Start by marking “Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)

Vengeance Born (The Light Blade #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  1,326 ratings  ·  200 reviews
Her lineage is both a blessing and a curse...

There is no mercy in the demon realm. No escape. In this place of desperation and conflict, anyone who is not pure bred is virtually powerless. Until an unlikely champion is born...

Annika, half-blood daughter of the Na'Reish king, longs for more than a tormented life among her father's people. Conceived in hatred and bred as a
Published February 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance Born

Annika is Na'Chi a half-blood, part human, part demon. She is the unwanted daughter of Savyr, the leader of the Na'Reish (the demons). Annika, born of a human mother, has been beaten, humiliated and despised all her life by her father and the full-blood demons. She dreams of escape to her mother's land and people.

Kalan Tayn is human, a Light Blade and enemy of the demons. Captured by demon scouts during a slave raid in the Outer Provinces he's been locked away and tortured for weeks. If Annika c
~E~ Riverina Romantics
I don’t know how many Cover God’s Kylie Griffin went down on but she must have done a damn fine job because this is one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen.

Not only was I drawn to this book on first glance but it is one of the most ‘true to story’ covers I have seen in a damn long time. After reading Vengeance Born I took another good look at the cover and loved how so much effort was put into the tiny little details.

Okay, onto the book. Vengeance Born is the debut novel from Austral

This was a solid first book for a fantasy romance series. In fantasy, one of the greater challenges is world building IMO - the author has to create a completely new world filled with the unexpected but yet it still has to all make sense - and Kylie Griffin has done a truly amazing job at that.

In 'Vengeance Born' we're introduced to a grim world where two different races are at odds with each other. There is the cruel and savage blood-drinking demons, the Na'Reish, and the weaker, deity
I can't say that I read much Fantasy romance, but I was intrigued when I read the description of this book. It made it seem like the book would be full of uncertain politics and tense relations between two factions. The politics and twists and turns were one of the things I loved about the Tairen Soul series, another Fantasy Romance series I've read, so I was hoping for the same thing here.

Although I found the world idea interesting, it wasn't developed as well as I'd hoped. In the beginning we'
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the story in this, despite the fact that I was only reading for the romance. At first I was a bit bothered by the stiff dialogue. It sounded too formal to be natural. But it is a fantasy world and perhaps they simply speak like that there. But despite stiff dialogue, that story was captivating. It was first and foremost a romance, but it still had a large story full of larger-than-life characters, dark evils, and world shifting threats, as well as an interestin ...more
4.5 stars actually
Na'Chi (half-demon) princess Annika is reviled by her cruel father's people, the Na'Reish (full demon) but that doesn't stop her from dreaming of escape to her dead mother's people (the Light-Blade gifted humans). Annika's dream isn't much more than to live among the Light-Blades, use her healing gift and learn to live without fear in a peaceful society. After hearing that captured Light-Bearer Kalan Taryn requires her services to heal, Annika strikes a bargain with Kalen. In e
Book Chatter-Cath
I was immediately drawn to this book because of the absolutely gorgeous cover art *takes a moment to admire*
As I have stated in the past, I am a total cover whore and will buy books based on the covers alone! Shallow perhaps but I am who I am!

However, after following the authors blog and getting caught up in all the snippets and insights into this story, I was gagging to get my hands on it. (made worst by the fact that delivery from TBD was excruciatingly slow!)

Once it finally arrived I went int
Check out review at Shaytasticbooks

Interesting Note: My boyfriend picked out this book after I found both my Kobo and Nexus dead, and so we went to the book store even though I just finished a shift working.

I dont know about you but I love the cover of this book. When my boyfriend first handed it to me I was like "ohhhh thats a kick ass cover". I don't know what it is but I love it when books show strong female characters on the front. Ya she may look like a little pin up but damn I
Lily Malone
Parts of this were really, really good, particularly the start with Annika's rescue of Kalan and their flight from the Na'Reish to the human lands. For me, once the pair made it to the human city, the book stalled a bit and I'm not sure if it was because I felt too much of a sense of being set up for the next book in the series?
But the concept and the action in the first 2/3rds of the book more than made up for this.
Bec McMaster
Wow, was waiting for this for a long time and man, did it live up to expectations! What a fascinating world, full of politics, fascinating cultures, demons, Light-blade warriors and a brewing war that makes me itch to see what's happening next! I loved Annika and will admit to a few teary moments. She had to overcome so much and I liked watching her re-learn how to trust and keep reaching for her 'dream'. Kalan was a strong hero and a true leader. He didn't react in a predictable way. He acknowl ...more
Jun 16, 2012 Ronda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys paranormal and romance
Shelves: 2012-favourites
What a fantastic story!!!

I haven't heard of Kylie Griffin before, this author has eluded me - but no more!!! What a wonderful story that highlights our own deficiencies as a human society, our prejudices and fears...

Annika is a halfbreed, half human and half Na'Reish, she is Na'Chi... Kalan is a Lighblade Warrior and the two meet...

Together, Annika and Kalan build this powerful story of strength, love and overcoming the prejudices of each others race...

I loved this book, it was simply breath-tak
Rating: 2 out of 5.

I liked the whole idea behind the novel. But I didn't like the characters much. I thought Kanal was hypocritical. His excuses for his deception did not make sense. He says he didn't want to reveal who he was in case the demons killed him for it, but he had a lot of time between running from the demons to reaching his home to tell the heroine his secret, especially when he made her feel like shit for hiding her secret from him.

What made it worse was that the heroine wasn't even
I won this book with a give-a-way and I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading, but this is a really good story. The story really pulled me in and though it started a little slow at first it got better the further I got.
I really like Annika's character, she is a strong young woman and at the same time very vulnerable because of her past, but she gets stronger and learns to overcome her fears and I really like that about her.
Kalan is kinda sweet, I thought. At first, he doesn'
Paranormal Haven
2.5 Stars

Annika is Na’chi, a half human, half Na’Reish(demons). The Na’Reish and humans don’t get along, but the Na’Reish need blood slaves to live. They are like vampires with all pointed teeth, purple eyes and odd markings on their skin. Because Annika is half-blood, and the Na’Reish like pure bloods she is treated unfairly, and has to deal with abuse from nearly everyone. All but a human slave named Hesia. Hesia shows her the ways of a healer. When the Na’Reish captures a Light Blade warrior,
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Vengeance Born is a moving tale about trust, overcoming prejudices and how the actions of a single person can change the world. Annika’s story made me teary eyed on more than one occasion. Her strength knows no limits and will leave you in awe but she’s also incredibly vulnerable because of her upbringing. The sharp contrasts between these two aspects of her personality made this half-blood out to be a remarkably complex character that I immensely enjoyed getting to know.
5 stars!!!

Ah ha... finally got my hands on a great book that my friends haven't read. Friends, a must read if you enjoy Tairen Soul series. This doesn't have the inticate mix of the different races, conflicts and magic but I thought the theme of overcoming life's challenges, prejudices by putting faith, love, trust forefront were similar.

Warning: potential spoiler...depending how you see it:
As half-blood btwn human and demon, a Na'Chi', Annika was condemned, tortured and rediculed by her demon
This is not a bad book.
It has action and romance -what more could you ask for right?
But i just did not enjoy it. 2 stars" "it was okay"

The characters' actions felt forced to me.
The protagonist Annika is compassionate with a deep determination to move forward, though she's dealt with some nasty abuse in her past ...BUT her character was so...dimished by her heritage. its very hard to break down the wall of her history because whenever she speaks she's referencing the pain of her past. She is co
Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥

i love it, the best cover i have seen... i realllyy hope this won't be disappointing..

*Update After Reading* WARNING ADULT SCENES..

my heart.... must breath,,,,,,

i swooned sooooooooooo hard.... i haven't swooned like this for sooo long!!!!! <3 <3 <3
other than the s** chapters scenes .. the sweet gestures can k
I won Vengeance Born through Goodreads' First Reads giveaway system and it was one spankin' package! It came within a week (REALLY unusual) and it was signed personally (thanks Kylie!) and came with 3 postcard - so yippee! Congrats Kylie on giving me the best giveaway I've ever won on goodreads!

That aside, I really enjoyed this book. It had me gripped from page one, and the way that it's written in third person meant I could see the POV of all the characters without it taking away form my connec
Kim Hepburn
WOW WOW WOW!!! This book was amazing!! It was the type of book you only put down because you need sleep and then it's hard to get to sleep because you are wondering what will happen next! If I didn't need sleep I would have read it in one sitting. I loved the world and the strong female and male lead. I honestly didn't want the book to end!! I'm so excited to see what happens next!!! Kylie has done an AMAZING job with this book, I haven't been this excited by a book in a little while so its a re ...more
This is, primarily, a fantasy romance story. However, it also had enough world-building and plot attached to keep me from being bored. In fact despite the "flavour" of the writing there was surprisingly little overt romance or sex in the book.

I wouldn't say it was quite on par with a Grace Draven novel for me (there are very few who are), but it had the same sort of emphasis on the characters and their situations that I enjoy. There was very little, if any, TSTL decisions or overly "wangsty" mom
Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms)
This was probably a 3.5 for me but I rounded it up because it definitely held my interest which made me read it in two days. It's a fantasy world where demons and humans have been at war for centuries. The demons are obsessed with purity of their race and although they mate with humans, the offspring are killed. Or they believe so, but one human slave woman has been spiriting those babies away for over twenty years and they have been living in secret. One such girl was allowed to live because sh ...more

I will write a proper review when I have a bit more time, but overall Vengeance Born was a decent start to a series that included a number of elements that kept me interested - the world, the powers, the politics etc.

What let this down a bit for me was the insta-lust and insta-love. I would have really loved this book if it had taken place over a longer period of time, but as it was, the main characters' love for each other just didn't seem believable to me in the short time they've kno

Edited to add: Holy shit, this is listed as YA? There's some pretty intense sexual activity for Young Adult, folks. New Adult, maaaybe. I'd call this Adult.
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
Going into this book, I was expecting a classic-style fantasy story with maybe a YA tilt. I was very wrong. This is paranormal romance, with a heavy emphasis on the romance. If I had peeked at the other covers in the series, I probably would have had a better sense of what to expect. As it was, I was caught fairly offguard.

The fantasy parts of the story were well developed. There is a sense that everything has been well planned, and a lot of the world building is portrayed without info dumping.
This book is totally ridiculous.

1. Annika is supposed to be a half-demon. Instead she acts like a saint.
2. While on the run, I lost count of how many times Annika and Kalan are sexually attracted to each other.
3. I expect more tension since the book focuses mainly on the process when they are running away. And I got this:
The sight of Kalan striding up the slope to join her filled her with relief. Her breath caught in the back of her throat at his striking appearance. River-trader clothes looked
I never ever liked fantasy romance. But Vengeance Born is the first to actually get me engaged to read without ever rolling my eyes or be revolted by the lovey-dovey parts. It’s a balance of action, adventure, fantasy and romance. I was glad there were no confusing world building of any sort, no information overload of fantasy creatures that I hated to imagine and best of all, it was an easy read and everything fitted perfectly. This is 2 thumbs up read for me.

“I want to slide my tongue across y
Dahlia (yadkny)
Jan 16, 2012 Dahlia (yadkny) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Romance Lovers
Shelves: favorites
A journey awaits them unlike any other, but only if they choose to accept it and learn to trust one another.

Leading a life as a Na’Chi is impossibly frustrating and extremely dangerous. Even worse is being the half-blood daughter of the Na’Reish demon king. In a race where blood purity means everything, your lineage defines you and could mean death. Annika straddles the enemy lines of the demon and human worlds. Her lineage offers nothing but punishment for not being of pure demon blood as well
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 2 Apr 03, 2015 04:20PM
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1)
  • Siren Song
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • Celtic Moon (Celtic Wolves, #1)
  • Where Demons Fear to Tread (The Company of Angels, #1)
  • The Mark of the Tala (Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • Pure Healing (Pure Ones, #1)
  • Archangel of Mercy
  • Moonglow (Darkest London, #2)
  • Blood Before Sunrise (Shaede Assassin, #2)
  • Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • Caged Warrior (Dragon Kings, #1)
  • Altered Destiny
  • Entreat Me
  • Bound By Moonlight (Moonlight, #4)
  • Geared for Pleasure (Elemental Steam #1)
Kylie Griffin’s addiction to all things paranormal started at an early age when she imagined the jacaranda tree in her front yard was a spaceship or castle tower used to defend the world from hordes of invading enemies. Writing stories seemed like a natural extension.

By day she’s a primary school teacher but at night she writes paranormal romances for the Berkley Sensation line. She credits two wo
More about Kylie Griffin...

The Light Blade (3 books)
  • Alliance Forged (The Light Blade, #2)
  • Allegiance Sworn (The Light Blade, #3)
Allegiance Sworn (The Light Blade, #3) Alliance Forged (The Light Blade, #2)

“As much as I like you in my shirt, I'd rather see it on the floor.” 15 likes
“Say it again, Na’Chi.”
“I love you, Light Blade,”