Start by marking “Todas las Cosas Brillantes y Hermosas” as Want to Read:
Todas las Cosas Brillantes y Hermosas

Todas las Cosas Brillantes y Hermosas (All Creatures Great and Small #3-4)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  54,952 Ratings  ·  590 Reviews
Ediciones Grijalbo S.A. Buenos Aires, Argentina.
Traducción: Amparo García Burgos (de la 1ª edic. St.Martin Press, 1974).
Grijalbo Bestsellers.

Al igual que en TODAS LAS CRIATURAS GRANDES Y PEQUEÑAS, el libro que lo lanzó a la fama, James Herriot nos hace compartir su epopeya diaria de veterinario rural, en cuyas peripecias campean el humor y, sobre todo, la ternura ante el
Published June 22nd 1982 by Grijalbo S.A. (Argentina) (first published 1973)

Jason Koivu
Dogs, cows, horses, sheep, cats and more die, while others are saved, some miraculously so in this continuation of James Herriot's series based on his experiences as a vet in the Yorkshire Dales of Northern England.

The gorgeous Yorkshire Dales...
description

The vast and windswept Yorkshire Dales...
description

This time around the country vet deals with drunk farmers, gets drunk on the job himself, has his Christmas spirit dashed and renewed all in one day, laments the disappearance of horses from farms, puts up with a
Melissa
Mar 12, 2007 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In fact it set me to thinking about the big question of how girls might be expected to behave after marriage. One old farmer giving me advice about choosing a wife once said; "Have a bloody good look at the mother first, lad. " and I am sure he had a point. But if I may throw in my own little word of counsel it would be to have a passing glance at how she acts towards her father.

Watching her now as she got down and started to serve my breakfast the warm knowledge flowed through me as it did so
Nate
May 15, 2008 Nate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series - of which I have now read the first two - is the most fun you can have reading books. They make you want to go to Scotland, hole up in a cottage, drink tea and read some more James Herriot. I don't want these books to ever end. As an aside, this isn't a novel, rather its a collection of short stories, each one just the right length for before bed.
Abigail Hartman
Just about as hilarious as "All Creatures Great and Small," although I felt a rising panic every time Granville Bennett showed up. Towards the end of the book World War II arrives and Herriot, Tristan, and Siegfried have to enlist, so there were some moving chapters when James takes leave of the Dales. As with the first book, plenty of drinking (Granville Bennett!) and swearing (Siegfried!).
Emily
Jan 23, 2015 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, memoirs, 2015
Gorgeous. A slightly more mature follow-up to "All Creatures Great and Small." In this collection, Herriott is married, gets drunk on the job, and cares for a variety of pets and farm animals. I'll listen to the other "sequels" but I'm in less of a hurry to do so than after the first of the series.
Elizabeth McDonald
Dec 26, 2008 Elizabeth McDonald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers, people wanting to feel a little better about the world
Shelves: british, biography
I always enjoy rereading James Herriot's memoirs of his experiences as a veterinarian in Yorkshire in the first half of the previous century. His tales of treating farm animals and household pets, and of the human characters he met along the way, are what I have to describe as "heart-warming". They're not saccharine, though, I promise. He's funny, too. Even though I've read his stories multiple times since middle school, I find myself laughing aloud.

This book comes second in the standard sequenc
Michael
Feb 06, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are some books you read where you just wish you could live in the world the writer portrays. James Herriot is like that for me. His stories of 30s rural Yorkshire life as a vet are warm and engaging, funny and lively. He has the ability to stir the soul, as when he writes about treating the last plow horse before tractors take over farmwork, and the funnybone, as when he describes his dealing with his crazy boss, Sigfreid.

This is another book of short stories, loosely held together as one
Emily Collins
Jun 26, 2012 Emily Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Herriot book, they're just so.. soothing to read. I mean, nothing much really seems to happen. You don't ever hang on the edge of your seat because of the suspense, it's just... pleasant. Here, let me tell you about these wonderful animals I once treated in a nice farm out in Yorkshire. That's all this book is somehow, and yet I love it! It's wonderful!
Of course, it helped that I was reading this while on holiday in Britain, so I was going to all these places mentioned in the book, which
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 15, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The James Herriot books are a bright memory from a difficult time in my life. Struggle lightened by the laughter brought through these pages. Also some painful moments because life has it's painful moments and they can't be avoided. He told them just as he told the others. While I have read that the stories related here were not necessarily told in order or as they happened exactly, this is a wonderful book (these are wonderful books) not to be missed.

I can't recommend these highly enough.
Brittany
May 04, 2011 Brittany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All Things Bright and Beautiful picks up where All Creatures Great and Small leaves off: with Jim's wedding to Helen. (I remember as a kid it confused the heck out of me that the books didn't go in the same order as the lines in the hymn did.) However, the book is not strictly chronological. One of the things that makes it such a leisurely, wonderful read is that the chapters are mostly self-contained.

This is a wonderful book to listen to on a road trip because the chapters read a bit like shor
Eligah Boykin jr.
Jan 16, 2013 Eligah Boykin jr. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I enjoyed this book because it is essentially about work and how to make your work a career you can be proud to remember in your retirement. Newly married and yet still subject to calls at all hours of the day and night, Herriot has the slightly world weary amusement of a country veterinarian. This book is great because you get to meet animals with personalities as eccentric as their owners and appreciate what it is like to deal with pregnant horses, cows, pigs and goats. The author also has a g
Sep 21, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was like a trip down memory lane... I was one of millions of children who watched the old TV series so many years ago. This time I listened to the audiobook; a very relaxing and enjoyable autobiographical collection of anecdotes and short stories leading up to the Second World War. Totally recommendable to anyone who likes animals and rural life in general.
Julie
Sep 15, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On audio another wonderful continuation of James Herriot's veterinary adventures on the Yorkshire Dales and Moors as well as in the town of Darrowby. Loved all the stories of working and healing the animals (esp. the dog stories). My only gripe is on audio, the music that comes in and out is a bit distracting, but that's minor. This book wasn't quite as good as the first, probably because he meets and courts Helen in the first, but it was still great! Really special on audio too for you get the ...more
Barb
Mar 11, 2014 Barb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this delightful series of books back in the 1970s when they were first released. I was a teenager then, and I find that a lot of the books I loved as a teenager are not as enjoyable to me when I reread them as an adult. Not the case here. Although I did listen to the audio version this time instead of actually reading the book, I found it just as delightful and pleasant as I did when reading it all those years ago. The reader on the audio version's voice complemented the written word, and ...more
Melissa
Sometimes it became difficult to continue reading story after story of farm after farm visit by Mr. James Alfred "Alf" Wight. But just as it felt the same, suddenly the mood shifted and my hope would soar again. For "Jim" would pen a delightful triumph, of a surgery or delivery which righted all in the world. I think my favorite was the easy, yet unlikely pairing of Mrs. Donovan with Roy, after the death of her beloved, Rex. What a wonder, the faithful love of that needy dog with the lonely & ...more
Valerie
The titles of these books were different in Britain, and so the books are somewhat out of order for Americans. The American editions have the text of the hymn in the front. It's such a beautiful poem that I wondered why I hadn't ever heard the hymn before. Then I heard it...and it's AWFUL. Somebody would be doing the lyrics a significant favor to reset them to different music. If even my cousin, who consistently won audiences with his dynamite Al Jolson impression couldn't make it sound good...

H
Dale
Apr 14, 2008 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chana
I love this book, and all the books in the James Herriot "vitinery" series. I always cry when I read them; from the love of the animals, the beauty of the Yorkshire Dales, the power of love and laughter in the writing, and a nostalgia for that time and place although I was not born yet nor am I British. I've read this book before and will probably read it again. These stories of the animals and people of the Yorkshire Dales and their veterinarian James Herriot are classics and beloved by animal ...more
Jefferson
Aug 09, 2015 Jefferson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
"Isn't that grand to see!"
Reading James Herriot's stories of being a vet in Yorkshire in the late 1930s is like eating comfort food for the body and drinking tonic for the soul. In his second omnibus book, All Things Bright and Beautiful (1974), James has been working in the Yorkshire country community of Darrowby for over two years, and is still living in Skeldale House with his boss Siegfried Farnon and his boss' younger brother Tristan, who is still studying to be a vet. In the first chapter
Bob Anderson
May 19, 2015 Bob Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second of James Herriot’s novels in their combined American format, and if you enjoyed the first, All Creatures Great and Small, this one delivers many of the same appealing types of stories, though not quite to the same great effect as some of the highlights from that first book. For those unfamiliar with these books’ style, they are part novel, part short story collection, and part memoir. The main character is the pseudonymous Herriot, a veterinarian in a beautiful, bucolic, 1930‘ ...more
Laura Westmeyer
Mar 14, 2015 Laura Westmeyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herriot did it again - another brilliant novel, just like his former book, All Creatures Great and Small. This one was a continuation of All Creatures, where we join Herriot in the next stage of his life as a veternarian in Darrowby, this time married and with his own practice.

There are notable, interesting differences between this book and All Creatures.

In All Creatures, Herriot had just moved out to the country and begun his bachelor life as a new vet. The book was more humorous and whimsical
Heidi Yuen
Dec 25, 2014 Heidi Yuen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love Makes Us Dignified
All things bright and beautiful

All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord made them all.
——Cecil Frances Alexander 1818 - 1895

The dog that looks on chasing carriages as a practice of art, the old cat that spurs riots among the others...All Things Bright and Beautiful is a biographical book filled with miraculous tales of animals and hilarious anecdotes of people the author meets along the way. As a rural vet in the
Christian Helfrich
I never get tired of these books. More great stories about being a veterinarian in the Yorkshire Dales in the '20s through the interwar years. The stories are tremendously entertaining, and sometimes quite touching. I particularly liked the passage where Siegfried, the senior partner at the veterinary clinic, dresses down James for conducting a cursory exam of an enormous, truculent wolfhound--"Well God help us, James. It's a bloody poor thing!" Siegfried insists on making the wolfhound's next v ...more
Katrice
Jan 11, 2016 Katrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not an unbiased review.

See, for the longest time, I wanted to be James Herriot.

I thought there could be no finer thing then to spend the days outdoors among nature and the animals, then go back home and write about it at night.

I wanted to be James Herriot. Hell, there's probably a part of me that still kinda wants to be James Herriot.

It's mostly his life, but also largely the way that he describes his life. The pictures he manages to paint with is words of the bleak, harsh beauty of his
Abby
Sep 02, 2015 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A charming collection of anecdotes about James Herriot's life as a country vet in Scotland in the early 1900s. I have a very special place in my heart for Mr. Herriot, and I love veterinary stories, so of course I love this book. Herriot's writing style is so disarming and accessible that everyone is sure to relate to him and grow fond of him.
Sydney
Sep 30, 2015 Sydney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book warmed my heart.
James Herriot has created such a beautiful and heartfelt sequel that is just as good as the first one. I was delighted that some of the same characters were still in the short stories, like Tristan and Siegfield. It was an absolute relief to escape the whirling hectic reality and to be submersed in the tranquil beauty of the Yorkshire farms.
James is now married to Helen in the upstairs room of the Siegfield house. Tristen and Siegfield are still the same old lighthear
Darren
Dec 27, 2014 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful sequel. The kids loved this one as much as the first.
Primadonna
May 21, 2013 Primadonna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE THIS BOOK. I chuckle a lot when it comes to larger-than-life Granville. I don't care much about cricket thingie but other chapters are fun. Sometimes they bring me tears as well. Bless you, for writing this wonderful book, James Alfred Wight!
Lynne Stringer
I enjoyed the continuing story of James Herriot's Yorkshire. While there's no doubt there would be many colourful characters in that part of the world, it takes a good writer to bring them to life in this way.
Very enjoyable.
Emily
Feb 09, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The man can tell a story! This one was as good as his first one, All Creatures Great and Small. I love each little anecdote about his veterinary practice. A light read and very entertaining.
i can't get thru it. 33 183 May 07, 2013 01:43PM
Yorkshire 3 25 Dec 06, 2012 01:28PM
  • The Real James Herriot: A Memoir of My Father
  • Never Cry Wolf
  • Born Free: A Lioness of Two Worlds (Story of Elsa, #1)
  • The Incredible Journey
  • The Cat Who Came for Christmas (Compleat Cat #1)
  • Gorillas in the Mist
  • A Zoo in My Luggage
  • The Cat Who Went to Paris
  • Brighty of the Grand Canyon
  • Belles on Their Toes
  • Big Red
  • The Man Who Listens to Horses
  • Ring of Bright Water (Ring of Bright Water, #1)
  • James Herriot: The Life of a Country Vet
James Herriot is the pen name of James Alfred Wight, OBE, FRCVS also known as Alf Wight, an English veterinary surgeon and writer. Wight is best known for his semi-autobiographical stories, often referred to collectively as All Creatures Great and Small, a title used in some editions and in film and television adaptations.

In 1939, at the age of 23, he qualified as a veterinary surgeon with Glasgow
More about James Herriot...

All Creatures Great and Small (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • If Only They Could Talk