Start by marking “Unpossible and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Unpossible and Other Stories

Unpossible and Other Stories

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The short stories in this first collection by Daryl Gregory run the gamut from science fiction to contemporary fantasy, with a few stories that defy easy classification. His characters may be neuroscientists, superhero sidekicks, middle-aged heroes of children's stories, or fanatics spreading a virus-borne religion, but they are all convincingly human. Includes two never-b ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Fairwood Press

To ask other readers questions about Unpossible and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unpossible and Other Stories

Carol.
Mind = blown.

I can only read this one story at a time, because my brain needs a cool-down.
Miquel Codony
Como casi todas las antologías es un poco desigual, pero mi opinión sobre los libros de Daryl Gregory sigue siendo estupenda. Recupero algún comentario cuento a cuento.

1. SECOND PERSON, PRESENT TENSE
El principio recuerda un poco al Greg Egan de algunos relatos, con su interés en explorar la naturaleza de la conciencia a partir de la neurociencia, aunque la intención del cuento parece otra. Aparentemente está más interesado en las relaciones entre las personas. Es un cuento bonito,sutil y más bi
Pinky
A whole-year collection! I have loved Gregory's novels, and wanted to simply tuck in to this, as if a meal. Instead--what fortitude and willpower!--I spread it out, nibbling away each month or so. I love how open to risky innovation the author is, but , for all the terrific riffing on tropes and conventions across the spectrum of speculative fiction, Gregory consistently centers on strong characters. A very good writer--try these out, or circle back after you try out his novels.
Chip
Disappointing. I didn't particularly like any of these stories, or think much of the collection as a whole. Many seem to lack conclusion or even a sense of finale. Enjoyed his novels Pandemonium and Stony Mayhall; didn't find The Devil's Alphabet to be on their level, and unfortunately think the same is true of this collection.
Gerri Leen
Daryl Gregory is an inspiration when it comes to imagination, world-building strangeness into everyday life, and the density of the sensory detail. I love his novels and I loved most of the short stories in this book. There was only one that I really could not get into, so I ended up skipping it, but the rest were vivid and just so damn good. If you haven't read his books, start with Pandemonium. I think that is my favorite, followed by Raising Stony Mayhall. Or if you like short works, start wi ...more
Jacqie
I'm not always a fan of the short story, but I've really enjoyed the couple of Daryl Gregory novels I've read so I thought I'd give these a try too.

I often find that short stories tend to be darker than novels, maybe because a short story has to give an emotional punch in a much shorter space and so can't vary the mood as much. No exception in these stories. I don't tend to enjoy reading darker moods as much, although the story subjects are all interesting and thoughtful. I find Gregory's novels
Elisabeth Rose
This masterful collection forces the hemispheres of your brain into conflict—you want to slow down and savor the artful language yet race forward to gobble up the plot. Gregory guns the momentum with fast-forward gaps in the narrative structure that never leave you behind. Rather these stories slingshot you to childlike delight even while you’ll finish them smarter, more mature, more weighted with wisdom than you knew you could be. I admire the heck out of this book.

The opening sequence of the
Stephen
A very good collection of short stories from a great writer of speculative fiction. My favorite from this collection is the excellent Damascus, about religious zealots who contaminate a city's blood banks to share with people "the blood of Christ." Other stand outs, Second Person, Present Tense (a young girl experiences a radical personality change), Glass (a therapist injects empathy and remorse into a serial killer), Dead Horse Point (a savant with severe ADD loses herself in herself) and Pers ...more
Donna Nova
My own probable attention failure.

I was so excited after reading Devil's Alphabet and Pandemonium. This cover got me too.
I liked most of the stories, but I was looking for the weirdness I found in the above mentioned. Not that there was not enough weird to be found. I suppose I enjoy character development too much for short stories. So, I admit to it being my own failure and will go on reading everything else he's written because there is no one like him.
G.G. Silverman
An incredible short story collection that encompasses everything from magical realism, to spec/sci-fi, to horror, to humor and superheroes. Ranges the gamut from laugh-out-loud funny to squirm-in-your-seat horror. Looking forward to reading more of his work.
Eliza Victoria
An insanely good short story collection. There are really fresh ideas here about consciousness and physics, coupled with religion and human folly. Heartbreaking fantasy, too. My favorites are “Second Person, Present Tense”, the title story “Unpossible”, and “The Illustrated Biography of Lord Grimm”, which is set in a country resembling Russia and where Superman is the villain. Gregory was raised a Southern Baptist and works as a programmer, and the influence of both worlds is clear in his fictio ...more
Sue
I'm a huge fan of Daryl Gregory's novels and was very excited to read this collection of his stories. I found it fascinating and entertaining, if a bit uneven. None were less than good, a couple of the stories were, in my opinion, stellar. Mr. Gregory has the ability to change his style of writing so that each novel, each story is quite different and unique. I personally find that to work better in long form, giving me more time to adapt to the style and engage with the characters. In a couple o ...more
Bogdan Lascu
Unul dintre cele mai tari volume de povestiri de autor parcurse vreodata.

Imaginatie si talent cat cuprinde!
Hannah
Gregory's ability to write in various styles is really amazing. Whether the story was about psychological intrigue or sci-fi, the writing was different, engaging, and yet felt completely natural. Each story made me want to seek out another and absorb as much as his story telling as possible. I highly recommend this.
Michelle
Gems of stories. Brilliantly written.
David Marshall
This is a terrific collection, capturing and exploring the strengths and weaknesses of what it means to be human. Whether as a parent experiencing the loss of a child or as a young man who watches the death of his best friend or as an ex-college roommate who is suddenly invited back into the life of a genius, there can be pain but also the possibility of great joy. It just depends on how thing play out.

Andrea
Yep--I still think Daryl Gregory is amazing.
Tim Hicks
There's quite a range of stories here. Several are in the "what the heck is going ON here?" sub-genre, but Gregory never leaves us wondering too long. Several of the stories indicate that Gregory has a WILD imagination and knows how to use it. And he seems to understand very clearly what a short story should be: complex but focused and complete in itself.

I'll look for more of Gregory's work. This guy is a real SF/F writer.
Megan Baxter
Daryl Gregory has been one of my favourite discoveries of the past couple of years. I've read two of his novels, Pandemonium and Raising Stony Mayhall and fallen quite in love with them. This time, I was settling down to read his short stories, and by far and large, I enjoyed them quite a lot. But there's also a way in which what I like most about this author is better displayed in longer formats.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcem
Mike
Good collection, contains an early version of one of his novels.
Eddie Dobiecki
I liked this. I'm a fan of short stories, and to be completely honest, my review may well be colored by my disappointment in recent reads. However, I really liked Pandemonium, and this short story collection did not disappoint. It created worlds, fully realized, and explored the stories of the people in these worlds. It hit a nerve within comicbookery, which is an untapped cultural resource.
Chuk
Great stuff, mostly short, lots of stories involving brain or mind issues, most of them set in something recognizeably pretty close to the real world, got the super-hero influence in there that I like. He has a bit of a literary twist to him but they are more on the SF side of the line between the two.
If you like Joe Hill, I bet you'd like Daryl Gregory (I liked his novels too.)
Mariochampion
I love this collection, and I hardly think of myself as a sci-fi fan. There's a clever balance between science and humanity in these stories, andwhile there are some robots and rocketships too, the relationships of altered people and altered lives are really what compelled me to read this book straight thru. Seriously, the first and last stories alone are worth it. IMHO
John
These stories usually have a clever, thought-provoking premise. Yes, hitting puberty is sort of like a drug that changes you into another person. (Maybe I'd better not go into examples, for fear of spoiling the surprises.) But once I got the premise, I really wasn't interested in reading the rest of the story.
Camille
This is how you create a superlative short story collection: take a theme that matters, then build a core of challenging, poignant, funny, creative stories exploring your core thesis, and make sure it's written by a man who's as brilliant in person as on paper. Voila.
Kathy
Jun 08, 2012 Kathy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
Short stories, each taking something familiar and giving it a twist. Example: God *wanted* Adam and Eve to eat the fruit, he had already created perfectly obedient beings (angels), and getting kicked out of Eden was their graduation. Way cool.
Christopher
Beautifully produced book. I've always liked Daryl Gregory's novels, but I hadn't read much of his short fiction before. These range from good to great, and some are straight-up knockouts.
Ann Wilkes
Full review on Science Fiction and Other ODDysseys:
Bill
A strong collection of short stories by an author who's adept at both science fiction and fantasy.
Phil
Four and a half. You should read this one.
  • Two Worlds and in Between
  • Errantry: Strange Stories
  • Fugue State
  • The Third Bear
  • Jagannath
Award-winning author of Pandemonium, The Devil's Alphabet, and Raising Stony Mayhall.

He is also the writer of comics such as Dracula: The Company of Monsters and Planet of the Apes, both from BOOM! Studios.

His first collection of short stories is Unpossible and Other Stories, by Fairwood Press (October, 2011).

Daryl lives in State College, Pennsylvania.
More about Daryl Gregory...
Raising Stony Mayhall Pandemonium Afterparty We Are All Completely Fine The Devil's Alphabet