Start by marking “Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)” as Want to Read:
Vengeance Born (The Light Blade, #1)

Vengeance Born (The Light Blade #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,582 Ratings  ·  217 Reviews
Her lineage is both a blessing and a curse...

There is no mercy in the demon realm. No escape. In this place of desperation and conflict, anyone who is not pure bred is virtually powerless. Until an unlikely champion is born...

Annika, half-blood daughter of the Na'Reish king, longs for more than a tormented life among her father's people. Conceived in hatred and bred as a
Published February 1st 2012 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about Vengeance Born, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vengeance Born

Annika is Na'Chi a half-blood, part human, part demon. She is the unwanted daughter of Savyr, the leader of the Na'Reish (the demons). Annika, born of a human mother, has been beaten, humiliated and despised all her life by her father and the full-blood demons. She dreams of escape to her mother's land and people.

Kalan Tayn is human, a Light Blade and enemy of the demons. Captured by demon scouts during a slave raid in the Outer Provinces he's been locked away and tortured for weeks. If Annika c
Lala_Loopsie [fire breathing B!tch Queen]
-I think the book was good...-She said timidly.
-Well, you don't own a brain then-Yelled the other woman, pulled out a gun, and pulled the trigger.-Obviously it was great.

So, did i like the book? I guess you could say that. Please know that i don't usually read demon books, they're too bad for my "little miss goody-shoes" image. I takes away the credibility, and i always have the power. Always.

But moving on, i did like it. The book was good, as a book. The Light Blade was well worked on, i liked
I can't say that I read much Fantasy romance, but I was intrigued when I read the description of this book. It made it seem like the book would be full of uncertain politics and tense relations between two factions. The politics and twists and turns were one of the things I loved about the Tairen Soul series, another Fantasy Romance series I've read, so I was hoping for the same thing here.

Although I found the world idea interesting, it wasn't developed as well as I'd hoped. In the beginning we'

This was a solid first book for a fantasy romance series. In fantasy, one of the greater challenges is world building IMO - the author has to create a completely new world filled with the unexpected but yet it still has to all make sense - and Kylie Griffin has done a truly amazing job at that.

In 'Vengeance Born' we're introduced to a grim world where two different races are at odds with each other. There is the cruel and savage blood-drinking demons, the Na'Reish, and the weaker, deity
~E~ Riverina Romantics
I don’t know how many Cover God’s Kylie Griffin went down on but she must have done a damn fine job because this is one of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen.

Not only was I drawn to this book on first glance but it is one of the most ‘true to story’ covers I have seen in a damn long time. After reading Vengeance Born I took another good look at the cover and loved how so much effort was put into the tiny little details.

Okay, onto the book. Vengeance Born is the debut novel from Austral
Feb 15, 2014 Feminista rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Rating: 2 out of 5.

I liked the whole idea behind the novel. But I didn't like the characters much. I thought Kanal was hypocritical. His excuses for his deception did not make sense. He says he didn't want to reveal who he was in case the demons killed him for it, but he had a lot of time between running from the demons to reaching his home to tell the heroine his secret, especially when he made her feel like shit for hiding her secret from him.

What made it worse was that the heroine wasn't even
Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
It was boring, but at the same time adorable :)!
Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥
Apr 21, 2014 Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Magnus ♥ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy romance
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the story in this, despite the fact that I was only reading for the romance. At first I was a bit bothered by the stiff dialogue. It sounded too formal to be natural. But it is a fantasy world and perhaps they simply speak like that there. But despite stiff dialogue, that story was captivating. It was first and foremost a romance, but it still had a large story full of larger-than-life characters, dark evils, and world shifting threats, as well as an interestin ...more
Alexa (eyesonthepages)
So that took me forever to read.

I just want to clarify something before I go into my brief review of this book. I definitely did not like this book, it lacked character depth and tangibility for me. However, I think this was a case of "it's not you, it's me." I don't really like to read romances, and I didn't realize until I started reading this book that it's a romantic fantasy.

Okay, now with that out of the way...

All of these characters felt like cardboard cutouts/stereotypical characters. Kal
Summer Ann
The blurb for this caught my eye as Fantasy + Romance = my catnip. However the romance came way too easily and didn't feel believable. The world was also really underdeveloped. I prefer it when the romance is part of the story but equally balanced with an interesting plot. In Vengeance Born while there is some other things going on it's primarily a romance story. It wasn't terrible but definitely underwhelming.
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Vengeance Born is a moving tale about trust, overcoming prejudices and how the actions of a single person can change the world. Annika’s story made me teary eyed on more than one occasion. Her strength knows no limits and will leave you in awe but she’s also incredibly vulnerable because of her upbringing. The sharp contrasts between these two aspects of her personality made this half-blood out to be a remarkably complex character that I immensely enjoyed getting to know.
Apr 14, 2013 Shay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Check out review at Shaytasticbooks

Interesting Note: My boyfriend picked out this book after I found both my Kobo and Nexus dead, and so we went to the book store even though I just finished a shift working.

I dont know about you but I love the cover of this book. When my boyfriend first handed it to me I was like "ohhhh thats a kick ass cover". I don't know what it is but I love it when books show strong female characters on the front. Ya she may look like a little pin up but damn I
4.5 stars actually
Na'Chi (half-demon) princess Annika is reviled by her cruel father's people, the Na'Reish (full demon) but that doesn't stop her from dreaming of escape to her dead mother's people (the Light-Blade gifted humans). Annika's dream isn't much more than to live among the Light-Blades, use her healing gift and learn to live without fear in a peaceful society. After hearing that captured Light-Bearer Kalan Taryn requires her services to heal, Annika strikes a bargain with Kalen. In e
This is not a bad book.
It has action and romance -what more could you ask for right?
But i just did not enjoy it. 2 stars" "it was okay"

The characters' actions felt forced to me.
The protagonist Annika is compassionate with a deep determination to move forward, though she's dealt with some nasty abuse in her past ...BUT her character was so...dimished by her heritage. its very hard to break down the wall of her history because whenever she speaks she's referencing the pain of her past. She is co
Fafiliebe ♥ Prince Maxon ♥ Raffe ♥

i love it, the best cover i have seen... i realllyy hope this won't be disappointing..

*Update After Reading* WARNING ADULT SCENES..

my heart.... must breath,,,,,,

i swooned sooooooooooo hard.... i haven't swooned like this for sooo long!!!!! <3 <3 <3
other than the s** chapters scenes .. the sweet gestures can k
Book Chatter-Cath
I was immediately drawn to this book because of the absolutely gorgeous cover art *takes a moment to admire*
As I have stated in the past, I am a total cover whore and will buy books based on the covers alone! Shallow perhaps but I am who I am!

However, after following the authors blog and getting caught up in all the snippets and insights into this story, I was gagging to get my hands on it. (made worst by the fact that delivery from TBD was excruciatingly slow!)

Once it finally arrived I went int
Bec McMaster
Jan 18, 2013 Bec McMaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, was waiting for this for a long time and man, did it live up to expectations! What a fascinating world, full of politics, fascinating cultures, demons, Light-blade warriors and a brewing war that makes me itch to see what's happening next! I loved Annika and will admit to a few teary moments. She had to overcome so much and I liked watching her re-learn how to trust and keep reaching for her 'dream'. Kalan was a strong hero and a true leader. He didn't react in a predictable way. He acknowl ...more
Jun 16, 2012 Ronda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys paranormal and romance
Shelves: 2012-favourites
What a fantastic story!!!

I haven't heard of Kylie Griffin before, this author has eluded me - but no more!!! What a wonderful story that highlights our own deficiencies as a human society, our prejudices and fears...

Annika is a halfbreed, half human and half Na'Reish, she is Na'Chi... Kalan is a Lighblade Warrior and the two meet...

Together, Annika and Kalan build this powerful story of strength, love and overcoming the prejudices of each others race...

I loved this book, it was simply breath-tak
Lily Malone
Oct 04, 2015 Lily Malone rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parts of this were really, really good, particularly the start with Annika's rescue of Kalan and their flight from the Na'Reish to the human lands. For me, once the pair made it to the human city, the book stalled a bit and I'm not sure if it was because I felt too much of a sense of being set up for the next book in the series?
But the concept and the action in the first 2/3rds of the book more than made up for this.
Stephanie  G
2.5 Stars

Annika is Na’chi, a half human, half Na’Reish(demons). The Na’Reish and humans don’t get along, but the Na’Reish need blood slaves to live. They are like vampires with all pointed teeth, purple eyes and odd markings on their skin. Because Annika is half-blood, and the Na’Reish like pure bloods she is treated unfairly, and has to deal with abuse from nearly everyone. All but a human slave named Hesia. Hesia shows her the ways of a healer. When the Na’Reish captures a Light Blade warrior,
I won Vengeance Born through Goodreads' First Reads giveaway system and it was one spankin' package! It came within a week (REALLY unusual) and it was signed personally (thanks Kylie!) and came with 3 postcard - so yippee! Congrats Kylie on giving me the best giveaway I've ever won on goodreads!

That aside, I really enjoyed this book. It had me gripped from page one, and the way that it's written in third person meant I could see the POV of all the characters without it taking away form my connec
Aug 08, 2012 Crazy4more rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!!!

Ah ha... finally got my hands on a great book that my friends haven't read. Friends, a must read if you enjoy Tairen Soul series. This doesn't have the inticate mix of the different races, conflicts and magic but I thought the theme of overcoming life's challenges, prejudices by putting faith, love, trust forefront were similar.

Warning: potential spoiler...depending how you see it:
As half-blood btwn human and demon, a Na'Chi', Annika was condemned, tortured and rediculed by her demon
I won this book with a give-a-way and I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading, but this is a really good story. The story really pulled me in and though it started a little slow at first it got better the further I got.
I really like Annika's character, she is a strong young woman and at the same time very vulnerable because of her past, but she gets stronger and learns to overcome her fears and I really like that about her.
Kalan is kinda sweet, I thought. At first, he doesn'
Kim Hepburn
Jun 20, 2012 Kim Hepburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW WOW WOW!!! This book was amazing!! It was the type of book you only put down because you need sleep and then it's hard to get to sleep because you are wondering what will happen next! If I didn't need sleep I would have read it in one sitting. I loved the world and the strong female and male lead. I honestly didn't want the book to end!! I'm so excited to see what happens next!!! Kylie has done an AMAZING job with this book, I haven't been this excited by a book in a little while so its a re ...more
May 03, 2015 Lyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites

Edited to add: Holy shit, this is listed as YA? There's some pretty intense sexual activity for Young Adult, folks. New Adult, maaaybe. I'd call this Adult.
Dec 21, 2015 Leila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very entertaining story! A pageturner filled with sensuality, love and a lot of suspense!
Dahlia (yadkny)
Jan 16, 2012 Dahlia (yadkny) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Romance Lovers
Shelves: favorites
A journey awaits them unlike any other, but only if they choose to accept it and learn to trust one another.

Leading a life as a Na’Chi is impossibly frustrating and extremely dangerous. Even worse is being the half-blood daughter of the Na’Reish demon king. In a race where blood purity means everything, your lineage defines you and could mean death. Annika straddles the enemy lines of the demon and human worlds. Her lineage offers nothing but punishment for not being of pure demon blood as well
Edan Marie Esquibel
A 5 fantastic stars to this book!!

Ohhkhayyy, a little background.
I won this book through goodreads giveaway (thanks so much! Kylie Griffin and I'm very grateful that I won the first book.

I'm more of a historical-contemporary-romance reader and paranormal romance was something I'm neutral with. (I was fond of it until a certain book and a movie. As to what the title is, I'll leave that to your imagination..)

After some time sitting in my shelf, the book called to me and I was like: "Hmm, let's
I never ever liked fantasy romance. But Vengeance Born is the first to actually get me engaged to read without ever rolling my eyes or be revolted by the lovey-dovey parts. It’s a balance of action, adventure, fantasy and romance. I was glad there were no confusing world building of any sort, no information overload of fantasy creatures that I hated to imagine and best of all, it was an easy read and everything fitted perfectly. This is 2 thumbs up read for me.

“I want to slide my tongue across y
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 2 3 Apr 03, 2015 04:20PM
  • My Lady Mage (Warriors of the Mist, #1)
  • Assassin's Gambit (Hearts and Thrones, #1)
  • Celtic Moon (Celtic Wolves, #1)
  • Crown of Crystal Flame (Tairen Soul, #5)
  • Where Demons Fear to Tread (The Company of Angels, #1)
  • Siren Song
  • The Covert Wolf (Phoenix Force, #1)
  • The Lone Warrior (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #3)
  • Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • Opera Macabre
  • Altered Destiny
  • Pure Healing (Pure Ones, #1)
  • Lust (The Sins and The Virtues, #1)
  • Bound By Moonlight (Moonlight, #4)
  • Alpha Instinct (Moon Shifter, #1)
  • Deliver Me from Darkness (Paladin Warriors, #1)
  • Eternity and a Day (Desires of the Otherworld, #1)
  • Degrees of Wrong
Kylie Griffin’s addiction to all things paranormal started at an early age when she imagined the jacaranda tree in her front yard was a spaceship or castle tower used to defend the world from hordes of invading enemies. Writing stories seemed like a natural extension.

By day she’s a primary school teacher but at night she writes paranormal romances for the Berkley Sensation line. She credits two wo
More about Kylie Griffin...

The Light Blade (3 books)
  • Alliance Forged (The Light Blade, #2)
  • Allegiance Sworn (The Light Blade, #3)

“As much as I like you in my shirt, I'd rather see it on the floor.” 15 likes
“Say it again, Na’Chi.”
“I love you, Light Blade,”