Start by marking “Four Letter Words: Conversations on Faith's Beauty and Logic” as Want to Read:
Four Letter Words: Conversations on Faith's Beauty and Logic

Four Letter Words: Conversations on Faith's Beauty and Logic

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  58 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
The gloves are off, and Christianity is fair game. This book shows you how to defend your faith with truth and love. Perfect preparation for Home School studies and High School Students. From seasoned professor and pastor, Bill Giovannetti, Four Letter Words shines a fresh light on the Bible's most troubling topics. Whether you're a pastor, layperson, student, parent or gr ...more
Published February 7th 2012 by Endurant Press (first published November 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Four Letter Words, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Letter Words

Patricia
Oct 11, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it
I finished this book over the weekend. It was very well written. This was almost a interactive thought book. Talking points that were on page 109 really made me think about things I may not of before.

Page 109 "When your friends criticize God for allowing evil, ask the to define evil". This game me the tools to understand how to deal with this type of situation in the further, were before I would have just dropped the subject and never brought it up again.

This book was any eye opening experience
Paula  Phillips
Feb 08, 2012 Paula Phillips rated it really liked it
In life and the worldy POV when people say Four Letter Words , it doesn't mean something positive at all, however in the Christian world there are many amazing Four Letter Words like Amen , Lord , Word etc.
Four Letter Words is prepared to be a tool for Christians to get to the heart of the issues and equip us with the tools to turn our challenges, our tribulations into triumphs and our faith into opportunities to share with others his greatness.
Four Letter Words challenges us with questions lik
Linda
Feb 14, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
Four Letter Words, by Bill Giovannetti, is a spectacular book. These four letter words are vital to our spiritual life. Each chapter gives the different religious views on the specific word for that chapter. You will be challenged to consider which one stands out as truth.

The layout of the book is catchy, starting with ‘Touchy Ideas’ and Touchy Scriptures. The diagrams are helpful to understand his points. The last part of each chapter includes ‘Talking Points’ that are helpful to understand the
Feb 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it
Title: FOUR LETTER WORDS
Author: Bill Giovannetti
Publisher: Endurant Press
September 2011
ISBN: 978-0-9836812-6-7
Genre: Christian Living

When the questions are hard and the answers unpopular, will you stay devoted to Christ?
Are you ready to speak the truth even when your friends roll their eyes, take offense, or walk away?

The core beliefs of the Christian faith have become today’s four letter words. Annoyed by the Christ-follower’s “narrow-mindedness,” our politically correct culture enforces a h
Heather
Jan 01, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
When I read the description of this book, I knew I had to read it. I have long been quite distressed by the increasing hostility toward Christianity in today’s society, so this seemed like the perfect book for me. I think my instincts were right.

The Four Letter Words are terms for today’s hot-button issues:
True ~ What is truth?
Know ~ How do you know?
Pain ~ Why is there pain?
Ouch ~ Pain, part 2.
Evil ~ Is there evil?
Word ~ The Word of God.
Damn ~ Let’s talk about Hell.
Wait ~ Why sex is for marriage
Kaylea
How do you know what to say and how to say it, regarding your faith?

Dr. Bill Giovannetti hopes he's come up with the right answer, by creating "Four Letter Words: Conversations on Faith's Beauty and Logic."

The book focuses on topics surrounding these words:
- True
- Damn
- Wait
- Hope

Giovannetti said he wrote Four Letter Words for three goals:
1. Clarity: Know what you believe.
2. Confidence: Know why you believe.
3. Courage: Know what to say when you don't know what to
If you believe that Jesus was just some really nice guy, that a loving God wouldn’t send anyone to Hell or that you can get to Heaven by following Buddha or Allah then may I suggest you pick up a copy of Four Letter Words. If you do believe that Jesus is the Saviour and He did rise from the dead, that a loving God would indeed use eternal punishment for those who don’t obey Him and that the only way to Heaven is through Jesus Christ, then you’ll want to grab a copy as well.

This book, while it ca
Andrew
Feb 11, 2012 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Four Letter Words taught me the importance of exploring the truth of our Faith in God. The book starts with four words for each chapter. Some of the topics include Truth, Know, Pain, Wait, and much more. The book was written on how to response to critics of God and Faith. Bill shared a question that proved an important point. He started asking, “How do you know?” We believe that the moon is round and not flat but how do we know this. We believed in the people in authority who taught us that it i ...more
Krystal
Dec 31, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it

The author sets out to accomplish a certain goal-to alert Christians to today's touchy issues and possible answers-and succeeds in his goal. Even if one is not a Christian, this book will lead to tough questions that will require deep thought and time to interpret and decide upon. The issues are handled very well, the author writes with clarity and subtlety. Issues touched upon include sexuality-why wait?, pain and suffering in the world, is God always right, etc...

The author writes in a very pe
Faye
Feb 07, 2012 Faye rated it really liked it
Four Letter Words. That's one eye-popping title isn't it? Throughout the course of this book Dr. Giovannetti overviews, in a conversational tone, the logic in our faith's basic doctorines.

I was glad to find this book biblically sound, and enjoyed the easy to read style in which this book was written. I enjoyed how each chapter was summed up right at the beginning, with the "Touchy Ideas" & "Touchy Scriptures" which I thought, helped me to understand the main drift of each particular chapter
Christian Fiction Addiction
Mar 08, 2012 Christian Fiction Addiction rated it it was amazing
I have only 1 complaint about this book:

Why wasn't it around when I went to university? One of the times that challenged my faith the most is the time that I spent in university, having it pounded into my head that there is no such thing as absolute truth, and that "truth" is about what is right for you - and therefore is no truth at all. I would have taken great comfort in being able to turn to a book like Four Letter Words for some insight on how to engage my colleagues in a more effective man
Dana
Jan 28, 2012 Dana rated it it was ok
I got this book for free to review from Litfuse, and they say they want my honest opinion.
Oh my.
First, here is what they have to say about the book:

"Thou shalt tolerate every opinion... except the Christian's. Today's postmodern "prime directive" leaves many followers of Jesus tongue-tied. In the global village, isn't it unreasonable, and even dangerous, to suggest that the Bible has a monopoly on truth?
The church needs a new breed of Christ-follower. We need Christ-followers who are alert to to
Stefan Vucak
Apr 13, 2013 Stefan Vucak rated it really liked it
Four Letter Words takes the reader into a personal view of Christianity, its meaning, relevance in today’s sectarian world, and its promise of hope where morality is slipping. The book discusses the nature of religious truth and maintains that wherever other religions contradict biblical Christianity, they are false. There is acknowledgement that science/modernism has achieved a lot, but that modernism fails because it tries to be independent of God. It is stated that the Bible is the final word ...more
Jennifer Short
Feb 08, 2012 Jennifer Short rated it really liked it
This book was filled with four letter words about faith. I think the idea was a great one but could have been better executed. The author wanted to show how that to many outside Christianity words like "pain", "wait", "true" are offensive. As I read it, there often felt like there was a stretch to make the topics fit into a "four letter word" title.

Also, while a unique idea, I'm not sure the QR code idea was a great one. There were lots of codes you could scan on your smartphone to send you to
Terri
Apr 03, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing
Damn...that was my favorite chapter in Bill Giovannetti's "Four Letter Words". Don't get the wrong idea, that is the worst of the four letter words included in this book. Others include true, know, pain, ouch, evil, word, wait and hope. Why, then, would I choose the only word that would possibly be considered an actual 4 letter word when one mentions....four letter words? Because I finally feel like I have a good answer to "why would a loving God send anyone to Hell?" or "Why would God even make ...more
Hannah
Jan 13, 2012 Hannah rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't
Shelves: reviewing-books
I was actually really disappointed with this book. Though I had high hopes upon reading the blurb and receiving the book, I was let down upon completion. This book discusses four letter worded topics such as 'hurt' and 'love'. It had many biblical references and quotes from the Bible itself yet it came across as though Bill Giovannetti was trying to beat it against your forehead. I also did not like that he advertised his website and had 'sticks' for it any chance he got; this included the new l ...more
Moose
Feb 05, 2012 Moose rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People interested in religion
Recommended to Moose by: Goodreads Giveaway
The writing is decent and the structure of the book is well done. But I have issues with the content of the book. I was a little disturbed to see how many Wikipedia citations the author had in his bibliography. I can't take Wikipedia sources seriously. Wikipedia is great for casual research but when it comes to writing papers, articles, and books I would hope more solid and academic sources would be used.

There were some interesting ideas and concepts that Giovannetti introduced and explained, b
Kate
Feb 09, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
Pastor and author Bill Giovannetti’s latest title opens with a word from the ever-quotable Mark Twain: “When angry, count to four. When very angry, swear.” Back in Twain’s day, that meant something very different than it seems to today. The list of words your mother taught you never to say in public is no longer sufficient to keep you out of trouble. As Giovannetti points out, it’s now equally (if not more) offensive to use words like know when discussing faith or damn when talking about eternal ...more
Jered
Jul 24, 2013 Jered rated it really liked it
A fairly easy read. Lots of good reflection not only from the author's pastoral work but also noted theologians. The one thing that was a little tricky was that there were quite a few seemingly surprise transitions into "OK now this is how to talk to friends of yours who have questions or doubts about this." They were cursory references and as a result I felt like they distracted from the meatier content but also were inadequate as true apologetic resources.

That said, the book is still quality i
Trish
Feb 01, 2012 Trish rated it really liked it
In this introduction to apologetics for today’s Christian teen or young adult, Bill Giovannetti posits that the “core beliefs of the Christian faith have become today’s four letter words.”

We live in a culture where confidently stating what you believe is often labeled as narrow-minded intolerance rather than as an expression of personal faith. Giovannetti maintains that “we must respect and tolerate those with whom we disagree. But we still get to disagree and say so.”

Read the rest of my review
Susan
In three simple words, Four Letter Words: Conversations on Faith’s Beauty and Logic, is honest, timely, and necessary. I believe author Bill Giovannetti has put forth a theologically sound, informative, and well articulated apologetic work.

Apologetics? What?! I know, I know. I’d rather jab a fork in my eye than read a dry and boring defense of the Christian faith, but before you go running for the door, let me assure you Four Letter Words is...

Full Review: http://susandelano.wordpress.com/2012..
Kara
May 23, 2012 Kara rated it really liked it
Four Letter Words was a great book that I will definitely keep and recommend. The topics center around the following four letter words: true, know, pain, ouch, evil, word, damn, wait, and hope. I think this was such an interesting read. I think this would be a good resource book to refer back to on different topics. It would be good for independent study or group study because it has a discussion guide at the end. This was an excellent win from the GoodReads giveaways!
Terri Milstead
Jul 02, 2014 Terri Milstead rated it really liked it
Great book to help a believer talk to those they encounter that doubt the faith on various different intellectual levels. This book would be a good book for a pastor to have on his or her shelf to give to people with questions, too.

I have not had to engage in these sorts of tough conversations in the past, but I sure do hope I have some in the future. It means I'm doing as He commanded if I do, after all. This book will be a good resource.
Carol McClain
Jul 08, 2012 Carol McClain rated it it was amazing
Do you have questions about the difficult questions of the Christian faith? Bill Giovannetti answers them with humor and intelligence. Never does he put down those who disagree with Christianity, but with reason, with Scripture, with the dogma of other faiths he shows why Christians believe the way they do.

I loved this book.
Carrie Daws
Apr 04, 2015 Carrie Daws rated it really liked it
Wow. This is not a light-hearted read. But, it is full of great truth, lovingly and logically shared to help all of us better understand what we believe and why. Four Letter Words is an excellent choice for anyone who wants to think through their own faith or wants to defend it more succinctly.
Ubiquitous Bubba
Jan 31, 2013 Ubiquitous Bubba rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book on faith. It's written in simple, plain language that's never condescending or authoritarian in tone. Bill is an excellent author and speaker and I've thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Kim Faires
Apr 19, 2012 Kim Faires rated it it was amazing
Written by my pastor. Our small group bible study group used it this year. Found it relevant and very thorough.
Sandi Curtiss
Have not read it as of yet, but I am sure I will :). Great Author, will be a great book.
John Hinton
Apr 10, 2013 John Hinton rated it it was amazing
great book about some controversial subjects
David Bindel
David Bindel rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016