Start by marking “Spongebob Squarepants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea!” as Want to Read:
Spongebob Squarepants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea!

Spongebob Squarepants and Philosophy: Soaking Up Secrets Under the Sea! (Popular Culture and Philosophy #60)

SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy" introduces fans of "SpongeBob SquarePants" to some of the great thinkers and questions in philosophy. The essays can be shared by young and old alike, kindling new interest in philosophy and lifeOCOs big questions. What keeps "SpongeBob" OC reeling inOCO major audiences on a daily basis is that underneath the lighthearted and whimsical ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Open Court Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Spongebob Squarepants and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spongebob Squarepants and Philosophy

Ted
I didn’t finish this book, read about 30% of it. Really I was just sampling the series of “Pop Culture & Philosophy” books, and chose this one because (a) my grandkids have enjoyed the TV series, (b) my son claims to like it, and (c) I’ve seen enough of it myself when the grandkids watch to at least know what the book is talking about.

Actually, if I leave it sit near where I read, I might read more.

I wanted to give it 3 stars. I chose 4 for the reason stated at the end of My Reaction.

I thin
Ginan Aulia Rahman
Oleh Hasbi Ilman Hakim

Dalam kedalaman laut yang mencekam bersama langit yang berbunga-bunga, keluarlah seekor spons kuning dari nanas yang berpintu, berjingkat-jingkat melewati rumah model patung Easter Island sembari melantunkan nada harian dengan semangat, “Aku siap, aku siap, aku siap!”.

Dan adegan selanjutnya –bagi kita yang selalu menontonnya setiap hari di layar televisi—mampu kita tebak: Squidward, seekor gurita yang cukup ambisius dalam meraih harga dan kejayaan diri, berteriak kasar kepa
Elysa
I thought this would be slightly ridiculous, but it ended up being incredibly insightful and informative. I understand a lot of the ideas discussed better after seeing how they relate to Spongebob, and it gave me interesting information about the show and people's reactions to it that I had never known.
pearl
Dec 30, 2011 pearl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I actually own this (as an ebook) and I am going to read it and tell you all about it.
Hana Bilqisthi
Nov 13, 2012 Hana Bilqisthi rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, filsafat
Selama ini gue selalu mikir ada pesan apa yang bisa gue dapet dari menonton spongebob dan gue ngga menyangka ada sekumpulan orang yang membahas spongebob dengan serius.. mereka adalah Joseph j. foy dan rekan-rekannya.. buku ini memberikan pandangan baru dalam memahami karakter-karakter dalam spongebob squarepant dan bikini bottom .. entah dalam cara mendapatkan kebahagiaan, keadaan negara yang ideal, gmbaran ilmuwan, teman sejati dan banyak hal lainnya :)

beberapa qoutes yang gue suka:

“money is o
Batty Amnesia
Jun 11, 2015 Batty Amnesia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keby som to mala celé zhrnúť tak knihu som si naozaj obľúbila ale určite by sa tu našli menšie chybičky. Tá pre mňa najhlavnejšia je tá, že to nie je pre každého fanúšika SpongeBoba a ja sama som sa pri čítaní občas potrápila. Niekedy som už zaspávala, pretože azda iba filozof by dokázal filozofickú knihu prečítať na jeden šup. Ale ak ste fanúšik tejto morskej špongie tak naozaj vrelo odporúčam. Samotná anotácia by chcela prilákať i malých čitateľov ale toto by zrejme po prvej strane odložili.
h
Sylvester
Sep 21, 2015 Sylvester rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Such a rip-off. SpongeBob SquarePants and Philosophy is a terrible hack collection on essays with over the top interpretation of the characters and episodes to convey some sort of propaganda of the writers. This pop culture philosophy book will only make you regret reading it.
Rhianna
May 31, 2011 Rhianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first thing I do when I finish school is read a book with chapters written by two of my favorite professors. I liked it. I enjoyed the chapter relating to dreams, it makes me want to read more by Descartes since it's been a while.
Mega Larasati
Apr 30, 2015 Mega Larasati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Spongebob and this is an interesting book. I only read the first 4 chapters since I got it for free on Google Books but it's really worth it, especially for you who like popular culture.
David
A fun introduction to different western philosophers and philosophical issues through popular entertainment.
Norma
Mar 16, 2012 Norma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was surprisingly enjoyable and insightful.
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Melissa Hill
Melissa Hill rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2017
Fannylin
Fannylin rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2012
Taylor Ramage
Taylor Ramage rated it liked it
Oct 03, 2016
Devon Chodzin
Devon Chodzin rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2016
Nicole Pramik
May 29, 2014 Nicole Pramik rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
'Izzat Radzi
'Izzat Radzi rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Dennis
Dennis rated it it was amazing
Jan 14, 2012
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2011
Jesse Peterson
Jesse Peterson rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2013
Eliška Stehnová
Eliška Stehnová rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Cosmo
Cosmo rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Austin Rose
Austin Rose rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Robert Carlson
Robert Carlson rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2015
Josefina Barrancos
Josefina Barrancos rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2014
Adam
Adam rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Erik Benjamin
Erik Benjamin rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Kell
Kell rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016

Popular Culture and Philosophy (1 - 10 of 102 books)
  • Seinfeld and Philosophy: A Book About Everything and Nothing (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • The Simpsons and Philosophy: The D'oh! of Homer
  • The Matrix and Philosophy: Welcome to the Desert of the Real
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • The Sopranos and Philosophy: I Kill Therefore I Am (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Woody Allen and Philosophy: [You Mean My Whole Fallacy Is Wrong?]
  • Harry Potter and Philosophy: If Aristotle Ran Hogwarts
  • Mel Gibson's Passion and Philosophy: The Cross, the Questions, the Controverssy