hardy series.
Mike Barker
Liked it. This one dealt with Glitsky's family and fall from grace in the homicide division and Hardy's skills as a trial lawyer. The preliminary hearing seemed just a little farcical, but I stuck with it to the end. The biggest weakness was how long it took to deal with the missing detective. Seemed like smarter crime-solvers would have moved on that faster.
Enrico Tassinari
Lescroart's skill in describing Hardy's serie setting and enviroment gets better novel after novel. Good Police procedural, good legal thriller, nice and deep characters, good pace, good mystery with some good final twists. It lacks a bit of reality as Lescroart lately tends to involve too high profile community characters in blood crimes (Senators, big lawyers, big managers, D.A.).
J
BEWARE OF SPOILERS. I don't hide or promote my reviews.

Attorney Dismas Hardy "co-stars" with his buddy, police detective Lt. Abraham Glitsky in this installment.

Plot revolves around an apparently good-for-nothing young white drug addict who's the suspect that the D.A.'s office "likes" for the murder of a brilliant, attractive, charismatic (and yet, at some level, troubled) female black attorney, who was killed while walking late on a public street.

Turns out the white druggie may not have done it
Coralie
I haven't read a courtroom drama in a while and this one was excellent. The author is a little long winded, but I still stayed up until the early morning hours to finish this book because I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended!
Ann
Dismas Hardy, attorney and Abe Glitsky, cop. I love this series almost as much as Tanenbaum's Butch and Marlene. I haven't read this series in order so this is not the latest. Never mind, it's outstanding entertainment. It just keeps you involved to the exclusion of everything else.
ReBecca
This book had a slow start and could have probably been cut a hundred pages, but overall I enjoyed the book. Suspenseful and kept you wanting to know more. The ends twist and finding out who the real killer was, was intense. Definitely would recommend!
Jane Giardino
This was my first Lescroart read and it will not be the last. I liked the main characters and the plot was complex and well done. Suspenseful as in the best John Grisham novels but with more humor and sophistication. Thoroughly enjoyable!
Sue
The Hearing reminds me of a Law and Order episode except with a few twists. In a typical episode, the homicide detectives and the prosecution are working together to put the bad guys/gals in jail. In this story, the detective and defense team up to find the real killer.

It took a while to get into the story, but once I did, it became a page turner. The plot got a bit complicated so reading at night was problematic as I retained probably 70%. I had to re-read the ending in the morning to fully und
Ron
This book has it all...
Corrupt bureaucrats, dishonest attorneys, murder, beautiful women, smart men, cute kids and courtroom intrigue.
Robin Campbell
This is the first book of the series I have read I will go back and read them from the beginning.
Sandi Stover
I'm glad to see that Glitsky gets a personal life. Good story line.
Ed Klein
Fine courtroom / investigation mystery , with , surprisingly , no overt sexual or vulgarity issues !
Jim
Great thriller, as always.
Lee
This Dismas Hardy book follows the case of the murder of Elaine Wager his good friend Abe Glitsky's "secret daughter". Hardy is drawn into the case when the man accused of the crime turns out to be the brother-in-law of his friend Jeff Elliott. Originally only tasked to make sure he is not railroaded Hardy ends up taking the case. When Glitsky is removed from the case they try to figure out if the police have arrested the right killer. Good back and forth investigative and courtroom action from ...more
Debby Gwyllt-smith
Couldn't even finish it....so boring. Half way through and said that was enough!
Carol Macdowell
I liked it although it wasn't something I would burn through. Good plot and the book where Abe and Treya get together. A little lacking in the romance end of things. Too long, but accurate and detailed in the courtroom proceedings and that's why I read it.
Susan
A popular attorney is killed. It appears that the killer is in custody. But, then we find out that the attorney was the love child of series regular, Homicide Detective Art Gilsky. And the killer is the brother of a good friend of the other series regular, defense attorney Dismis Hardy. I like these characters a lot and have enjoyed all the other Hardy/Gilsky books. This one started off fairly slowly but about a third of the way in, I was totally hooked.
Kurt Young
2nd book I've read of Lescroart. He's a solid, if long-winded author. What he does so well, give depth to his characters, is also his biggest flaw. Every secondary, and tertiary character has a back story. While the depth to everything makes for an interesting read, it ultimately lead to a feeling that I'd worked too hard. What could have been an exciting, crisp whodunit/courtroom drama ended up feeling like a long slog.
Jaime
I really enjoy Lescroart’s books. This is a series I’ve been reading out of order, so unfortunately I already know the fate of some of the characters. But, it doesn’t really matter. The books still suck me in, and the third part of this book was really fast-paced and interesting. Lescroart managed to throw in a twist that even I didn’t expect, and that’s pretty hard to do!
Ogross
Nice easy read, kind of like sitting through Law & Order. Although I was surprised to come across three or four words that I've never seen before in the midst of rather uninspired prose. "preprandial"? Not quite the "spine tingling thriller" it's advertised as on the cover, but a fun read while the kids are playing and I don't have to pay too much attention.
Mary Mangus
This is the second book I have read by him, the first was the Oath. Really enjoyed the book and am finding myself becoming invested in the characters. There are the two main characters of Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitzky but the supporting characters are just as interesting. I will definitely be reading more about these two guys.
Joel Ungar
Any book that I willingly stay up an hour past "bedtime" because I have to see how it ends is a 5 star book for me.

I really enjoyed this book. Great, realistic characters with real flaws. I kind of guessed where it was going but there were surprises right up to the end.

I plan on reading other books by the author.
Al Canary
.... Read again in 5/14 & did a little better with the characters. Great writing with Abe discovering 'Treya' and making the decision to try for another baby with Her. (Flo has died & left Abe with 3 mostly grown kids and a housekeeper 'Rita'?)

Great shades of Sherlock Holmes in story development.
Ace
I've read most of the recent Dismas Hardy books, and some of the early ones, but, somehow, I had missed this one. My bad! This has to be the best of them all. It's like a gigantic engine with each cylinder finely tuned and running perfectly... like a symphony. This is Lescroart's tour de force.
  • Double Tap (Paul Madriani, #8)
  • Eclipse
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • Capitol Murder: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #14)
  • Blinded (Alan Gregory, #12)
John Lescroart (born January 14, 1948) is an American author best known for two series of legal and crime thriller novels featuring the characters Dismas Hardy and Abe Glitsky.

Lescroart was born in Houston, Texas, and graduated from Junípero Serra High School, San Mateo, California (Class of 1966). He then went on to earn a B.A. in English with Honors at UC Berkeley in 1970. In addition to his nov
More about John Lescroart...

Dismas Hardy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dead Irish
  • The Vig (Dismas Hardy, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy, #3)
  • The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4)
  • The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5)
  • Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy, #6)
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11)
The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy, #4) Damage (Abe Glitsky, #3) A Plague of Secrets (Dismas Hardy, #13) The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10) Dead Irish

“The Beck seemed to feel that if she let her guard down for an instant, she would die. Kidnappers lurked in every public bathroom, you got cancer if you caught a whiff of secondhand tobacco smoke, bombs and handguns proliferated in high schools everywhere, you caught AIDS if you even kissed you boyfriend. God forbid you got a sunburn of forgot to fasten your seat belt.” 0 likes