Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #11)

Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #11)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  489 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Lucy Stone is in the doghouse--with her next-door neighbor, Mrs. Prudence Pratt. It seems that Kudo, the Stones' misbehaving mutt, has developed a taste for Mrs. Pratt's blue-ribbon winning chickens, as well an escape artist's talent for sneaking out. With the Fourth of July coming up, Lucy doesn't want to set off any more fireworks with the crabby Prudence.

Another sign t...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Kensington Publishing Corporation (first published January 11th 2004)

Luffy Monkey D.
It's odd how for certain authors genius appears only in flashes. Not in any way shape or form is this book great or even good. I never liked the courtroom scenes or any sort of administrative scene. Lucy's family were rarely seen and they never made their presence count, them being together near the end notwithstanding. The Prologue was a hoot and a magnificent start to an otherwise drab book. But I wonder if there was a clue in the song titled 'She Wore and Itsy Bitsy Eenie Meenie Yellow Polka...more
CD
One more on the guilty pleasure list of entertaining books.

Amateur detective and newspaper reporter Lucy Stone is dealing with naturists, naturalists, and nincompoops who are all out to ruin the 4th of July!

Lucy's own daughter discovers the joy of sunbathing au natural until the creepy people show up at the local swimming hole. Then a rash ends that trauma for Lucy and family. There is still the problem of the criminal charges against her son for a fight, the legions of press and T.V. people s...more
Mom

Another sign that the crazy days of summer are in full swing arrives when a group of naturists--a.k.a. nudists--descends on Tinker's Cove, s...more
Melissa (Take Joy)
Animal Lovers Beware of this book.

I started these books looking for a good cozy series that had a strong female lead in a loving relationship with her husband. What I got was a weak-minded female character who is too afraid to raise her kids properly because she wants them to like her and treats her husband more like a casual acquaintance than her husband. The characters are flat and exist for one reason and one reason only- to give Lucy Stone something to complain about in her head.

I have read...more
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone, wife, mother and full time reporter of the Tinker's Cove, Maine weekly paper the Pennysaver was covering the Board Of Selectmen's meeting.

Normally the most interesting thing at the meeting was whether she would be able to stay awake during it. Tonight, however things turned out to be exciting.

Jonathan Franke, local environmentalist has discovered that the purple spotted lichen plant is growing around Tinker's Cover. And by state law, any endangered species must be protected at all...more
Amelia-Irene
I have liked this series, which I pick-up out of sequence all the time. This one seems to be more about some family relation trip problems that spill over... Things that happen when you have two college age kids still living at home, but trying to make a statement, and two kids that are still in grade school. Lucy and husband are trying to learn to cope with this learning curve as well as a neighbor of 20 years who's always been disagreeable, but more so of late. Lucy discovers the neighbor dead...more
Andrea
Things are changing in Lucy Stone's world and not all of the changes are comfortable for out amateur super-sleuth. The eleventh book in the Lucy Stone Mystery Series finds Lucy's family including one of her children under suspicion when one of their neighbors (a difficult one) up dead , a victim of a hit and run. Lucy gets hot under the collar over her children's lives as the summer temperatures rise. She is finding out how hard it is to be a parent to young adults who no longer confide in you,...more
Linda
An enjoyable mystery. I didn't like that the murder didn't occur until 100 pages in and the culprit was just stumbled upon but overall a likeable book.
Nancy Hollmaier
This is a quick summer one-day read. Enjoyed the thriller beginning and the teary ending.
Alice
interesting that cover art created salt & pepper shakers to illustrate holiday
Naomi
I decided to rate this book a bit higher than my true feelings of the book are. I had to read this cozy series out of order for a reading challenge and don't know if the book would have been better if I would have read it in order since it is very character driven. It wasn't as sticky sweet as most cozy series, but I did find it "typical" of most of the cozies out there. It wasn't so terrible though that I wouldn't look at others in the series to meet challenge needs. I would just strive to do i...more
Jennifer Patrick
I chose this book because the cover art reminded me of Mad magazine. It was pretty good for what would be considered a "cozy" mystery. The main character, Lucy Stone was interesting & beleivable. The plot had among other things, a murdered chicken raising zealot, endagered moss, an enviromental protection group, nudists and lobster fishing was just wacky enough without being ridiculous. A fun quick read.
Kj
This book was not as offensive to women as some of the others but Lucy still complains ALOT!!! She never really does any investigating & the killer always confesses or she falls into solvong the crime. I am glad they are short & not expensive because I would be mad if I had paid good money for this. I gave it a three star only because out of the others this is good.
Lindsay
So this one wasn't as good as the Christmas one, but it had enough action going on to keep my attention. It was one of those mysteries where there were so many suspects that I had no idea who the killer was. It will kind of surprise you. The ending was kinda lame, but the book made me laugh at parts. Makes me kind of excited for the Fourth of July.
Carol
Another story from the Lucy Stone series. I enjoy Lucy and her family and all the trouble they get into. Their neighbor is murdered and Lucy and her son are considered suspects because of run ins they have had with the family. But they know they aren't guilty so to get the media off their case Lucy has to find out who the real murdered is.
Julie
Not as enjoyable as Father's Day Murder. There were too many instances the author used controversial issues to plug her preferences. I especially didn't like the several times Meier chose to criticize or make fun of religious groups and their beliefs. I will try another book to determine if this is a pattern and hope there isn't.
Kel
This books had some good things going for it, but I like the ones set in Tinker's Grove better than in other locations. The ending was a surprise, which is always nice. Not a re-read, but enjoyable.
La Toya
I read it so long ago...I'm certain I liked it...I've been searching for this author since I put it down all those years ago. I'm glad that I found her and that I can now start to read the entire series! W00t!
Jim Sampson
Another fine boook by this author. The series continues to be very enjoyable. Easy to read and enjoyable story line.
Mary Newcomb
The Fourth of July without a parade and fireworks? Hmmm—must be the fault of those naturists (or is it?).

Anna
I think this book is a really book but then again i would recommend up to 13 years older. still a really amazing book.
Mary
Lucy and her family are viewed as being Hatfields and Mccoys with their neighbors who aren't very nice people.
Nancy Anderson
Set in Maine. Nice family...slow start but it came together nicely to the finish. Loved her friend, Sue.
Lisa
Great light murder mystery... she is a great writer and I enjoy her story lines and characters!
Reva Nowell
It was ok; I doubt that I will read another of her books. Perhaps a might too tame for my liking.
Karla
This is a quick, non-challenging, summer read for anyone who is a fan of this author's series.
Mollie
Feb 27, 2009 Mollie marked it as wishlist  ·  review of another edition
Star Spangled Murder (Lucy Stone Mysteries, No. 11) by Leslie Meier (2005)
Jay Walsh
Easy read. Interesting and well written but not exactly a riveting mystery.
Eunys
Light reading with weak resolution to the murder investigation.
  • The PMS Murder (A Jaine Austen Mystery #5)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #20)
  • A Catered Halloween (A Mystery with Recipes, #5)
  • No Use Dying Over Spilled Milk (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #3)
  • Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...
Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #1) Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13) Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3) Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #2) Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)