Start by marking “Hell Baby” as Want to Read:
Hell Baby

Hell Baby

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  17 reviews
From one of Japan's most accomplished artists comes this new graphic novel, the unsettling saga of twin sisters born one dark and stormy night in Tokyo: one normal, and one a demon baby with a taste for blood - a Hell Baby. Tossed into a garbage dump, Hell Baby dies in the plastic bag but is brought back to life by an unworldly bolt of lightening. Hell Baby develops hard-e ...more
Published January 12th 1995 by Blast Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Baby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Baby

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe HillThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanHellboy, Vol. 1 by Mike MignolaFrom Hell by Alan Moore30 Days of Night, Vol. 1 by Steve Niles
Best Horror Comics/Graphic Novels!
63rd out of 224 books — 142 voters
GOTH by OtsuichiThe Voices of a Distant Star by Makoto ShinkaiWanted by Matsuri HinoYume Kira Dream Shoppe by Aqua MizutoThe One I Love by CLAMP
Manga Oneshots
71st out of 223 books — 128 voters

More lists with this book...

pollyanna patel
Hell Baby is so kawaii, I would sleep with a plushy doll designed after her. This book is very popular in horror manga circles but its a disappointing read for serious horror fans who are already familiar with the likes of junji itou, nakayama masaaki etc.
James Dunphy
Hell Girl is the start to my Halloween Horror reading fest. It's quick, sweet, easy, and to the point. All while being grotesquely drawn by horror manga mastermind Hideshi Hino (who I have previously read the excellent Panorama of Hell from). This horror one-shot is a simple tale of a the life of a demonic female baby, hopelessly abandoned by her father at birth and forced to grow up in a junkyard struggling against other vermin. She grows up into a deformed scavenger who eventually makes her wa ...more
Errol
I guess if you're looking for something more emotional that scary, which I wasn't at the time. But it had a ending that could make your heart heavy or something like that. Not much of a horror as it is a drama but I still liked it. The art work is sort of meh but the story gets its point across.
Chibineko
When I purchased this manga, I didn't know what to expect. I'm a fan of Hino's other work, but I will admit that at times the sheer gruesomeness will be a bit overpowering. This manga was no exception. What I liked was that even though the average reader will find themselves repulsed by the acts of Hell Baby, you can't help but feel a bit sorry for what it's had to go through.

In this manga you have two babies born as twins, however one is beautiful & perfect... and the other is born a hideo
Abhijeet
This is the first Hideshi Hino manga I've read. Disturbing and sad. A simple story beautifully told about an unloved, alien child.
Jordan West
Early Hino, much more cartoony and simplistic in tone than his later work, enlivened by some interesting art and sudden bursts of arterial spray. The ending is almost unbearably poignant.
Faris Morgan
I'm surprised because I really liked this book...It touched me. The story is so pure and so sad. Of course, people complain about the artwork but what else do you expect from the 1980's? The storyline was important to me. I don't want to say any spoilers, but I recommend others to read this. It's such a short manga and you can finish it in maybe half an hour :)
Anña  Karenina
Well I'm not a big fan of Hideshi's art. The story was fine it was kinda cliche for me. I guess the only thing that I liked is when the hell baby died. But who the hell is the Hag is she some kind of sorcerer I mean everything was fine from the start until she came up and messed the story up. So I guess it's kinda okay.
M.
Mar 11, 2009 M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2009, comix
I have decided that three stars is my "this was fully enjoyable but did little more than entertain me" rating. This is the second (third?) Hino I've read, and while they have all been entertaining, they do little beyond that. I think I probably liked some of the art in this best.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
Very sad and movin horror manga about deformed child (girl) who is rejected by its parents and try survive by killing animals and later people. At the end, she cant to kill her healthy sister and she died (shot by police) because it. Very bitter. But amazing. ...more
Xisix
Grimey black and white drawings of a freakish monster child left to die in a garbage dump. Bleak and poignant with some over the top violence thrown in for good measure. Makes think of Suehiro Maruo and his 'Ultragash Inferno' . ...
Kevin
A discarded deformed twin lives in a junkyard and lives off of dead animals. Guided by a mysterious voice in her head, she goes to the city and wrecks bloody havoc. Over the top macabre manga action.
Justin Garver
What a depressing story! This is a very good manga about a baby who turns into a zombie and seeks her family. This is actually a very well done story, by a great mangaka.
David Balfour
Tame and predictable. Absolutely nothing of interest here.
Sandro Ricardo
Dec 03, 2012 Sandro Ricardo marked it as to-read
great book
René Jiménez Canale
René Jiménez Canale marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Josh Dormammu
Josh Dormammu marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
KatherineMayWilliams
KatherineMayWilliams marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Yung Pigdaddy
Yung Pigdaddy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2015
Chris Lawton
Chris Lawton marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Valentina
Valentina marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Ricardo Santillan
Ricardo Santillan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Cityku
Cityku marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
  • The Drifting Classroom, Vol. 2 (Drifting Classroom)
  • Ultra-gash Inferno: Erotic-grotesque Manga
  • Uzumaki, Vol. 2
  • Parasyte, Volume 2
  • Ichi the killer, vol. 1
  • Strange Embrace
  • Black and White, Vol. 1
  • Franken-Fran 1
  • MW
Hideshi Hino (日野日出志 Hino Hideshi, born April 19, 1946) is a Japanese manga artist who specializes in horror stories. His comics include Hell Baby, Hino Horrors, and Panorama of Hell. He also wrote and directed two of the Guinea Pig horror movies which were based on his manga: Flower of Flesh and Blood, which he also starred in, and Mermaid in a Manhole.
More about Hideshi Hino...
Panorama of Hell The Bug Boy The Red Snake Lullabies from Hell Black Cat (Hino Horror, Book 6) (Hino Horror)