Start by marking “Hell Baby” as Want to Read:
Hell Baby

Hell Baby

From one of Japan's most accomplished artists comes this new graphic novel, the unsettling saga of twin sisters born one dark and stormy night in Tokyo: one normal, and one a demon baby with a taste for blood - a Hell Baby. Tossed into a garbage dump, Hell Baby dies in the plastic bag but is brought back to life by an unworldly bolt of lightening. Hell Baby develops hard-e ...more
Published January 12th 1995 by Blast Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Baby

Sarri
Jun 22, 2015 Sarri rated it liked it
Japanilainen "kauhu"manga rujona syntyneestä kaksostytöstä, jonka isä heittää jätepussissa kaatopaikalle. Tyttö kuolee, mutta erinäisten yhteensattumien kautta tyttö herää jälleen henkiin ja kasvaa kaatopaikalla syöden raatoja ja metsästäen kaatopaikan eläimiä. Kun tyttö täyttää seitsemän, ilmestyy valon keskeltä vanha nainen, joka ohjeistaa tytön menemään läheiseen kaupunkiin, jotta hän kostaisi heitteillejättönsä ja kohtaisi lopullisen kohtalonsa siellä.

Tyttö lähtee kaupunkiin ja aiheuttaa ka
nobody nico
Jan 26, 2015 nobody nico rated it it was ok
This book is very popular in horror manga circles but its a disappointing read for serious horror fans who are already familiar with the likes of junji itou, nakayama masaaki etc. Hino's Horror series has better storylines and art to offer.
Reetta Saine
Jun 23, 2015 Reetta Saine rated it liked it
Shelves: kauhu, sarjis, fiilis, 2015
Ihanan vastenmielistä ja kamalaa. Raatojen imeskelyä, matojen putoilua, elävältä paloittelua.

Lopulta kaunis (?) tarina uhrautumisesta, katumuksesta ja ehkä vähän liiankin kiltistä murhaajavauvasta.
James Dunphy
Sep 30, 2014 James Dunphy rated it really liked it
Hell Girl is the start to my Halloween Horror reading fest. It's quick, sweet, easy, and to the point. All while being grotesquely drawn by horror manga mastermind Hideshi Hino (who I have previously read the excellent Panorama of Hell from). This horror one-shot is a simple tale of a the life of a demonic female baby, hopelessly abandoned by her father at birth and forced to grow up in a junkyard struggling against other vermin. She grows up into a deformed scavenger who eventually makes her wa ...more
Errol
Jan 06, 2013 Errol rated it liked it
I guess if you're looking for something more emotional that scary, which I wasn't at the time. But it had a ending that could make your heart heavy or something like that. Not much of a horror as it is a drama but I still liked it. The art work is sort of meh but the story gets its point across.
Merzbau
Feb 11, 2017 Merzbau rated it really liked it
i've never read a Nicholas Sparks novel and i've only seen part of one of his movies (i couldn't tell you which one, aren't they all pretty interchangeable though?) but i imagine if he wrote a horror manga it would be something like this. there's no romance but it is completely manipulative with no intention of anything other than trying to make you sad. it succeeded. i was totally bummed out after reading it. i'm also bummed about talking about Nicholas Sparks. is he still a thing? whatever. an ...more
Derek Parker
Nov 17, 2016 Derek Parker rated it really liked it
A classic horror manga. Potentially hokey in places, but that's a bit part of its charm. I wish more of Hideshi Hino's work was still in print in English.
Sandro Filipe
Mar 23, 2017 Sandro Filipe rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, horror
Rate: 3.5 stars
Tina
Mar 14, 2017 Tina added it
Shelves: manga, horror
I don't know how to rate this. I don't even know how to review it. The manga was disturbing, odd, and disgusting. I don't know if that's good or bad. All I know is that I have never read anything like it, and I still don't quite know what to make of it.
Nick
Feb 23, 2017 Nick rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, japan, horror, 1980s
I remember not really enjoying this and finding it a bit basic.
Matti Karjalainen
Jul 28, 2015 Matti Karjalainen rated it it was ok
Recommended to Matti by: Sarri
Hideshi Hinon kauhuharrastajat muistanevat parhaiten kyseenalaista mainetta aikanaan niittäneestä Guinea Pig -elokuvasarjasta, mutta onpa hänen kynästään lähtenyt myös sarjakuvia (tai itse asiassa pari elokuvista pohjautuu näihin mangoihin, tiesi vanha kunnon Wiki-setä kertoa).

"Hell Baby" on suoraviivaisesti etenevä kauhutarina perheestä, johon syntyy eräänä ja myrskyisenä yönä kaksi tytärtä. Toinen näistä on tavallinen vauva, toinen taas lapsi suoraan helvetistä. Isä kauhistuu, tappaa tyttären
Eric
Jan 02, 2016 Eric rated it really liked it
Man, I feel like this book and Hino in general are ripe for a rediscovery what with the successes / popularity of Junji Ito, Suehiro Maruo, and the like on tumblr or other similar art sharing sites. This is a weird comedy that actually reminds me of a 2000 AD strip in that it's a bunch of short 12 page chapters that nudge the story along until it gets going at which point it kind of rips through it. The story is about uh redemption through selflessness (?) and it's told by a resurrected zombie g ...more
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it
When I purchased this manga, I didn't know what to expect. I'm a fan of Hino's other work, but I will admit that at times the sheer gruesomeness will be a bit overpowering. This manga was no exception. What I liked was that even though the average reader will find themselves repulsed by the acts of Hell Baby, you can't help but feel a bit sorry for what it's had to go through.

In this manga you have two babies born as twins, however one is beautiful & perfect... and the other is born a hideo
Miss
Sep 08, 2016 Miss rated it liked it
El estilo de Hideshi hino es uno muy particular y que a medida que lees más de sus obras, te puedes acostumbrar a este con más facilidad. El manga en general me gustó, aunque creo que le faltó ser más detallado en cuanto al paisaje y los lugares donde tomaban parte los suesos. Considero pertinente dar mi opinión respecto a que si hay personas que lo desean leer por el mero hecho de pasar un rato de terror, ese no va a ser el caso, ya que la forma en que se dan los sucesos, llevan a un final dife ...more
Elh R'
Jun 24, 2015 Elh R' rated it it was amazing
I loved it !!!

I used to read manga when I was a teen, then, I stopped because it appeared to be all the same. After some time, I acquired some collection of horror manga, this book was in there. Every book that I read so far from the collection is amazing, not your typical, stereotypical big eyes manga, and this book is no exception.

The story is very lovely, a deformed baby is abandoned in a junk graveyard, only to grew and take revenge over humanity. The story is very touching, dramatic, and He
Brian Hoffmeister
Oct 26, 2015 Brian Hoffmeister rated it really liked it
While it has its silly moments, this graphic novel is both effective and heartening. A deformed baby disregarded at birth, learns to live off the blood of animals in the trash dump, before it sets out to search for its family. In the meantime sure, the baby attacks people and tears arms off, feeding off the flesh of anyone it encounters, but for being a cheesy horror comic, I thought it evoked far more emotions than it should have. My daughter really liked it, though she was tearing up the whole ...more
Anña  Karenina
Well I'm not a big fan of Hideshi's art. The story was fine it was kinda cliche for me. I guess the only thing that I liked is when the hell baby died. But who the hell is the Hag is she some kind of sorcerer I mean everything was fine from the start until she came up and messed the story up. So I guess it's kinda okay.
Faris Morgan
Aug 20, 2013 Faris Morgan rated it really liked it
I'm surprised because I really liked this book...It touched me. The story is so pure and so sad. Of course, people complain about the artwork but what else do you expect from the 1980's? The storyline was important to me. I don't want to say any spoilers, but I recommend others to read this. It's such a short manga and you can finish it in maybe half an hour :)
Jason Bradshaw
Nov 23, 2016 Jason Bradshaw rated it really liked it
The story and art here are nothing particularly special. They're functional in that it's well put together and competently executed. The real charm, what endears itself to me in this book is Hino's bluntly disturbing almost fairy tale-like aesthetic. It's amusing in just how unsettling and unflinchingly vicious it's execution is. Loved it <3
Kevin
Jul 31, 2009 Kevin rated it liked it
A discarded deformed twin lives in a junkyard and lives off of dead animals. Guided by a mysterious voice in her head, she goes to the city and wrecks bloody havoc. Over the top macabre manga action.
Xisix
Jul 12, 2012 Xisix rated it really liked it
Grimey black and white drawings of a freakish monster child left to die in a garbage dump. Bleak and poignant with some over the top violence thrown in for good measure. Makes think of Suehiro Maruo and his 'Ultragash Inferno' . ...
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Mar 30, 2010 Veronika KaoruSaionji rated it it was amazing
Very sad and movin horror manga about deformed child (girl) who is rejected by its parents and try survive by killing animals and later people. At the end, she cant to kill her healthy sister and she died (shot by police) because it. Very bitter. But amazing. ...more
Mauricio Garcia
Jan 24, 2016 Mauricio Garcia rated it it was amazing
;_____________;
I was so not ready for this book.
We're all hell baby trying to make it for those city lights...
Sandro Ricardo
Dec 03, 2012 Sandro Ricardo marked it as to-read
great book
Chris ROOFTOP
Oct 02, 2015 Chris ROOFTOP rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Love it . It left me feeling so sad for hell baby
Jordan West
Jan 25, 2014 Jordan West rated it liked it
Shelves: library, read-in-2014
Early Hino, much more cartoony and simplistic in tone than his later work, enlivened by some interesting art and sudden bursts of arterial spray. The ending is almost unbearably poignant.
David Balfour
Jan 09, 2013 David Balfour rated it it was ok
Tame and predictable. Absolutely nothing of interest here.
Justin Garver
Dec 15, 2009 Justin Garver rated it really liked it
What a depressing story! This is a very good manga about a baby who turns into a zombie and seeks her family. This is actually a very well done story, by a great mangaka.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ultra-Gash Inferno
  • Parasyte, Volume 2
  • 鉄コン筋クリート(1)
  • Tomie, Volume 1 (The Junji Ito Horror Comic Collection #1)
  • Ichi the killer, vol. 1
  • Strange Embrace
  • Franken Fran 1
  • MW
  • MPD Psycho, Vol. 1
  • Cat Eyed Boy, Vol. 1 (Cat Eyed Boy, #1)
  • Kitaro
Hideshi Hino (日野日出志 Hino Hideshi, born April 19, 1946) is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in horror stories. His comics include Hell Baby, Hino Horrors, and Panorama of Hell. He also wrote and directed two of the Guinea Pig horror movies which were based on his manga: Flower of Flesh and Blood, which he also starred in, and Mermaid in a Manhole.
More about Hideshi Hino...