Start by marking “Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #11)” as Want to Read:
Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery #11)

Star Spangled Murder (Lucy Stone #11)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  643 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Lucy Stone is in the doghouse--with her next-door neighbor, Mrs. Prudence Pratt. It seems that Kudo, the Stones' misbehaving mutt, has developed a taste for Mrs. Pratt's blue-ribbon winning chickens, as well an escape artist's talent for sneaking out. With the Fourth of July coming up, Lucy doesn't want to set off any more fireworks with the crabby Prudence.

Another sign t
Published June 1st 2009 by Kensington (first published January 11th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Star Spangled Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Spangled Murder

Catherine
I really liked this book. Lucy Stone is in the doghouse with her neighbor Prudence Pratt. It seems that Kudo, the Stone's misbehaving mutt, has developed a taste for Mrs. Pratt's blue ribbon chickens as well as a escape artists talent for sneaking out. With the 4th of Judy coming she doesn't want to set off any fireworks with Prudence. When a group of naturists a.k.a. nudists descends on Tinker's Cove a skinny dipping at the pond that borders Mrs. Pratt's property, giving her something to compla ...more
Luffy Monkey D.
It's odd how for certain authors genius appears only in flashes. Not in any way shape or form is this book great or even good. I never liked the courtroom scenes or any sort of administrative scene. Lucy's family were rarely seen and they never made their presence count, them being together near the end notwithstanding. The Prologue was a hoot and a magnificent start to an otherwise drab book. But I wonder if there was a clue in the song titled 'She Wore and Itsy Bitsy Eenie Meenie Yellow Polka ...more
CD
One more on the guilty pleasure list of entertaining books.

Amateur detective and newspaper reporter Lucy Stone is dealing with naturists, naturalists, and nincompoops who are all out to ruin the 4th of July!

Lucy's own daughter discovers the joy of sunbathing au natural until the creepy people show up at the local swimming hole. Then a rash ends that trauma for Lucy and family. There is still the problem of the criminal charges against her son for a fight, the legions of press and T.V. people s
Melissa (Take Joy)
Animal Lovers Beware of this book.

I started these books looking for a good cozy series that had a strong female lead in a loving relationship with her husband. What I got was a weak-minded female character who is too afraid to raise her kids properly because she wants them to like her and treats her husband more like a casual acquaintance than her husband. The characters are flat and exist for one reason and one reason only- to give Lucy Stone something to complain about in her head.

I have read
Tabby Kat
Lucy Stone, wife, mother and full time reporter of the Tinker's Cove, Maine weekly paper the Pennysaver was covering the Board Of Selectmen's meeting.

Normally the most interesting thing at the meeting was whether she would be able to stay awake during it. Tonight, however things turned out to be exciting.

Jonathan Franke, local environmentalist has discovered that the purple spotted lichen plant is growing around Tinker's Cover. And by state law, any endangered species must be protected at all
Sheila Cronin
I recommend this mystery writer for her attention to family dynamics. One thing Leslie Meier does very successfully is keep her protagonist, Lucy Stone, busy with marriage, family, community, newspaper job, and in this book, the family pet, as well as with the mystery that develops. Fresh, entertaining and credible. I feel I know Lucy Stone.

Sheila M. Cronin
Author, The Gift Counselor
Valerie
Not a bad cozy, but the electronic version had several spelling and grammar errors. In addition, there were parts of the story that did not flow very well, and the conclusion seemed forced and not very conclusive. I have not read any others by this author, but I am not sure I would pursue any due to the above problems.
Mary Schildman
Number 10 is good

Been a fan of "Lucy" for years. Missed a few books but catching up. Enjoyed this easy and fast moving story. Nice little twist at the end. Looking forward to reading more about "Lucy" and Tinkers Cove.
Amelia-Irene
I have liked this series, which I pick-up out of sequence all the time. This one seems to be more about some family relation trip problems that spill over... Things that happen when you have two college age kids still living at home, but trying to make a statement, and two kids that are still in grade school. Lucy and husband are trying to learn to cope with this learning curve as well as a neighbor of 20 years who's always been disagreeable, but more so of late. Lucy discovers the neighbor dead ...more
Pat
Lucy Stone. Good, her dog gets out and kills a chicken. Next door neighbor is weird. Nudists stop by the town.
Are lobsters being poached?
Will there be fireworks?
Good.
Andrea
Things are changing in Lucy Stone's world and not all of the changes are comfortable for out amateur super-sleuth. The eleventh book in the Lucy Stone Mystery Series finds Lucy's family including one of her children under suspicion when one of their neighbors (a difficult one) up dead , a victim of a hit and run. Lucy gets hot under the collar over her children's lives as the summer temperatures rise. She is finding out how hard it is to be a parent to young adults who no longer confide in you, ...more
Linda
An enjoyable mystery. I didn't like that the murder didn't occur until 100 pages in and the culprit was just stumbled upon but overall a likeable book.
Linda
A neighbour is murdered; this time Lucy and family are suspects. The actual killer is a bit of a surprise. This is a long series, but it's holding up pretty well.
Best book so far! I especially loved that the opening and closing chapters were cutely different than usual! I didn't think I could fall in love with the Stone clan anymore and I do with every book!
Nancy Hollmaier
This is a quick summer one-day read. Enjoyed the thriller beginning and the teary ending.
Alice
interesting that cover art created salt & pepper shakers to illustrate holiday
Naomi
I decided to rate this book a bit higher than my true feelings of the book are. I had to read this cozy series out of order for a reading challenge and don't know if the book would have been better if I would have read it in order since it is very character driven. It wasn't as sticky sweet as most cozy series, but I did find it "typical" of most of the cozies out there. It wasn't so terrible though that I wouldn't look at others in the series to meet challenge needs. I would just strive to do i ...more
Jennifer Daniel
I chose this book because the cover art reminded me of Mad magazine. It was pretty good for what would be considered a "cozy" mystery. The main character, Lucy Stone was interesting & beleivable. The plot had among other things, a murdered chicken raising zealot, endagered moss, an enviromental protection group, nudists and lobster fishing was just wacky enough without being ridiculous. A fun quick read.
Kim j
This book was not as offensive to women as some of the others but Lucy still complains ALOT!!! She never really does any investigating & the killer always confesses or she falls into solvong the crime. I am glad they are short & not expensive because I would be mad if I had paid good money for this. I gave it a three star only because out of the others this is good.
Lindsay
So this one wasn't as good as the Christmas one, but it had enough action going on to keep my attention. It was one of those mysteries where there were so many suspects that I had no idea who the killer was. It will kind of surprise you. The ending was kinda lame, but the book made me laugh at parts. Makes me kind of excited for the Fourth of July.
Carol
Another story from the Lucy Stone series. I enjoy Lucy and her family and all the trouble they get into. Their neighbor is murdered and Lucy and her son are considered suspects because of run ins they have had with the family. But they know they aren't guilty so to get the media off their case Lucy has to find out who the real murdered is.
Julie
Not as enjoyable as Father's Day Murder. There were too many instances the author used controversial issues to plug her preferences. I especially didn't like the several times Meier chose to criticize or make fun of religious groups and their beliefs. I will try another book to determine if this is a pattern and hope there isn't.
Kristin
I'll be honest, the Lucy Stone books aren't that great. I started reading Lucy Stone because of the Joann Fluke books featuring stories about Jaine Austin And Lucy Stone. I found the Lucy stories the weakest. However, some of the books are pretty good, but this one bored me.
Kel
This books had some good things going for it, but I like the ones set in Tinker's Grove better than in other locations. The ending was a surprise, which is always nice. Not a re-read, but enjoyable.
La Toya
I read it so long ago...I'm certain I liked it...I've been searching for this author since I put it down all those years ago. I'm glad that I found her and that I can now start to read the entire series! W00t!
Jim Sampson
Another fine boook by this author. The series continues to be very enjoyable. Easy to read and enjoyable story line.
Mary Newcomb
The Fourth of July without a parade and fireworks? Hmmmâ”must be the fault of those naturists (or is it?).

Anna
I think this book is a really book but then again i would recommend up to 13 years older. still a really amazing book.
Mary
Lucy and her family are viewed as being Hatfields and Mccoys with their neighbors who aren't very nice people.
Nancy Anderson
Set in Maine. Nice family...slow start but it came together nicely to the finish. Loved her friend, Sue.
  • A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Clam Wake (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #29)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
  • Going, Going, Ganache (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #5)
  • Killer Cruise (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #8)
  • Gingerbread Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13.5)
  • Sinister Sprinkles (Donut Shop Mystery, #3)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier...

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1) Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6) Bake Sale Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #13) Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3) Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)